Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Christian McCaffrey and the Death of the Black Identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
With Kuechly and McCaffery, the Carolina Panthers have a new identity, White Guys Getting Massive Concussions

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

lmao

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Howard and Cohen are the best running back duo in the nfl. Thunder and lightning bby

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
To be clear I don't think the actual players changing had much if anything to do with it. It seems to be more of a conscious decision by management to whitewash the team to keep it politically and family friendly and inoffensive to anyone. This goes all the way back to Jerry telling Cam he wasn't allowed to get tattoos. Now it's manifesting in the team not being allowed to have a personality or do anything at all that would offend suburban white moms. Including kneeling today.

I guess it's disheartening to see my team reduced to a product that we're sold while so many other teams are just starting to remind the world that they're made up of real people. So many teams saw their owners risk alienating their fanbase to make a statement in defense of their team (sure, some statements were pretty loving lukewarm, but still). The last stand Jerry Richardson took was to gently caress the players in the CBA negotiations.

I guess what I'm saying is... that guy in my avatar? gently caress that guy.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 25, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

I'm not watching this dumb bullshit game for millionaires any more, but it's cool seeing every middle class, red faced, chubby white person in america have a stroke at once. I hope they all die.

I'm not going to go as far as "I hope they all die" but my social media is soaked with screaming ragespittle and it's both hilarious and unnerving. (And I am a middle-class chubby white person. Not usually red-faced though.)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the brown family statement on all of this was that mixing politics and football is very bad and should never happen

I guess what i'm saying is I'm glad the Bengals lost.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The 2013 Seahawks were so much blacker. Then the 2014 Seahawks were pretty black too and the White Identity Patriots whipped their asses. 2014 wasn't a good year for football.

The 2017 Seahawks seemed to have internalized the beating they received at the hands of GoAT Tom Brady, and now their identity is a Whack one. It's not very good.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

:vince:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

It sucks losing to the Bills but at least it happened to my ungulate bros

Every quarterback has his bad daysfire trevor into the sun

Not having Bolles doesn't help though

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Well that's a Week 4: N/V title if I've ever seen one

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My Von Miller jersey is sleeping on the couch tonight

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

going from superfan steph curry to a white running back. how far the mighty have fallen

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
What a goofy football weekend. Between that absolutely insane and dumb end to that lions game and weird poo poo like Chicago beating Pittsburg and Washington stomping on Oakland I don't even know what to think anymore. I didn't get a chance to watch that bears game, I'm assuming they won because the steelers poo poo the bed? Given how rough the packers looked today I'm worried about how Thursday is going to shape up.

On the bright side from what I saw king looked decent, or at least as decent as you can expect a rookie cb to look. Jones was Ballin out all over so at least there are a few bright spots on this stressful as all hell to watch defense. I don't know what adjustments got made at half time or if the Bengals just decided to not score anymore but they seemed to hold their own down the stretch and give Rodgers the possessions he needed to work his magic football elf stuff that he does.

If king, Jones, and Martinez continue to develop that would go an awful long way in patching up that side of the ball and taking at least a little pressure of Rodgers. Also would be nice if our oline could get healthy because our backups are not back up caliber, they really suck.

Sorry lions Bros that's a lovely way to go out. Made me think of the fail Mary game all over again

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Sorry lions Bros that's a lovely way to go out. Made me think of the fail Mary game all over again

If only the Lions had their own previous incident with the refs screwing them :thunk:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Pokemaster #421 posted:

What a goofy football weekend. Between that absolutely insane and dumb end to that lions game and weird poo poo like Chicago beating Pittsburg and Washington stomping on Oakland I don't even know what to think anymore. I didn't get a chance to watch that bears game, I'm assuming they won because the steelers poo poo the bed?

The Steelers just had their usual "play down to a lovely team" game that you can bank on happening once or twice a year. Embarrassing run defense against a team that couldn't pass and one of their running backs was causing at least one injury timeout per series in the 4th. The Bears tried really hard to give the game away between Glennon's terrible passing, penalties, and that shameful goal line strip on the blocked FG, but they didn't have an answer for Steeler defenders creating wide open lanes and missing tackles on every rushing attempt.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Aaron Rodgers is a coward

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
On one hand, some Lions fans are pointing out that it took them 7 seconds to get a snap off off the back of a 27 yard play, while some are contesting the exact time Tate went down in regards to the clock. I'm bitching about the series of ridiculous penalties prior to the fauxdown, plus letting Atlanta getting so far head in the first place

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I'm just finding out that Gillette ran out of bottled water and started charging people $5 for gross sink water :laffo:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I'm just finding out that Gillette ran out of bottled water and started charging people $5 for gross sink water :laffo:

Dan Snyder kicks a rock and goes, "Goddamn, why didn't I think of that first?"

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

On an unrelated note I'm really disappointed that no Panthers took a knee. It seems like an odd thing to be concerned about, but it just seems like none of them care. I know that they probably got the order from Jerry (which in itself is a GIGANTIC problem) but just a few short years ago people were low key saying the Panthers were "too black" (looking at you Tennessee mom). The Superbowl squad was a really loving black team and it kind of felt like a part of their identity. This team no longer has an identity and it makes them tough to watch on sundays.
So that's the key to a championship squad. Can't wait for Belichick to have the entire team in blackface.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Also one last thing about that Chiefs game: T. Williams and Inman are both playing poor. I was hoping Williams would take a step forward but his route running is as sloppy as last season's and Inman just isn't getting open. Granted the Denver and KC secondaries are great, but they weren't doing much against Miami either.

Allen's still really loving good though after the knee injury, so at least they have a WR who can get open right now.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Packers OL is a loving mess right now. Thank father Helel for Aaron Rodgers.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Steelers just had their usual "play down to a lovely team" game that you can bank on happening once or twice a year. Embarrassing run defense against a team that couldn't pass and one of their running backs was causing at least one injury timeout per series in the 4th. The Bears tried really hard to give the game away between Glennon's terrible passing, penalties, and that shameful goal line strip on the blocked FG, but they didn't have an answer for Steeler defenders creating wide open lanes and missing tackles on every rushing attempt.

Just lol @ blaming that loss on the defense. The Bears O ain't great, but it's still an nfl offense that the steelers held to essentially 7 points in regulation (the Bears scored 10 on drives that started on the steelers' 1 and 29 due to special teams fuckups).

This one is on the special teams and the quarterback, who repeatedly missed wide open guys all day.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason Ben couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for pretty much that whole game.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

seiferguy posted:

Someone mentioned this was a lot like that game against the Chargers in 2014 where it was super hot and the defense got gassed. 90 degrees and a lot of players were cramping up. Football isn't meant to be played in this weather. No excuse since Tennessee played in it, but I'm more concerned about lasting injuries now.

Listen I'm not saying it's the reason and I'm not mad about it and have this spirit of generosity but it's simply unfair to the sport to ever play it outside a 65-80 F temperature range and any game played outside that range basically doesn't count

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
How hot was it in the Midwest yesterday? It got to 91 here in upstate NY.

It's like August got here a month late after an early September.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

On one hand, some Lions fans are pointing out that it took them 7 seconds to get a snap off off the back of a 27 yard play, while some are contesting the exact time Tate went down in regards to the clock. I'm bitching about the series of ridiculous penalties prior to the fauxdown, plus letting Atlanta getting so far head in the first place

I posted about it earlier in the thread, but the Lions had a lot of issues on both sides of the ball. Whether it was the defense being straight-up run over for 3 1/2 quarters or the offense wasting a ton of opportunities to score points, it was a game that the Lions could have straight-up won without controversy had they actually managed to execute before the final three minutes.

That said, I actually feel good about the Lions-even failing to execute, they came within inches and ref fuckery of beating one of the best teams in the league. Considering that this was a year that a ton of people were expecting them to regress to 7-9 or even 6-10, I think the Lions have shown they have the ability to beat every one of the teams they have on the schedule going down the stretch-so long as the offense is actually able to score points, and Davis comes back on defense.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I can see this as either a thesis topic for a university degree, or a lovely ESPN article such as what if Michael Vick was white?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

pasaluki posted:

I can see this as either a thesis topic for a university degree, or a lovely ESPN article such as what if Michael Vick was white?

Harry Potter crossfic where the NFC South teams are the 4 Hogwarts houses

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fenrir posted:

How hot was it in the Midwest yesterday? It got to 91 here in upstate NY.

It's like August got here a month late after an early September.

90 at Lambeau at kickoff. Hottest Packer home game ever.

That makes the temp difference between hottest and coldest games (that matter) 105 degrees.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Kalli posted:

Harry Potter crossfic where the NFC South teams are the 4 Hogwarts houses

gently caress that's even better.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

There are 8 2-1 AFC teams.

Jesus.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SD87 posted:

Howard and Cohen are the best running back duo in the nfl. Thunder and lightning bby

I can't believe how well cohen is playing. turns out having a good interior line makes for good rushing plays and nothing else, even when that interior line is constantly hurt

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Butt Stuff posted:

Jesus.

:smugdog:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Having finally had the Tony Romo Experience, I hope to the gods he continues to study game film all the time because he knew his poo poo so well and doesn't lose that part.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

Jesus.

4 of them play each other next weekend (Steelers - Ravens, Broncos - Raiders), two of them play NFC South teams (Pats - Panthers and Bills - Falcons) and the Jaguars get the Jets while the Titans get the Texans.

Gonna be good stuff :toot:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Jesus.

Maybe we should start the 18-1 watch instead of the 19-0 watch...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This was Watson's best throw of the game. A great adjustment and bullet to a well covered guy:

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/912308906885599232

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Every team in the NFL looks flawed except for the Chiefs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

DariusLikewise posted:

Every team in the NFL looks flawed except for the Chiefs