Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Draw in MIDI sustain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Popcorn posted:

Thanks. OK, so there's no clean way to do what I'm wondering. Making a longer clip (it would have to be very long for the amount of use this clip gets) defeats the object of using loops. Oh well.

Er?

The first suggestion I made keeps the clip the same length, it just "starts" later and moves the first note of the clip to the "end" of it. Changing the start offset of the clip will cause Live to play the clip from the desired first note, but will retain the full length of the last one. It's very clean, I use this technique all the time.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Is that by any chance for a portamento/bend? If so just draw in pitch automation on the first note?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
You can have a note starting before the start of the loop and have it end within the loop, and it'll sustain correctly. Like this:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

HandlingByJebus posted:

Er?

The first suggestion I made keeps the clip the same length, it just "starts" later and moves the first note of the clip to the "end" of it. Changing the start offset of the clip will cause Live to play the clip from the desired first note, but will retain the full length of the last one. It's very clean, I use this technique all the time.

Doesn't that mean the clip now has to be repositioned to sync it with everything else? If so that's what I'm already doing and it's a little annoying.

wayfinder posted:

You can have a note starting before the start of the loop and have it end within the loop, and it'll sustain correctly. Like this:

Thanks, but if I understand this correctly, it requires midi data to exist outside the actual loop thing. I just want to create a one-bar midi clip and have it loop in the way I want. (Disclaimer: I can achieve this already, just wondering if there's a cleaner way.)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Popcorn posted:

Thanks, but if I understand this correctly, it requires midi data to exist outside the actual loop thing. I just want to create a one-bar midi clip and have it loop in the way I want. (Disclaimer: I can achieve this already, just wondering if there's a cleaner way.)

What does that matter? If you loop that clip, it will sustain when the loop loops. MIDI data outside the loop doesn't effect anything.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

[quote="Popcorn" post="475691591"]
Doesn't that mean the clip now has to be repositioned to sync it with everything else? If so that's what I'm already doing and it's a little annoying.

No, it means that you shift the clip start/end to the right and move the clip start marker to the actual first note (or 0th beat). Don't have Live at work, I'll try to remember to screenshot and post an example when I get home.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Popcorn posted:

Yep, turns out I was being super dumb and misunderstanding this. Your method works perfectly! Thanks! Wish I'd known about this years ago.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
God drat Ned Rush videos. Should have spent the afternoon gardening but ended up doing this instead.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/169960122

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm a very noobish ableton user and I'm finally buying a new desktop that I'll be using it with. I'm currently using an m audio external interface so I wasn't planning on buying a sound card. I think I'm getting an i5. Is there anything else I should look for in a desktop?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
More RAM= better. The more you have the more plugins you can run without stuttering. 16gb is ideal, more than that is probably overkill atm.

What clock speed is the i5 you are looking at? Is it a 'K'?

An SSD for your OS and Ableton Live and then a bigger drive for samples etc. For some reason that currently eludes me, DAWS seem to prefer it when samples and whatever are on a separate drive. Its also handy if you go down the Kontakt route with huge libraries.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i5 is good but consider a Ryzen chip from AMD. Large multi-track projects love loads of cores and Ryzen (or the more expensive Threadrippers) have an embarrassment of physical cores.

SSD for OS is standard nowadays. Get a mech keyboard with fancy lights and a bigass 4k screen, jump into the future with us all.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Probably not the thread for it but does anyone use any of the Razer laptops? I currently use a Lenovo Y-50 laptop which is not bad, but definitely gets overloaded for CPU when I run even a couple instances of Serum within Ableton. I really love the portability of laptops but I am wondering if it makes more sense to purchase a desktop that I can use in my office instead of another laptop. The Razers look so drat cool though, haha.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm looking to buy to buy a used Push 2 on eBay for around $500. I'm usually willing to spend the extra cash to buy new and get some sort of solid return policy/warranty, but that's an extra $200ish. Are these things regarded as being solid/reliable?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Weirdly, I'm selling mine but I'm in the UK.

I've never heard of one breaking or getting damaged. They're a solid block of aluminium, it'd probably take a hammer to break it. The knobs and dials feels sturdy and the glass in the screen seems quite thick. They're built to last, at least externally.

That being said, they haven't been out that long, so it's kinda hard to say how they fare long-term.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Google Butt posted:

I'm looking to buy to buy a used Push 2 on eBay for around $500. I'm usually willing to spend the extra cash to buy new and get some sort of solid return policy/warranty, but that's an extra $200ish. Are these things regarded as being solid/reliable?

I use mine almost every day and it hasn't shown any signs of use. It's extremely well made. I think I ended up getting mine for 20% through Guitar Center, so there are some saving opportunities there. I'd check Reverb for sure.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

dj bobby bieber posted:

I use mine almost every day and it hasn't shown any signs of use. It's extremely well made. I think I ended up getting mine for 20% through Guitar Center, so there are some saving opportunities there. I'd check Reverb for sure.

This is the first I've heard of reverb, is there a reason to shop there instead of ebay?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Has anyone else looked at the new Komplete Kontrol Mk2 Keyboard/Workstations? I was really impressed with the DAW control that these have and it made me seriously consider one of the S49's over getting a Push2. I know that the Push2 has much tighter control over Ableton, but I prefer the ability to "play" on a keyboard. Has anyone demo'd one yet? Would be curious to see what others think of the new features.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Watched a video of one, it seems super nice but tbh I get the most mileage out of just clicking poo poo. I don't think i'll be dropping a huge amount of cash on any super fancy MIDI controllers going forward. I just want keys and some knobs.

It's really fun to jam on a Push, and the knobs are cool for live stuff, no doubt, but as far as composing music, a piano roll does it for me in a big way.

The MK2 looks rad, and if you're used to the "Workstation" workflow it's probably the best option out there, but to me, ableton's strength is in it's workflow, which has little to do with the old keyboard/workstation driven days.

my 2c.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Does anyone have this plugin? https://youtu.be/ip78LdnFoB4

Is it as fun as it looks?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there any known issues between using a Push and APC40 together? Because whenever I try it there are some weird updating and lag issues.

The most common occurs when I'm laying down a drum beat on the push and want to adjust the decay on some instruments- the top display on the Push sometimes doesn't update when I hit a new pad, so it ends up adjusting the decay on the previous sample I was tweaking.

It's weird- I want them to play together so well and it does work for most stuff. I think when there's overlap/redundancy between push controls and, say, the channel encoders on the APC40 it doesn't work as well.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

JVNO posted:

Is there any known issues between using a Push and APC40 together? Because whenever I try it there are some weird updating and lag issues.

The most common occurs when I'm laying down a drum beat on the push and want to adjust the decay on some instruments- the top display on the Push sometimes doesn't update when I hit a new pad, so it ends up adjusting the decay on the previous sample I was tweaking.

It's weird- I want them to play together so well and it does work for most stuff. I think when there's overlap/redundancy between push controls and, say, the channel encoders on the APC40 it doesn't work as well.

I never had those issues when I was running both. Are they on the same USB port? Try using/eliminating a hub, going to a faster hub, etc - something's not right there.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
APC40 Mk 1 or Mk 2? Push 1 or Push 2?

I have Push 2 and APC40 Mk1

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

JVNO posted:

APC40 Mk 1 or Mk 2? Push 1 or Push 2?

I have Push 2 and APC40 Mk1

Mk 1 both.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://twitter.com/mrbillstunes/status/910257295799578626

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

drat, cant seem to find any real info on it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

all i want is vst ranking and multiple projects open at the same time. and no crashes, and a pony.

Kinda surprised Mr. Bill doesn't even get a beta access. He'd be the perfect person to stress test it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I would already be ecstatic if I didn't have to manually send crash reports, what kind of 1998 bullshit is that.

Also, sandboxing ffs.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
This is what I need from Ableton 10, this would be my gold standard DAW.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

That looks very claustrophobic and I'm glad ableton decided not to hire that guy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It'd definitely take some getting used to. Actually, isn't that basically how bitwig looks?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

d0grent posted:

That looks very claustrophobic and I'm glad ableton decided not to hire that guy.

I don't find that at all? But then again I've produced with dual monitors ever since Ableton added the second screen option, so I have plenty of real estate to lose (and plenty to gain with a customizable interface).

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 25, 2017

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

There's not enough separation between each section the of DAW like there is in the current version. I bet I'd misclick things like a motherfucker in that UI.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I feel like a lot of people are looking for a new UI just because they want something fresh - not saying that's what you're looking for in particular, JVNO, but it's a sentiment I've seen a lot on Twitter.

I actually love Ableton's UI, I feel like it's incredibly functional and minimal. There's some functionality that I wish was there, especially around undocking windows and stuff like that, but that's more feature-oriented than UI styling. I'm not sure that they're going to stray too far from the UI as it is now.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

dj bobby bieber posted:

I feel like a lot of people are looking for a new UI just because they want something fresh - not saying that's what you're looking for in particular, JVNO, but it's a sentiment I've seen a lot on Twitter.

I actually love Ableton's UI, I feel like it's incredibly functional and minimal. There's some functionality that I wish was there, especially around undocking windows and stuff like that, but that's more feature-oriented than UI styling. I'm not sure that they're going to stray too far from the UI as it is now.

I also think the Ableton UI is really solid. Part of my job is to design user interfaces for web-based apps so I at least have some knowledge on the subject. Space is utilized well and there is practically no menu-diving. Search works great and makes it incredibly easy to find things even if you aren't the most organized person. For as much stuff as there is on the screen, it doesn't feel cramped or cluttered.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Google Butt posted:

Does anyone have this plugin? https://youtu.be/ip78LdnFoB4

Is it as fun as it looks?

I'm curious about this too. Tempted to pick it up but I haven't seen any videos on Youtube about it besides that one.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

dj bobby bieber posted:

The best part about Ableton's design is how straightforward everything's naming is. Sampler is called 'Sampler' and the amplifier modeller is named 'Amp'. The compressor is 'Compressor'. It's ridiculously simple and german, it's great. Things are named what they are. FL Studio and it's suite of products all have goofy names and it's confusing as hell. Ableton just didn't bother to get cute with names, it's all functional.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
when i look at that design i see this

too busy, too much crap, too many things going on and no real understanding of the modern user. it's a design that's trying to please everybody without saying "no" at any point. you can't keep saying yes to every demand and expect to have a functioning product at the end. in sum, it's exactly why you don't go to reddit to crowdsource your interface.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not 100% averse to a redesign, but honestly it'd be best if they changed it about as 8 > 9 was changed. It's not broke, do not attempt to fix. Just add little improvements over time, rather than an overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Ended up giving in and picking up the Chord player and its super cool. Was able to play the main riff of ELO's Evil Woman with only 3 buttons and coming up with chord progressions is a blast compared to remembering all the chord shapes (some of which I find awkward on push). My friend ended up picking it up too after seeing me mess around with it and its pretty intuitive to use and easy to setup.