Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mojo1701a posted:

And I'm not surprised Chapel rushed up there, considering Bones himself used to rush up to the bridge for every little thing.

I meant how it's long been established that Chapel had a thing for Spock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I saw IT tonight with my wife and we both enjoyed it. There's just one thing that bugged me about it. Pennywise utters the "Beep Beep Ritchie" line despite it never being said in the rest of the movie. Just an overall minor thing, but it seems jarring if you've read the book and the movie references something that didn't make it into the movie.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Beachcomber posted:

I meant how it's long been established that Chapel had a thing for Spock.

Oh. That I must've forgotten about.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

The transporters being down was, I'm pretty sure, so Kirk and Scotty could do a flyby of the Enterprise. Why they actually showed that scene (and why the starbase couldn't just beam people directly to those coordinates like they did on to planets) is still a mystery to me.

You're not sure why the very first Star Trek movie would go out of its way to show us a long, loving shot of one of the most iconic spaceships of all time?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Plus unlike Ledger, he was funny. The Joker is supposed to ease you into liking him because he makes you laugh or at least see the joke while doing terrible things whether they are childish super villain antics or outright murder and terrorism. Nicholson also did great with this, while dancing to prince, defacing paintings and murdering 30 people for no other reason than to introduce himself to Vickie Vale. I also loved his insane plot of causing a mixture of beauty/hygiene products to kill people in a complex manner to cause genuine fear and panic in the city.

My IMM with Ledger's joker is just that: he wasn't funny. As far as I can remember he never did anything purely for his own amusement or anything that wasn't in direct service of his plan to bring chaos to the city. He was a terrifying villain sure, but I think Leto and especially Nichols gave better performances as 'The Joker'.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly while he was kind of dumb when introduced they've done fun things with the Joker/Jerome in Gotham. I like the interplay he has with lil-Bruce, like in his latest arc in season 3 he kidnaps Bruce intending to kill him simply because he didn't get to last time, he was interrupted and intercepted. Due to circumstances beyond his control he's become New-52 joker with the dumb stapled on face, but there's a great moment when he's stapling himself back together in front on Bruce, and Bruce quips "That looks like it hurt." Jerome of course tried to shut him up by stapling his arm, but Bruce takes 3 of them before crying out, not even wincing at the first two. Then of course uses two of the staples to pick his handcuffs, resulting in him nearly beating Jerome to death after trying to escape him in a Hall of Mirrors, before he stops himself and makes his One Rule.

Really, that's shows pure insanity and insistence of saying "gently caress CANON! We're doing our own thing!" makes it a really fun watch for me - I know it's not good in the traditional sense, but I'm in for the ride as it is just so much fun to follow. The unexpected is always happening, like (Season 2 spoilers)Bruce arranging a kidnapping of himself and Silver St Cloud so that he could be "tortured" in another room until Silver told the captors what he wanted to know about his parents murder (She never would have told, she's been trained by her crazy father to withstand anything, but she didn't expect to fall for her mark). Bruce is completely nuts and it works really well with how the rest of the show is. Also Nora Fries is dead before Mr Freeze becomes his villain self because in an attempt to avoid becoming the thing that would drive her husband to madness she killed herself by switching the capsules in the cryogun with crap early revisions.

Honestly Bruce in the show is probably closer to Terry McGuness in a few respects, like he often buys time with Jerome by talking to him, provoking him into setting up some elaborate thing because "You're really gonna do it like this? Boooooring! As the foremost Son of Gotham, doesn't my death deserve an audience?!" instead of stonewalling him. And to his credit, Jerome knows hes just buying time but allows it because "drat it, he's right..."

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Sep 23, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jabby posted:

My IMM with Ledger's joker is just that: he wasn't funny. As far as I can remember he never did anything purely for his own amusement or anything that wasn't in direct service of his plan to bring chaos to the city. He was a terrifying villain sure, but I think Leto and especially Nichols gave better performances as 'The Joker'.

The pencil trick was pretty funny

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Randalor posted:

I saw IT tonight with my wife and we both enjoyed it. There's just one thing that bugged me about it. Pennywise utters the "Beep Beep Ritchie" line despite it never being said in the rest of the movie. Just an overall minor thing, but it seems jarring if you've read the book and the movie references something that didn't make it into the movie.

I did find that jarring as well, you're not alone. Maybe it was referenced once in a scene that was cut.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supposedly the sequel will have more moments with the kids so they could always go into it then.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tunicate posted:

He also does the thing with the grenade and loose thread from his suit.

I can understand people wanting over sized mallets and a couple of pies being thrown though.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

MariusLecter posted:

He also does the thing with the grenade and loose thread from his suit.

I can understand people wanting over sized mallets and a couple of pies being thrown though.
Free comedy tip, slick: the pie gag's only funny when the sap's got dignity. I guess it would have been a little funny if he had hit Patrick Leahy with a pie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I found kind of annoying about the Kingsman sequel is that it doesn't really address how the first one ends with most of the leaders of the world and the 1% all have their heads explode.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

muscles like this! posted:

Something I found kind of annoying about the Kingsman sequel is that it doesn't really address how the first one ends with most of the leaders of the world and the 1% all have their heads explode.

What i found really odd was how (spoilers for the first film) the US president is implied to be Obama. Even if the director says its not it's pretty clearly just plausible deniability. And he gets exploded but the second just uses "generic US movie president".

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I take it the world is now a utopia?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

What i found really odd was how (spoilers for the first film) the US president is implied to be Obama. Even if the director says its not it's pretty clearly just plausible deniability. And he gets exploded but the second just uses "generic US movie president".

Nah, I think he was pretty clearly supposed to be riffing on Trump.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly while he was kind of dumb when introduced they've done fun things with the Joker/Jerome in Gotham.
Gotham is the best super hero show.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nah, I think he was pretty clearly supposed to be riffing on Trump.

I dunno, it felt a step too far removed to be Trump. The whole "Drugs are bad, let the druggies die" thing could easily have been applied to both Bushes or Reagan. The southern accent didn't help either. At least in the Bush era we'd give him a terrible Bush impersonation.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Sep 24, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Supposedly the sequel will have more moments with the kids so they could always go into it then.

I hope so.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I never understood why Valentine thought that was a good idea. If it's only world leaders and the 1% who are going to survive, who will do things like pick vegetables and run power plants? poo poo like this falls over pretty quickly. It's like in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when they send off all of the supposedly useless citizens of whatever planet it was, including the phone sanitisers, and then they all died from a disease that spawned from a dirty telephone.

Was the sequel good? I heard it wasn't great, I'll probably wait for it to hit netflix or whatever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I enjoyed it, there's one scene that's over the top in a bad way but they also make it clear that Eggsy isn't exactly thrilled with what was going on which kind of mitigates it. The other major flaw of the movie is that the bad guy for it is basically barely there for the entire thing.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Memento posted:

Was the sequel good? I heard it wasn't great, I'll probably wait for it to hit netflix or whatever.

It was fun, not great. If you liked the first one and can catch it in a Dolby theatre, it's worth the price of the ticket.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Memento posted:

I never understood why Valentine thought that was a good idea. If it's only world leaders and the 1% who are going to survive, who will do things like pick vegetables and run power plants? poo poo like this falls over pretty quickly.

Maybe Valentine thought he could start and stop the violence at any time at will to eventually tweak the amount of surivors to what he wanted it to be. Shut down thing after just 30 minutes, see who is left, then if it's still too much, start up again. Etc.

Or that a greatest amount of death and violence would be centered statistically mostly in highly populated areas depending on where his SIM card (right?) was distributed. Folks who lived in far more rural areas would maybe not even have an opportunity to find victims for a massive kill frenzy before the broadcast was eventually shut off or they wouldn't even have had enough SIM cards in certain areas to trigger mass killing.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I really enjoyed kingsman 2, but I'm fairly sure that if someone spends days/weeks with their eyes open they're going to be pretty hosed. I mean maybe there's some people on eyedrop duty but anyone in any of those cages is walking out with serious issues.

But drat that was a fun movie.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Memento posted:

It retreads the first movie way too much for my taste but it's a really fun ride and for a movie like that, it's all you can really ask for.

I enjoyed it, there's one scene that's over the top in a bad way but they also make it clear that Eggsy isn't exactly thrilled with what was going on which kind of mitigates it.

Can you spoiler tag it? Wonder what you mean.

Gitro posted:

I really enjoyed kingsman 2, but I'm fairly sure that if someone spends days/weeks with their eyes open they're going to be pretty hosed. I mean maybe there's some people on eyedrop duty but anyone in any of those cages is walking out with serious issues.

Death happened only 12 hours after paralysis so not even a full day. I'm not a doctor though and don't know how badly that'd gently caress someone. I'm already thinking way too hard about this.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Sep 24, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Talking about the finger bang scene. It is just a really weirdly made scene as both the writing and acting make it clear that Eggsy doesn't want to do it but then it is filmed in the crassest way possible.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Talking about the finger bang scene. It is just a really weirdly made scene as both the writing and acting make it clear that Eggsy doesn't want to do it but then it is filmed in the crassest way possible.

Ah. Yeah, fair.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Death happened only 12 hours after paralysis so not even a full day. I'm not a doctor though and don't know how badly that'd gently caress someone. I'm already thinking way too hard about this.

Ah, I never really had a grasp on the timeline. I couldnt Google anything relevant and I don't feel like trying journals, so whatever. I guess they could breath while paralysed and blinking is mostly autonomic so maybe it was still going.

Anyway that whip stuff was really cool.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tunicate posted:

He had a few moments, it's just ironic that for a guy with the catchphrase 'why so serious?' he struck me as to way too serious to be the Joker.

To be fair the problem with making a gritty and realistic version of the Joker is that he's basically the antithesis to grit and realism, so it's more an inherent issue with the universe the movie inhabited than the performance.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Joker has had many, many different forms throughout comics and I'd argue Ledger was closer to the Joker's premiere in the 40s before the CCA made everything more cartoony.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Joker's been an ultimate badass who always seems to have a triple figure body count before Batman's even cottoned on to his latest scheme for years at this point. I don't know why people latched on to Ultimate Badass Joker because I don't think it's very interesting personally.

I like Cesar Romero best.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

oh god

I loved the hell out of both movies but I legit could not watch that scene without physically cringing. The meat mincer with Charlie and the new guy was probably the only part I had to actually look away from. Seems like they were going for even more over the top cartoony gore than the first one, though.

also Merlin noooooooooooooo :(

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Ledger was terrific and had plenty of funny moments. I laughed out loud several times and have no idea what you guys are talking about. Nicholson was great too, even if obviously different. Haven't seen Leto yet and have no desire to see SS but the clips of him I saw seemed fine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/AE_DavidS/status/903388614406672384

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Joker's been an ultimate badass who always seems to have a triple figure body count before Batman's even cottoned on to his latest scheme for years at this point. I don't know why people latched on to Ultimate Badass Joker because I don't think it's very interesting personally.

I like Cesar Romero best.

I've said this before, but about 10-15 years ago there was a bit in the comics for a few issues where it looked like the Joker was going to be portrayed as a sort of (almost) rational underworld boss right around the same time Lex Luthor seemed like he was sort of poised to be a madman villain.

I sort of wished this was a direction the comics could/would take him more for a while: The Joker's latest madness being manifest as 'sanity'.

He's going to be the type of criminal that used to run Gotham before the costumed crowd showed up. He's going to have an organized mob working for him. He's going to actually deal in profit-making criminal activity and fight people for territory. He's going to launder money and appear in public like a respectable businessman. He's still dressed like a clown, telling jokes, etc. while dressing down his lieutenants in a board room. I don't know how well doing the Joker as Kingpin or Penguin would work, or for how long you could keep it up, but I'd sort of be interested in seeing it play out.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've said this before, but about 10-15 years ago there was a bit in the comics for a few issues where it looked like the Joker was going to be portrayed as a sort of (almost) rational underworld boss right around the same time Lex Luthor seemed like he was sort of poised to be a madman villain.

I sort of wished this was a direction the comics could/would take him more for a while: The Joker's latest madness being manifest as 'sanity'.

He's going to be the type of criminal that used to run Gotham before the costumed crowd showed up. He's going to have an organized mob working for him. He's going to actually deal in profit-making criminal activity and fight people for territory. He's going to launder money and appear in public like a respectable businessman. He's still dressed like a clown, telling jokes, etc. while dressing down his lieutenants in a board room. I don't know how well doing the Joker as Kingpin or Penguin would work, or for how long you could keep it up, but I'd sort of be interested in seeing it play out.

I think the character could use a reboot like this, just for a change of pace, after the whole "cut off his own face" brand of ultraviolent insanity. Wasn't there some arc in the past couple of years where the Joker was implied, if not outright stated, to be like...a manifestation of some kind of primordial evil that's tied to Gotham? It'd be nice to see a more grounded version of him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Patattack posted:

I think the character could use a reboot like this, just for a change of pace, after the whole "cut off his own face" brand of ultraviolent insanity. Wasn't there some arc in the past couple of years where the Joker was implied, if not outright stated, to be like...a manifestation of some kind of primordial evil that's tied to Gotham? It'd be nice to see a more grounded version of him.

In Snyder's Endgame story Gordon discovered photos from 1910 with the Joker in them. But as it turned out it was just the Joker trying to gently caress with Batman's head.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Sep 25, 2017

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

JediTalentAgent posted:

So kinda who he was prior to being The Joker, when we got a flashback in Mask of The Phantasm? I think it was in Mask, anyway. He was a member of the mob or generic mob-ish gangsters, before he fell in a vat of chemicals that hosed up his skin and hair.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

JediTalentAgent posted:

Sounds a little like Black Mask(the villain not the movie).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
That's a thing, too. Black Mask and Penguin sort of operate in more mob-style of supercriminals that run Gotham. Folks like Two-Face, Joker, Riddler, Ivy, etc. never really feel like those aspects of crime come into play.

If you go the Joker trying to be Black Mask/Penguin type of character, I think you still need some sort of 'joke' to it all for the endgame. Everyone expects that he's doing all this for something big. A jokergas attack? Mass bombings? Mass kidnappings? Mass Arkham breakout? Poisoning the reservoir?

He'd have the resources, manpower, etc. to do almost anything. Run this for a while and you've got half the people trying to figure out what this is building towards and the other half just sort of accepting it. Gotham isn't just a city whose population is protected by Batman and that keeps criminals out. It's a city whose underworld is CONTROLLED by Joker, and that has just as much of a deterring quality to many criminals.

But what if his joke is that he takes control of the Gotham underworld, gets everyone fat and happy, makes people reliant and scared of him on that level, and then he intentionally destroys it? In one fell swoop, he 'destroys' the largest, most powerful, criminal organization in Gotham, something not even Batman could do... and look how that turns out for everyone? It's sort of a variation on the theme of Nolan's Dark Knight or that fan-theory that the Joker is the 'hero' of the Nolan trilogy.

In this version, though, you suddenly have several factions who were created, quiet, weakened and/or absent in his rise to power are now looking at Gotham's criminal power vacuum as an opportunity. Batman is stuck dealing with a new Gotham criminal community that thanks to prolonged Joker control he no longer has the same sort of long-term insights into. Batman long-running research of criminals, their methods, their means, their alliances, their motives, etc. It's almost all having to start back from square one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Year One, the Long Halloween and Dark Victory are basically a tale of how traditional mob families in Gotham start collapsing and are overtaken by costumed, gimmicky freaks not long after Batman appears on the scene. With the Joker possibly contributing, I forget the details. BTAS has something similar, with the first two seasons basically having a subtle arc of the fall of traditional organised crime and corrupt executives, and the rise of costumed supervillains. (interestingly, by the end of Justice League, the totally-not Legion of Doom basically formed as a supervillain mob because with the Justice League having gotten as big and organised as it is the supervillains themselves can't operate solo any more without getting their asses kicked)

The Joker as a functional mob boss is kinda implied to be his side gig in most incarnations which he uses to get the funding and manpower for his destructive whims. He does fairly well at it, what with having absolutely no scruples, and tending to recruit and command the fanatical loyalty of sociopaths and the mentally ill, and probably pays well given he doesn't really care about money. (most of the time, Joker's Millions being hilarious aside) Actually expanding his operation is another question, though it's well established that the Joker basically adopts whatever personality suits him at the time.