Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

haveblue posted:

never a more appropriate time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Had to rescue a classic from the bottom of last page.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Things like that just make me feel old. I remember having a PC with through-hole chips and a passively cooled CPU. We've moved on a long way since the days when hobbyists could design and build their own computer system by wire wrapping chips or whatever.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

my name is Reginald P. Linux

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Things like that just make me feel old. I remember having a PC with through-hole chips and a passively cooled CPU. We've moved on a long way since the days when hobbyists could design and build their own computer system by wire wrapping chips or whatever.

Much like most of the united states in general. Its hard to be a garage startup. You gotta spend 10 years of schooling to get caught up and even then the equipment is so expensive you can't do poo poo on your own you have to hook up and be beholden to a corp

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah apple and their like, much like the boomers that founded them, have done a great job of pulling the ladder up behind them, even if we discount the drastically higher baseline of technological sophistication these days.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah apple and their like, much like the boomers that founded them, have done a great job of pulling the ladder up behind them

Whoa, this just made me realize that it doesnt have to be this way. Like, I thought it did, because yea as stuff gets more sophisticated you need more sophisticated and expensive equipment so who can afford that? But realistically, you as an entrepreneur could find a way to extend a ladder back down. Like, make a free one that is publicly accessible and donate it to or co-locate it at a library or something. Reminded me of how inclusivity takes positive effort otherwise it won't happen. It takes forethought and deliberate action to enable others to grab the ladder.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its definitely the evil mega corps and totally not the billion dollar fab complexes you need to make modern chips.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Open your eyes man, see the walls around you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well that's the whole point of stuff like arduino

(the first arduino i had was a kit i assembled myself -- a two-sided board with all through-hole parts)

you won't get amateurs making stuff that's competitive with the cutting edge of technology today though, obviously. nobody's making 16-layer boards at home or soldering capacitors the size of a grain of sand

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/BibLando/status/912010664629145600

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Serfer posted:

It's an actual product EVGA sells, to precisely control the power to the core and ram and poo poo on their cards. That is the proper way of installing it.
https://www.evga.com/articles/01140/evga-epower-v/
Basically overclockers.jpg

12 phase ? wtf ? Surely this is only taking a single phase mains supply ?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jre posted:

12 phase ? wtf ? Surely this is only taking a single phase mains supply ?

yeah but it's also outputting 1~2v so there's an inverter in there somewhere and, you know, ADD MORE PHASES

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/911992405234262017

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

please, punisher is absolutely a conservative fantasy. every rear end in a top hat has one of these on their truck now:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

YOU WA SHOCK

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP79YR8wGbo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
On the one hand yes, but on the other hand we've had Enough Computer for about 10 years now, and the thing about technological progress is that it monotonically trends upwards. It will never be harder to make software and hardware than it is today, and the same is true of tomorrow and the day after. Now, open hardware is an exciting world that has barely been explored, but it has significant capital requirements that aren't going to be fulfilled easily due to the lack of a sufficiently lucrative business model behind it.

A Core 2 Duo with 8GB of RAM from like 2007 is Enough Computer for most tasks these days. Bullshit bloated code can bring even the most powerful systems to their knees, but it's really not a herculean undertaking to write programs that get things done on 10 year old hardware. Back in the early 90s, yes, Microsoft was legitimately a technological power house because of their institutional skills in making really lovely hardware do the sorts of things we now think of as ordinary computing tasks. This was a big deal on the hardware platforms we had back then.

What I'd like to see is more open and more readily available hardware of mid-2000s caliber. For example, a production-strength RISC-V application SoC with fully open HDL, manufactured on gross disgusting obsolete processes like *shudder* 100nm or whatever, but manufactured by many different manufacturers in many different countries. And without a loving NSA back door in the chip itself that has a direct hardware connection to the NIC for what I'm sure are totally benign reasons.

Maybe some day, many decades from now, there will be a similarly open HDL 4G baseband chip, running open source firmware that can be deterministically compiled to a particular binary. Approved builds would be digitally signed by the FCC or other such body and production chips would be fused with a regulatory body's public key, so you can't hack up the software radio to have it interfere with other licensed radio traffic, but you could at least trace the provenance of the approved binary running on your cellular baseband and be reasonably assured that it isn't doing anything terribly nefarious.

(yes I know hard IP blocks are a rather large and hairy fly in this particular ointment, particularly for mixed-signal stuff like an SDR baseband)

Source: Sapozhnik, The Something Awful Forums.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ah, the salad days of don't quote stymie edits

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah apple and their like, much like the boomers that founded them, have done a great job of pulling the ladder up behind them, even if we discount the drastically higher baseline of technological sophistication these days.

i'm not sure what you think was done here - largely those computers were thrown together from a selection of off-the-shelf parts with a few custom chips tossed in if there wasnt an off the shelf part that did what you want.

you can still do that today, you can buy some fuckin generic motherboards and processors and stuff, but why should anyone particularly care about your particular computer? probably be for the best to just build an addon card or USB device rather than a new computer. the only thing you have to offer is that new functionality on its own, why would someone want to pay your for the normal computer to go with it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there are companies today doing the same thing that woz did, essentially, with modern equivalents. instead of building a computer out of off-the-shelf ICs, though, it's stuff like building a laptop with a raspberry pi inside a 3d-printed case with a cheap membrane keyboard and such. the products work fine and you can indeed build them at home if you want (accepting that [a raspberry pi] is the basic building block, not [a 7400-series chip] or [a transistor], since we're never going to have amateurs rolling their own CPUs for something like that again).

just that they're inferior to a commercial product in basically every way except being able to take them apart.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

this is really good

the sequencing of the funny words is ace

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cat Face Joe posted:

please, punisher is absolutely a conservative fantasy. every rear end in a top hat has one of these on their truck now:

ayy lmao

https://io9.gizmodo.com/kentucky-police-remove-punisher-logo-from-cop-cars-afte-1792720736

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

i'm not sure what you think was done here - largely those computers were thrown together from a selection of off-the-shelf parts with a few custom chips tossed in if there wasnt an off the shelf part that did what you want.

you can still do that today, you can buy some fuckin generic motherboards and processors and stuff, but why should anyone particularly care about your particular computer? probably be for the best to just build an addon card or USB device rather than a new computer. the only thing you have to offer is that new functionality on its own, why would someone want to pay your for the normal computer to go with it?

what the gently caress are you talking about

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/holly/status/912378092160786432

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

did they repo your ability to read quotes

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I turn 35 next month and I've been thinking of a tattoo

I'm not a polite member of society so I can get whatever I want wherever I want

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SmokaDustbowl posted:

get a 6 tattooed on your skin somewhere every time you eat a 6 for anime

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

get a 6 tattooed on your skin somewhere every time you eat a 6 for anime
that would amount to permanent blackface in pretty short order

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

May I suggest...

but in tattoo form

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

May I suggest...

but in tattoo form

nah that's too much snowcrash "poor impulse control" lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SmokaDustbowl posted:

nah that's too much snowcrash "poor impulse control" lol

:hfive:

love that book

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm getting a tattoo finished tomorrow. 34 years of getting them and every time I go in as soon as the needle touches me I still think to myself "What the gently caress am I doing this for?" but then the pain goes away after a while and hey ho new tattoo.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SmokaDustbowl posted:

a big chest piece

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin