Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

poptart_fairy posted:

Despite some absolute fuckwit completely spoiling the ending in here, unmarked..

Is it still unmarked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No clue. I peeked in to ask about a neuromod and ran slap bang into that, so didn't open the thread again until after I'd finished.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Thermal and etheric phantoms are the best for phantom genesis because they teleport to you. Otherwise you kind of have to lead them through some doorways as their pathfinding is basically a straight line.

Also they stay alive in the level until something kills them, even if you leave.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

poptart_fairy posted:

One question though, I knocked Dahl out after wiping out pretty much every single one of his operators along with Kaspar, but the security chief still bitched at me because "lots" of people got killed by them. Given every survivor except three were in the cargo bay with her that felt a little annoying...

Did you remove Dahl's neuromod?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

She complained to me as well, and I definitely removed his neuromod. I assumed she does it regardless because she's bitter about how events played out. Hell, wouldn't you be?

Ariong posted:

Basically, I think that people who really like System Shock games are letting their enthusiasm for this one smooth over some of the rough edges.
I'd hazard people still carrying a torch for System Shock probably aren't bothered by rough edges in general. :v:

I never played either System Shock game though, and I enjoyed Prey a great deal. I wouldn't claim its perfect by any means. However a game where you can choose to be a human struggling to fight off an alien invasion with lab equipment, a flying banana that destroys everyone with mind bullets, or anything in between is clearly doing something right. At the very least I'd consider it a strong GOTY contender.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Yeah something feels different with the friendly phantom AI. On my first playthrough my phantoms would literally run through the entire level without me clearing out enemies till it died. Now it seems to not want to follow me through certain doorways and obstacles.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I had phantoms my first game and I never had a problem. that seems weird

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I never messed with the friendly phantom power because friendly AI is unreliable garbage in 99.9% of games so I'm not surprised to hear that it's unreliable here.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's pretty simple how they operate - they just shadow you until they spot something. They'll teleport to you if they feel like it.

If they can't get to you, move further away and they might just beam to you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So where the hell is Grant Lockwood? I now now that he's supposed to be outside but I've flown around the station and saw many corpses but no signs of him.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssi-s1y0S_c
This video will help you find him even without activating his bracelet.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

So where the hell is Grant Lockwood? I now now that he's supposed to be outside but I've flown around the station and saw many corpses but no signs of him.

Find the shuttle that is floating around out in space, then go over to the nearest pair of those griffin statues that are on the edges of the station.

Then just line yourself up with where they are pointing and fly out into space and his body should eventually be highlighted.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That seems like a lot more trouble than just marking his location at a security terminal. Now finding those treasure maps, THAT is a pain in the rear end.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Rangpur posted:

That seems like a lot more trouble than just marking his location at a security terminal. Now finding those treasure maps, THAT is a pain in the rear end.

Not really, since you have to activate his bracelet in deep storage first. And the gem he always has is super useful for a typhon only run.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Interestingly, I had about a 50/50 split with Phantom Genesis- half the time they were nigh-unstoppable butchering machines who would slay in my name to increase my glory without me having to lift a finger, and half the time they'd sit there and pick their noses. Fortunately, there is no shortage of bodies, and making a new phantom tended to reroll the dice on whether I would get a good one or not.

Rangpur posted:

I'd hazard people still carrying a torch for System Shock probably aren't bothered by rough edges in general. :v:

That sounds about right for System Shock to me. I've played both, but my first experience with each was in the last five years, so I'm not looking at them with 20 years of nostalgia between us. They're delightful games that have a lot to recommend to them, but they're also rougher than a sailor's language. Not even just by the standards of a modern game but comparing them to things that came out at around the same time they leave a lot to be desired in the polish department. They're games you won't enjoy if you care about the ending and everything that happens along the way is irrelevant.

In that regard, Prey is a much better- it's far more polished than either SS game in a way that's not even close. It has the same trouble as both SS games though where there are so many interconnected systems that are actively encouraging the player to try and break the rules that eventually something is going to give way and you'll encounter troubles.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

voltaic phantoms are cool because they wreck robotic enemies just by existing but theyre also kind of annoying because they wreck electric junctions and if youre on a typhon only run you have no way to fix them

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The crew quarters nightmare, I managed to sneak into the mail room thing and just locked the door. Then I went "hold on i've got combat focus" and shotgunned it to death without taking damage.

For all the hype nightmares got, they're not actually that scary.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just finished the game through the credits.

I *knew* there was a reason this game reminded me of Breakdown (the game).

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Ha, found out you can kill yourself by jumping into the helicopter blades during the tutorial section.

They really should have put a special ending screen in for that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There's an achievement, at least.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Vakal posted:

Ha, found out you can kill yourself by jumping into the helicopter blades during the tutorial section.

They really should have put a special ending screen in for that.

I did that at the start of my second run and laughed my rear end off at the idea of Alex putting all his hopes for the salvation of the human race into a typhon that immediately purées itself. Talk about a terrible applicant for the job opening.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That was my into to the game. tried to get out of the map. loved the cheevo consolation prize.

Succesfully broke out on my second run.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I tried it on my first go and had a chuckle at the cheevo.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Alex:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

The crew quarters nightmare

I don't recall if I ran into a Nightmare in Crew Quarters.

One Nightmare was waiting for me right when you get out of the long elevator at the bottom of Life Support. After it killed me the first time, I reloaded a save before I went down and dropped down carefully from duct to duct, then cheesed it to death with recycler grenades.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought there was just one Nightmare and you get the satellite thing to help avoid or kill it, but they seem to show up pretty frequently now. Thankfully they're super easy to cheese by just hiding under a desk and shooting them with the shotgun until they die.

lambskin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssi-s1y0S_c
This video will help you find him even without activating his bracelet.

Vakal posted:

Find the shuttle that is floating around out in space, then go over to the nearest pair of those griffin statues that are on the edges of the station.

Then just line yourself up with where they are pointing and fly out into space and his body should eventually be highlighted.
Thanks, managed to find him after getting a decent dose of radiation poisoning :v:

Rangpur posted:

I thought I activated the bracelet but it didn't seem to do anything, though I probably just missed something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nightmares aren't really dangerous, they're just imposing looking.

Frankly all the enemies in the game fit into that once you get psychoshock and the zapper gun, because they can all be stunned and clubbed to death at that point. If anything the most dangerous ones are techno/telepaths, because them fuckers float away from you and you can't brain them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you can't brain it, you put it in the queue, if you know what I mean

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Nightmares aren't really dangerous, they're just imposing looking.

Frankly all the enemies in the game fit into that once you get psychoshock and the zapper gun, because they can all be stunned and clubbed to death at that point. If anything the most dangerous ones are techno/telepaths, because them fuckers float away from you and you can't brain them.

The 3 energy powers + psychoshock pretty much leave anything dead and you can cast them all at once. Definitely trying on nightmare.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I thought I activated the bracelet but it didn't seem to do anything, though I probably just missed something.
Activating the bracelet just gives you the option of tracking him. You still have to go to a security station and punch his name into the GPS or whatever you want to call it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Nightmare definitely needs to be scarier. It struggles far too much in confined spaces or when you have a slight height advantage on it. By mid-late game you should have the tools you need to just take it down in seconds in a fair, open fight without worrying about it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

aniviron posted:

The Nightmare definitely needs to be scarier. It struggles far too much in confined spaces or when you have a slight height advantage on it. By mid-late game you should have the tools you need to just take it down in seconds in a fair, open fight without worrying about it.

I was worried about it in my typhon only run and it turns out that psychoshock literal explosions and fire from God will murder the fucker so fast its silly.

You still have to have backlash up if you're just standing there, but who cares?

Now, If you didn't research anything, well....

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Prey was a cool game :)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I started an attempt at a Typhon-only run. Took all of 30 minutes before the default inventory size started to drive me nuts. Doesn't help that I have an entire playthrough's worth of knowledge to exploit about getting into hard-to-reach places and hidden item caches. I keep expecting January to chime in and say "OK now how the hell did you know to whap that specific fire alarm 3 times with a wrench?"

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rangpur posted:

I started an attempt at a Typhon-only run. Took all of 30 minutes before the default inventory size started to drive me nuts. Doesn't help that I have an entire playthrough's worth of knowledge to exploit about getting into hard-to-reach places and hidden item caches. I keep expecting January to chime in and say "OK now how the hell did you know to whap that specific fire alarm 3 times with a wrench?"

I started my replay today as well and so far I spent most of my playtime dragging the single explosive tank from the simulation room up to the second floor of the neuromod lobby area on a staircase made of gloo just so I could knock over the barricade to get into the volunteer barracks slightly earlier than normal.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

aniviron posted:

I feel like instead of massive intimidating thing they should have gone with an enemy that's fast and able to chase you through pretty much any terrain so you can't just run into a vent an be untouchable. Hell, make it something that stalks you and waits until you're vulnerable or fighting something else before it attacks.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

To be fair, the nightmare is really fast. It just can't deal with certain doorways and terrain. Plus combat focus or chaining psi powers can cheese it fairly easily.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Got this game over the weekend, read about it some more at work, spoiled myself silly and hate myself for it, but couple of questions;
1) Tried starting on normal but my FPS skills are extremely lacking on the PS4 (and the PC to be honest) and I end up taking crazy damage against anything I don't savescum and super prepare for. Does this ease up with more skillz or should I drop to easy and just enjoy the ride?
2) I don't know if I'm going insane, but I'm CERTAIN I searched the Lobby bathrooms and there definitely wasn't a dead guy that had GLOOed himself a nice hidey hole in the ladies' toilets the first time. Is that something that can happen, people moving around the place? And can I save him?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Konig posted:

Got this game over the weekend, read about it some more at work, spoiled myself silly and hate myself for it, but couple of questions;
1) Tried starting on normal but my FPS skills are extremely lacking on the PS4 (and the PC to be honest) and I end up taking crazy damage against anything I don't savescum and super prepare for. Does this ease up with more skillz or should I drop to easy and just enjoy the ride?
2) I don't know if I'm going insane, but I'm CERTAIN I searched the Lobby bathrooms and there definitely wasn't a dead guy that had GLOOed himself a nice hidey hole in the ladies' toilets the first time. Is that something that can happen, people moving around the place? And can I save him?

I played on a Steam controller so regarding point 1: Yeah, poo poo will be harder than normal in the early game. Either git gud at aiming, get used to savescumming (my choice), or drop it to easy. I think you can move the difficulty up and down freely.
That said, consider using your GlooGun more - whenever you see a mimic, try glooing it right away before you wrench it.

For point 2:
yup, environments (especially the lobby) change a bit over time. However, new enemies can spawn in, in new configurations (as you've probably already seen) so you want to do your best to do a thorough sweep of an area the first time you go through it, so you can move on in relative peace because it'll only get more hectic as the game goes on.

Very few areas are ever barred to you, even without powers - Gloo will get you upstairs and across gaps, and Recycler charges will blast open things you normally need to lift. You can also put something explosive near a barrier and shoot it, and hope it dislodges it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Konig posted:

Others might tell you different but without a real stealth option (thanks to chameleon enemies everywhere) normal should be fine. Prey is not a run-and-gun Bioshock kind of RPG hybrid, you need to scout your enemies before you fight them and up to the point where you get into the alien powers and / or the Combat Focus power, you're rear end is toast when you're swamped by more than one phantom more or less by design. Take things slow.

Konig posted:

He wasn't there before, but no you can't save him. I'm not aware of any other subtle environmental changes (beyond a particular visual effect later on) as you move through the station.