Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
US Office is Better I SAID IT

(I mean it also has way lower lows but that's American sitcoms that go on for too long for you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

*Advertisements for Michael's suddenly start appearing on CBS*

[Edit: because the thought of reversing this review amused me:]

"" posted:

I've watched Adult Swim all my life. I'm 25. I had Comcast up until one month ago when my parents changed their password. I have an iPhone 7+ I only watch Adult Swim on my smart phone but I love it. I always knew I watched a lot on Adult Swim but never realized it constituted the majority of my tv viewing. I wish I could watch it on some kind of larger screen but I guess the app only applies to my phone unless I buy some kind of box that gets put on a piece of furniture and displays images larger. I am currently mixing eliqid for myself so I put the phone on my lap while I blow dank clouds. Your programming has always been excellent. I've also found that your, "Streams" are better than Comcast 's a. I can watch full seasons of shows I never got to finish watching, like SQUIDBILLIES. There are so many I realized I had dropped by the wayside that I'm enjoying now. I guess if you can afford over $45 a month for Playstation Vue, perhaps one wouldn't be so content as I am. I've gone one month now with nothing but Adult Swim on my iPhone. Thank you for letting me express my opinions. BTW. I'm not a young professional. I'm one of those hipsters that don't have a clue to be the age I am. I don't wear t-shirts. Lol. I ride a fixie. Hang with the vegan club and have a pretty chill life. I'm an old soul, too. I live in flannel vests and corduroys and button up shirts. I just don't want that vaping thing to define me.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 25, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Between football and ST:D (Oooo, that's an unfortunate abbreviation) I've had the CBS fall lineup run down my throat. It's kind of admirable how shameless they are in playing to their audience.

"Here's a show about ARE TRUEPS and America's most elite military unit, being headed up by a man who is literally 18 months from getting his first issue of AARP Magazine!"
"Here are two shows that take place in 1989, yet every prop and costume looks like it came out of YOUR youth in the mid 70's!"
"Remember your second favorite sitcom of 1999? Well, King of Queens is back, and we just had to fire and actress and kill her character to make it happen!"

Also it's really...something that the Big Bang Theory season premiere commercial has a background joke playing on the phrase "Serial Rapist" just out-of-frame.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JethroMcB posted:

Between football and ST:D

Pretty sure the abbreviation is going to be DIS. None of the other abbreviations have the "ST", including TOS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

More like ST :-( eh

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

More like ST :-( eh

*tries to approximate lens flair and dutch angles with ASCII text, fails*

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Escobarbarian posted:

(I mean it also has way lower lows but that's American sitcoms that go on for too long for you)

Yes it is.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I saw someone in GBS complaining that STD was the "yaas queening" of Star Trek because the lead was a woman, it's nice to see someone at least drop the dogwhistling about why they hated this thing before watching even a second of it I guess.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Janeway was the original Yass Queen, duh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah the first Star Trek series with either a woman or a black lead, looks like the SJWs won folks.

Speaking of terrible fans, AV Club has a writeup of why that one slice of the R&M fanbase sucks.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 25, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

It's funny because I think even the second series of the British Office was a case of diminishing returns. The American version obviously did a lot to soften characters, but that made it tolerable for a lot longer than the British version could have been.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen the US Office but I have a hard time imagining it being worse than the UK one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

*tries to approximate lens flair and dutch angles with ASCII text, fails*

/0*/

E: CUT TO

/=o*/

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

/0*/

E: CUT TO

/=o*/

Isn't posting goatse still bannable?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually started re-watching the Office the other day as my "background" show. The early Michael stuff remains as shaky as I always found it but I'm already finding myself falling back into all the Jim/Pam/Dwight stuff and general tone of the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shaky how? He's a narcissistic idiot rear end in a top hat, it's just like my real boss.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Shaky" as in I just really didn't like it and it threatened to turn me away from the show entirely early on.

In S2 they find a balance for it that makes it a lot easier to take and not the focus of the show. But I always really hated that part of the show and again, its why I've never tried the UK version.

I'm not knocking Carrell's performance or anything. If anything he did a great job making a character THAT contemptible at times as likable as he was over the course of the series. That couldn't be easy and another actor probably would have sank the show or at least the character.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 25, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't watched it yet and not sure I will but "The Vulcan Hello" is a great episode title, if nothing else.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maybe it helps that S1 was only 6 episodes so I just jammed through it in one sitting same as I did Parks and Rec S1.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's pretty impressive how much better Schur got at TV.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Ah the first Star Trek series with either a woman or a black lead, looks like the SJWs won folks.

Uh... are we not counting Janeway for whatever reason? :psyduck:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They are joking, since there have been both black and woman leads already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snak posted:

They are joking, since there have been both black and woman leads already.

The Independent had an article that initially claimed Martin-Green was the first black ST lead and those of us who rightly think that Sisko is the greatest captain rose up in angry revolt until the article was corrected

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I still think the British version of the Office was miles better than the American version, just more concise, less saccharine, more biting (which makes the ending feel a lot more earned).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

Maybe it helps that S1 was only 6 episodes so I just jammed through it in one sitting same as I did Parks and Rec S1.

Yeah. S1 is really heavy on Michael at his worst but it passes quickly enough and then they tweak things in S2. Its very like Parks and Rec in that sense. Although Leslie's never quite as bad as Micheal is right off the bat.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's pretty impressive how much better Schur got at TV.

The big skill he has that a lot of showmakers don't seems to be the ability to recognize what's working and what isn't and adjust. He doesn't seem to get married to an initial premise or character if its not working or if something else is working better. Some comedies fall apart because they can't do that. Something like 2 Broke Girls had a lot of early potential but when the creator was criticized he lashed out and doubled down on what people didn't like.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Discovery is pretty good so far, halfway through episode 1. But why the klingons look like this now?

Nice budget too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing, perhaps the only good thing, that Enterprise did well was come up with a reasonable retcon for why the Klingons look different in TOS and the rest of ST (besides that it was because of production costs and makeup tech)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

The Independent had an article that initially claimed Martin-Green was the first black ST lead and those of us who rightly think that Sisko is the greatest captain rose up in angry revolt until the article was corrected

Don't forget that when Enterprise was about to start Paramount did a commercial going on about the legacy of Starfleet captains and somehow left Sisko out of the lineup.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On episode 2 now and yeah Discovery is surprisingly good. Unsurprisingly Trekkies hate it haha

Science officer guy is great

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Discovery is really good overall. I love positioning the Federation like the Borg, coming to assimilate and strip Klingons of their pride and heritage. I liked 90percent of the characters and teared up at a few scenes. Alien Rincewind rules and you all should have listened to the cowardly voice of reason. I'm not tired of Klingons, esp when they amp up the racial purity thing which is quite topical at the moment.

Not a fan of the heavy prosthetics though it made every single Klingon slur and mumble. Hope they fix it or get expert actors like Ron Perlman. Also this version of Sarek is peado creepy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the intro a swelling orchestral arrangement with scenes of the Discovery flying through nebulae, ringed planets and other space oddities? Are there lyrics?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Oh man I can't imagine Avery Brooks was pleased about that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

‘Veep’ Creator Armando Iannucci Gets HBO Pilot Order For Space Comedy

How is every word in that headline better than the last

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh god drat Veep In Space is gonna be great

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

One thing, perhaps the only good thing, that Enterprise did well was come up with a reasonable retcon for why the Klingons look different in TOS and the rest of ST (besides that it was because of production costs and makeup tech)

Not a thing that ever needed to be addressed more than DS9 did.

Also, I don't know what their explanation was exactly, but how did it address characters that looked both ways?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Why did it need to, though?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Speaking of terrible fans, AV Club has a writeup of why that one slice of the R&M fanbase sucks.

I kind of assumed that was the entire fanbase.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why did it need to, though?

It didn't, I was just surprised it was done in a way where I wasn't rolling my eyes at it.

Basically they discovered some of our Khan super soldiers, were impressed with how powerful they were, and so a group of them made a retrovirus with the supersoldier DNA to change and enhance their own genetics. A side effect was a more human appearance so the dudes that used it had their facial features literally melt away. Of course this led to conflict within the empire and some used it and some didn't, but that's the in-universe reason why TOS Klingons look different.

I also didn't like Enterprise very much. In fact the only ST I really like is some of the movies, about half of TNG and the last five-ish seasons of DS9. Voyager could've been amazing but once Berman took an interest in it, it was dead meat. In fact, it was Berman's lidless, frame-wreathed eye turned toward Voyager that allowed DS9 to get away with half the poo poo it did. There's an apocryphal story that RDM and co. pitched the Dominion war (the best storyline Trek has ever done) to Berman, he hated it, said they could do two episodes of it, and then went back to micromanaging Voyager. The DS9 did it anyway to see how far they could get with it and it turned out, all the loving way

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

‘Veep’ Creator Armando Iannucci Gets HBO Pilot Order For Space Comedy

How is every word in that headline better than the last

I guess The Orville can gently caress off now

(this isn't an invitation to talk about The Orville for another 3 pages btw)

• Locked thread