Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

I'm calling them "centrist," because they oppose a politician who is trying to move the party to the left on economic issues. Their motives might be personal, but I doubt they would support moving in an economic justice direction if someone else were heading the effort instead. They want to maintain the Democratic status quo, so calling them centrists is appropriate.

So centrism is what you disagree with then? Can't you see how that you are using it as a pejorative, and not something that actually describes a tactic, or belief structure? There are words that exist to describe those people way better than centrist. I used one earlier: rich white people, or maybe bougie cunts, or something with more spice than centrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Majorian posted:

If you seriously believe Macron is much better than Le Pen, I'm guessing you're very much insulated from the effects of austerity that have helped fuel the re-rise of fascism.

"But it's slander to criticize white leftists for telling black people they vote wrong! Now, let me explain how the jew and the nazi are more similar than you may think..."

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Taerkar posted:

The 'Perfect is the enemy of good' is how people who agree with 95% of what is claimed to be pure leftism in this thread are labeled as centrist traitors, which is extra funny coming from a group who in 2016 had a general attitude of 'If you don't do everything we want, we're going to go home and not vote! That'll teach you."

This sort of idea comes up frequently - "I agree with 95% of the things you agree with, so why are you still saying that we aren't on the same side?" The problem with it is very obvious: Not all issues are given equally important weights, so most of the "95% I agree with" can be mostly meaningless side issues, and that "5% that I disagree with" can be issues that are vitally important to other people.

I have 4 nephews and 6 nieces who are Arab, we all live in MENA, we go to weddings a lot. They get dragged to weddings and funerals constantly. So yeah, Democrats may agree with me 95% - but at the moment, part of that 5% is supporting wide-ranging interventions and drone programs with the oversight of a sleepy mall security guard, attacking the anti-war movement, etc, so that 5% is pretty god-damned important and has pretty much killed the enthusiasm I've had for the Democratic party since I was 16. I've voted in every election, including midterms, for over a decade.

The same thing applies to other groups.
"I/This candidate agrees with 95% of your views, so you are on the same side" will not convince a trans person if that 5% is "maybe we should legislate bathroom use."
"I/This candidate agrees with 95% of your views, so you are on the same side" will not convince a black person if that 5% is "actually, the way police operate now is perfectly fine."
"I/This candidate agrees with 95% of your views, so you are on the same side" will not convince an LGBT person if that 5% is "now that we've got marriage equality, anything pursuing more rights would be granting special privileges."

You may agree with 95% of what they say, but they 100% will not give a poo poo if your agreement is only on issues of middling importance.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I used to be a centrist but then the political climate lurched so far to the right that now I'm a leftist.

I'm the one trying to keep the name, but still vote like the left.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"But it's slander to criticize white leftists for telling black people they vote wrong! Now, let me explain how the jew and the nazi are more similar than you may think..."

No one has said this here.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

So centrism is what you disagree with then?

No, "centrism" is opposition to moving the Democratic Party to the left, and out of its center-right status quo.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Mormon Star Wars posted:

This sort of idea comes up frequently - "I agree with 95% of the things you agree with, so why are you still saying that we aren't on the same side?" The problem with it is very obvious: Not all issues are given equally important weights, so most of the "95% I agree with" can be mostly meaningless side issues, and that "5% that I disagree with" can be issues that are vitally important to other people.

I have 4 nephews and 6 nieces who are Arab, we all live in MENA, we go to weddings a lot. They get dragged to weddings and funerals constantly. So yeah, Democrats may agree with me 95% - but at the moment, part of that 5% is supporting wide-ranging interventions and drone programs with the oversight of a sleepy mall security guard, attacking the anti-war movement, etc, so that 5% is pretty god-damned important and has pretty much killed the enthusiasm I've had for the Democratic party since I was 16. I've voted in every election, including midterms, for over a decade.

"I/This candidate agrees with 95% of your views, so you are on the same side" will not convince a trans person if that 5% is "maybe we should legislate bathroom use."
"I/This candidate agrees with 95% of your views, so you are on the same side" will not convince a black person if that 5% is "actually, the way police operate now is perfectly fine."
"I/This candidate agrees with 95% of your views, so you are on the same side" will not convince an LGBT person if that 5% is "now that we've got marriage equality, anything pursuing more rights would be granting special privileges."

You may agree with 95% of what they say, but they 100% will not give a poo poo if your agreement is only on issues of middling importance.

This is a nuanced look at this that is useful and good for me to understand. Thank you.

Majorian posted:

No, "centrism" is opposition to moving the Democratic Party to the left, and out of its center-right status quo.

I've been trying to tell you that it isn't and you are literally doing the "then why do I keep insisting it is!" gimmick back at me.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't think i attacked you . I was just pointing out that I didn't agree with your label. I was already defensive and lumped you into a group I shouldn't have. I apologize.

thank you! I appreciate it a lot. I get heated when people accuse me of shutting them down (when I'm not lol) or putting words in their mouth, because that happens to me, so I make an actual effort to avoid this.

I do shut down racists who won't acknowledge or own up to that they're saying tho. Or like homeboy yesterday who called me a racist stereotype. gently caress them

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Majorian posted:

Someone needs to tell Majorian.

Majorian posted:

Are you freaking kidding me? After months of Sanders supporters being tarred with spoiling the 2016 election (even though all available evidence suggests that they didn't)? After months of us being cast as secret racists/misogynists?

Majorian posted:

If you seriously believe Macron is much better than Le Pen, I'm guessing you're very much insulated from the effects of austerity that have helped fuel the re-rise of fascism.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Why would anyone describe themselves as centrist? That's saying you're closer to the right than you should be!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've been trying to tell you that it isn't

You realize that most of us disagree with you on this, right? You're actually the one who keeps plugging his ears and going, "lalala you're all wrong."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Someone needs to tell Majorian.

In neither of those posts am I telling black people that they were wrong for the way they voted, nor am I saying it's slander to criticize when someone does that. Nice try, though, silly troll.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Leftist = let's make sure everyone has healthcare

Rightwing = lets rip away healthcare from everyone but the rich

Centrist = let's let some non rich people have healthcare, but keep healthcare away from a good amount of people

Who choses centrism or the rightwing aside from the immoral?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mormon Star Wars posted:

That is certainly true, but what that 5% is that the disagreement on fluctuates on both sides depending upon what two people are being compared. There also seems to be a tendency to treat that 5% as automatically being that core concern of one side or another.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Majorian posted:

In neither of those posts am I telling black people that they were wrong for the way they voted, nor am I saying it's slander to criticize when someone does that. Nice try, though, silly troll.

You literally said that a person raised in a non-religious jewish family was as bad or worse than a neo-nazi for jews and minorities as a defense that you were not a stereotype of a tunnel-visioned white leftist.

lol

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Koalas March posted:

thank you! I appreciate it a lot. I get heated when people accuse me of shutting them down (when I'm not lol) or putting words in their mouth, because that happens to me, so I make an actual effort to avoid this.

I do shut down racists who won't acknowledge or own up to that they're saying tho. Or like homeboy yesterday who called me a racist stereotype. gently caress them

I get worked up as well, so I appreciate the good nature of the one or two conversations we been able to have. Please keep making GBS threads on the racists as it is hilarious to see. :hfive:

Condiv posted:

Leftist = let's make sure everyone has healthcare

Rightwing = lets rip away healthcare from everyone but the rich

Centrist = let's let some non rich people have healthcare, but keep healthcare away from a good amount of people

Who choses centrism or the rightwing aside from the immoral?

Guys, we get it, you use centrist as a straw man for all the bad things. you can continue being wrong, and marginalizing people who generally want the same things as you because they choose a label you aren't accepting of, or you can stop and look for allies where you need them. The center needs the left, and the left needs the center. unfortunately I don't think either side is a majority without the other.

Like someone posted earlier it would be great if we were a country with a center party and a left party, but we aren't there yet.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

You literally said that a person raised in a non-religious jewish family was as bad or worse than a neo-nazi for jews and minorities as a defense that you were not a stereotype of a tunnel-visioned white leftist.

lol

Majorian hates Bernie's kids? That doesn't sound right...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Centrism MIGHT work if you had a system that could support three or more parties, and a right wing one that was operating in good faith. However in the current political setup we have in the US that isn't the case so all "centrism" accomplishes is moving the country further and further right by capitulating as the right keeps getting more and more openly extreme. If you legitimately advocate for most left wing policies that help people you aren't a centrist so don't call yourself something that is just going to cause people to think you are more right wing than you are.

Also if you agree with the Republicans on literally anything you should immediately re-evaluate why you think that.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 25, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

You literally said that a person raised in a non-religious jewish family was as bad or worse than a neo-nazi for jews and minorities

Mmmm, nope.

Condiv posted:

Majorian hates Bernie's kids? That doesn't sound right...

I kinda do actually - one of them endorsed a conservative Democrat in Virginia a few months back, if memory serves.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I get worked up as well, so I appreciate the good nature of the one or two conversations we been able to have. Please keep making GBS threads on the racists as it is hilarious to see. :hfive:

Guys, we get it, you use centrist as a straw man for all the bad things. you can continue being wrong, and marginalizing people who generally want the same things as you because they choose a label you aren't accepting of, or you can stop and look for allies where you need them. The center needs the left, and the left needs the center. unfortunately I don't think either side is a majority without the other.

Like someone posted earlier it would be great if we were a country with a center party and a left party, but we aren't there yet.

Where's the straw man?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Taerkar posted:

That is certainly true, but what that 5% is that the disagreement on fluctuates on both sides depending upon what two people are being compared. There also seems to be a tendency to treat that 5% as automatically being that core concern of one side or another.

No one should die for lack of means is pretty much the exhibit A here.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I may have missed it, but can you explain what makes you a centrist? Like what do you actually believe?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Centrist is just a terrible way to say "liberal."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Guys, we get it, you use centrist as a straw man for all the bad things. you can continue being wrong,

Remember when you said you didn't act like you were superior to anyone? ...yyyyeah...

Also, we're actually pretty precise on how we use the term "centrist." Saying that we use it as a straw man for all bad things is absurd; we decry right-wingers pretty frequently.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

"Yes, Hitler would be bad for the Jews. But think of the holocaust as a downpayment for the jewish people. If the center-left wins, then that would be the truest validation of Hitler. What? No, of course the fact that I am a non-jew living in Australia has no impact on my perspective. This is a sacrifice that the jewish people will gladly make for me."

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Radish posted:

Centrism MIGHT work if you had a system that could support three or more parties, and a right wing one that was operating in good faith. However in the current political setup we have in the US that isn't the case so all "centrism" accomplishes is moving country further and further right by capitulating as the right keeps getting more and more openly extreme. If you legitimately for MOST left wing policies that help people you aren't a centrist so don't call yourself something that is just going to cause people to think you are more right wing than you are.

Also if you agree with the Republicans on literally anything you should immediately re-evaluate why you think that.

True centrism, applied as a tactic and not an ideology, would work with two extremes and a center, yes. In practice centrism end up being more about the center of acceptable advocated ideologies, and not the center of the present power structures. Hence why you have people that consider themselves centrist reacting to the labels put forth in this thread.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Majorian posted:

I currently work overnights cleaning and stocking shelves at Walmart. Most of my family still lives in the third world and are desperately envious of my job. My parents were both lucky enough to be first generation college graduates, and have reached a comfortable retirement. I am pretty aware of both how much privilege I have and what kinds of adversity I face compared to others.

The choice between Macron and Le Pen isn't even a question.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RuanGacho posted:

No one should die for lack of means is pretty much the exhibit A here.

Yeah, and?

Anyone who uses the 'Everyone can get access to the ER' should be slapped around with the latest version of the Medicare coding guidebook for a few hours.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm oppose the forum's left because I was insulted with "old man" and instantly realized that the same criticism can be applied to Bernie and Trump. Absolutely no self reflection, exhibit A: Majorian.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

"Yes, Hitler would be bad for the Jews. But think of the holocaust as a downpayment for the jewish people. If the center-left wins, then that would be the truest validation of Hitler. What? No, of course the fact that I am a non-jew living in Australia has no impact on my perspective. This is a sacrifice that the jewish people will gladly make for me."

You don't sound unhinged in the slightest.:allears:

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I currently work overnights cleaning and stocking shelves at Walmart. Most of my family still lives in the third world and are desperately envious of my job. My parents were both lucky enough to be first generation college graduates, and have reached a comfortable retirement. I am pretty aware of both how much privilege I have and what kinds of adversity I face compared to others.

I never said it was a question. Macron was clearly the less awful option. I'll admit I probably understated how much worse Le Pen is than Macron, but Macron's pretty loving terrible.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

No one said it was. They did say macron is way worse than he has any right to be since he wants to kill workers' rights

Hth

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm oppose the forum's left because I was insulted with "old man" and instantly realized that the same criticism can be applied to Bernie and Trump. Absolutely no self reflection, exhibit A: Majorian.

What does this poo poo even mean?:psypop:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Condiv posted:

No one said it was. They did say macron is way worse than he has any right to be since he wants to kill workers' rights

Hth

Majorian posted:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Anyone to the right of Enver Hoxha is a goddamn revisionist class traitor. :colbert:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

In all likelihood macron probably wants to privatize healthcare in France more so more people can die from lack of access to healthcare

Because he's very centrist and loves privatization and screwing over anyone not worth millions

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Taerkar posted:

Yeah, and?

Anyone who uses the 'Everyone can get access to the ER' should be slapped around with the latest version of the Medicare coding guidebook for a few hours.

I'm saying the 5% here is there are people in the Dem party who respond with "well maybe some is ok" not because of some sort of evil intent but because upsetting the status quo sounds dangerous if you're not vulnerable to that.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Yeah, that still says le pen is worse. Congratulations 🎉?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

This is incoherent.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

Ol' race-batin' KM, putting racist words in other peoples posts.

And then online stalking herself when someone else's cognitive dissonance beats back their own self awareness.

And then the whole thread crashes down on KM for putting the racism in otherwise perfectly woke posters. "Wosters" if you will.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

Ol' race-batin' KM, putting racist words in other peoples posts.

And then online stalking herself when someone else's cognitive dissonance beats back their own self awareness.

And then the whole thread crashes down on KM for putting the racism in otherwise perfectly woke posters. "Wosters" if you will.

Kenny Rogers' Wosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Majorian posted:

I never said it was a question. Macron was clearly the less awful option. I'll admit I probably understated how much worse Le Pen is than Macron, but Macron's pretty loving terrible.

Macron v Le Pen was also an example of how a multi-party system isn't a perfect fix as the more progressive vote got split in a number of directions during the primary and resulted in the final vote being between center-right and crazy-right.

The preferential vote thingie, whatever it's called, is a better solution, but still imperfect, but I don't think there will be a perfect solution (until the machines take over of course)

RuanGacho posted:

I'm saying the 5% here is there are people in the Dem party who respond with "well maybe some is ok" not because of some sort of evil intent but because upsetting the status quo sounds dangerous if you're not vulnerable to that.

There are some, without a doubt. And those that are very much 'tough on crime' advocates, or the war on drugs, or.... But treating everyone as being one of those isn't contributory to anything productive.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 25, 2017

• Locked thread