Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The point is that they're both wrong. You can't just run from All Might and you can't straight up fight him either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
deku wasn't trying to formulate a plan, he was babbling out of anxiety. later on deku admits that he doesn't have any ideas how to fight or escape and most of the actions that move them towards their goal are taken on bakugo's initiative. bakugo may be an unreasonable rear end in a top hat, but deku was a mess for most of that fight due to his hang ups about all might

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
deku was throwing out stellar ideas and observations like "all might is really strong, bakugo. did you know all might is the number one hero. i fall asleep every night staring at a poster of him"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

What surprised me is that Deku didn't switch away from Full Cowling to 100% use of OfA. You'd think it would've been a pretty good move to pull in some cases, for instance while he was in the air moving towards the exit to push himself faster, or he could've launched Bakugo out that way, or at least force All Might to face a full-power attack (like with Bakugo's gaultlets).

I suppose it's to show that that kind of use of OfA is wrong and now that Deku's figured out the right way to do it he's sticking to it, but even if it is wrong it could've been useful.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

To be fair, all the way back in episode 5, Eraser Head brings up that the destructive use of One For All would make Deku into a pretty bad hero, since, despite being able to quell threats, he would be in need of support of his own, right? So Deku sticking with Full Cowl and forming tactics around the use of power he CAN handle is probably his best bet for his training.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

He didn't use it because it's just a test at the end of the day, and not even one that's important to his pass/fail status. He's been explicitly told several times now that he needs to avoid using that unless the situation is dire.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

sirtommygunn posted:

He's been explicitly told several times now that he needs to avoid using that unless the situation is dire.

Indeed, especially now that Recovery Girl will refuse to heal him- healing that nigh-dead arm would take forever. (At least, she declared that, who knows if she could bring herself to do so)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watched Momo rising in the dub and it was great.

"do you have nausea?"

my boy Shoto is too pure

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

shoto ftw

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bakugo is my favorite character

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ninjewtsu posted:

bakugo is my favorite character

what is wrong with you

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Maybe they misspelled 'Tsuyu'.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Even if Bakugo isn't a "likable" characters, he's a very important one, and I think this episode shows that. The only time he's particularly bad is when he's forced to deal with Midoriya in some capacity, but otherwise is a more than capable, incredibly clever, and very strong, if overconfident, hero-in-training. If it weren't for Midoriya, and their personal feelings toward one another, Bakugo would just be your average cocksure anime teen. He'd probably be pretty popular in-fiction if he weren't constantly classing with Midoriya.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I feel like a lot of people missed the point re: Bakugou during the final exam, because he doesn't think they're going to beat All Might by fighting him - his plan is to create an opening to escape by attacking, which is a much better plan than Deku had

Bakugou scored higher than Midoriya and Todoroki on the written exam as well because he's a genius-level combatant with a good tier quirk, and while he is extremely aggressive and violent he is also straightforward heroic in the classical sense of the word

Deku is a hero's compassion and self-sacrifice; Bakugou is a hero's necessity of victory. To be All Might you can't just talk the talk and be self-sacrificing, you also must always win, that's what being the symbol of peace means

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure that Bakugou said his plan was to wear All Might down and then knock him out and he was very clear he didn't want Deku to do anything because he wanted to win all by himself.

It was completely nuts. At least Midoriya tried working together.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, that plan only came about after he realized there was not way to beat him head-on, and wear him down like he thought. Neither of their plans were good to begin with, and they became better once they started working together. Bakugo regarded Deku as useless, and Deku regarded All Might as unbeatable. They were both wrong, and coming to those realizationa is what helped them win.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Neither started out with a legit plan to win.
Deku was too terrified of All Might to offer anything constructive and Bakugo was so caught up on his issues with Deku he was actually willing to give up a win if it meant cooperating with him.

It took Deku going "yo stop being a loser" for Bakugo to swallow his pride and actually go for the win, it took Bakugo almost throwing the match for Deku to grow a spine. It was only then that they started getting real results.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Nephthys posted:

I'm pretty sure that Bakugou said his plan was to wear All Might down and then knock him out and he was very clear he didn't want Deku to do anything because he wanted to win all by himself.

It was completely nuts. At least Midoriya tried working together.

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, that plan only came about after he realized there was not way to beat him head-on, and wear him down like he thought. Neither of their plans were good to begin with, and they became better once they started working together. Bakugo regarded Deku as useless, and Deku regarded All Might as unbeatable. They were both wrong, and coming to those realizationa is what helped them win.

Bakugou wouldn't have scored higher than Shoto and Deku if his strategizing always amounted to "blow them up really good." I think his plan was always to take All Might off guard with an attack, and then try to escape while he was stunned. He even tests the waters for All Might's stun threshold by opening with a blinding attack instead of something like Howitzer Impact, and gauged how effective a rapid-but-small explosive flurry would be (and it was in fact totally ineffective). He plainly states that you can't run away from speed like All Might's, as well.

His inability to work with anyone makes him unpopular and prone to getting in over his head, but he's proven during the finals and the sports festival that he also isn't stupid and is capable of coming up with strategies on the fly. He's a good character (and a good boy)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

Bakugou wouldn't have scored higher than Shoto and Deku if his strategizing always amounted to "blow them up really good." I think his plan was always to take All Might off guard with an attack, and then try to escape while he was stunned. He even tests the waters for All Might's stun threshold by opening with a blinding attack instead of something like Howitzer Impact, and gauged how effective a rapid-but-small explosive flurry would be (and it was in fact totally ineffective). He plainly states that you can't run away from speed like All Might's, as well.

His inability to work with anyone makes him unpopular and prone to getting in over his head, but he's proven during the finals and the sports festival that he also isn't stupid and is capable of coming up with strategies on the fly. He's a good character (and a good boy)

Bakugo didn't really have that much of a plan at the start though. Sure, he had a vague idea of what to do, but mostly he was blinded with rage that the exam ended up being structured as it was. It took getting the poo poo punched out of him (both by All Might and Deku) to snap out of that and start thinking about something that could actually result in a victory.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
His plan is straight up to win a head-on fight, he says and tries to do as much before Deku pulls him into the alley where they finally start working together.

It's not that his idea was dumb, but more that All Might is is unfathomably strong, which is something Deku has a better understanding of than anyone.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Shere posted:

His plan is straight up to win a head-on fight, he says and tries to do as much before Deku pulls him into the alley where they finally start working together.

It's not that his idea was dumb, but more that All Might is is unfathomably strong, which is something Deku has a better understanding of than anyone.

Also of importance is that Deku's admiration of All Might made him certain that they couldn't win, which was also a hindrance. They were both wrong at the outset for entirely opposite reasons.

Anybody who thinks Bakugo is bad is dumb, and I think the comparisons to Endeavor are fairly on-point. He's incredibly strong an competent, but his hatred for one person in particular sometimes gets in the way of the greater goal.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We're basically teasing season 3 at this point. I wonder if it'll be 2 cour again. I can't think of a good stopping point because the next 2 major arcs are 1 cour of material.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Comparing bakugo to endeavor makes sense in some ways, but also I dunno why you'd tell people who don't like him because of how hot headed he is "you should like him for the same reason you like the guy who is basically a rapist"

I don't get the feeling that people who don't like bakugo would like endeavor.

Bakugo owns though, because characters who are imperfect > goody two shoes and also rage is an entertaining emotion to see in motion

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I really like how bakugo is determined to not learn anything about how his blind rage isn't the best way to do things, but when it comes to combat he's incredibly perceptive. The way that things that look like he's just lashing out (the barrage of small explosions, several of his fights in the sports festivals) are actually him testing his opponent's reactions and gathering information so he can figure out their weaknesses is really cool.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i don't like bakugo but i like endeavor

i mean i don't like endeavor but i like endeavor

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Endeavor's a piece of poo poo but I think he's well written

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
he's a bad person but a good character

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kaubocks posted:

i mean i don't like endeavor but i like endeavor

JahRoo posted:

Endeavor's a piece of poo poo but I think he's well written

It seems this is the disconnect we're seeing in this thread and elsewhere. One can have a favorite character, or even just say they're a good character, even if said character is a massive, unlikable jerk. A character can serve a pivotal and highly interesting purpose in a story without being a good person, and they can be lauded for their writing without ascribing good traits of personality.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
endeavor loving sucks, he's shattered multiple lives, and it makes me feel weird that the anime added more scenes to make us like him, but i get it. Still, it feels a lot of fans have forgotten that Endeavor has been abuser for fifteen - twenty years, leaving his wife in a mental health facility, his daughter terrified of him and his son carrying years of baggage . Todoroki's entire arc hits too close to home for me, but like at least Endeavor's interesting showing the failings of the Hero System and that maybe at one time, he did have the ideals of a hero but now only has the intelligence and strength of one

can't wait till the timeskip so we can see todoroki making fire spears and lava running up buildings tho

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 25, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wish in that first chapter Bakugou had just blown up Deku's notes and told him he was an dumbfuck for thinking he could make it as a quirkless hero. Telling him to kill himself upped him from a bully to a real piece of poo poo which took me a long time to get over and appreciate the entirely of his character and I don't think I'm alone in that. If that was ever addressed again and dealt with it would have been one thing, but it was immediately forgotten since it clashed pretty strongly with the way Horikoshi decided to shape the character into someone with no social graces obsessed with being the top hero but still in his core not a bad person.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 25, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It's sort of addressed, in that it becomes pretty obvious pretty quick that Bakugo telling someone to die is punctuation.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Calmly saying "You should kill yourself" is a lot more real than his standard "DIE!!" catchall battlecry.

It just feels like something that was put in before the characters were really fleshed out which is why Deku never really thinks about it or brings it up.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 25, 2017

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Bakugou suffers from the early chapters not having him nailed down yet. He does fairly calmly tell Deku to kill himself so he could get a Quirk in his next life, and is overall quick to anger but not Always Angry All The Time yet. I think some of his "genius snob" tendencies eventually got chilled (lol) and thrown into Todoroki, sorta.

Bakugou at present is a competitive jerk who wants to stand alone at number 1, but I also have no doubts he'd turn down an offer to join up with the League of Villains, for example. He's a kid with serious social problems almost to the point of disability, but he doesn't read as evil, and his motivations stem from wanting to be the best instead of the most famous or richest. Number One to Bakugou means strength, but not singularly the pursuit of power, if that makes sense. I doubt he'd have any use for the social influences at the disposal of the no. 1 hero, let alone abuse them.

Endeavor is an abusive power mongering rear end in a top hat. Bakugou would never be okay with employing low level eugenics to create a kid capable of being no. 1, you know?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If bakugo were in endeavor's position he'd probably just keep trying to upstage all might, and never give up like endeavor did.

"What if your kid upstaged all might" seems like the kind of thing he'd say "I don't want a half assed victory like that" to

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I hated Bakugo but something about this episode made me like him. I guess because I am also obsessed with All Might. Realizing that Bakugo's anger is an expression of admiration for All Might makes me feel a lot better about him as a character.

I mean, I still wouldn't want to have to deal with him myself.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

guts and bolts posted:

Bakugou suffers from the early chapters not having him nailed down yet. He does fairly calmly tell Deku to kill himself so he could get a Quirk in his next life, and is overall quick to anger but not Always Angry All The Time yet. I think some of his "genius snob" tendencies eventually got chilled (lol) and thrown into Todoroki, sorta.

Bakugou at present is a competitive jerk who wants to stand alone at number 1, but I also have no doubts he'd turn down an offer to join up with the League of Villains, for example. He's a kid with serious social problems almost to the point of disability, but he doesn't read as evil, and his motivations stem from wanting to be the best instead of the most famous or richest. Number One to Bakugou means strength, but not singularly the pursuit of power, if that makes sense. I doubt he'd have any use for the social influences at the disposal of the no. 1 hero, let alone abuse them.

Endeavor is an abusive power mongering rear end in a top hat. Bakugou would never be okay with employing low level eugenics to create a kid capable of being no. 1, you know?

I disagree about Bakugou not being willing to join the league of villains. I think he would do it in a heartbeat if he thought it would help him show how strong he was.

Remember he was a member a bulling gang in highschool. He just cares about personal aggrandizement, strength, and fulfilling fights. Not making sure people aren't oppressed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bakugo wouldn't join the league of villains because that'd mean he's admitting that he can't cut it on his own. Bakugo turning villain would be more of a loner like stain, if anything

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Bakugo's whole thing isn't proving how strong he is, it's that he wants to be the greatest hero. Becoming a villain would prove that he's the exact opposite. He's not looking for power, but for the world to recognize that he has that power. Right before the sludge incident, he gets mad at his friends for smoking since if he's caught with them, he'll get in trouble too. He doesn't just want a high reputation, he wants a high Good reputation.

Bakugo is the bad boy, but he's a Good bad boy. no one is sasuke

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Moltrey posted:

Bakugo's whole thing isn't proving how strong he is, it's that he wants to be the greatest hero. Becoming a villain would prove that he's the exact opposite. He's not looking for power, but for the world to recognize that he has that power. Right before the sludge incident, he gets mad at his friends for smoking since if he's caught with them, he'll get in trouble too. He doesn't just want a high reputation, he wants a high Good reputation.

Bakugo is the bad boy, but he's a Good bad boy. no one is sasuke

He's only with the heros now because the villains have to live in the shadows thanks to All Might. If being a villain was a thing he could do without All Might immediately crushing you, and doing so would mean people would recognize how powerful he was, he would do so in a heartbeat.

It has nothing to do with him having a noble heart. He just cares about showing the world how powerful he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I disagree about Bakugou not being willing to join the league of villains. I think he would do it in a heartbeat if he thought it would help him show how strong he was.

Remember he was a member a bulling gang in highschool. He just cares about personal aggrandizement, strength, and fulfilling fights. Not making sure people aren't oppressed.

Bakugou's grown up in which villains have consistently had the poo poo kicked out of them by All Might, who is loved by basically everyone. Villains are, fundamentally, total losers. Bakugou isn't going to sign up to be Top Loser.

• Locked thread