Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The music in Return of the Living Dead is extremely good. My favorite music cue is the Trioxin theme in the intro. It perfectly straddles the same goofy-yet-creepy line the rest of the movie does. Those 80s synths sound cheesy and offputting, like theremin from a 50s giant monster movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo6eIriOgSg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
His name is Tar-Man, AKA Juicy Zombie, and he is the best zombie in film history.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The music in Return of the Living Dead is extremely good. My favorite music cue is the Trioxin theme in the intro. It perfectly straddles the same goofy-yet-creepy line the rest of the movie does. Those 80s synths sound cheesy and offputting, like theremin from a 50s giant monster movie.

Yea that's my favorite scene in the whole movie. I laugh my rear end off every time, the warehouse crew just got done with this crazy misadventure to cremate the "rabid weasels", and just as they're breathing a sigh of relief the camera pans up and the music kicks in and you realize that they just committed the gently caress up to end all gently caress ups. Probably the funniest moment in what I'd say is the funniest horror movie of all-time.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 25, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've been busy all morning and kept having to come back to write my review, so thank you for mentioning the music, which is awesome.

Basebf555 posted:

His name is Tar-Man, AKA Juicy Zombie, and he is the best zombie in film history.

I knew he had a name! Well let's just say that some Juicy Zombie art is now going to be a prize for some lucky goon in this thread.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that's my favorite scene in the whole movie. I laugh my rear end off every time, the warehouse crew just got done with this crazy misadventure to cremate the "rabid weasels", and just as they're breathing a sigh of relief the camera pans up and the music kicks in and you realize that they just committed the gently caress up to end all gently caress ups. Probably the funniest moment in what I'd say is the funniest horror movie of all-time.

I was fortunate to see it for the first time off a 35mm print at the theater, and the moment when the nuke went off got such a big laugh.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Linnea Quigley stands out (of course) for her nudity, her bizarre sexual characterization, and a disturbing flesh-colored codpiece which is more horrific than pubic hair or actual genitalia.

Seeing that weird codpiece is a product of the HD era. On VHS I just assumed she was totally naked.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Seeing that weird codpiece is a product of the HD era. On VHS I just assumed she was totally naked.

The funniest thing is why they gave her a codpiece. O'Bannon kept making his movie and every step he gave the producers a heart attack because he kept forgetting that they had to make everything safe for TV or easy to edit for TV.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I knew he had a name! Well let's just say that some Juicy Zombie art is now going to be a prize for some lucky goon in this thread.

If I were to be so lucky, I have a place of honor on my wall ready to go! I just moved into a new apartment this year and my walls still aren't completely decorated yet. I have a Bride of Frankenstein poster, a Lawrence of Arabia poster, and that's about it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

If I were to be so lucky, I have a place of honor on my wall ready to go! I just moved into a new apartment this year and my walls still aren't completely decorated yet. I have a Bride of Frankenstein poster, a Lawrence of Arabia poster, and that's about it.

There's a few prizes that will appeal to you and fix that problem.

It's exhausting on my end but whatevs. It's my sworn duty as Horror Chellenge runner, and it's worth it. MZ has been very helpful on the front end planning.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

MZ has been very helpful on the front end planning.

Have I though? I feel like you've done all the heavy lifting. :ohdear:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

I rented this online (It's no longer on Shudder or Amazon Primse :psyduck:), but I saw that Wal-Mart has a blu-ray with a cover designed by (some artist who's name I can't find anywhere now), and it looks cool:

As far as I know, it's got the same special features as the other blu-ray editions, and it's $10, so I may as well buy it.

I was in Best Buy the other day digging through the discount bin for horror (picked up Jaws, Chronicle, Under the Skin, and a Freddy vs Jason/Nightmare on Elm Street remake/Friday the 13th remake 3 pack, as well as a Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction/Jackie Brown 3 pack and Expendables 3 pack) and saw a whole wall of these DVDs with horror classics like Return, Killer Klown, Child's Play, Night, etc. And a few random stuff like Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Jennifer's Body. I have no idea what to make of them. I considered picking up Killer Klowns because it was cool art but I have a copy already and $10 didn't seem worth it. Consider Return too since it was one of the few I didn't already own and looked pretty cool. But they definitely made for an interesting look for the horror collector (and I assume that's the purpose to try and sell new copies for display to us weirdos).

Also Prime suddenly booted a bunch of horrors and it bummed me out. Return was one of them but I was all set to finally watch Suspiria and then it disappeared from Prime entirely. I can't even rent or buy it. But I know it was there a few days ago and was just saving it for October 1st. Bummer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Don't buy those Walmart blu rays just for the cover art, the new covers are just cardboard inserts.

Now, DO buy them if you just want to have a copy of Return of the Living Dead or Child's Play etc, because they aren't bad versions or anything and $10 is pretty cheap. Unfortunately you can't just walk into a store in 2017 and expect to find stuff like Return of the Living Dead, typically you have to go online for that kind of thing.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 25, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Don't buy those Walmart DVDs just for the cover art, the new covers are just cardboard inserts.

Now, DO buy them if you just want to have a copy of Return of the Living Dead or Child's Play etc, because they aren't bad versions or anything and $10 is pretty cheap. Unfortunately you can't just walk into a store in 2017 and expect to find stuff like Return of the Living Dead, typically you have to go online for that kind of thing.

I'm pretty sure it's the actual cover and not just the insert. They did a Pop Art series for 80's comedies, and my Weird Science was the pop art cover (I think).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the actual cover and not just the insert. They did a Pop Art series for 80's comedies, and my Weird Science was the pop art cover (I think).

Oh, that's better then. Someone in the blu ray thread said that they were just cardboard inserts but they may have just been assuming or mistaken. I haven't been in there myself, maybe I'll stop by today and grab Child's Play.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Oh, that's better then. Someone in the blu ray thread said that they were just cardboard inserts but they may have just been assuming or mistaken. I haven't been in there myself, maybe I'll stop by today and grab Child's Play.

If you do, let me know if I'm wrong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm probably going to stop back into Best Buy later this week to get a new phone, so I might pick up Return when I'm there. The art really fits that and it and Killer Klowns were the two I was considering.

Although the really weird art for Abraham Lincoln and Megan Fox was amusing.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rewatched John Dies at the End for the first time since it came out and boy, that movie is Bad. The book is fairly enjoyable, but the movie is just terribly done. I usually love Don Coscarelli, but this was a misfire.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

If you do, let me know if I'm wrong.

I was just there and they are in fact just cardboard inserts. On the other had, they're not even $10, they're $7, so Child's Play was kind of a no-brainer at that price. Obviously Return of the Living Dead too, but I already have that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I was just there and they are in fact just cardboard inserts. On the other had, they're not even $10, they're $7, so Child's Play was kind of a no-brainer at that price. Obviously Return of the Living Dead too, but I already have that.

Sweeeeet.

By the way, Spirited Away is going to be in a lot of theaters near the end of October, and it definitely counts towards the goal. I'll be seeing it for sure.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Watched Pi on Shudder. It was the first time I've seen it in years. It's still a Panic Attack on Film.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Rewatched John Dies at the End for the first time since it came out and boy, that movie is Bad. The book is fairly enjoyable, but the movie is just terribly done. I usually love Don Coscarelli, but this was a misfire.

John Dies At The End and Phantasm V both have the same problems, they're ugly as sin and don't really flow at all.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This movie felt like a huge step back for Zombie. It's got all his signatures (southern-fried rock, carnies, ultraviolence) but just feels like a waste. It felt worse than a bad movie, it felt pedestrian. Like, yep - there's the father figure, tough guy, final girl, joker, etc. It's like he looked at the gauntlet thrown by Cabin in the Woods and ran screaming into the past.

If you'd never seen a movie before, I guess it would be OK, but poo poo, even the Platinum Dunes remake of My Bloody Valentine was better than this.

Movies Watched:Midnight Meat Train, IT, Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Saw 7, Phantasm, Demons, Rockula, House of the Devil, 31

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 26, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

9: The Bloodstained Butterfly (1971)

I'm almost loath to include this one. It's obviously a giallo, being positively littered with badly dubbed Italians committing the usual terrible crimes - wearing flared trousers, thinking they're good in bed when they're not, and of course the occasional murder - but at the same time it's more of a police procedural than a horror movie. I think I have to let it in, as it follows the form and there are some flashes of suspenseful mood, particularly towards the climax of the movie. It just doesn't really work, spending too long trying to ground itself in reality through the well researched forensic science to allow the plot to reach the necessary levels of insanity.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Well it's like 90 degrees where I am and the summer is still hanging on so I figured TCM was a perfect way to kick off a run of Tobe Hooper films that will take me all the way to October 1st. What I'll always remember this movie for is how grimy and gross everything is, everything inside the house is all sticky from god knows what and there's feathers everywhere and they land on stuff and stick to it and on and on.

Interesting how aspects of the plot become more clear after you've seen it a few times. For instance, I'd forgotten that the reason the main characters are in town at all is because of the graveyard desecrations, which Leatherface's family was involved with. Or the whole slaughterhouse thing where it's implied that maybe the family was in that business and now that they can't do it anymore they have to get their kicks elsewhere.

The attention to detail is what makes it though, it's just great, iconic production design. Like how they have a lamp made out of a human face, but it's legitimately used in the scene as a cool looking way to light it. It seems like something they would use, it's disgusting, and it actually works.

Completed:The Wicker Man, Deadly Blessing, Night Creatures, Shock Waves, Slugs, Venom, Maximum Overdrive, Christine, The Tingler, The Masque of the Red Death, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Starting late but here we go.

1. Planet of the Vampires

:swoon: Look at those uniforms :swoon:

gently caress that, look at that shot composition. My first time watching, and I think my first ever Bava, which I hope to remedy this year. Maybe what I love the most is how throughout the film he managed to make a convincing blasted wasteland hellscape that is so richly suffused with color.

I think it's hard to make a space film that doesn't touch on mankind's insignificance through the simple scale of the thing. That makes it well suited to horror, as we've all seen many times. Now, Bava didn't have the technology or the budget to give us too much of the unceasing void and blackness of space, but he is able to reinforce this idea through his camerawork and staging again and again. Planets are only ever seen through a clouded viewscreen and at a great distance. Look at this shot of the crew on one of their own spaceships:

Even on home base, familiar territory they are instantly helpless, dwarfed in both meaning and beauty by the struts and lights and dark shadows.

The alien ship they will soon discover, populated by the corpses of giants, looks more like some kind of cave of giant crystals than a piece of technology as we might understand it.

But even those mammoth sized bones were nothing in the truth of bare reality. No other paths of evolution or technological development could have saved either crew, no "doing".

This is hardly going to exhaust everything that could be said about the film, and in particular it's influence on later directors. But it's a gorgeous piece of formal exploration of some of the cosmic horror that Bava touches on where even the monsters of the film are themselves simply trying to escape the death of their planet's sun, an inevitable and impartial portion of physical reality.

Great film and now I'm hype for the rest of October. See you soon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you're planning on more Bava definitely watch Kill Baby, Kill!. It's one of his better films just in terms of visuals, if you liked what you saw in Planet of the Vampires.

Blood and Black Lace is also a must-watch but I've had a hard time tracking that one down in the past, I ended up blind-buying a blu ray out of frustration.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

The Dead Next Door is a pretty fun movie. It looks like it cost around $2 to make, and Bruce Campbell overdubbed at least one character's voice. It's not a good movie, but I liked it.

edit: Haha, the guy who made it retweeted my joke about its budget. Unexpected.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 26, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

After I posted about it someone said he also did the voice for the Carpenter character, which I somehow didn't notice while watching.

13. Tremors 2 5: Bloodlines - It's no Tremors 2, but this is better than you'd expect for the fifth (PG-13) entry in a horror franchise. We're sticking with the development of Burt's monster hunting brand, but moving the setting to South Africa where graboids aren't supposed to exist. Turns out not only do they exist, they're sufficiently well-known to feature in local ritual dance but nobody ever bothered telling Burt because he's still just some random weirdo who lives in the middle of the desert.

Anyway there are guns and a helicopter and monsters exploding for the express purpose of covering most of the cast with orange goop. There's also an unusually direct Jurassic Park callback which felt like kind of a weird thing to see in a 2015 movie. It's all pretty okay.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
1)Ghostwatch
2)Willow Creek
3)Mother!
4:Q
5)Vampyros Lesbos

6)Saw:The Final Chapter

I'm a bit of a saw apologist, but never got around to this one. It's kind of middle of the road as far as Saw movies go. It's the seventh one, so you know what you're getting and there aren't any real surprises.

:spooky::spooky:.5/5

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Wound up not having a whole lot of time this weekend to watch stuff so here's a brief catchup.

7. Ghostwatch: Behind the Curtains (2012)
dir. Rich Lawden

Cashing in on the documentary option. This is a 20th anniversary Behind the Scenes doc about everyone's favorite BBC special Ghostwatch, which is a film I actually just saw for the first time earlier this month and immediately fell in love with. Although strictly a talking heads affair, Behind the Curtains has a lot of insight to offer into the pre-production process and the resulting fallout of its broadcast. Ghostwatch had the double whammy of being both a horror film and a TV movie, causing it to be vastly overlooked by serious critics for years, something the documentary touches on. But through this loving doc, the movie gets its due for how it utilized the medium of television to create a new form of narrative storytelling and traumatize a generation of kids.

8. Snuff (1976)
dir. Michael Findlay & Roberta Findlay

I just started reading David Kerekes' Killing for Culture: An Illustrated History of Death Film from Mondo to Snuff and the opening chapter is dedicated to this film. I'll be loosely following along with the book as I move through it.

More infamous for its marketing campaign than the film itself, but the movie holds up as an (extremely poor taste) Manson exploitation flick. Featuring a "Born to Be Wild" knockoff song as its main theme, and delving into Herschell Gordon Lewis styled splatter gore, Snuff (original title "Slaughter") plays out as a surprisingly more accessible film than I expected, albeit one that is still extremely gruesome, although with more of a sense of humor about itself than I expected.

9. The Last House on Dead End Street (1974)
dir. Roger Watkins

Spectral splatter. A true nightmare film. Typically you hear about the arthouse film that gets played at the grindhouse (Night Porter, Warhol's sex films). Here you have what ought to be the inverse, an artistic triumph soaked in blood and viscera, sewing together the line between misogyny and critique. Simultaneously repulsive but unforgettable.

Watched: It (2017); The Invisible Man; mother!; Carnival of Souls; Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III; Dementia; Ghostwatch: Behind the Curtains; Snuff; The Last House on Dead End Street (Total: 9)

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Movie #15: Demons

"Dario Argento Presenta"
*Eyes instinctively glaze over*

I should preface this by saying I hate Italian horror movies in general but I'm always open to checking out new stuff. I also have to say I've seen Demons '95 and it's actually one of my favorite movies.

This movie is...not good? It's middling. It's scattershot. It's just fuckin everywhere. Zombies/demons are attacking a movie theater showing a movie about demons/zombies attacking people and also a group of people in a car are arguing about/cleaning up cocaine who then wander into the zombie-filled theater and the whole thing lacks direction. It's like a fever dream. It is peak Italian cinema. Everything is red and blue and confusing. The practical effects are ok but it's really nothing special. I'll stick to Demons '95. The seventh and superior sequel. One of the characters goes nuts with a prop katana in a hair metal-backed killing rampage at one point. There is just so much crazy, random poo poo going on in this movie. It's fun in a bad way. That doesn't make sense. Just like Italian movies.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deathrow Gameshow

Deathrow Gameshow (the actual gameshow is called Live or Die) is a movie that exists thanks to Z-budget maniac Mark Pirro, whose studio slogan is, I poo poo thee nay, a titty:

The plot, such as it is, is cribbed liberally from The Running Man, but with a much meaner streak. Chuck Toedan definitely is the proto-Jigsaw with his unwinnable traps for death row cons. While there's some eye-rolling lazy jabs at moralizing women with giant shoulderpads that roamed the TV talk circuit, it's mostly focused on a gangster going after Chuck for killing a mob boss on air.

The gangster is the only part of the movie that really merits mention, as he is incredibly foul in such a joyous way that you can't help but laugh. The only other thing of note is Jack McCaffrey's absolutely terrifyingly accurate portrayal of a psycho game show host, the image of him is truly creepy:

I gotta say, while it isn't a good movie, I definitely enjoyed my time with it.

Movies Watched:Midnight Meat Train, IT, Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Saw 7, Phantasm, Demons, Rockula, House of the Devil, 31. Deathrow Gameshow

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm curious: do action movies that overlap with horror stylistically, like Hobo with a Shotgun or Deadbeat at Dawn or Assault on Precinct 13, count for this challenge?

I've had Deadbeat at Dawn on deck ever since I watched the Cine-Masochist review (that dude is awesome, by the way) and I'll make it more of a priority if it counts.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
Movie 1: Bay of Blood

Bay of Blood is certainly a slasher film, and I gather is considered seminal. I was a little skeptical going in because I'd never seen it, but I knew Italian horror movies could be a bit hit-or-miss. There's a lot of brilliance from Italy, but there's also a lot of boring dogshit.

When I'd do bad movie nights with my friends years ago, there'd usually be a collective groan in the living room when we first heard the weird stilted dubbed dialogue that comes with Italian horror. Since we were young idiots and didn't research directors or films, we'd end up with something like "Night of the Zombies." It sounds so promising, but it's really just 100 minutes of gross sex scenes and terrible actors reading incomprehensible scripts. If you were lucky, there'd be a bit of shocking gore every 20 minutes or so, but often not.

Luckily Bay of Blood falls firmly on the good side of Italian horror. Yes, the dialogue is dubbed, but it's not nearly as distracting as the cheaper, shlockier giallo films. Plus the rest of the movie is loving awesome!

While I hadn't seen any of his films, I knew the name Mario Bava. I knew that he was well known for making bloody, sex-filled grindhouse type films, but that was the extent of it. I knew what other giallo directors like Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci were capable of, but without a particular frame of reference, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect.

I will say I assumed that things would be somewhat tamer than similar giallo films that came along later, but I'm a stupid baby. During the second kill of the film, I said an audible "dang" based on how gruesome it was. In 1971, this must have been pretty shocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLWxla5OXbQ

You can tell how seminal these kills are, because you've seen them a hundred times in a hundred different movies.

I assume a lot of people who have seen this movie in the past either saw it on crappy, cheaply printed film stock at a drive-in, or on VHS. I think that cruddy presentation probably would benefit the gory parts of the film by blurring the edges a little bit. I love living in 2017 and having access to all of these great weird movies lovingly restored in gorgeous 1080p, but the effects don't really hold up under the crystal clear HD. But I'm so glad the Blu Ray exists for everything that isn't a beheading, because it's a wonderfully shot film.

So, as fun as they are, let's take just a minute to look beyond the gory murders.

I think it's probably safe to say this: Mario Bava is a weirdo genius. There's a way to make Bay of Blood quickly, easily, and cheaply. The shock value of the murders would have been enough to sell tickets and make it a formative classic, but Bava is a real, honest-to-goodness filmmaker. And it shows in almost every scene.

There's a fantastic scene at the beginning of the film, when two characters who have just been introduced to us are having a conversation. At that point, the audience has no idea the impact they will have on the story, and based on the jarring nature of the first two kills, we're not even sure if they'll survive through the scene. But Bava gives us an interesting clue.

Watch this for 20 seconds or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrR7J6mQs-s&t=626s

It seems like standard exposition; just a couple of characters establishing their place in the plot. But take a close look at the glass decorations on the table in front of the actress:

Bava is framing her as someone with several faces, some twisted and distorted. It's subtle, but can be seen as serious foreshadowing as the character develops throughout the story.

There's a lot of cool cinema going on in Bay of Blood. Often after a murder scene, there's a jarring transition to something else. My absolute favorite comes after a couple are speared together while having sex (watch until 38:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrR7J6mQs-s&t=2249s

First of all, I love how orgasmic the death is. There's an intense, dramatic penetration, a lot of clutching, a shudder, and then stillness.

Then the cut to the car. That might be the greatest transition in horror movie history, and really clues the audience in to the subtle farce of it all. Not only is it brutally violent, but it's also super funny! In 1971!

I mean, holy poo poo the goofy smile on that car...

That got me to do a full guffaw.

Here's another amazing transition (watch until 1:00:48):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrR7J6mQs-s&t=3630s

That might be one of the greatest decapitations ever, and the smash (literally) cut to children dropping a weird clay head on the ground is brilliant. Just as you start to process the bloody, spurting stump of neck staring directly at the camera, you're laughing at the absurdity of the following scene. It's some master level toying with the audience, and I love that poo poo.

These are definitely some of the more memorable scenes, but the whole film is a delight to look at! Bava loves a kinetic camera and keeps the point of view moving and shifting, almost at all times. It gives you the sense that there's an unseen character in each scene, and we are looking through their eyes. Long panning shots, dramatic zooms, tracking shots that lead us into the scene, and a chase scene through the woods that was a clear influence on Sam Raimi make for some really interesting visuals.

And the plot isn't half bad either. Based on IMDB, it looks like Bay of Blood had a whole bunch of writers, and I don't get the sense that they were all working on it at the same time, or had the same level of influence. There's a lot going on, and it takes until the end of the movie to unravel all of the various plot threads, but it really works. The mystery of who killed who and why takes a long time to resolve, and has some pretty badass twists along the way. But it's never pointlessly confounding, and Bava does a great job of keeping the story together despite how complicated it gets by the end.

It's like a really good episode of Columbo, except there's no detective trying to solve the crime and people get their heads lopped off. In fact, it might be better to describe the story as downright Shakespearean, especially since the film winks and nods to this idea with one of the final lines of the film.

Since I hope you'll give Bay of Blood a whirl, I'm not going to spoil what happens. I will say that the ending is just as jarring and hilarious and absurd as the rest of the film, and was described as the greatest ending of all time by noted genius Joe Dante. Trust me, it's amazing and totally worth the paltry 84 minute run time. If any of this review looked or sounded vaguely interesting to you, definitely check it out.

Summary:

Bay of Blood is a gory, interesting, beautiful, absurdist masterpiece of slasher horror, and should definitely be on your list if you're a fan of the genre. Easy recommend.

Trot_to_Trotsky fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 26, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey. You're that orb.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Movie #16: The Phoenix Tapes '97

A neat found footage movie about the 1997 Phoenix Lights Incident. The movie does a great job of looking just like footage taken on a camcorder from 1997. The clothes and the vehicles and everything are period specific with no visible cracks in the facade. It holds up super well until a no-poo poo obviously cgi alien and alien spacecraft show up. Other than that it's pretty great how well it's made. A little slow in the build up but overall a worthy addition to the found footage genre if that's what you're into.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

14. The Abominable Dr. Phibes - Nine eternities in doom! This is a nearly perfect movie. I've seen talk about one of the deaths in the horror thread a few times but it still caught me completely off guard and got actual laughter, the execution is just that good. Dr. Phibes and his assistant are great; they spend all day playing music and dancing and generally having a ball, then go out at night and murder a man with adorable cuddly bats. It looks like a perfect life. Really the only part of this thing that's kind of a downer is his assistant not making it out - she seemed great and as far as the movie tells us has no personal stake in things; she's just loyal and competent and hard-working. I was looking forward to her finishing the job up and moving on to start her own life as a supervillain with her profits. Very sad.

Pictured below: A well-spent evening at home.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Movie #17: Fear Clinic

Fear Clinic is a movie about a doctor (Robert Englund) who can cure fear with his patented fear chamber. Unfortunately previously cured patients are starting to return to his clinic, suffering strange hallucinations. I liked this movie though it was flawed. There is a cool idea in there that I think wasn't utilized or expounded on enough. Either way it had some neat practical effects and the CGI is fairly unobtrusive. I also enjoy watching Robert Englund not play Freddy Kreuger. The plot is interesting but at times wholly predictable. It's good middle of the road Chiller TV fodder.

Edit: was distributed by Chiller Films. I have learned that if Chiller Films is the distributor, you're in for a mediocre but enjoyable time.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 26, 2017

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cult of Chucky

Some slow parts but a lot of fun kills and I hope they continue with this extremely silly premise. Brad Dourif as always was fantastic.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#5 A Field in England (2013)
Refreshingly different, but it felt more like a trippy thriller/drama than a horror movie. I enjoyed it just fine, but definitely not blown away by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
3. The VVitch (2015)
This one is difficult. I can see how it's a Good Movie. It's super serious, almost completely desaturated and the dialogue is supposedly (at least partially) based on actual period texts so everything is very authentic. But personally I just couldn't get into it very much and didn't find it particularly tense or scary. Blasting scary music over still shots of landscapes doesn't do anything to help really.

In this case the focus is on a single family in 17th century New England exiled from their village for being too much of a religious zealots. Then there's the witch loving with the family in the style of Alien where the amount of screen time is kept to a minimum. The rest of the time the family dealing with 17th century drama which is interesting in the "look at these dummies, not as smart as I, the smug 21st century atheist" angle but because of this huge disconnect I'm not sure it's usefully saying anything about religion or sexism nowadays. The stuff with the witch is pretty effective but IMO it's a too little too late situation, because unlike with the Alien, the rest of the movie didn't really sustain the tension for me.

4. Goodnight Mommy/ Ich Seh, Ich Seh (2014)
For horror it inherently makes sense to focus in small groups of people so now we're down to just 3 family members living in a nice house on a lake. The mother comes home to her twin sons after having cosmetic surgery and the kids are a bit freaked out over it, not sure if she's actually their mother, and their attempts to discover the truth escalate throughout the movie. I could see the twist coming from a mile away, but it's still pretty effective once poo poo starts to get real, and I certainly didn't expect it to go as far as it did. It's also pretty good at maintaining some ambiguity about the background so you can fill in as you wish. It's not too long but I wish it had something more going on in the early parts.

I really need to see something cheesier and less serious, this poo poo is starting to get to me.

• Locked thread