Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

bilperkins2 posted:

Dammit that Crystal Tower was a fun idea ruined by a difficulty rating of 140 max. I spent a ton of time making 5 distinct parties, hemming and hawing over who to bring, knowing in the back of my mind that it wouldn't matter since none of the bosses would even survive long enough to even use a Soul Break. Then in the final battle I end up just using my A-Team anyway.

An Elite version is coming later that will be more of an actual difficulty. I did the same thing, mostly so I could bookmark all my teams now and have poo poo ready and mostly put together for the ones that will take actual effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

bilperkins2 posted:

Dammit that Crystal Tower was a fun idea ruined by a difficulty rating of 140 max. I spent a ton of time making 5 distinct parties, hemming and hawing over who to bring, knowing in the back of my mind that it wouldn't matter since none of the bosses would even survive long enough to even use a Soul Break. Then in the final battle I end up just using my A-Team anyway.

I completely misread the rules and then used my B and C players in the final battle. Made for a slightly more interesting fight, but it should've been a 180 fight at least.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Rejoice, for the elite crystal tower is coming with five 140 fights and a 220 Chaos battle at the end.

Probably coming at the same time the MP Omega will :barf:

The MP Omega you need to beat three times for a CM that rewards 200 4* motes afaik

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Apparently the drops from mini cactuars are based on the stage of the dungeon you're in, ie, cactuars in the first stage drop fire orbs, cactuars in the second stage drop dark orbs, etc. It's based on the order they appear in the dungeon banner. So if you just do the first stage of the dungeon and then retreat, you're going to end up more fire orbs than the others.

This true and why I'm going in really hard on the dark orb floor

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
you can keep doing the same dungeon without retreating as long as its not the last one, i believe

e: nvm

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 25, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Once again, though, Lightning orbs are on the third stage of their respective floor :(

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I need to go in on Power Orbs, which aren't a part of this phase. Hopefully it's on stage one of its dungeon.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
why does the roulette animation have a skip button if it doesn't work :mad:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AegisP posted:

Once again, though, Lightning orbs are on the third stage of their respective floor :(

Again, summon orbs are on the last node. God damnit.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I don't think I understand. Are you guys saying the specific orbs come from specific rounds, or specific battles?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

I don't think I understand. Are you guys saying the specific orbs come from specific rounds, or specific battles?

The Mini Cactaurs, if they drop a Greater Orb, always drop a Greater Orb type keyed to a specific stage (ie- Ice in Part 2, and Earth in Part 1) of the dungeon. Every other orb drop (regular orbs, regular Cactaur drops, Gigantaur drops) is random, but it means you'll end up with more greaters (and thus majors) of one specific orb type if you only run a specific stage of a dungeon.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
unless it only applies to minis its not true because i've had a normal cactuars on the same node and same round drop 2 different greater orb types and gigantuars in the same node but different rounds drop 2 different major orbs

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

ceaselessfuture posted:

Specific Battles in a sense.

It's a feature that got added to the Mini-Cactuar Hordes last fest and it should count for the 90/120 Difficulties: each of them have a Greater Orb instead of a normal one, and said Greater Orb will always be of a certain type depending on the Stage in the Dungeon.

They follow the order the types are listed in the Dungeon Name, so in this Fest's First Phase Part 1 is Summon or Fire, Part 2 is Ice or Dark and Part 3 is Earth or White. That way you can hoard more of the Orbs that are not Earth or White simply by repeating cleared stages until someone reaches their level cap.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 25, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

That's really good to know, I need a shitload of dark and wind orbs.

Also man my bad luck is extending to these roulette chips, almost 600 stamina spent without seeing a single gold knight so far.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Ahh, okay. That's really cool, since at the moment I need a ton of Ice and Holy.

QUESTION TIME

I've been slowly collecting a horde of Mage BSBs since I started and it's finally gotten to the point where I have better quality mage relics than melee relics. I lack Raines and OK BSBs (using Tyro USB2 and Sazh SSB as a faithga stopgap), so I won't be making the conversion anytime soon, but I like planning ahead.

With all that in mind, who are my best mages?

Ace USB
Vayne BSB, LMR, SSB
Hope BSB2
Vivi BSB2
Marach BSB
Terra BSB1
Papalymo BSB
Rydia OSB

e: probably not relevant but I have Rapha LMR too.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 25, 2017

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

That's really good to know, I need a shitload of dark and wind orbs.

Also man my bad luck is extending to these roulette chips, almost 600 stamina spent without seeing a single gold knight so far.

My luck with gold knights hasn't been that bad but anecdotally I'm seeing them spawn far less then they did last time.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
at the very least, im using the 3 apology mythril for refreshes

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Of course I get three sets of mini cactaurs in a row when just getting the Upgrade Mats one out of the way.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

ceaselessfuture posted:

Ahh, okay. That's really cool, since at the moment I need a ton of Ice and Holy.

QUESTION TIME

I've been slowly collecting a horde of Mage BSBs since I started and it's finally gotten to the point where I have better quality mage relics than melee relics. I lack Raines and OK BSBs (using Tyro USB2 and Sazh SSB as a faithga stopgap), so I won't be making the conversion anytime soon, but I like planning ahead.

Ace USB
Vayne BSB, LMR, SSB
Hope BSB2
Vivi BSB2
Marach BSB
Terra BSB1
Papalymo BSB
Rydia OSB

Papalymo's BSB is top tier I believe with his legend spheres done, (I have this and its amazing) but I don't know about the rest. OSBs are typically underperformers without en-element or a weakness going for it. Terra's BSB1 is garbage, comparatively.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Vivi, Papa, and Ace are your best, but Papa and Ace cover the same niche. Vivi should be used for his party buffing, using his c1 command with weakness and abilities if the elements are resisted.

Your mages aren't that great otherwise, but it's a decent start. You can competently hit holy, dark and lightning weaknesses, but none of those relics are worth full diving a character over.

Basically, you can probably OWN sea lion today, but I don't think your mages will do much for the other magicite. They can probably do decently well against D220 content though, especially if you RW a good complimentary BSB.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

ceaselessfuture posted:

QUESTION TIME

Ace USB
Vayne BSB, LMR, SSB
Hope BSB2
Vivi BSB2
Marach BSB
Terra BSB1
Papalymo BSB
Rydia OSB

Like Snazzy said, Papalymo's Burst gives you the Best DPS ratio but he needs two sources of 30% MAG buffs besides the Bargain in his Cmd2 to reach the Burst's Full Potential on top of his Legend Dive. You can team Papa with Vivi and the latter's MAG/RES buff on his BSB2's entry to get a start.

Hope, Marach and Vayne's Burst are more of the Utility kind (The former can Slow/Dispel/Stun with his commands depending of the state of his Summon Toggle, the second brings a MAG/RES debuff in his burst's entry and the latter is a self-healing Hybrid), Terra's Burst is a prototype from way back when DeNA was still figuring out how to design Mage Bursts.

Rydia's OSB might find some use against Magicite Bosses Hydra, Liquid Flame & Shadow Dragon with enough Buffs and an Imperil.

Ace's Ultra gives him around three turns where he's a Magic Machine Gun with honed-enough abilities...

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Well I held my breath and pulled the 30 pull...

ended up 6/30

Ashe OSB
Edward's Lamia Harp BSB
Rapha's Cypress Pole BSB
Paine's Guise BSB
Delita's Coral Sword SSB
Jecht's Jorts SSB

I'm particularly happy with Paine's Guise as it's a nice light armor with ATK and +water for my Edge USB/BSB deathstroke combo. Now I have to chase Rikku's USB fist for a non-synergy locked +water weapon for him...

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

My bad, I actually have Vivi's Proof of Existence which isn't a buffing BSB (aoe entry+standard fire commands, thought it was #2), but thanks for the comments regardless! I'll work on Papalymo and dive Ace for now and continue to work on Vayne (since he's my star PHY DPS at the moment as well).

My Physical relics aren't much better, so that's why I posed the question. Gonna go HARD on banner 5 for Raines' BSB and depending on my luck with Banner 3, I'm gonna go for Shadow too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The roulette wheel gave me just enough motes to finish Ramza's legend dive!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

The parade phase worth jumping into? What's the best banner right now or is it just char specific

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Pladdicus posted:

The parade phase worth jumping into? What's the best banner right now or is it just char specific

This current phase banner isn't bad if you've got nostalgia for the NES games - Luneth's USB, Onion Knight's BSB, and Maria's BSB are all top-tier relics, and I've heard good stuff about a couple other relics on it, but we seem to rarely get events for those realms so while most people probably don't have much synergy for them, you also don't really need it very often.

Tomorrow we get the SNES banner, which has a few great relics on it too - Bartz' USB and BSB2, Celes' BSB2, and Golbez' BSB are all very solid, and all of the USBs seem pretty good in general.

Phase 3 has Cloud's USB, which is game-changing for magicite stuff (and everything else, but then you can RW it). Cloud's BSB2, Squall's BSB2, Eiko's BSB, and Edea's BSB are also real good. There's a decent pool of ice stuff here if, like me, you don't have a lot of coverage for that element. Zidane's USB is supposed to be pretty good, and Squall's is...not. This also has Garnet's BSB1, which isn't good but comes on a very useful +lightning dagger.

Phase 4 has Rikku's amazing USB, Vaan's BSB, and Ashe's BSB. It also has Tiny Bee. Auron's BSB and Seymour's BSB are also kind of weird and not great.

Phase 5 is probably the strongest banner overall if you don't have any dupes - all the USBs are solid (Alphinaud's is nuts), Alphinaud, Papalymo, and Cid's BSBs are top-tier, Yda and Gladiolus' BSBs are good too. I think some people here have said Iris' BSB is good, but I don't have any experience with it.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
We technically have more FFIII events upcoming then any other realm right now (tied with Tactics and VIII at 2), even if one event is just one banner. FFV and XI have no upcoming events, for comparison.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Elephant Ambush posted:

The roulette wheel gave me just enough motes to finish Ramza's legend dive!

Haha I check back to see what I can fill in for Y'shtola and Bartz everytime I do the roulette. Fuckin love that thing because every prize on there is useful for me. Generally feeling like a little kid at a carnival since this is my first festival thing.

Question: does Phase 1 of the orbfest go away once Phase 2 drops?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

jebeebus posted:

I believe so.

So on the topic of the Orbfest, some nerd spent 20,000 stamina and made a thread with some stats:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/72fwn5/20000_stamina_later_30th_anniversary_orbfest_507/

tldr: prepare to spend 5k stamina exclusively on Orbfest 120 dungeons in order to get all the Roulette prizes. This'll probably mean you'll need a few refreshes, since we just have 10 days.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pichupal posted:

We technically have more FFIII events upcoming then any other realm right now (tied with Tactics and VIII at 2), even if one event is just one banner. FFV and XI have no upcoming events, for comparison.

That being said, re: drawing for FF3 on the NES banner, isn't the next FF3 event very soon after - possibly even at the tail end of - the Anniversary, and with better banners than this one unless you really want I/II synergy for some reason?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Scratching the pull itch, so doing some more three pulls for a guaranteed 5* in the Japanese version)

FFVII - Sephiroth USB
FFVIII - Fujin's BSB!
FFIX - Kuja's OSB.
FFX - one of Lulu's SSB moogles
FFXI - Ayame's LMR armor
FFXII - Vaan's awesome BSB
FFXIII - a Sazh SSB, Canopus AMPs
FFXIV - Cid's SSB goggles and Yda's Temple Cyclas SSB

I was hoping to get a little bad luck out of the way before tomorrow night's banner 2 pull, but Fujin's BSB and Vaan's BSB were really good pulls!

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

wizard on a water slide posted:

That being said, re: drawing for FF3 on the NES banner, isn't the next FF3 event very soon after - possibly even at the tail end of - the Anniversary, and with better banners than this one unless you really want I/II synergy for some reason?

Yup, the Aria event. It is comparing a fest banner to a normal banner so it's obviously a bit weaker. That said, FFIII and Dissidia are the first banners that trade out an SSB for a BSB and LMR, so banner quality has slightly gone up and will go up again in about a month with the Rude/Elena event. Main issue is it's Luneth free, so if you're looking at FFIII banners for Bahamut, the Fest banners might be more attractive. Both Fest Banner 1 and Aria 1 have Onion BSB.

It's also the debut of Ingus's Limit Chain SB and Legend Materia Relic, both of which were in separate skipped events (Superfest, Record Missions).

The FFIII event after that is the Onion Knight bonanza with two new USBs for a physical and magical focus, but also the first regular banner with no SSBs on it. This is also the banner where CoD gets their USB-level BSB with a side of Party Doom:30. Luneth still a no show.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 26, 2017

Griz
May 21, 2001

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I think some people here have said Iris' BSB is good, but I don't have any experience with it.

I got that from the lucky draw and it's good - 30% hp barrier AND status blink, and the command 1 is instant single target heal.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

jebeebus posted:

When does this happen because I still need to complete some of them

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

It's kind of insane how fast this game made me go from desperately hoping for the 4* motes I needed on every event to now not even really caring at all because I have enough to dive basically everyone I use with any frequency at all.

edit: Instead now I'm just pissed that they keep giving us 5* wisdom motes and no spirit ones unless you are fuckin' stacked enough to CM torment dungeons.

Seriously though holy poo poo, after this event I'm going to have 250 5* wisdom motes and 30 spirit. Can my mages get some love here, literally all of them seem to need both.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 26, 2017

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
It's really only the Hybrid Mages who don't need Spirit Motes with a few weird oddities. Onion Knight, Vincent, Reno, Fujin, Vayne, Hope and Tyro.

Might be worth linking the updated version of the mote diagram again:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Jesus I really don't want to have to reference charts like that to make the most out of my stupid phone game.

I gave up bothering with MP apoc fights for a long time there due to lovely connection on my androids, so I missed out on a shitton of 4* motes. I'm super-hurting for basically everything except bravery 4* motes.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I got bored and pulled on FF6 Banner 1 mostly because I like the characters on it and thought I did pretty well with 3 rainbows until two of them were Snow Scarves. At least it looks like pretty great light armor if nothing else. Also pulled Death Tarot. I think the only fest banner I'm going to pull on is the third one mainly for Cloud's USB. There doesn't seem to be any other crazy game changing relics (I'm probably wrong since I haven;t played in like 9 months). For the Mithril Crystal Tower I'm thinking TG Cid or Vanille, although I have a ton of Healer BSB's, though none as good as Vanille's.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

just getting into this game, have an ancient account should i just re roll till i get a completely busted roll on the 30x?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

depends on what's on your old account, but yes

• Locked thread