Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I've not been keeping up with the thread very well so I don't know if this has been covered yet or not, but...

Do you guys think Poke Transporter will eventually be compatible with the recent virtual console version of Silver? I see it recognizes my copy of Red, so I sorta figure it'll work for Silver in time and that it's just not compatible yet since the release is still so fresh. I just wanna know because in my two decades of playing Pokemon I finally just came across and caught my first wild/random shiny Mon (green tentacool on Silver) and I wanna get it to my Moon game. Looks like I'll have to wait, though.

I've been seeing stuff that says it will be available in December, and this says that they will be bank compatible, but doesn't give a date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv2nnRtfCFI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I've been seeing stuff that says it will be available in December, and this says that they will be bank compatible, but doesn't give a date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv2nnRtfCFI

Okay, cool. Thanks. Guess until then I can level it up and such before the transfer

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So I've been death marching my way through Platinum this year. I've owned it for yonks and it is the only main series game I've owned and never finished. I got stuck in the Distortion World with a severely under leveled team that couldn't beat their way through Cyrus to save their lives. I transferred my team over to Heart Gold and spent the summer grinding on Mt. Silver in drips and drops. Over the weekend I looked and saw that my whole time was now a higher level than Giratina and Cyrus' team and considered transferring them back. Seeing as most of them were level 49 at that point I decided to stick on Mt. Silver to get them all to 50.

Lucky I did, as I'm now the proud owner of a shiny Golduck. Any nickname ideas? Currently looking at Roastduck since it looks like he's been tanning a little too hard. Puns are super effective.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hi Pokémon goons (pokemoons ha ha) I was wondering if any of you had this one comic, it's this one 3 panel soul strip only it's edited to a staraptor being asked who's a brave bird. Saw it years ago and thought it was hilarious but I've never been able to find it since ok tia

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont have it on hand but i think it's a talonflame in the comic so maybe that will help you find it. god bless.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Dabir posted:

Hi Pokémon goons (pokemoons ha ha) I was wondering if any of you had this one comic, it's this one 3 panel soul strip only it's edited to a staraptor being asked who's a brave bird. Saw it years ago and thought it was hilarious but I've never been able to find it since ok tia

Oh man, I've gone looking for that, too. So good. So lost. :smith:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Crosspost from the Trading thread.

Jade Mage posted:

Anyone have a 6iv ditto or the capacity to make one for me for oras? I put mine in Sun, before realizing I wanted to use tutor moves on some of my new breeds

I goofed up and sent my only 6iv Japanese totes-legit ditto to Sun, then decided I wanted a scizor. :doh:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Bit of a silly question considering what I already know about it; but are there any tips for grinding out game corner coins in gold/ silver?

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
While trying to get an egg to spawn, I caught a purple Drowzee.

Now to get every Pokemon in the human-shape group.

Filthy Haiku posted:

Bit of a silly question considering what I already know about it; but are there any tips for grinding out game corner coins in gold/ silver?

Tip: spend 10k for 500 coins, slots and cards aren't worth it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've been reading the Sun and Moon manga since it appeared on my Tumblr feed thanks to following the group that translates the Kamen Rider W manga. Guzma is my boy no matter the adaptation and I'm glad that's absolutely true in the manga as well. Sun is kind of bad as a character but I can't dislike someone who's motivation is getting all the cash to the point that every one of his Pokemon is named after currency (and a pun, because Japan). Moon is very good and I hope she keeps being very good, and I like that the manga gives both parts of the plot by having Sun do the Island Challenge and rival Gladion but it's Moon that has the Rotomdex and gets close to Lillie and seems most likely to actually befriend Gladion.

I also like that Hau gets four panels in a row where he does nothing but say and shout MALASADA. These are the first speaking panels he gets in the manga, too, so his personality is given to us immediately and without hesistation. Good writing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

You can carry it forward if you glitch the OT and id number.

i don't have the patience or memory to do an ACE

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

i don't have the patience or memory to do an ACE

I'm not sure if I do either, but some time in the next month or so we will find out.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Blaze Dragon posted:

I've been reading the Sun and Moon manga since it appeared on my Tumblr feed thanks to following the group that translates the Kamen Rider W manga.

Where is this, share please

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
That's asking for :filez:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
finding manga to read online is shockingly easy, i'm sure you'll be fine

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Ah okay I didn't mean it like that. I'll bumble around for fan stuff on my own.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I also like that Hau gets four panels in a row where he does nothing but say and shout MALASADA.

the irony is that japan doesn't even make proper malasadas

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

the irony is that japan doesn't even make proper malasadas

I don't think Hau's Japanese. Not even poke-Japanese.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

After getting as far as Goldenrod in Silver version on the 3DS, I can safely say that HG/SS get a lot more poo poo than they deserve.

Like, A LOT more. They fixed SO MUCH DUMB poo poo that was in the original. I keep thinking, as I go along "Why am I not playing Soul Silver again?" I don't remember Gen2 being this rough. I dunk on Gen1 a lot for being bad, but I didn't remember all the bad poo poo Gen2 still had in it. Level up movepools are still loving DIRE, the Pokemon selection still sucks, and a bunch of gym leaders don't even use ANY of the new Pokemon. What is this poo poo?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silver Falcon posted:

After getting as far as Goldenrod in Silver version on the 3DS, I can safely say that HG/SS get a lot more poo poo than they deserve.

Like, A LOT more. They fixed SO MUCH DUMB poo poo that was in the original. I keep thinking, as I go along "Why am I not playing Soul Silver again?" I don't remember Gen2 being this rough. I dunk on Gen1 a lot for being bad, but I didn't remember all the bad poo poo Gen2 still had in it. Level up movepools are still loving DIRE, the Pokemon selection still sucks, and a bunch of gym leaders don't even use ANY of the new Pokemon. What is this poo poo?

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how much they don't feature the new pokes.

In semi-related news, I had the most anti-climatic legendary battle ever. Went to catch Ho-oh with all my pokes in the high 20s/low 30s (it's at lvl 40). I remembered all the poo poo I went through 18 years ago in Blue trying to catch the legendary birds, so I loaded up on ultra balls and prepared to reset the game a dozen times due to running out of balls, accidentally knocking out the bird, or losing my pokes. Started the fight and tried to put it to sleep with my 'Tuff. It used Recover first, and Sing missed. Second turn it tried Recover again and Sing connected. Switched to Ampharos and proceeded to Thunderpunch and Thundershock it until there was a single pixel of health left. Caught it on the first Ultra Ball I threw. I'm not complaining because now I have a flaming murder peacock, but still a bit of a surprise.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hustlin Floh posted:

In semi-related news, I had the most anti-climatic legendary battle ever. Went to catch Ho-oh with all my pokes in the high 20s/low 30s (it's at lvl 40). I remembered all the poo poo I went through 18 years ago in Blue trying to catch the legendary birds, so I loaded up on ultra balls and prepared to reset the game a dozen times due to running out of balls, accidentally knocking out the bird, or losing my pokes. Started the fight and tried to put it to sleep with my 'Tuff. It used Recover first, and Sing missed. Second turn it tried Recover again and Sing connected. Switched to Ampharos and proceeded to Thunderpunch and Thundershock it until there was a single pixel of health left. Caught it on the first Ultra Ball I threw. I'm not complaining because now I have a flaming murder peacock, but still a bit of a surprise.

See, that's what I was prepared for with the Tapu's, but I used less than 50 luxery balls between the three that I hadn't caught yet(forgot to get Tapu Koko in one when you run into him at the end of the story). Hell I reset a lot when getting them, and most of the time I used ~5-10 each time, I just kept two unlucky ones

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hustlin Floh posted:

You are quite lucky, since Sleep, Ultra Ball, 1HP gives like a 7.5% chance at capture.

Also remember everyone that only Sleep and Freeze work in Gen 2 to increase your capture chances, the capture formula skips over the other statuses due to a bug. Also Fast Balls don't work on the legendary dogs, again, due to a bug.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crosspeice posted:

You are quite lucky, since Sleep, Ultra Ball, 1HP gives like a 7.5% chance at capture.

It's actually because I'm the very best, like no one ever was.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Crosspeice posted:

Also remember everyone that only Sleep and Freeze work in Gen 2 to increase your capture chances, the capture formula skips over the other statuses due to a bug. Also Fast Balls don't work on the legendary dogs, again, due to a bug.

I did not know either of these things, thanks! You saved me a lot of potential frustration, probably.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Crosspeice posted:

That sucks, but at least Paralysis gives them a chance to not use a move, therefore not using PP, and therefore reaching Struggle not as quickly.

There's no reliable way to Sleep or Freeze unless you're rolling with a Parasect, which honestly I should have done for the pure novelty of it. It can learn False Swipe even in Gen 2, probably. I need to think about it more because I would like to try and complete the Pokedex in this version since it will never have an internal battery death.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think Hau's Japanese. Not even poke-Japanese.

i mean like irl they're all about malasadas because of pokemon s/m and hawaii but when it comes time to make an actual malasada they're like :confused:idk here's a donut hole with cream filling:confused:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah there's lots of weird small bits of info in these games that I definitely didn't know about before I did my Crystal LP. Like a good half of the Apricorn Balls are busted, such as the Moon Ball only working on Pokemon that evolve via Burn Heal and the Love Ball working on Pokemon that are the same species and gender (which is totally not a bug). Also the Heavy Ball is only good for Lugia and Snorlax, for a lot of over heavy Pokemon it's just slightly better than an Ultra Ball or Great Ball. The Fast Ball was meant to work on every Pokemon that had a chance to flee (which included stuff like Togetic which you would never see anyway), but only works on the first 3 in that list: Grimer, Magnemite and Tangela.

If you want more informative stuff, here's an unsubtle link to my LP, but some things like Headbutt and the Ruins of Alph are different between Crystal and GS. Crystal made a lot of small changes, so it's definitely a subtler change than most 3rd versions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Silver Falcon posted:

Gen 2 sucks. Put it on my tombstone, I'll say it to my last breath. It's like gen 1 but worse to revisit because there's fewer funny bugs to exploit and a second huge, empty map to do nothing in.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

The White Dragon posted:

i mean like irl they're all about malasadas because of pokemon s/m and hawaii but when it comes time to make an actual malasada they're like :confused:idk here's a donut hole with cream filling:confused:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

when have HGSS ever gotten "more poo poo than they deserve"? If anything, the remakes get far too much credit; yeah they fix some of the technical issues and glitches (which were already a part of the code in DPPt anyway), but they do nothing to amend the game's horrific pacing and level scaling issues.

They were focused on adding bells and whistles like Pokemon following you and adding a new safari zone, but it was apparently too much to fix the distribution of the Gen 2 Pokemon so you can actually find a lot of the newer Pokemon before Kanto, or bump up the levels of the random encounters and trainers you fight? Come on.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gen 2 sucks but, like the beautiful cats arisen from the ashes by ho oh, so too does heart gold rise to be the best game in the series

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Platinum is better than either Johto remake.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only problem with the gen 2 remakes is the exp curve sucks, which was true in the originals as well

the remakes are too faithful I think

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Crystal will always have a huge place in my heart as the first video game I ever played, but gen ii has a ton of issues that have never officially been fixed.

One of my friends is making a romhack in their spare time to try and fix the level curve, lack of Johto Pokemon in Johto, and some other stuff (they made Ghost Special and Dark Physical and added Fairy as a Special type, messed with movesets, added Pokemon to trainers, stuff like that) but it's still pretty alpha so I won't link it here. Still as someone who is not good at video games, even baby games for babies like Pokemon it felt like a good fix and I hope they finish it.

But as for gen ii as it currently is, I agree that HGSS didn't do enough to fix GSC's flaws, but I'd still rather play it over GSC just because of the physical/special split and Running Shoes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TFRazorsaw posted:

when have HGSS ever gotten "more poo poo than they deserve"? If anything, the remakes get far too much credit; yeah they fix some of the technical issues and glitches (which were already a part of the code in DPPt anyway), but they do nothing to amend the game's horrific pacing and level scaling issues.

They were focused on adding bells and whistles like Pokemon following you and adding a new safari zone, but it was apparently too much to fix the distribution of the Gen 2 Pokemon so you can actually find a lot of the newer Pokemon before Kanto, or bump up the levels of the random encounters and trainers you fight? Come on.

The Safari Zone does let you catch a lot of pokemon like Murkrow or Larvitar fairly early. If you know how to manipulate the incredibly byzantine mechanics.

Also Pokewalker.

Everything else is fair tho.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

a better solution would still have been to put, for example, I dunno, Houndour before Ecruteak instead of Growlithe, and Murkrow in the same area at night instead of more Hoothoots and Noctowls.

Swarms were also a bad idea.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
cant wait to catch a swarm of, uh, quilfish

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

HG/SS don't fix the leveling system entirely, but they at least try to up levels a bit in the late-game, and postgame Kanto is filled with legitimate challenges rather than a victory lap. Also it's much easier to grind when you can call certain trainers at certain times of day and they'll always ask for a battle at that time. I don't think that was possible in the originals? If it was, it isn't well-documented at all.

They're probably the remakes that do the most to assist the region's pacing, even if it's not perfect. I love them to death.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The calling thing being more reliable would have been nice, if this wasn't a generation with the VS Seeker in it. By comparison the Pokegear was dated and clunky even with upgrades.

Raising the Kanto trainers' levels are pretty good I guess but it still feels like a half measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Platinum is better than either Johto remake.

God are you loving wrong. This game is a death march. Heart Gold I fondly remember, and I just spent the last month grinding up my Platinum team in it as well.