Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope they win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Brb, personally gonna shoot jick a message to ask him to add a speedrun option that lets you turn on stupid walking from the beginning and that's it

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
just use scripts

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaubocks posted:

holy lol i never looked up what todd rogers looked like

this is incredible

i believe in the documentary chasing ghosts you see his house. it's actually super depressing it's a dump and he sleeps on the floor in some random shittily carpeted room with a small fan blowing in his face.

another sad story related to that is one of the kids that was in that original life magazine (or whatever mag it was) photo got sent to prison for raping and attempting to murder (threw her off a bridge i think) a woman with another guy. i only found out because he was one of the few they didn't show as adults and boy was that a shock when i looked him up.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Groovelord Neato posted:

i believe in the documentary chasing ghosts you see his house. it's actually super depressing it's a dump and he sleeps on the floor in some random shittily carpeted room with a small fan blowing in his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gb536fDV9Q

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I changed my mind, his life sucks. Let him keep the record, its all he has.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
This used to be funny... now it's just sad :smith:

e: I am somewhat intrigued by the spider collection, though.

Nippashish fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 24, 2017

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Just... Just leave it be, the last bastion of his escapism.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 24, 2017

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

On Speedgaming 2 they're populating the swiss bracket for the ALTTP Open Rando tourney with a special hack played by Ben (ajneb174) winner of the last tourney. Non-progression items (Rupees, Bombs, Arrows, etc.) have been replaced by tickets with players' names, players are paired off as they appear in the game.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Oni Elem posted:

On Speedgaming 2 they're populating the swiss bracket for the ALTTP Open Rando tourney with a special hack played by Ben (ajneb174) winner of the last tourney. Non-progression items (Rupees, Bombs, Arrows, etc.) have been replaced by tickets with players' names, players are paired off as they appear in the game.

On the rando note, the super metroid item rando tourney is getting into later rounds, and the matches are getting more and more intense.

Here's the full schedule of all the tourneys on both channels.

http://speedgaming.org/schedule/

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

eSporks posted:

I changed my mind, his life sucks. Let him keep the record, its all he has.

NO

Nippashish posted:

FUN

Healbot posted:

Just... Just leave it be, the last bastion of his escapism.

ALLOWED

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dizz posted:

NO

FUN

ALLOWED

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol his life is so pathetic that he made up video game records to try to be cool

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I'm halfway through Belthasar and Straevaras' second game, and I can already post this with confidence as a supremely mean seed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokKxrlWGO4

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nippashish posted:

Now I'm just picturing Todd Rogers tied up with a cage of spiders dangling over his head.

The 5.51 is not what it seems.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Clitch posted:

I'm halfway through Belthasar and Straevaras' second game, and I can already post this with confidence as a supremely mean seed.

this is my first time watching one of these. Is the randomizer smart enough to make sure it's always technically possible to complete the game?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Venuz Patrol posted:

this is my first time watching one of these. Is the randomizer smart enough to make sure it's always technically possible to complete the game?

Yeah, you shouldn't run into any impossible seeds. There are different difficulty levels, and the tournament is running on Speedrunner difficulty which means you can be required to use tech like mockballs and short charges to break sequence. The casual setting should be beatable without sequence breaks.

It's easier to watch if you're familiar with Super Metroid speedrunning, so you know what they're capable of with the gear they have, irrespective of the game's intended sequence.

Here's game 3 of that match, and it's about as rough as the last one. They played these games in the same sitting, and you can see them getting tired after playing two nasty seeds in a row.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAE9DPUOtG4

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Hi speedrunning thread. I played Bionic Commando and had a timer running and got a new PB.

I streamed it, just because I could and peaked at 2 viewers.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Dragster

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Peewi posted:

Hi speedrunning thread. I played Bionic Commando and had a timer running and got a new PB.

I streamed it, just because I could and peaked at 2 viewers.

congrats :)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Clitch posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't run into any impossible seeds. There are different difficulty levels, and the tournament is running on Speedrunner difficulty which means you can be required to use tech like mockballs and short charges to break sequence. The casual setting should be beatable without sequence breaks.

It's easier to watch if you're familiar with Super Metroid speedrunning, so you know what they're capable of with the gear they have, irrespective of the game's intended sequence.

Here's game 3 of that match, and it's about as rough as the last one. They played these games in the same sitting, and you can see them getting tired after playing two nasty seeds in a row.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAE9DPUOtG4

This was neat.

Bet it was awful to run though.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Clitch posted:

I like the part where mookie's daughter joins them :3:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://clips.twitch.tv/WiseTenaciousAlpacaFrankerZ

LttP rando runner forgot to turn off his follow alert before streaming.

There ought to be a followup clip as well, since the commentator telling Twitch chat that it was probably a follow alert set off a barrage some minutes later.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Has anyone ever been caught cheating in a lttp rando race? Seems like it wouldn't be hard to just have the stream up on a second device in the room. I wonder what they do to curb cheating cause the commentators seem pretty confident no one has.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

The logic makes it so you can't block an item behind a space that would require that item to get there (Like, the speedbooster won't ever be in the waterway, because you can only get there with the speedbooster).

However it doesn't stop you from soft-locking yourself, running out of ammunition in a boss fight for example. This is a danger because speedrunners are used to having certain items at certain points in the game.

beep by grandpa posted:

Has anyone ever been caught cheating in a lttp rando race? Seems like it wouldn't be hard to just have the stream up on a second device in the room. I wonder what they do to curb cheating cause the commentators seem pretty confident no one has.

I don't know about LTTP but in this SM race there have been 2 DQs due to having chat open. Feral and Zoast who are both top runners who probably don't really need to cheat, but they held them to the rules and they got bumped down to the losers bracket.

There was a controversial match the other night in a game 3, a runner rage quit after dying and forfeited, but then UNFORFEITED a few minutes later. What happened in that few minutes? The other runner died as well. It raised some concerns that he checked out the stream, saw he still had a chance and came back.

It ended up not mattering because the runner who did not forfeit ended up winning, but it did raise questions about the rules going forward.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

How do they figure out that they have chat open? Sudden, very suspect change of directions directly to a critical item or something? I'll admit there have been a handful of times in LTTP where I've thought a runner who was slightly behind made a decision that I thought was a little too on the nose, in this poster's opinion...:frogbon:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just can't even fathom cheating at something as low stakes as this. There's not even a purse, is there?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Pretty sure the announcers see the whole stream from the other players and just cut it down to the relevant parts to show for the combined stream.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zebulon posted:

Pretty sure the announcers see the whole stream from the other players and just cut it down to the relevant parts to show for the combined stream.

Can't someone easily just have a phone on their desk in front of them with their opponents stream?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I just can't even fathom cheating at something as low stakes as this. There's not even a purse, is there?

Naah it's just for fun and community bragging rights.

Zebulon posted:

Yes it's something like this.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can't someone easily just have a phone on their desk in front of them with their opponents stream?

Yes of course they can, but as you noticed, it's not high enough stakes for cheating. Most of these guys know each other and race regularly and are pretty friendly in most cases.

From a technical perspective, in order to watch a stream and have it actually help, you'd have to be minutes behind due to the stream delays and the fact that people generally take similar routes. If you're already ahead cheating doesn't help much, because the person is probably going places you've already been.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
they finally stopped using Stupid Walking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha4euhBWpUM

however I found a totally different avenue to ruin fun through which is that apparently the game runs faster at higher framerates and I happen to have a 144Hz monitor so uh, whoops.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
This is getting absurd
make silly walking a toggle in the main menu after a first clear

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

they finally stopped using Stupid Walking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha4euhBWpUM

however I found a totally different avenue to ruin fun through which is that apparently the game runs faster at higher framerates and I happen to have a 144Hz monitor so uh, whoops.

I finally watched one of these, and I have to say I was not surprised with the gameplay after seeing only the one screenshot in the thumbnail.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I imagine it'd be possible to force vsync off through the graphics driver or in some other way uncap the framerate regardless of your monitor's refresh rate.

Bionic Commando's physics acts slightly differently at high framerates. The most noticeable differences are that item flies become more likely to work and that breakable walls sometimes don't work.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

:drat::golfclap:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

beep by grandpa posted:

There were a few races last tournament where racers forgot to unbind the Fast Forward key on the emulator. One guy just paused a few seconds after it happened and continued. (It was the Kiki cutscene. He didn't win, so it didn't matter.) One guy also jumped off a ledge and save-quit by mistake (which can activate Exploration Glitch); I think he asked in SRL if he could continue.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I finally watched one of these, and I have to say I was not surprised with the gameplay after seeing only the one screenshot in the thumbnail.

It's a good game.

I'm curious about what kind of other paths there'll be because obviously just racing to the finish isn't going to show off a lot of what the game has to offer since it's kinda like beating myst and getting the good ending or completing gone home as quickly as possible. Yeah, you finish them, but you end up missing out on most of the game in the process which can be a little uninteresting after a while of running something like that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

legit, counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Along with people forgetting to unbind fast forward, there was a guy in the last tourney who turned off some graphic layers so he could get through dark rooms without the lamp (or something similar). He was DQ'd from the race. Apparently he didn't know that was against the rules? In a later race he also used the fast forward and/or save state loads, and DQ'd again.

On the other hand I think there are some cases of the player getting spoiled via a private message or something and they would .forfeit in the race channel and explain why, so they were being honest about things.

• Locked thread