Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Yes.

Individual modification was discussed as something we wanted but there wasn't time for it. Might come in later.

Cool, I figure I've got the minerals to replace 1 at a time on all my full planets for a while as I research more important techs like battleships. Hopefully it'll add up to a solid discount when it comes time to project replace the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Ran into an interesting bug in my game. My territory has a ruined sentry array and ruined dyson sphere in it, and it seems to be counting them as completed constructions both for repairing the dyson sphere and sentry array and for building new ones, meaning I can't do either.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

SpaceViking posted:

Ran into an interesting bug in my game. My territory has a ruined sentry array and ruined dyson sphere in it, and it seems to be counting them as completed constructions both for repairing the dyson sphere and sentry array and for building new ones, meaning I can't do either.

Yep, a bug, and a pretty horrible one that should be addressed ASAP IMO because it's one of those big visible ones that you notice right away

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 25, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

You can create new templates from modded templates.

Wiz, I found a really strange bug:

I'm at war with those guys, but regardless of what I try, my raider fleet refuses to fire on research- and mining stations. They just endlessly hover around like this. For months. I even tried it again at other stations, same thing.

Considering raiding like this is a huge part of Stellaris-warfare, I'd consider this a pretty drat serious issue.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I don't know if it's a bug or just intended to be a huge pain in the rear end, but fleets seem to spawn from contingency origination points even if they're being blockaded. In addition to have a ridiculous amount of fortification hp, it regenerates super fast when your blockading fleet is forced to engage the new fleet. I've had it go down to something like 5k and a fleet spawns, and then it goes back to half health.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Libluini posted:

Wiz, I found a really strange bug:

I'm at war with those guys, but regardless of what I try, my raider fleet refuses to fire on research- and mining stations. They just endlessly hover around like this. For months. I even tried it again at other stations, same thing.

Considering raiding like this is a huge part of Stellaris-warfare, I'd consider this a pretty drat serious issue.

Hit the stance button. It isn't a bug.

Though it isn't made clear certainly, but it's working as intended, your fleets won't attack unarmed stations in passive mode because their inability to cross a system without stopping to shoot everything was annoying.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Hit the stance button. It isn't a bug.

Though it isn't made clear certainly, but it's working as intended, your fleets won't attack unarmed stations in passive mode because their inability to cross a system without stopping to shoot everything was annoying.

What? I can understand the fleet stance suppressing auto-fire but I manually ordered the fleet to fire! Passive behavior shouldn't override your manual orders! No wonder I thought something was wrong... :argh:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Passively ordering an attack will also make them attack mining stations in 1.8.1, so yeah it's kind of a bug, but you can workaround it by changing stance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Libluini posted:

What? I can understand the fleet stance suppressing auto-fire but I manually ordered the fleet to fire! Passive behavior shouldn't override your manual orders! No wonder I thought something was wrong... :argh:

I think the way it works is that it just stops your fleet from being able to engage because it's a bit of a hacky solution, otherwise if you got into range they'd start shooting.

I agree that it's not intuitive.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I fought a war to release four systems from my neighbour, and they formed a new nation. Nice little buffer state on our border who I guaranteed and made friends with, expecting to be able to vassalize and annex them at some point in the future. But within about ten years, two of the four systems broke off and declared independence and were then somehow annexed by the original empire again, so now my buffer state is down to two unconnected systems and my enemy has gained back half of their losses from the last war without even having to fight me over it, since I would have defended the actual buffer state if attacked on its own. The buffer state still won't become my vassal despite sky-high relations and trust, because it has a -1000 modifier for being released recently. I could bring them into my federation but I don't want a useless two-system power clogging up the federation, so what the hell do I do? Is releasing smaller states to vassalize and eventually integrate no longer a viable way to expand?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The patch added I think a 20 year cooldown from liberation wars before the new state will accept vassalization. The reason being that it's kind of stupid if pacifists can declare war on anybody and immediately annex part of their empire via vassalization, it's less pacifism and more western interventionist militarism at that point. You can vassalize them if you wait 20 years but otherwise yes you need to either actually conquer territory or find another way to get things done as a pacifist.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So my machine empire play through got the contingency.

Boy am I glad I had an entire planet devoted to engineering research

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

E: I can't count pages ignore me

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just treat your sectors as babysitters. Turn off redevelopment/robot building and only add planets to a sector when they're "finished" so you can just reap the benefits of a sensible planet grid instead of farm spam and then move onto your next planet project. Of course, this doesn't really work if you're stuck at 3 core systems but oh well, should've gone for Efficient Bureaucracy or play a Hive/Machine Mind.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Reddit is entertaining sometimes.

i have put like 250 hours in this gotdang game and still haven't seen the ai crisis.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The patch added I think a 20 year cooldown from liberation wars before the new state will accept vassalization. The reason being that it's kind of stupid if pacifists can declare war on anybody and immediately annex part of their empire via vassalization, it's less pacifism and more western interventionist militarism at that point. You can vassalize them if you wait 20 years but otherwise yes you need to either actually conquer territory or find another way to get things done as a pacifist.

Okay, that's fine, but then I should probably have some way to keep the new state intact until then rather than having systems break off it and repeatedly rejoin their previous empire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Okay, that's fine, but then I should probably have some way to keep the new state intact until then rather than having systems break off it and repeatedly rejoin their previous empire.

Well you can guarantee their independence but, how would you propose to interfere with its internal politics if it isn't your vassal?

Like it's supposed to actually be its own state, you can't have control over what it wants to do as it's not supposed to be a puppet government. That's just the price of pacifism, you get some pretty hefty bonuses but it seriously curtails your foreign policy options.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 25, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Well you can guarantee their independence but, how would you propose to interfere with its internal politics if it isn't your vassal?

Like it's supposed to actually be its own state, you can't have control over what it wants to do.

The point is that from a gameplay perspective it's stupid that half the result of this war can just be undone before the truce even expires, with no way for the empire that was victorious in the war to prevent it. Maybe the twenty-year cooldown should also apply to systems declaring independence from the newly-formed empire, otherwise any liberated empire (since it has new ethics matching the liberator, but a population still aligned with the previous owner) will quickly disintegrate and hand itself back over to its original ruler.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Roobanguy posted:

i have put like 250 hours in this gotdang game and still haven't seen the ai crisis.

Well the AI Crisis has literally been disabled for a while now, until it got reworked this patch so

That's not surprising.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really think it's stupid that as a pacifist, war is not an effective method of expanding your territory.

Liberation wars are good for destabilizing enemy empires without actually taking on more responsibility yourself. If you want to actually take territory I would suggest maybe trying to federate with a more murder happy species and declaring joint wars where they get territory or something. Or otherwise you will just have to make do with whatever little empires you can vassalize and federate with, or see if you can buy some planets off people. Diplomacy is your first recourse as a pacifist.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What I'd love to see are pacifists and the like not really being able to annex at all, but way more interesting vassal interactions that can lead to a more or less united federation vs the current federation system. Like I could liberate a bunch of terrible slave empires and force them to be egalitarian democracies, but force/bribe/encourage them all into some sort of Democratic Order Of Planets with increasing levels of integration. Basically give me some Holy Roman Empire authority poo poo and CK2 empire laws poo poo to custom mold a federation into something better.

Maybe your "federation" is more of a totally authoritarian warsaw pact like org where the "independant" nations you "liberated" are forced to join. Maybe it's just a loose defensive alliance. Maybe leadership is by vote by population, maybe it's 1 vote per member, maybe it's rotating. Give me a grab bag of options that cost some sort of authority and make me balance how much power/control I have vs how pissed off the other members are. Let me focus a federation around an ethos, like a federation of egalitarian nations, or a federation of spiritualists where I earn authority by forcing other nations to adopt our ethos or liberating planets to become that ethos. Let me build a federation with a mix of willing members, forced vassals, and released nations. Make vassals and federations cool and interesting. And uh, give us a Hoi2 style option to just take control of AI military because ally AI is really dumb and bad.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really think it's stupid that as a pacifist, war is not an effective method of expanding your territory.

Liberation wars are good for destabilizing enemy empires without actually taking on more responsibility yourself. If you want to actually take territory I would suggest maybe trying to federate with a more murder happy species and declaring joint wars where they get territory or something. Or otherwise you will just have to make do with whatever little empires you can vassalize and federate with, or see if you can buy some planets off people. Diplomacy is your first recourse as a pacifist.

Sure, but the point is that even if all I wanted to do was destabilize the enemy empire, and not expand my own territory, even that goal isn't really being accomplished if within a couple years of my winning the war half the systems my enemy lost have just defected back to them, leaving a dumb divided two-system rump state left over instead of the relatively solid contiguous four-system empire I actually liberated. Forget about me being a pacifist or wanting to expand via liberation and vassalization, it still doesn't make sense that before the truce has even expired the losing empire has randomly won back two of the systems they lost, presumably because of the differing ethics of those systems' populations and the newly-liberated government leading to powerful independence/join other empire factions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*shrug* as I said that seems like a pretty sensible consequence to me? It's unpredictable. Personally I've never really had a problem with liberated empires defecting back to their former owners. But I don't really see why it needs to be predictable in either case.

A liberation war allows you a good chance of building an ally, albeit a small one, though small empires punch above their weight I should note. It lets you gently caress up the enemy infrastructure by taking out their mining bases and ports, and it lets you take key worlds away by picking your goals well. And it does all of that with zero long term commitment unlike annexation. That's plenty useful. It doesn't need to be perfectly reliable as well. Random weird diplomatic poo poo happening is half the fun of the game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 25, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Passively ordering an attack will also make them attack mining stations in 1.8.1, so yeah it's kind of a bug, but you can workaround it by changing stance.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the way it works is that it just stops your fleet from being able to engage because it's a bit of a hacky solution, otherwise if you got into range they'd start shooting.

I agree that it's not intuitive.

Well, know that I know that I have to workaround this bug, it works. In a way. It's too late for this run, though:

My Machine Empire is slowly buckling under the stress of fighting half the galaxy. The Deathbringers (Fanatical Purifiers) and the Order (Zealots) teamed up together with the tiny dark blue speck of even more zealots in the middle between them to beat up the blue guys with horns as their flag (Democratic Birds) and us.

For a while it wasn't bad, since everyone concentrated on my poor dumb allies. Now nearly all of their planets are occupied and my largest fleet got trapped and destroyed in Deathbringer-space. All enemy fleets together are about 30k strength against our side's combined about 2k strength.

The Citizen Union of Ar Raydah will be literally obliterated even if I can somehow bow out of this, since they'll lose all their worlds minus one -some sad backwater their enemies couldn't reach because it's too deep inside my machine empire. Poor birds. Looks like Space America will soon fall to the Space Nazis.

The only way to salvage this run would be to give all my allies' planets to their rivals, who will enslave and purge them. This way I can prevent the Deathbringers, who would only purge them, from getting even stronger and then hopefully concentrate on those assholes until they're all gone. Or I could try giving all their planets to the Deathbringers, because that would make them suddenly bordering the other assholes, and drag them into wars with them. Of course with the added risk of the purifiers potentially winning those wars.

Man, this is like a decision between poo poo and piss. The only reason I'm not giving up immediately is the fact that zealots and purifiers hate each other so much they're unwilling to work together: They both have their separate wars against us. Ah, gently caress it I'm taking the piss and give all my allies' worlds to the dictatorships, just to see the Deathbringer's faces when the planets they occupy suddenly belong to an empire allied with a galactic superpower.

Do you want to know the funniest thing about this? My allies started this galactic war.

Edit:

Ah ha ha ha :suicide:

I can't even surrender for some reason, now I get to watch as my allies and me get slowly eviscerated

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Oh neat, my 34 mineral Arrakis system turned out to be infested by alien hives. Figures.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Oh neat, my 34 mineral Arrakis system turned out to be infested by alien hives. Figures.

*Someone* didn't read the event popup when entering the system.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I think if the placement is good you can drop a couple of stations in there to kill the when they spawn. Probably only useful if it's a chokepoint system though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wiz posted:

*Someone* didn't read the event popup when entering the system.

I hosed up :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So the galaxy feels very empty now. Hyperlanes used to be fun because entire areas of the map would be blocked off by monsters and other horrors. It was like the map was "gated" and it gave something to do. Your fleet got to 1200 power so you can safely take on that 800 power monster that's been blocking all westward exploration. Later you take out that 2000 power fleet, then one day deal with that Drake.

The galaxy is empty and safe now. "monsters" seem extremely rare and I can access/explore the galaxy very quickly with no roadblocks. We got a slider for minor species, would be nice to have a slider for this so you can crank it up and have a very hostile and dangerous galaxy you need to fight to explore.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Welp, now the fanatical purifiers have won their war and started to kill my allies on their newly aquired worlds. And now the remaining neutral powers suddenly want to be friends with us! A bit late, buddies!

At least my machines only lost a lot of time and minerals in this foolish defense of organic idiots. A lot

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Now that we've seen Borg-style machine empires I'd love to see an organic hivemind that starts out able to assimilate conquered pops. It would be great for playing brain slugs or sapient viruses or whatever.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

rex monday posted:

Now that we've seen Borg-style machine empires I'd love to see an organic hivemind that starts out able to assimilate conquered pops. It would be great for playing brain slugs or sapient viruses or whatever.
I just want a Psionic Gestalt Consciousness.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

rex monday posted:

I feel like hiveminds could use a full fledged story pack like robots, with swarm/hive portraits and various other enhancements.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fintilgin posted:

I feel like hiveminds could use a full fledged story pack like robots, with swarm/hive portraits and various other enhancements.

One, Hive Minds need to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Hive Minds are not on screen, all the other empires should be asking "Where's the Hive Minds"?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

The patch added I think a 20 year cooldown from liberation wars before the new state will accept vassalization.
It should be a year or two lower for the person who liberated them. Gratitude and all (and getting rid of the click-before-an-AI-does minigame)

vyelkin posted:

Something to keep in mind when picking planets is that liberating changes the government's ethics, but not the pops' ethics. If you're fighting a materialist/warlike empire the planet of mainly materialist pops wil react better to their new peaceful/egalitarian status than the planet full of militarists.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

rex monday posted:

Just pointing out there was at least one brain slug portrait when the game released. First time I saw them they were terrible slavers and my mortal enemies.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fintilgin posted:

Devouring Swarm, Brain Bugs and Brain Trees (hive minded trees whose pops exert bonuses to non hive minded pops adjacent to them, so like Avatar I guess) would cover all the general hive mind types out there. Then open up Psionic to hiveminds cause they got the biggest brain of all. And bioships at the same time of course.

Also the suggestion that machine minds get a special Biological Ascension project to become organic is really good.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
There are two Fungoid portraits that seem to feature some creature that was taken over by mushrooms (this one and this one) but other a bit of flavour there's no functional difference to other races.

Personally, if I came across something like this in space I'd leave no part of their planets and ships left as anything but charcoal but hey different people have different tastes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Psychotic Weasel posted:

There are two Fungoid portraits that seem to feature some creature that was taken over by mushrooms (this one and this one) but other a bit of flavour there's no functional difference to other races.

Personally, if I came across something like this in space I'd leave no part of their planets and ships left as anything but charcoal but hey different people have different tastes.

My BFFs in my curret game are the fungoid infested mammals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Just pointing out there was at least one brain slug portrait when the game released. First time I saw them they were terrible slavers and my mortal enemies.

I made those guys the dominant species in a Syncretic Evolution empire where their thralls are the mulloscoids that look suspiciously simliar but without the brain slugs.

• Locked thread