Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
ATC will make you climb or cancel (I think). If you're VFR FF on a victor route they'll advise you to climb.

Just file 7000. Direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Fair enough, I'll just do that. Thanks for the input, guys.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'd love to hear input from a controller that actually deals with MEAs and such. MEAs in ZMA airspace are ENTIRELY 3000ft, and the MVA is between 2 and 3k, mostly (98%) 2. :v:

My partially-educated-but-probably-wrong thought would be if you filed SLK direct RIGID, you'd avoid the MEA requirement for the airway, since you're then RNAV, instead of of radio nav.

:shrug:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Op update please

Just passed my MEI ride!

Done. Congrats!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Our chief flight instructor and flight training manager, who seemed content to run the flight school and instruct until retirement (and had done so for 10 years at least), abruptly hosed off for the airlines.

I had a promotion pending which was dependent on her staying. I would've moved from the office to the airport. :suicide:

e- gently caress, I forgot she was going to try and get me a raise over my current job, too. Higher hourly pay with a few less hours worked (net result would've been I'd have made more) and infinite remote work ability. :negative:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 18, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm still waiting on my part 91 pay raise I asked for in July. The plane went down for Mx for a month immediately after I asked. Now management doesn't want to ask for more money for my raise because the owner hasn't had his plane.

I get what they're getting at, but still come on. None of that was my fault, the plane is back and my raise would be a drop in a bucket compared to the money they push around.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Anyone happen to know how ultralight regulations work when you already have a pilot cert? Do they change at all?

I was watching videos of someone flying a paramotor today, and I was wondering if I had a radio and put proper lighting on it, are you then allowed to fly over congested areas, into ATC controlled airspaces, etc?

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
An ultralight can fly into controlled airspace with prior authorization from the controllers but you are always restricted to sunrise-sunset according to 103.11(a). Your license has no affect on the limitations on Ultralight flying. The FAA AC 103-7 is a pretty good reference for the requirements of part 103 flight.

I'm pretty sure you have to build an experimental if light aircraft if you want to remove some of the limitations of Ultralight flying.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

freezepops posted:

An ultralight can fly into controlled airspace with prior authorization from the controllers but you are always restricted to sunrise-sunset according to 103.11(a). Your license has no affect on the limitations on Ultralight flying. The FAA AC 103-7 is a pretty good reference for the requirements of part 103 flight.

I'm pretty sure you have to build an experimental if light aircraft if you want to remove some of the limitations of Ultralight flying.

Thanks for that. I'm not really looking to get around any regulations, I was just curious on if there was any effect from having a license since I couldn't find any info about it.

Anyone around here done a paramotor before? They look incredibly fun, especially with how low you can fly. I imagine they don't do well with crosswind or turbulence though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Nuggan posted:

Thanks for that. I'm not really looking to get around any regulations, I was just curious on if there was any effect from having a license since I couldn't find any info about it.

Anyone around here done a paramotor before? They look incredibly fun, especially with how low you can fly. I imagine they don't do well with crosswind or turbulence though.

At the speeds they fly at, there's no such thing as crosswind. You just fly "into the wind"

The FliteTest people have done a bunch of stuff with paramotors. Hop on youtube and look up FliteTest and PPG.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
320 passed for another year - shame I haven't flown it since January and am not rostered to fly it for at least another 2 months :rant: back to the 330 I go

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Update the list, I just passed my multi-engine ride!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Pics of your enlarged quads on your right leg?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Pics of your enlarged quads on your right leg?

I did the rating in a Seneca, so I had counter-rotating props and thus no critical engine. Thank god for the small things -- at least I got both legs worked evenly.

It's a really goddamn nice plane, extremely well-mannered and easy to control. I think all of the three flight schools at my home airport are using them exclusively for twin training now, after the lovely incident with the awful, lovely Tecnam piece of Italian trash.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Deets on the tecnam incident? Sounds like fun.

That plane looks really good on paper but just kinda sucks in the real world.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Deets on the tecnam incident? Sounds like fun.

That plane looks really good on paper but just kinda sucks in the real world.

An idiot bought a plane with a SESC of 3000 ft. for a flight school based at 4000 ft. and then one crashed and people died. The report hasn't been released but I'm willing to bet it involved an adventure below Vmc with simulated engine failure, followed by a spin which may have been unrecoverable. Two instructors on board at the time.

Later, we found out all the CFIs around told them what a poor plane they were buying, and some flight test examiners refused to do checkrides on them even before the crash.

I totally get the appeal of a twin trainer that sips avgas, rather than burning 18-20 gph, but it turns out that when you optimise for efficiency alone, you get a poo poo plane.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Congrats PT6A.

I'm curious, can you give a brief outline of the Oral and Practical? I'd like to see the Canadian version of these rides.

Did you have to have a certain amount of hours before you could take the ride, for example?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Congrats PT6A.

I'm curious, can you give a brief outline of the Oral and Practical? I'd like to see the Canadian version of these rides.

Did you have to have a certain amount of hours before you could take the ride, for example?

Thanks!

There are no minimum hours, you just need a recommendation from an instructor. Most people do the flight test with around 10 hours. Myself, I had 10.8.

The ground portion was fairly simple. You had to demonstrate that you could calculate weight and balance, fuel requirements, ASD, single engine service ceiling, etc. Then he asked some questions about multi-engine-specific theory (critical engines, Vmc, effects of forward vs. rear loading with one engine inoperative, etc.), had me recite the important V-speeds from memory, and asked some systems-related questions about the aircraft. He supervised the walk-around (which is technically an "air item," meaning if you were to fail you are eligible for a partial re-test of that item alone).

The practical portion consisted of a standard circuit and a touch-and-go, followed by general climb/departure procedure. He gave me a simulated engine failure during cruise, then we did the upper air work. We started with maneuvering at reduced airspeeds -- basically slow the aircraft down to 80 KIAS, add in flaps and gear, all while maintaining speed, heading and altitude, including through a 180-degree turn with 30 degrees of bank. From there, without returning to cruise configuration, we did the approach-to-stall in dirty configuration (meaning you recover at the first indication of a stall). Then we did the full stall in clean configuration, followed by recovery to cruise flight. Then we did steep turns, 180 degrees one way, 180 degrees the other way at 45 degrees of bank. Finally, we did simulated engine failure during overshoot (the one exercise I was worst at during training, but pulled off perfectly on the flight test).

On the way back to the airport, he simulated an engine fire, so we set zero thrust on the engine in question after I had simulated securing the engine properly, and flew the circuit and landed on one engine. After we taxied back, he asked a few questions about other emergency situations -- such as gear extension problems, propeller overspeed and something else I can't remember.

The official Transport Canada standard is here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp219-menu-3292.htm

Interestingly, I don't think there's any requirement to have a separate rating in order to instruct the multi-engine rating in Canada -- you just need a multi-engine rating and an instructor rating. That being said, it is our policy (due to insurance requirements, I believe) that instructors must have 50 hours on type to instruct the rating, so at the moment only our CFI can do them. With students that already have the multi-engine rating, an instructor that holds a group 1 instrument rating can instruct the instrument rating in the Seneca without 50 hours on type, I believe.

EDIT: I'd be interested to know how that compares to the US standard. Another difference is that there is no complex aircraft requirement for the CPL in Canada, so this was my (and I'm guessing a lot of students') first exposure to retractable landing gear and constant-speed props.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 24, 2017

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Oh man, I remember my SE/ME commercial ride. I didn't know about it until the examiner walked into the flight school and asked for me (I knew it would be a combined checkride, but didn't know when it was going to be). After confirming with my instructor that it was indeed for today, we were both (the examiner and I) a little pissed. The oral was very casual, we just talked about everything that was supposed to be covered in the oral less of an exam-type discussion and more of a 'let's just talk about this poo poo so I know you know what you're talking about'. I think he talked more than I did, mostly cool flying stories from his career. The flight was very relaxed too. I did the SE stuff in the Cherokee and nailed everything except the engine out landing, he didn't like that I did a forward slip to ensure I made the landing. The ME/complex work in the Seminole was also straight forward, nothing tricky aside from pulling the breaker for the landing gear (which I admittedly saw him pull so the troubleshooting was really only one step). It was truly an enjoyable experience, which I would not say about any other checkride I've had. I just pulled out my logbook and that was 10 years ago in November. Holy poo poo

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

PT6A posted:

Update the list, I just passed my multi-engine ride!

:siren: Congrats!
Done.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

PT6A posted:

I did the rating in a Seneca, so I had counter-rotating props and thus no critical engine. Thank god for the small things -- at least I got both legs worked evenly.

It's a really goddamn nice plane, extremely well-mannered and easy to control. I think all of the three flight schools at my home airport are using them exclusively for twin training now, after the lovely incident with the awful, lovely Tecnam piece of Italian trash.

Oh, so the P2006t has made its way north I see? Agreed on the performance (or lack thereof), I did my ME checkride in one a few years ago. Thankfully most of my twin flying at that point was in a shitbox Cessna 310, so I was used to gremlins and such popping up at the worst time during the checkride.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Anyone know of a reputable place to buy a used Bose A20? I can get a %15 discount on a new one through work but $950 is still kind of a steep price.

And before someone mentions it, I know I can do the uflymike tso thing for less money.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
This evening, the entire pilot group I work with received an email informing us that our chief pilot had been fired, along with emails from management freaking out about an upcoming Seattle Times story about our inability to run an airline, along with a set of "talking points" to tell the public about the current dumpster fire here.

Clearly, a group of very cynical pilots would never dream of telling the public anything except the ridiculous talking points someone in management distributed...

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 28, 2017

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
OP update - ATP ERJ170/190 KLGA !! I guess I'm an airline pilot now!

:toot: :toot: :toot:

Sim ride began with an RTO, backed up to departure end, normal takeoff, radar vectors to join the DP. FMS re-routes. Steep turns. Cargo aft smoke det fail, return to airport. Expect vectors for ILS 5R Cat 2. Missed approach, turning stall in the missed. Procedure turn for RNAV 32, ATC "go around" in the flare. Flap/Slat fail, LOC approach full stop. Back it up to threshold. V1 cut, hand flown single engine ILS to a missed approach, hand flown single engine visual approach.

Actual flying portion was about 1 hr 20 minutes. Wowowowow

:hfive:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

This evening, the entire pilot group I work with received an email informing us that our chief pilot had been fired, along with emails from management freaking out about an upcoming Seattle Times story about our inability to run an airline, along with a set of "talking points" to tell the public about the current dumpster fire here.

Clearly, a group of very cynical pilots would never dream of telling the public anything except the ridiculous talking points someone in management distributed...

Article is up. As far as I can tell it's actually one of the more accurate pilot shortage articles to appear in non aviation specific media: https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/pilot-crisis-has-horizon-air-grappling-with-industrys-new-reality/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

Sim ride began with an RTO, backed up to departure end, normal takeoff, radar vectors to join the DP. FMS re-routes. Steep turns. Cargo aft smoke det fail, return to airport. Expect vectors for ILS 5R Cat 2. Missed approach, turning stall in the missed. Procedure turn for RNAV 32, ATC "go around" in the flare. Flap/Slat fail, LOC approach full stop. Back it up to threshold. V1 cut, hand flown single engine ILS to a missed approach, hand flown single engine visual approach.

Actual flying portion was about 1 hr 20 minutes. Wowowowow

:hfive:

Congrats, that's awesome!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Article is up. As far as I can tell it's actually one of the more accurate pilot shortage articles to appear in non aviation specific media: https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/pilot-crisis-has-horizon-air-grappling-with-industrys-new-reality/

That was exactly what I thought about the article as well.

From what I can tell, the panic is due to Horizon/Alaska management really not wanting to accept responsibility for the disaster they created, and I was very pleased to see that the reporter correctly identified the "10 year contract" management pushed on us as being the thing that directly lead to the current mess at Horizon.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

From what I can tell, the panic is due to Horizon/Alaska management really not wanting to accept responsibility for the disaster they created, and I was very pleased to see that the reporter correctly identified the "10 year contract" management pushed on us as being the thing that directly lead to the current mess at Horizon.

Delta seems to be the only Major that realizes the current regional model is unsustainable and is making changes to it's fleet to accommodate that. Most regionals are throwing wads of money at anyone with a pulse and the requirements to be an FO but they're still treating their current employees like it's the lost decade. Reserve and captain pay at my regional are so bad that most of our senior FOs don't want to bother with the upgrade. The company recently put out a notice saying that if they don't get enough volunteers to upgrade that they're going to have to displace FOs out of the right seat into becoming captains. Despite that, the mainlines are still just chugging along like nothings the matter and their regional feed isn't on the verge of collapse.

I have no idea how the next 5 years are going to go but I'm willing to be it'll be one hell of a ride.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It's a great time to be an up and coming pilot that's for sure. I don't know that the employment landscape has ever looked like this.

Hopefully another 9/11 doesn't happen decimating the industry again.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Isn't the FAA reauthorization act up for vote in the next few days, along with its revised hiring requirements?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

It's a great time to be an up and coming pilot that's for sure. I don't know that the employment landscape has ever looked like this.

Well... that's encouraging. I'm still thinking of getting my instructor rating to get up to 1000-1500 hours, maybe further, but I feel way better than I did when I was choosing between college and a CPL a decade ago.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Dude I've been hearing of people getting right seat at Jazz with 200 hours. I'd just find some gig that'll get you building hours. Instructing is a lot of weird hours and days sitting around hoping your students don't flake again. Last time I asked one of the instructors at my school how the life was treating him he kinda got a dejected look on his face and said 'well, last paycheck I made $300..'.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Dude I've been hearing of people getting right seat at Jazz with 200 hours. I'd just find some gig that'll get you building hours. Instructing is a lot of weird hours and days sitting around hoping your students don't flake again. Last time I asked one of the instructors at my school how the life was treating him he kinda got a dejected look on his face and said 'well, last paycheck I made $300..'.

I may try firing out a few resumes, but I don't believe all the stories I hear just yet.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Instructing for time is all about finding a good school to teach at. If I could go back and instruct to 1500 instead of the 135 job I had flying EAS I'd do it every time. Schools are starting to feel the crunch of the shortage too so you should be able to shop around a bit and find a good one.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rickety Cricket posted:

Very cool, congrats!

KodiakRS posted:

Reserve and captain pay at my regional are so bad that most of our senior FOs don't want to bother with the upgrade. The company recently put out a notice saying that if they don't get enough volunteers to upgrade that they're going to have to displace FOs out of the right seat into becoming captains.

This is honestly the most hosed up thing I have heard about regional airlines and I worked for three back in the 90's. Junior manned into the left seat - what a cocked up situation.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ausgezeichnet posted:

Very cool, congrats!

This is honestly the most hosed up thing I have heard about regional airlines and I worked for three back in the 90's. Junior manned into the left seat - what a cocked up situation.

It's Kafkaesque and scary as gently caress. If someone doesn't feel ready for the upgrade and says no, will they be disciplined for refusing to take it?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

ausgezeichnet posted:

Very cool, congrats!

Does going from Mid/Senior FO to Jr Captain mean a big paycut? My novice understanding of similar payscales was that there would be some overlap at the top FO and lowest captain but apparently not? It's a kick in the dick to have to sit in the left seat, just a massive increase in responsibility but negligible compensation increase?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

Does going from Mid/Senior FO to Jr Captain mean a big paycut? My novice understanding of similar payscales was that there would be some overlap at the top FO and lowest captain but apparently not? It's a kick in the dick to have to sit in the left seat, just a massive increase in responsibility but negligible compensation increase?

Our FOs are getting a retention bonus, and senior FOs can bid for lots of days off then pick up open time at %200. If they upgrade they lose the retention bonus and end up on reserve with 11 days off a month max. Its a n egligible pay increase and a huge decrease in quality of life.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Animal posted:

It's Kafkaesque and scary as gently caress. If someone doesn't feel ready for the upgrade and says no, will they be disciplined for refusing to take it?

I honestly can't believe Sully hasn't hopped on the soapbox about 10 month upgrade captains yet unless somebody told him to STFU about it. This (forced upgrades) would be a valid talking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

10 month upgrade captains

oh my sweet summer child.