Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

I want more info on this.

Dealers are well acquainted with solving rattles so it's pretty silly to not take it in. They will investigate even if they're not able to reproduce.

Oh, the first post with my new Av. thanks

B9 S4, bought (well, leased) it right off the boat.

On the door panels, there's 5 trim pieces that squeak and pop against each other. When you press anywhere here, you can duplicate the sounds.
I don't think it's expansion/contraction of the plastics as it's not dependent on temperature.

This is the worst offender:

The headliner area right by my ear randomly make a shuffling, "potato chip bag" tick noise over random bumps. No rhyme or reason to it.
The intensity/frequency of the bump doesn't matter. Sometimes a mild bump will set it off, sometimes huge jolts do nothing and vice vesra.
I've been pressing all around here while driving to try and quell it but no luck.

There's an old fashion rattle coming from the b pillar trim. Hard to reproduce consistently.

The passenger's seatbelt buckle rattles and bangs against the plastic trim of the bucket seat. I have no idea how this got past QC. A common complaint without a fix, apparently.
Buckling the passenger seatbelt would solve this, but it's still pants on head retarded.

More squeaking from the hard plastic speaker grilles against the soft plastic dash

I reamed the car for rattles on the JD Power survey.
I'll mention all this to the dealer when I take it in for the first service, but I'm not expecting much.

If Genesis is over-engineering their cars like Lexus did in the 90s in hopes of making a name for themselves, I'm more than ready for a G70 in 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's hilarious that Audi owners of all loving people are the ones worried about the longevity of a new Kia.

What if this new Kia doesn't burn a qt of oil every 700 miles like a good honest VAG product? :ohdear:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

It's hilarious that Audi owners of all loving people are the ones worried about the longevity of a new Kia.

What if this new Kia doesn't burn a qt of oil every 700 miles like a good honest VAG product? :ohdear:

They just want you to change it every 3,000 miles. It's never there long enough to get consumed. They want regular Dino-oil too, some of that fancy synthetic stuff.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Throatwarbler posted:

They're convincing themselves that new Kia really isn't better than their superior German driving machine.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Domestic Amuse posted:

They're convincing themselves that new Kia really isn't better than their superior German driving machine.

In terms of the qualitatives it almost certainly isn't, the Germans really have the feel of things down better than almost anyone.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

If your mother in law is in such a poor state when it comes to finances and the cost of tires, how come her son in law (that just picked up a new Jeep, right?) come to her aid? Like gosh I'm privileged as gently caress all things considered, but when my friends and family need assistance I do what I can to help them. Otherwise we can play the bootstraps game and try to decide on what side we are each on when it comes to your family member barely scrapping by out in the middle of nowhere. You don't exactly paint a nice picture of her life after all, and I'd be curious who's feet you'd lay the fault at.

God I couldn't even keep track of how much bailing out she gets between my wife and I and my wife's other sisters. My wife and I have been together for several decades now and she still treats me like we've just started dating and any day now my wife is going to wise up and find someone better (I don't know how much of that is her not liking me personally, how much is due to the race thing (though she is a raging liberal so... probably a lot, they tend to be the most racist in my experience), how much is just because I married her oldest daughter, etc.) so most of my care for her state is because I care about my wife and her sisters vs how much I actually care about her.

She'd probably be a lot better off if she lived somewhere more reasonable on taxes on top of still having the tail end of a mortgage, I think they've been in that house for 22-23 years now, and the taxes alone are almost $6k a year on top of mortgage payments. They're putting it up on the market soon to move somewhere warmer, as people of their age do, so things should be looking better for them in a year or two. Assuming they don't immediately turn around and buy an old house in the middle of nowhere that still has sky high taxes despite having almost no town services due to how far from town they are... Where they are now, once you get to their town from the main highway you drive to the other end of town, out the road into the sticks, and keep going for another 15-20 minutes before you eventually twist and turn and find yourself there. I hate visiting them just because of how far beyond a reasonable drive it feels like due to that (But I do it anyway because family)

My wife's middle sister makes more than my wife and I combined and has made comments in the past about how much more financially stable she'd be if she weren't supporting her mother so I imagine there is a lot of squandering going on, though they're both retired and living off SS/pensions so their base income before the help they get is probably not that great anyhow. They both just stopped smoking/murdering cases of beer a night on the regular a year or two ago so I know their budget wasn't exactly streamlined before. The topic could sustain an E/N thread reasonably well.

Also as far as "just picked up a new Jeep" I bought a last year's base model leftover Renegade that I financed out to six years so I could afford a ~$200/mo payment on it after putting a bit of cash down, I didn't exactly splurge out on a Trackhawk Grand Cherokee here. (You could probably argue a six year loan is my dumbest financial decision and I wouldn't fight you too hard on it, but I'm at about 15 or 16 years of ownership on my XJ so if I get 8-9 out of this Renegade before it starts sucking parts down like the XJ does when it gets daily driven I'll consider it a win)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So back on the topic of cars, I'm giving this its own reply to separate it from the last post:

This is probably more appropriate for Post Your Own Ride, or the Jeep thread or something, but it's a new car so I'll put it here because I'm actually a bit excited about it - I just filled up my first tank in my new Renegade, and it was kind of an interesting tank. I started off highway driving home from the dealership, taking it easy I topped out about 38MPG with a lot of downhills. Getting into the city and some annoying traffic patterns, at about 50 miles on the tank it dipped to 31MPG, back up to about 32 for some more highway driving, and settled out to about 29 by the end of the tank of mixed driving.

Even having to use premium due to the turbo that comes out to so much less in gas than for the 16mpg my XJ was getting with over 200k miles on it, for about the same feel in power as the 4.0 on the highway (And the extreme increase in comfort and drop in road noise, and quality of life in general that comes with several decades' difference in vehicle age). I think the fuel costs alone might make up most of the cost of financing new versus daily driving the XJ before long. Hell, I might even consider selling the XJ (probably not, it's my big dumb baby even if it's as common as a cold) and getting winter wheels and tires for it instead of putting the XJ on winter duty and parking the Renegade for the winter (Yes, I have winter wheels and tires for my vehicles other than the Renegade so far, back on the previous chat for a moment)

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think CA's bi-annual emissions inspections keep the average car in better shape than safety inspections but I'd definitely prefer both.

Yeah, in Texas emissions is a county by county thing, if you live in a city you have a yearly safety and emissions inspection otherwise just the safety inspection.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I was shocked when I moved states and didn't have to have any sort of inspection. What is this nonsense?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

smooth jazz posted:

On the door panels, there's 5 trim pieces that squeak and pop against each other. When you press anywhere here, you can duplicate the sounds.
I don't think it's expansion/contraction of the plastics as it's not dependent on temperature.

The headliner area right by my ear randomly make a shuffling, "potato chip bag" tick noise over random bumps. No rhyme or reason to it.
The intensity/frequency of the bump doesn't matter. Sometimes a mild bump will set it off, sometimes huge jolts do nothing and vice vesra.
I've been pressing all around here while driving to try and quell it but no luck.

There's an old fashion rattle coming from the b pillar trim. Hard to reproduce consistently.

The passenger's seatbelt buckle rattles and bangs against the plastic trim of the bucket seat. I have no idea how this got past QC. A common complaint without a fix, apparently.
Buckling the passenger seatbelt would solve this, but it's still pants on head retarded.

More squeaking from the hard plastic speaker grilles against the soft plastic dash

I'll mention all this to the dealer when I take it in for the first service, but I'm not expecting much.

If Genesis is over-engineering their cars like Lexus did in the 90s in hopes of making a name for themselves, I'm more than ready for a G70 in 3 years.

You really should have read his new avatar before actually responding :haw:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
There's absolutely zero inspections where I live in Illinois. I could run a test pipe with broken suspension components and missing headlights and poo poo and nobody could stop me!!!!!

In completely unrelated news my dad had a flying tire bounce into his car and put a dent in the quarter panel a few months ago- old Wrangler turned right at an intersection he was waiting to turn left at and just lost a fuckin tire in the process. There were apparently two lugs holding the drat thing on and they finally let go and sheared off lol. Been noticing cars in parking lots and other places missing lugs on a regular basis

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

smooth jazz posted:

That blows, my B8 S4 had zero rattles after 4 years and 60k miles.

For the rattling seat belt try putting a self-adhesive square of the loop side of velcro on the seat where it rubs. My S4 had a minor rattle from how the latch was positioned between the seat and console that was completely solved with the velcro and while your problem is a bit tougher it might help v0v

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Yeah my reliable B8.5 has almost 70k and 5 years, no rattles.

I think the dealer will be able to take care of those when you take it in, I can think of a fix for most things except the seatbelt whacking the plastic trim. They'll end up taking off trim pieces carefully and taping on some rubbery or foamy anti-rattle material. Not sure why the hell that should be necessary on a $50k car :( Stupid VAG

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

God I couldn't even keep track of how much bailing out she gets between my wife and I and my wife's other sisters. My wife and I have been together for several decades now and she still treats me like we've just started dating and any day now my wife is going to wise up and find someone better (I don't know how much of that is her not liking me personally, how much is due to the race thing (though she is a raging liberal so... probably a lot, they tend to be the most racist in my experience), how much is just because I married her oldest daughter, etc.) so most of my care for her state is because I care about my wife and her sisters vs how much I actually care about her.

She'd probably be a lot better off if she lived somewhere more reasonable on taxes on top of still having the tail end of a mortgage, I think they've been in that house for 22-23 years now, and the taxes alone are almost $6k a year on top of mortgage payments. They're putting it up on the market soon to move somewhere warmer, as people of their age do, so things should be looking better for them in a year or two. Assuming they don't immediately turn around and buy an old house in the middle of nowhere that still has sky high taxes despite having almost no town services due to how far from town they are... Where they are now, once you get to their town from the main highway you drive to the other end of town, out the road into the sticks, and keep going for another 15-20 minutes before you eventually twist and turn and find yourself there. I hate visiting them just because of how far beyond a reasonable drive it feels like due to that (But I do it anyway because family)

My wife's middle sister makes more than my wife and I combined and has made comments in the past about how much more financially stable she'd be if she weren't supporting her mother so I imagine there is a lot of squandering going on, though they're both retired and living off SS/pensions so their base income before the help they get is probably not that great anyhow. They both just stopped smoking/murdering cases of beer a night on the regular a year or two ago so I know their budget wasn't exactly streamlined before. The topic could sustain an E/N thread reasonably well.

Also as far as "just picked up a new Jeep" I bought a last year's base model leftover Renegade that I financed out to six years so I could afford a ~$200/mo payment on it after putting a bit of cash down, I didn't exactly splurge out on a Trackhawk Grand Cherokee here. (You could probably argue a six year loan is my dumbest financial decision and I wouldn't fight you too hard on it, but I'm at about 15 or 16 years of ownership on my XJ so if I get 8-9 out of this Renegade before it starts sucking parts down like the XJ does when it gets daily driven I'll consider it a win)

Ok grampa

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Go outside and pick a switch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
time for some of you people to join the thousand plus 'people who have PCOS on ignore list' club

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BraveUlysses posted:

time for some of you people to join the thousand plus 'people who have PCOS on ignore list' club

And quit quoting him

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I never had any rattle or squeak issues on either my Q5 or B8.5 S4. Both cars felt very solid. I don't doubt that there are some bad Audi ownership experiences out there, but I never had any issues with either of mine.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I want to like the G70 but it reminds me too much of the Q50 which to me is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

BraveUlysses posted:

I never will. I am seriously interested in why some people are antagonistic pricks everywhere else in other subforums, but not in AI.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fo3 posted:

I never will. I am seriously interested in why some people are antagonistic pricks everywhere else in other subforums, but not in AI.

lol

he's fuckin dumb here too

it's his entire persona

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fo3 posted:

Because if you want to go be assholes about and while talking about cars you could go to literally any other car forum.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
PCOS Bill is not a new car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
One of the big downsides of the improvement of fit and finish is that poo poo is so much more likely to rub and squeak. I had this problem with my 128 and now with my Focus ST. The interiors have such better tolerances that it's hard for things to stay tight without rubbing.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How does Mercedes compared to Audis offerings lately? Is the C43 any better than the S4? What about the C63?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kraftwerk posted:

How does Mercedes compared to Audis offerings lately? Is the C43 any better than the S4? What about the C63?

Seeing this post really confirms that German model numbers are some of the most boring poo poo on the planet. :(

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I laughed when both mazda and bmw launched the 323 in the 80s. E: actually I think the mazda was 1978 and the bmw 1979, but it had an 'i' so

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 25, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Depending on market I think both the Mazda 323 and E21 323 were sold concurrently.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We (North America) only recieved the 320i, however.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The Volvo 850 and BMW 850i were also sold concurrently, and couldn't have been more different vehicles.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Monkey Fracas posted:

There's absolutely zero inspections where I live in Illinois. I could run a test pipe with broken suspension components and missing headlights and poo poo and nobody could stop me!!!!!

In completely unrelated news my dad had a flying tire bounce into his car and put a dent in the quarter panel a few months ago- old Wrangler turned right at an intersection he was waiting to turn left at and just lost a fuckin tire in the process. There were apparently two lugs holding the drat thing on and they finally let go and sheared off lol. Been noticing cars in parking lots and other places missing lugs on a regular basis

I’m always impressed by just how many abandoned cars there are on the highway/roads in Kentucky whenever I visit. It’s noticeable within a 10 minute radius of downtown Louisville and becomes ridiculous the further out you go.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So what you're saying is you can go junkyarding by driving down the highway in kentucky?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Cop Porn Popper posted:

So what you're saying is you can go junkyarding by driving down the highway in kentucky?

please stop referring to dating in Kentucky as 'junkyarding' you goddamn goons

Why isn't Mazda moving HCCI to mass production a bigger deal for car enthusiasts? I don't understand how this isn't the biggest deal in combustion engines in a decade or more.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's not supposed to come out until 2019 in the Mazda 3 and we still don't have solid info on the diesel CX-5 that's supposed to be coming out before the end of the year. I'm sure there'll be more hype once it proves to be neither vaporware nor a trainwreck.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MarsellusWallace posted:

Why isn't Mazda moving HCCI to mass production a bigger deal for car enthusiasts? I don't understand how this isn't the biggest deal in combustion engines in a decade or more.

It isn't a performance thing and while 30% economy improvement sounds impressive it's still not going to match hybrids or EVs (especially when that 30% is a best case)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wheeee posted:

In terms of the qualitatives it almost certainly isn't, the Germans really have the feel of things down better than almost anyone.

Solution: hire a bunch of Germans, then have them train your own engineers

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I don't know if I'd say it's not a performance thing. The 2.0 Skyactiv-X is supposed to be rated at 184hp and 170 lb-ft, that almost matches the current 2.5. So in theory a 2.5 version could be reasonably stout.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
It's also not really HCCI :colbert:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
[quote="“MonkeyNutZ”" post="“476768270”"]
It’s also not really HCCI :colbert:
[/quote]

Does it matter? It turns out that no one can make HCCI work because the emissions are terrible, and Mazda's precombustion ignition is similar to the turbulent jet ignition that Mahle invented for Ferrari in F1 which is why their engines there are at 47% thermal efficiency.

It's like when nerds get angry because under a handful of edge cases the Volt's engine will actually send torque to the wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

MarsellusWallace posted:

Big oil killed it!