Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/25/apple-switches-from-bing-to-google-for-siri-web-search-results-on-ios-and-spotlight-on-mac/ rip bing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Lutha Mahtin posted:

e: also the general move towards huge padding all over every os element :barf:
i don't think we're as bad as windows 10 yet but we're sure getting there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/25/iphone-8-plus-owners-static-sound-calls/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GM4Lt5k24s

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

lol if you use a phone to call people

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

here's the write up on this https://www.synack.com/2017/09/08/high-sierras-secure-kernel-extension-loading-is-broken/

tldr: it's a new security feature that's not very good but also not a huge deal provided you don't install weird apps from internet forums

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I was on the phone for an hour with Apple support. when I sent in the 6s for the free battery replacement they found some sort of display problem so they wanted me to fork out $195 + tax to fix that first. the pictures they sent showed what was maybe a very slight light looking smudge in the corner of a white screen

I said it was fine when I sent it out and never had any event or damage in that part of the screen or noticed any defect so just send it back unrepaired. I would rather wait until the screen is actually broken and I still have a year left in this return program anyway

I must've been nice because the lady said she'd take my side and request them to cover the screen replacement for free as a one time thing. either way I guess I'm ok with how this turned out though I'd rather not have had an hour long phone call about it

ufarn
May 30, 2009
bing is still used by alexa (by another company without its own web-side search engine), which makes me assume that the homepod will be using google now, too

wonder how that's going to be squared with apple's commitment to privacy non-creepy virtual assistants

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Weed Sierra Trip Report: Broke the poo poo out of my AD auth for my standard user account with all my data on it. Have to log in with my local admin and turned on one drive to replicate back in all files and stuff I need. Huge pain in the rear end.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
tsk tsk using Microsoft garbage on an Apple device

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Weed Sierra Trip Report: Broke the poo poo out of my AD auth for my standard user account with all my data on it. Have to log in with my local admin and turned on one drive to replicate back in all files and stuff I need. Huge pain in the rear end.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I am not very concerned with compatibility on the Strange Edge Case Software I use such as Office and Terminal

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Doc Block posted:

tsk tsk using Microsoft garbage on an Apple device

alas I know, but such is my job

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I think I just need to manually purge the profile and set it back up since the binding to AD still seems good but the preferences thing hangs and I've been too lazy to look up how to do it in terminal

e: purging account and backing up folder doesn't seem to do it. logon screen now says network logon is unavailable which is new since user account preferences says AD is online and communicating. Might just need a re-bind.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 26, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I'm doing a clean install from usb boot disk of :2bong: sierra and it is going well so far

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
never update your dev machine until at least .1, as you are now learning

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

here's the write up on this https://www.synack.com/2017/09/08/high-sierras-secure-kernel-extension-loading-is-broken/

tldr: it's a new security feature that's not very good but also not a huge deal provided you don't install weird apps from internet forums

kinda feel still tho like the keychain should be more protected than this??

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Phoenixan posted:

i don't think we're as bad as windows 10 yet but we're sure getting there

some of the apps are just gross. like im glad they expanded the old "icloud drive" app into the new Files app, it's nice to have more features there since i actually use it quite a bit already. but im less thrilled that their idea of how to improve the UI was "add an unmovable side pane that takes up 2 entire inches in landscape mode and smoosh the existing UI into the space that's left". it's worse when you consider that safari conquered this conundrum (and did it, i assume, ages ago) by putting a toggle button on the top UI bar that opens the favorites/etc menu. such revolutionary, wow. the os settings app (i think) has a wider side pane now too, which is also annoying, but it's not quite as bad as the files app

e: i know this isn't a totally fair comparison since i only use ios on a 10" tablet, but at least for phone sized UI even android hasn't gotten this bad yet

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

iOS 11 definitely has some weirdness to it, i think more so than previous versions.

did they increase the font weights again? not necessarily bad just kind of funny how they've been slowly paring poo poo back from how it was in iOS 7. right now though i think i'd describe the overall appearance as "haphazardly bold".

lockscreen music controls suck, feeling iffy about the new control center, really not fond of the multi-tasking/control center combo crap on the ipad, and i dont know how the gently caress anyone is supposed to figure out the multitasking poo poo on an ipad without instructions

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i don't like the tiny music controls in swipe-up as i have hit skip forward/back more htan once when trying to pause

prob better with the "3d touch" or w.e on the newerp hones

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

SO DEMANDING posted:

iOS 11 definitely has some weirdness to it, i think more so than previous versions.

did they increase the font weights again? not necessarily bad just kind of funny how they've been slowly paring poo poo back from how it was in iOS 7. right now though i think i'd describe the overall appearance as "haphazardly bold".

lockscreen music controls suck, feeling iffy about the new control center, really not fond of the multi-tasking/control center combo crap on the ipad, and i dont know how the gently caress anyone is supposed to figure out the multitasking poo poo on an ipad without instructions

yeah, they've been increasing the font weights and adding button outlines back. apparently jony has been too busy designing the spaceship with no regard for how buildings are actually designed or constructed to worry about iOS.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

wow, this is a lot sillier than I thought it would be. basically if you can load a kext you can own the system. like you always could. a new security feature that adds extra lockdown doesn't work as intended.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
iOS 7 was a depressing stark white field with sickeningly thin fonts and pointless blur effect. it was really bad. they've been walking back the design to something not awful for a while now. dumping helvetica neue light and transitioning to San Francisco was a big step.

iOS 10 looked great. in 11 it looks like they overdid it a bit, particularly with the silly huge labels.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

step 1: get root

🤔

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

iOS 7 was a depressing stark white field with sickeningly thin fonts and pointless blur effect. it was really bad. they've been walking back the design to something not awful for a while now. dumping helvetica neue light and transitioning to San Francisco was a big step.

iOS 10 looked great. in 11 it looks like they overdid it a bit, particularly with the silly huge labels.

iOS 11 design philosophy seems to be basically "Make the whole thing look like Apple Music!"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

theres no way to get rid of this stupid bar at the bottom is there

This but also how do I get yelp and bs like that out. All I want is awful stickers

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

This but the purple devil head should mimic your face with the 3d camera

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

[quote="“Lutha Mahtin”" post="“476763611”"]
some of the apps are just gross. like im glad they expanded the old “icloud drive” app into the new Files app, it’s nice to have more features there since i actually use it quite a bit already. but im less thrilled that their idea of how to improve the UI was “add an unmovable side pane that takes up 2 entire inches in landscape mode and smoosh the existing UI into the space that’s left”. it’s worse when you consider that safari conquered this conundrum (and did it, i assume, ages ago) by putting a toggle button on the top UI bar that opens the favorites/etc menu. such revolutionary, wow. the os settings app (i think) has a wider side pane now too, which is also annoying, but it’s not quite as bad as the files app

e: i know this isn’t a totally fair comparison since i only use ios on a 10” tablet, but at least for phone sized UI even android hasn’t gotten this bad yet
[/quote]

that's because iOS is ahead of Android :agesilaus:

but seriously, if I go into a files folder on iOS, I can't have long titles on things

I just get "12 importa...cepts"

It's sort of important to be able to read a file's full title

conclusion: iOS file managing is poo poo

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

that's because iOS is ahead of Android :agesilaus:

but seriously, if I go into a files folder on iOS, I can't have long titles on things

I just get "12 importa...cepts"

It's sort of important to be able to read a file's full title

conclusion: iOS file managing is poo poo

things you shouldn't have to worry about on a phone: the file system

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

[quote="“Just-In-Timeberlake”" post="“476767469”"]
things you shouldn’t have to worry about on a phone: the file system
[/quote]

how about a tablet 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Hed posted:

This but also how do I get yelp and bs like that out. All I want is awful stickers

Messages is becoming the Win95 system tray

SO DEMANDING posted:

yeah, the line widths on some of the icons are also wider. ios11 is thicc

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
with the Files app and multitasking I feel like I'm fighting the OS significantly less when I'm using my iPad Pro Mini. When I have someone who's clutching a 2007 MacBook still and are looking to finally replace it, i pretty much say "does using a computer scare you in general? If so, you should buy an iPad and a keyboard. The chances of you getting startled by a dialog box are significantly less common."

Flipping between the app that I'm using on one side of the split screen still feels real janky tho.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

things you shouldn't have to worry about on a phone: the file system

things which is handy, being able to access the poo poo i have on icloud drive

"hey man can you email that thing to me"

"why yes - yes i can"

is now a thing you can do from your phone

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

my ex gf and then close friend loved doing sudoku Puzzles, she carried a little book around and filled in the numbers while riding the bus or slow times at work, or even while we were chilling at my house. she was tough and quirky but I always thought that was adorable.

she got cancer though, and died pretty fast after it was diagnosed, maybe 8 months from official diagnosis. too young, 32. died one day before her birthday.

I really miss her. I hope you're in a better place, M, there will never be anyone like you in my life again

lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

echinopsis posted:

things which is handy, being able to access the poo poo i have on icloud drive

"hey man can you email that thing to me"

"why yes - yes i can"

is now a thing you can do from your phone

imagine that :allears:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

should we upgrade my wife's mid-2010 13" mbp to weed mountain OS?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

should we upgrade my wife's mid-2010 13" mbp to weed mountain OS?

what's the spec

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hed posted:

scroll all the way to the right, hit more, then edit and turn off everything you don't want

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what's the spec

actually I screwed up the year.

late-2011 with 2.8GHz i7, 4GB ram, and an SSD.

runs El Capitan just fine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

actually I screwed up the year.

late-2011 with 2.8GHz i7, 4GB ram, and an SSD.

runs El Capitan just fine.

make a timecapsule backup and roll with it, i say. should be a bit snappier after the upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
is it the one that still has an optical drive?

• Locked thread