Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

RIP drilpencils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I thank God every day that I didn't have the talent or drive to be an artist. Working for the man is pretty great, really.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I thank God every day that I didn't have the talent or drive to be an artist. Working for the man is pretty great, really.

I've been an artist for a living and if you have the option to hold down an office job and do that poo poo as a hobby instead of what you rely on to stay alive, and don't, you're completely out of your loving mind

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 26, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Zenpencils is good and very inspirational.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You're trying way too hard these days, B.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Liking webcomics in the webcomics thread "for liking webcomics in" is trying too hard.

Zenpencils is adorable to read. Zenpencils provides a lot of inspiration with its example, even if it's to do otherwise.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Personally, I'm relived to discover I'm not the only one who takes out trash in the nude

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Inspirational poems and art about MURDRE YOURE BULLYS

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you are passionate and driven individual you are betraying everything you stand for by not leaving your family and job to live in the woods and full time cosplay as Jon Snow

Cuazl
Mar 19, 2009
Zen Pencils has an remarkable dedication to its message, and that message is "gently caress you, dad, this is a real job!"

It's the ongoing story of a man determined to prove that he has made the best possible life choices, and failing to convince even himself. It'd be poetic if it was any good.

Here's a good webcomic, instead:
Erma: What if Sadako from The Ring grew up and had an adorable nightmare ghost daughter? Charming slice-of-unlife strip about a quiet kid going to school and making friends. Start here and scroll down.

Better known and maybe not as good, but surprised these weren't in the OP, so here you go:
Schlock Mercenary: Space opera starring a mercenary company who keep bumbling into galaxy-changing secrets, and occasionally surviving. Exhibit A in the argument that reliable output makes up for flawed art and pacing - updated every day for over 18 years.
Freefall: Florence is an experimental AI, an aerospace engineer, and a good dog. She is stolen by Sam Starfall, the only alien humanity has met - a squid in an environment suit whose people consider petty theft and being a public nuisance to be heroic virtues. Notable in that despite being a webcomic starring a dog lady written by a furry, it's a relatively sensible comedic hard-ish sci-fi story that's mostly about robots. No, I don't know either.
Skin Horse: Skin Horse is a secret US Government agency tasked with the welfare of sentient beings created by mad scientists. They're not very good at their jobs. By the same authors as...
Narbonic: A programmer gets a job working for a mad scientist. He is surprisingly good at his job. Finished. Now with wordy commentary you can turn off.
Prague Race: Some young idiots buy a poster from a dodgy shop. This turns out to be a questionable decision. Urban fantasy, somewhat Finnish.

Also OP please put this beautiful work of art right at the top of the OP, thanks.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding likpas.

Likpas - charming French social satire.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Cuazl posted:

Narbonic: A programmer gets a job working for a mad scientist. He is surprisingly good at his job. Finished. Now with wordy commentary you can turn off.

It's also got a kickstarter going right now to print some books:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/250007708/narbonic-the-perfect-collection-reprint

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's no link to Sonic and friends get trolled thread in the OP.

My webcomic is a ode to identity and masculinity, and a commentary on the very medium itself.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 5, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
that's quite powerful but have you considered making a flash animation

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

the old ceremony posted:

that's quite powerful but have you considered making a flash animation
I'll only read a webcomic if a catgirl cries at least once a page

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Somebody mentioned Unsounded a page or two back. I wished to share my opinion of it.

Unsounded is a webcomic where the story is designed for the artist to have fun writing it, often at the expense of the reader having fun reading it. It is pretty, however.

Thank you for reading this post.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Goodbye to Halos! is a good web comic and Monsterkind and its derivatives are loving trash.

I love webclevins.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

clevcomics

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i like this comic

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I liked that comic when it was beginning, but it lost me somewhere along the way. It had this weird, children's story feel to it that it dropped around the time it started going for the steven universe-y visual style.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Poppy may have changed but Boris remains the best there ever was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be brother :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its not a comic anymore, shoo shoo git!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My webcomic asks an important question: are we not all Clevin, deep inside?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Pavlov posted:

it dropped around the time it started going for the steven universe-y visual style.

the number of comics that have succumbed to Steven Universe Syndrome is truly, truly tragic.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Crocoswine posted:

the number of comics that have succumbed to Steven Universe Syndrome is truly, truly tragic.

they stop updating for months at a time only to post several pages at once before vanishing again?
i think that predates steven universe

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nah, I think it means being super gay to the point that you sometimes forget that there's a plot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
notable work has visible influences on the work of other artists, news at 11

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

But it's for girls so it's bad

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The weirdly titled Bomango has hit 60 pages and looks like it's about to start filling in some of the plot; it's very much paced and drawn as a traditional comic, and bears the promise of motherfucking kaiju:

The colouring is... interesting. Like there's a lot of inconsistency to denote different situations, like flashbacks have an orangey glow, regular life is a washed out grey and angry kaiju lady is all fiery reds, sometimes mashing them together on the same page or panel. It's getting its own site at some point, but for now it's dA only.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The weirdly titled Bomango has hit 60 pages and looks like it's about to start filling in some of the plot; it's very much paced and drawn as a traditional comic, and bears the promise of motherfucking kaiju:

The colouring is... interesting. Like there's a lot of inconsistency to denote different situations, like flashbacks have an orangey glow, regular life is a washed out grey and angry kaiju lady is all fiery reds, sometimes mashing them together on the same page or panel. It's getting its own site at some point, but for now it's dA only.

This dude's been dabbling in short story comics in that story universe for years now. I didn't realize he was starting to make an actual story out of it, so that's cool. I'm surprised to see it actually get a recommendation here because for as good as the artwork and story promise behind it is, Bomango is still just really loving weird more often than not, to the point where I can't tell if its actually good or bad.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i'm sorry i just can't read another webcomic about a snotty teenage boy

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

the old ceremony posted:

i'm sorry i just can't read another webcomic about a snotty teenage boy

But this one has the local questionably russian amazon teaching him to less snotty.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PMush Perfect posted:

Nah, I think it means being super gay to the point that you sometimes forget that there's a plot.

He means lots of impressionable teens/twentysomethings ape SU's art style the same way people copied Evangelion back in the day

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
stylistic fads happen across all art forms, the stephen universe style is just the art nouveau of the 21st century

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Nuns with Guns posted:

He means lots of impressionable teens/twentysomethings ape SU's art style the same way people copied Evangelion back in the day

I did, but I think the comic also spun its wheels with a bunch of queer characters making dramatic faces for a while so :shrug:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

the old ceremony posted:

stylistic fads happen across all art forms, the stephen universe style is just the art nouveau of the 21st century

Well there's nothing wrong with being inspired by art you like. I just mean it's widespread and not pulled off too well due to inexperience. Like the various people inspired by Cucumber Quest who are a lot worse at color theory.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
SU itself is also just plain ugly.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah I just don't like the style and the influence it's had on a lot of artists, you don't gotta make it about me hating women because I made a dumb joke post christ

Tenebrais posted:

But it's for girls so it's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we're due for another invader zim soon, count your blessings while you have them