Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You lick up all the powder on your palm.

A second later, your mouth feels as if it's on fire! This is the hottest stuff you've ever tasted!

You rush outside the big top searching for water. You spot a big tank that's used to water the animals. You grab it up and drain it in one gulp!

It doesn't help. You've got to find more water!

You rush away from the circus. In the distance you see a lake. You take three big steps, and you're there. You kneel down and begin to sip from the lake.

By the time the lake is empty, you start to feel better. You stand up - and notice that you're bigger. Much, much bigger.

You're so big that the dry lake is a tiny dot far below you.

A jet plane buzzes by your ear.

You're so big your feet cover a whole county!

It appears that you took too much of the herbal powder. It's having a reverse effect!

Uh-oh! You can't breathe. You're so tall your head reaches into outer space.

Too bad, it looks as if this big adventure was really out of this world!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Returned to normal size just in time to get beaten up by Barney.
Returned to normal size while surrounded by tigers.
Drank a potion that turned us into a life-size gingerbread cookie.
Captured by the government for study.
Got stuck cleaning up animal poop at the circus.
Suffocated to death inside a refrigerator.
Forcibly adopted by a motherly mouse.
Got stuck in a mouse hole and wound up being mauled.
Drowned in the sewers.
Crushed to death in a car compactor.
Flattened under a fainting janitor.
:siren:Overdosed on magic herbs and became too high to live.:siren:

Achievements
Fails from the Crypt: Encountered a total of 50 bad endings.
It Went Thadda-Way: Randomly returned to normal size just in time to escape the military.
Walk the Dinosaur: Returned to normal size with a very large new pet as a bonus.

Our options posted:

• Avoid Barney at the baseball game.
  • Run from the police.
  • Hide outside.
  • Steer toward the waterfall.
  • Eat the crumb.
  • Head for the main building.
  • Enter Dr. Abbott's lab.
  • Only take a little of the mixture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Dr Abbot's lab.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Eat The Crumb

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Abbot labs.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
What a wonderful failure description.

to the labs!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You run down the hall as fast as your tiny legs can go. The janitor's footsteps thunder behind you.

You duck into Dr. Abbott's lab at the end of the hall. You hide in the space between the open door and the wall.

"Where's that mouse?" the janitor shouts.

"There are no mice in here," says a friendly voice from the back of the room. You glance up to see a tall scientist with a gray beard working at a table. He must be Dr. Abbott, you think.

"Let's look around to make sure," the janitor insists. You hold your breath as he enters the room, then clomps around looking for you.

Please don't look behind the door, you think.

"I guess it didn't come in here," the janitor announces. "See you later, Doc."

You let out a sigh of relief. You step out from behind the door and glance around. Dr. Abbott's laboratory is huge. Way above your head you can see several tables and bookshelves. Two big metal machines stand in a corner. You hear the sound of something boiling on a gas burner.

You're sure to find help here. But how can you make Dr. Abbott notice you?

quote:

You hurry over to Dr. Abbott. You try shouting at him. But he doesn't hear your feeble, squeaky voice.

You try pulling on his pants cuff. But all he does is shake his leg, sending you flying under the table.

How can you make him notice? Then you get a great idea. Moving carefully, you untie the shoelaces on both of his shoes. You're so small that it's like untying two jump ropes.

Now, slowly, carefully, you tie the two laces together. You make a knot. He's so busy working he doesn't notice. You scramble out of the way and wait.

It doesn't take long.

Dr. Abbott stands up. He starts to cross the room. BAM! He trips and falls flat on his face.

"Hey!" he shouts angrily. "Who tied my shoes together?"

"I did," you reply. He's still lying flat on the floor. You stroll over to his head.

"Who said that?" he demands angrily. "Speak up!"

"I did it," you repeat. You're standing in front of his face. "I'm sorry - I had to get you to notice me."

Now he focuses on you. At first he looks surprised. Then he frowns. He suddenly swoops his hand out to swat you.

quote:

You sprint out of Dr. Abbott's reach. "Please don't hurt me," you beg. "I need your help."

"How can I hurt you?" he replies angrily. "You don't exist."

"What do you mean?" you demand.

"I've been working too hard," Dr. Abbott mutters. "I'm starting to see thing." He sits up and unties his laces, then reties his shoes. He rubs his eyes.

"I'm a real kid," you insist. "You're not imagining me. I'm really here."

He eyes you suspiciously. You try to look as real as possible. "I know!" you cry. "Ask my Aunt Fiona. She works right here at the university."

"You have references?" the scientist asks incredulously.

"Please! You have to believe me." Quickly, you explain what's happened to you. "I think it was the purple peanut butter I ate," you finish. "But whatever it was, I keep on shrinking. If you can't help me, I'm afraid I'll get so small I'll disappear."

Dr. Abbott stares at you in silence. Then, suddenly, his mouth turns up in a big smile. "Kid," he says, "you've come to the right place!"

quote:

"I've been looking for a great experiment," Dr. Abbott exclaims. "I don't know anything about size change. But I'm willing to give it a shot."

"I'll try anything," you say. "I'm desperate."

"Excellent! Just think of the publicity!" Dr. Abbott is getting very excited. "People will stop accusing me of - " He glances down at you. "Well, never mind. Let's get started."

The scientist hurries to his desk and searches through piles of papers. "I have to do a bit of research," he explains.

You smile weakly at him. You hope you haven't made a terrible mistake.

Finally, Dr. Abbott lifts you up in his hand and examines you carefully. Every time he exhales, the force of his breath almost blows you over. He takes out a tape measure and measures you. He puts you on a scale and weighs you. Then he places you on a table.

"I'm not sure which one of my machines to use," he says. "The magnetron works by changing your magnetic field. The laser gun makes the body's atoms expand. What do you think?"

"What do I think?" you reply with a gulp. Somehow, you hadn't expected the decision to be yours. Still, it is your body.

Do you want to try magnetism? Go to PAGE 76.

Or is the laser gun the answer? Turn to PAGE 101.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Drowned in the sewers.
Overdosed on magic herbs and became too high to live.

Achievements
It Went Thadda-Way: Randomly returned to normal size just in time to escape the military.
Walk the Dinosaur: Returned to normal size with a very large new pet as a bonus.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Well, we can either go with the magic of magnets, or get shot with a laser. I saw a movie once where a guy got shot with a laser and died. So... magnets.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

CaptainCaveman posted:

Well, we can either go with the magic of magnets, or get shot with a laser. I saw a movie once where a guy got shot with a laser and died. So... laser.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
Time for some laser body surgery!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Let us get blasted by the laser! For !Science!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LASERS

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

CaptainCaveman posted:

Well, we can either go with the magic of magnets, or get shot with a laser. I saw a movie once where a guy got shot with a laser and died. So... magnets.

This is good logic. magnets

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Lasers!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

"And I don't wanna talk to a scientist / y'all motherfuckers lying, and getting me pissed." Magnets.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

So about these frickin' lasers, are they sat upon the frickin' heads of some frickin' sharks?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I'd like to try the laser treatment," you squeak.

"Excellent!" Dr. Abbott replies. "Now stay right there."

He rushes across the room and returns pushing a huge machine. It looks like a white machine gun with a pointed barrel. He aims it directly at you.

Dr. Abbott presses several buttons on a plastic remote control. With a high-pitched whine, the laser starts up. Suddenly, a red ray shoots out. You start to sweat and pant. But you're not growing any bigger.

Dr. Abbott turns off the machine. "Any results?" he asks.

"It isn't working," you tell him.

"Oh, dear," he says, frowning. "Maybe I'd better turn the ray up to full power." He presses more buttons on the remote. There's a sudden POP! and the entire room glows bright red.

You fall down as everything begins to shake. The red light is so bright you have to cover your eyes. Then it begins to fade to pink. The shaking stops and the laser shuts off.

You're still small.

And Dr. Abbott seems to have disappeared.

"Dr. Abbott?" you call. "Dr. Abbott?" You approach the edge of the table and glance down. There on the floor is a tiny creature wearing a white lab coat. It looks like...

quote:

It's Dr. Abbott! A teeny tiny Dr. Abbot!

"Look what's happened!" Dr. Abbott calls from the floor. "I used the wrong settings. Now I'm small, too!"

Great, you think. What now?

"Don't worry," Dr. Abbott assures you. "I'll be able to return us both to normal size. We have to reverse the settings on the laser gun. But we need the remote. Where's the remote?"

You scan the laboratory for the remote. "I see it!" you cry. "It's on top of a glass beaker on the next lab table over."

"It must have been thrown out of my hand when the room started shaking," Dr. Abbott tells you. "It will take both of us to change the settings."

"But how can we reach it?" you ask.

"I'll climb up the table leg," Dr. Abbott says. "Do you think you can jump to the next table?"

The tables are only a foot apart. But twelve inches is a big distance to someone as tiny as you. You approach the edge of the table and glance down. The floor is a long way down. If you fall, you'll probably break every bone in your body.

Maybe, instead of jumping, you should climb down to the floor and then up the other table leg. What do you think?

If you decide to take the leap, turn to PAGE 57.

If you think you should climb down, turn to PAGE 115.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Drowned in the sewers.

Achievements

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Jump

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

You know what they say: leap before you think!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

We definitely wouldn't break every bone in our body, because we're small. Velocity while falling is a function of mass, and as such it would take a proportionally longer fall to injure a creature as small as we currently are. In this state, we could walk away unharmed after jumping off a skyscraper!

It's perfectly safe to jump. This is a key scientific principle and I have every faith that the writer of this Goosebumps choose your own adventure tale knows and acknowledges that.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Android Blues posted:

We definitely wouldn't break every bone in our body, because we're small. Velocity while falling is a function of mass, and as such it would take a proportionally longer fall to injure a creature as small as we currently are. In this state, we could walk away unharmed after jumping off a skyscraper!

It's perfectly safe to jump. This is a key scientific principle and I have every faith that the writer of this Goosebumps choose your own adventure tale knows and acknowledges that.

Oh, can't you see what he means? Might as well jump! JUMP!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

How can I make that jump? you wonder.

You gaze around, desperately. And then you spot something that might help. A pencil. It's twice as tall as you are - just the right size for a vaulting pole.

You've never vaulted before. But you've seen athletes do it on television. You grasp the pencil, point side up. Then you take off running toward the edge of the table.

Please let this work, you pray. Just before you reach the edge, you jam the eraser end of the pencil down on the table. Then you leap.

You sail through the air. You don't look down.

Hooray! You land on the other table! A moment later Dr. Abbott scrambles up beside you.

"The remote's over there," you tell him, pointing. The remote is balanced across the top of an open glass jar.

The two of you make your way across the table. Dr. Abbott is a very messy worker. The table is covered with junk. You have to detour around dirty coffee cups. You scoot around piles of books. You've almost reached the jar when you trip over a big paper clip.

At last you reach the glass jar. The remote sits on top of it, way beyond your reach. Was it all for nothing?

quote:

You refuse to be defeated. "I've got an idea," you tell Dr. Abbott. "We'll make a staircase." You and Dr. Abbott struggle and strain as you shove books into a pile. The books are stacked unevenly, forming steps. When the pile is as tall as the beaker, you and the scientist rush up the steps. At the top, you reach out for the remote. It's nearly as big as you are.

Your hands both touch the remote. With all your strength, you pull. You fall flat on your back. But the remote lands next to you.

"I'll change the settings!" Dr. Abbott cries. He presses a button on the remote. The buttons are so big he has to use both hands. Then, grunting and sweating, he turns a dial.

"That should do it," he tells you. "On the count of three, jump on button number six. At the same time, I'll put all my weight on the 'on' switch. One!"

"Two!"

You prepare to jump onto button six.

"Three!" Will you be successful? That depends on the month you were born in.

If you were born in the first half of the year - January through June - turn to PAGE 30.

If you were born in the months of July through December, turn to PAGE 68.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Drowned in the sewers.

Achievements

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

First half, page 30.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

First half

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

First Half

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Excuse me what? What does our birth month have to do with this?

Anyway, I was actually born in August, so second half.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
Did you know? R.L. Stine's birthday is coming up in a week and a half, on October 8. He'll be turning 74.

Naturally, this means that we should be born in the first half of the year.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You were born in one of the first six months of the year. You jump as hard as you can onto button number six.

For a moment nothing happens. Then the laser begins to buzz. You turn and stare as the machine glows green, then white, then yellow. You suddenly feel very sleepy. So sleepy that you have to take a nap.

When you awaken, you find yourself curled up on the lab table, wearing a white lab coat. You stretch and yawn. You feel strange. You feel big. You stand up and notice that you're much taller than you've ever been. You rush to the window and gaze into the glass.

Dr. Abbot's face gazes back at you.

You glance at your hands. They're hairy adult hands.

Now you glance around the lab. With shock, you see a kid sleeping on a chair. There's something very familiar about this kid...

The kid is you!

quote:

You gaze at the kid in shock. The kid stares back, looking just as stunned. You realize what must have happened.

"The laser switched our bodies!" Dr. Abbott cries. But he says it in your voice.

"I know," you reply, sounding like Dr. Abbott.

"We have to switch back!" he exclaims.

You think for a moment. "Not yet," you reply."

"What do you mean," 'Not yet'?" Dr. Abbott demands. "When?"

"After the summer is over," you say. When I won't be stuck with Barney the Bully and Dull Dora anymore, you think.

"Out of the question!" Dr. Abbott roars.

"Can you change back without my help?"

"Of course not!" Dr. Abbott exclaims.

"Then I guess you don't have a choice," you state calmly. You go to the desk and find your aunt's number in the directory.

"What are you doing?" Dr. Abbott demands as you punch in your aunt's number. "You can't just leave me like this!"

You hear Aunt Fiona's voice come on the line.

"Can you please get this kid out of here?" you bark in Dr. Abbott's grown-up voice. "I can't get any work done!"

"Don't worry, Doc," you say as you hang up. "I'll come to get you as soon as I discover a formula to make my creepy cousins disappear."

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Drowned in the sewers.

Achievements
:siren:Ungrateful Bastard: Thanked Dr. Abbott for saving our life by stealing his body and sentencing him to three months of bullying.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Run from the police.
  • Hide outside.
  • Eat the crumb.
  • Try the magnetron.
  • Climb down from the desk.
  • Fail to operate the laser properly.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

my birthday's actually next Sunday.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

quote:

"Don't worry, Doc," you say as you hang up. "I'll come to get you as soon as I discover a formula to make my creepy cousins disappear."

THE END

I think our protagonist is seriously overestimating what a adult man can get away with.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

QuoProQuid posted:

I think our protagonist is seriously overestimating what a adult man can get away with.

He's also underestimating how much work he'll probably have to do, since he's got a job now, and since he likely has little scientific knowledge he probably won't be having said job for very long.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Fail to operate the laser properly. If operating it PROPERLY turned out to be a body switcher, I can't wait to see what failing does.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You were born in the last half of the year. You leap onto the remote. With all your weight, you land on button six.

The laser gun explodes with a loud BANG! Pieces of glass and metal rain all over the laboratory. In terror, you dive under a magazine. When pieces of the laser gun stop falling, you crawl out.

You're still tiny. It didn't work.

Dr. Abbott is upset. "I can't believe it!" he mutters. "I was sure those were the right settings." You've decided that Dr. Abbott is the stupidest scientist you've ever met.

"I have another idea," he tells you. "I'm sure this one will work."

"Thanks anyway," you tell him. You're sure you'll be safer finding help somewhere else.

"Don't leave me," the scientist begs.

You climb down the table leg. "I'll come back when I'm the right size," you assure him. "Maybe I'll be able to help you."

You hurry out of the lab. You overhear a student telling someone her address. She will be going right past your uncle's house. You sneak into her backpack and hitch a ride.

You can't think of anything else to do but try to track down that jar of purple peanut butter.

This takes us to the scene where we get washed down the drain by Dora.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Drowned in the sewers.

Achievements
Ungrateful Bastard: Thanked Dr. Abbott for saving our life by stealing his body and sentencing him to three months of bullying.

Our options posted:

• Run from the police.
  • Hide outside.
  • Eat the crumb.
  • Try the magnetron.
  • Climb down from the desk.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Fuckin magnets

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I wanna learn how magnets work.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

All aboard for magnets!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Climb down.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"I'd like to try the magnetism," you tell Dr. Abbott.

"Excellent," he replies. "I think you have a good chance for success. There's only one drawback..."

"What is it?" you ask anxiously.

"Never mind," he says briskly. "Compared to your present problem, it's minor." He wheels over one of the big machines from the corner of his lab. A label on its side reads SUPERMAGNETRON.

The machine is as tall as Dr. Abbott. It's covered with dials and buttons. A long tube as wide as a person runs right through the center of the machine.

Dr. Abbott picks you up and gently places you in the center of the tube. You feel very tiny inside the huge machine.

"Hold very still," he instructs you. "No matter what you hear or feel, don't move!"

You hear a metallic click, and then a loud buzzing noise. The tube begins to vibrate, faster and faster. You try to hold still, but it's like trying to stay still during an earthquake. The buzzing grows even louder.

It's so loud you can't hear anything else. Your eardrums feel as if they're going to burst! And then, everything stops.

quote:

With a whine, the magnetron stops vibrating. You try to sit up. Then you notice that the gigantic metal tube has shrunk.

Suddenly, it fits snugly all around your body!

"Congratulations," Dr. Abbott tells you. "It worked!"

Now you realize that the tube didn't shrink - you grew! You're back to your regular size!

You're also stuck in the tube. Dr. Abbott fiddles with some controls on the magnetron. The two sides of the tube pop apart so you can climb out. But you notice something odd.

"My skin is sticking to the metal," you tell the scientist.

Dr. Abbott frowns. "Don't worry about it," he says. "That's just a side effect of the treatment."

You thank the scientist for his help. Dr. Abbott smiles and walks you to the front of the physics building. "We'll be in touch," he tells you. "I'll need to write this up for the scientific community." As you're about to step outside, he stops you.

"My keys!" he exclaims. "You're walking off with my keys."

You glance down and notice a ring of keys plastered to your jeans. You pluck them off and hand them to him.

Strange, you think. But what happens next is even stranger.

quote:

You reach the bus stop just as the bus for home pulls up. You try to drop a coin in the slot, but it sticks to your hand. The bus driver has to pull it away from your skin.

You have a growing suspicion that you know what the side effect of the magnetron treatment might be. When you find yourself stuck to the metal seat at your stop, you're sure.

The magnetron restored you to your normal size, all right. But it also changed your magnetic field. Somehow, it's turned you into a human magnet!

Metal is now attracted to you. As you stroll home from the bus stop, metal objects jump off the sidewalk onto your legs. Parking meters and lampposts bend in your direction as you walk by. They look as if they are bowing.

This is kind of cool, you think. You turn to face a bent-over lamppost. "I am the Great Magnetron!" you announce in a grand voice. "Ruler of all I see!"

You could have some fun with this.

Do you head straight home? Then turn to PAGE 53.

Or if you want to see what other magnetic possibilities you have, go to PAGE 131.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Drowned in the sewers.

Achievements
Ungrateful Bastard: Thanked Dr. Abbott for saving our life by stealing his body and sentencing him to three months of bullying.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Why go home when we can become a super villian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

BECOME MAGNETO