Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Sephyr posted:

Do they ever reveal what the hell happened to Horus Aximand?

I posted this same question. I remember a short story with him in it. He was in a warband assaulting an alien stronghold somewhere, and they were beating his warband. He had renamed his power sword to a play on Mournival; Mourn It All.' Thats all i remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pretty much yeah. Video games, codex, novels, it's all fair game in here as far as fluff goes.

As for what's been going on, the space goatse Eye of Terror has split the Imperium in half, Cadia fell, Gurlyman is back with an army of nu-marines, and it is officially M42 on some imperial calendars and still m41 on others.
Oh, and it turned out that Armageddon is actually Imperium colonized Ullanor, the closest thing the Orks ever had to a home world.

Mortarion is back too. Hes ruining Ultramar. Someone even made a :krad: trailer for it:
https://youtu.be/-oSUqmyh8lQ

https://youtu.be/xuC5U7JU3qw

Its like, The Age of the Primarchs now.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 23, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I posted this same question. I remember a short story with him in it. He was in a warband assaulting an alien stronghold somewhere, and they were beating his warband. He had renamed his power sword to a play on Mournival; Mourn It All.' Thats all i remember.

Little Horus by Dan Abnett in the Age of Darkness anthology.

First paragraph of Little Horus posted:

Let us speak of Little Horus, Little Horus Aximand. His aspect was the half moon, and his disposition, according to the hunours, was inclining towards melancholia. This explained, many thought his prevailing mood of sorrow and inner trouble, though he frequently denied it. 'The melancholic humour is misunderstood,' he said. 'You think too literally. It has, in fact, the quality of Autumn. It is the spirit of contemplative change, the accelerator of death, the enabler of ends and beginnings. Autumn clears away the world so that a new one may rise. This is my purpose. I am not sad."

Of course, once they reattached his face, all he ever really looked was angry.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

MariusLecter posted:

Of course, once they reattached his face, all he ever really looked was angry.

See, this is the kind of grimdark humor that the chaos powers are great at. The imperials tend to be too uptight for that kinda stuff.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

One Legged Cat posted:

See, this is the kind of grimdark humor that the chaos powers are great at. The imperials tend to be too uptight for that kinda stuff.
There's a similar situation with Eisenhorn where he has all the nerves in his face burnt out with comments along the lines of "he wouldn't have smiled even if he could".

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Since this is the lore thread: If Lorgar came back would he instantly become the leader of chaos and just completely overshadow the likes of Abaddon in the same way Guilliman overshadowed Calgar?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I don't think Lorgar gives a poo poo about the concerns of mortals. If he was to come back, it would be to serve the chaotic Pantheon. What they want is endless war, not a victory. That's not something the Black Legion would be on board with.

The only daemon primarchs I can see going to war in realspace are the mono-god ones, and even then just serving their patron god's agenda, and maybe a few old grudges of their own.

So no, I don't see Lorgar taking Abbadon's job any time soon, they have far too different goals for one to replace the other.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't see why he would. Word Bearers don't have the same poster boy status that Ultramarines do and Chaos is a lot more fractured anyway. A lot of the time chaos marines aren't written as having much respect for their own primarchs, much less those of other legions.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
We-ell, some counter arguments, spoilers from The First Heretic and Aurelian (have not read through Know No Fear and Betrayer yet, to feel free to point out if either of those counter this): Re: Groetgaffel, it is hammered into Lorgar when he goes through his tour of the Eye that it is his destiny to unite mankind under the Light of Chaos, to combine the born with the neverborn, lest the fate of the Eldar befalls Man. That gives him plenty of reason to go on a tour of realspace, which the latest 8th edition chaos codex says is already happening. And re: what bloom said, the Word Bearers should be the most united of the chaos legions due to the mutation of their geneseed. Where space wolves turn into furries and night lords can see the future a little and the thousand sons have the poo poo mutated out of their bodies, the Word Bearers have a genetic predisposition towards loyalty to their Primarch, making them the most zealous and united of any legion. In theory.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 25, 2017

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I don't know of anything off the top of my head that contradicts that, but consider this; the agents of chaos lies all the time, whatever it takes to seduce their chosen pawn to the path of chaos. They showed Horus the future - our 'current' 41st millennium, but they told him that this vision was what would happen if he didn't rebel against the Emperor, tricking him into fulfilling the vision he wanted to avoid.

Add to that that total victory for either side does not serve the will of the pantheon. All four of them feed on the endless war in one way or the other.
They could not let the Emperor succeed in his plan to to isolate mankind from chaos and starve them, obviously, thus they turned first the susceptible Word Bearers, and later Horus to be their pawns.

But just as Big E claiming total victory, if all of mankind falls there's nothing, or nearly nothings for Chaos to feed on, and they'd burn out. That was in fact the plan of the Cabal - make sure Horus wins a crushing victory, and with all of mankind corrupted, both it and chaos would burn themselves out in short order. Sacrifice the human species to save the galaxy. As we all know, that's not what happened.

Khorne wants endless bloodshed. Without a foe, his followers would destroy themselves and die out.

Nurgle wants to uphold the cycle of life, death and rebirth, and he feeds on despair. Like say the despair of the countless masses of mankind living in the 41st millennium. He too would be weaker without the imperium. Most of his converts are those that fear death. Cultists usually don't.

Slaanesh wants more morally pure people to corrupt. She feeds on the imperum's decadent and those that numb the pain of existence with the pleasures of the flesh.

Tzeentch feeds on hope and scheming. The hope for a better future, and all the countless plans from both sides on how to win.

All four would be worse off if the imperium collapsed.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That's more about guessing the ineffable, sometimes contradictory will of the gods than it is about Lorgar taking over the chaos forces in the mortal realm. If anything it reinforces them wanting Lorgar to take control and to keep the endless war going since he bends more to their will than Abaddon, who (me saying this drawing on limited knowledge, having never read any of the BL books dealing with him) wants to crush the imperium above all else and refuses ascension to daemonhood.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

You do have a point there.
Still, the Black Legion was very much founded on a "gently caress the primarchs" sentiment, so for Lorgar to take Abby's place as the human leader of chaos, you'd either have to overhaul the Black Legion or replace them with something else, and I don't see GW doing that.

I could see Lorgar showing up and corrupting a sector or two with his Word Bearer pals though, in much the same way Magnus went and kicked some puppies the Space Wolves around for a bit, or as of the new Death Guard release, Mortarion showing up to cough on Ultramar.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Hamshot posted:

We-ell, some counter arguments, spoilers from The First Heretic and Aurelian (have not read through Know No Fear and Betrayer yet, to feel free to point out if either of those counter this): Re: Groetgaffel, it is hammered into Lorgar when he goes through his tour of the Eye that it is his destiny to unite mankind under the Light of Chaos, to combine the born with the neverborn, lest the fate of the Eldar befalls Man. That gives him plenty of reason to go on a tour of realspace, which the latest 8th edition chaos codex says is already happening. And re: what bloom said, the Word Bearers should be the most united of the chaos legions due to the mutation of their geneseed. Where space wolves turn into furries and night lords can see the future a little and the thousand sons have the poo poo mutated out of their bodies, the Word Bearers have a genetic predisposition towards loyalty to their Primarch, making them the most zealous and united of any legion. In theory.

On the other hand - The Chaos Gods DO lie. Quite a bit.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Hamshot posted:

The predisposition towards loyalty thing can also have a rebound effect in the opposite direction. C.f. Lorgar's loyalty to the Emperor.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I don't know of any chaos marines who even likes their primarch. Most see their primarchs as having failed them and then abandoned them to play with infinite dreamspace.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH there's no reason to assume that Lorgar even cares anymore.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If anything, Lorgar abandoning Chaos makes the most sense. He turned to Chaos when he lost faith in the Emperor and humanity, rationalizing that Humanity was doomed without the help of Chaos so it follows that he'd try to walk away when he realizes this isn't the right path either.

I'm surprised the guy's not a spawn already, except they're probably keeping him around to revel in his misery.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, he's one of those people on twitter who put "TRUTH SEEKER!" in their bio and retweet nothing but conspiracy theory garbage. As long as Chaos keeps showing him new "truth" to discover he won't care, even if one truth completely contradicts another.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, he's one of those people on twitter who put "TRUTH SEEKER!" in their bio and retweet nothing but conspiracy theory garbage. As long as Chaos keeps showing him new "truth" to discover he won't care, even if one truth completely contradicts another.
Someone model the Forgeworld Lorgar mini with a tinfoil hat, tia.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My take if they do a loyalist / traitor switcheroo is it'll be Lorgar and Russ. GW can't resist going for the ultimate twist of the two most fanatically loyal primarchs swithing sides.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Word of Lorgar in the voice of Alex Jones is an entirely plausible, terrifying scenario.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
If primarchs represent different aspects of the emperor, Lorgar is the emperor as a hobo ranting about CIA nanobots in the water supply.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

moths posted:

The Word of Lorgar in the voice of Alex Jones is an entirely plausible, terrifying scenario.

Please email this idea to the emperor text to speech dudes asap.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

bloom posted:

If primarchs represent different aspects of the emperor, Lorgar is the emperor as a hobo ranting about CIA nanobots in the water supply.

His belief that he is right and astounding hubris. Oh and the absolute need to push his beliefs and rightness on others for their own good.

The most like Papa of them all!

The flip side seems to be a fickleness to what truth he believes in. Chaos pantheon has totally dialed in on that.

Arquinsiel posted:

Warhound plasma can't melt primarchs.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
All he does is sit in a tower somewhere on his stupid little planet and sing endless hymns of Praise towards the entire Pantheon. Like a Non-Stop Litany of prayers and praise to all four of the chaos gods

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Uncle w Benefits posted:

All he does is sit in a tower somewhere on his stupid little planet and sing endless hymns of Praise towards the entire Pantheon. Like a Non-Stop Litany of prayers and praise to all four of the chaos gods

Sounds familiar. :thunk:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Does he want to build a Space Wall?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

MariusLecter posted:

Sounds familiar. :thunk:

Vadoc posted:

Does he want to build a Space Wall?

:shrug: I don't get it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Trump is Nurgle.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Arquinsiel posted:

Trump is Nurgle.

Trump isn't nearly as fatherly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Trump is an aspect of Tzeentch who's only capable of deceiving its followers into thinking they're worshipping a better aspect of Tzeentch.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
...just as planned

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Trump only deceives people who wants to be deceived, just like Chaos.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I can see several scenarios for Lorgar to come back.

One, it's the endgame and he gets to stomp on the ecclesiarchy that grew from his original heresy, for poetic justice.

Two, Guilliman is around shoring up the corrupt Imperium, and he can't resist some dramatic facing-off with his brother, and the opportunity to mock him for what his dream degenerated into.

Three, the final reckoning with the Emperor as the last step for him grand project of merging the human and daemonic, as the Warp has literally spilled through the galaxy.

And those don't even include the basic "It's chaos, maybe he just feels like it", and the only one that matters ("We can sell a Lorgar model, so of course he comes back"). Hell, Magnus was the most ambivalent traitor Primarch, forever contemplating his failures and plots in the eye, and now he's back in Realspace tearing poo poo up.

Also, Lorgar is totally George McGovern.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Is Lionel Jonson seriously going to be the next dude to come back?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He better loving be. Lion-o's the best of the Primarchs. He has a thword and feathers and h...

Gav Thorpe's going to somehow gently caress up even a plastic Jonson isn't he?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's the rumor, but I'd be unsurprised if the kit also builds the Arch-"heretic" Luthor...

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

He better loving be. Lion-o's the best of the Primarchs. He has a thword and feathers and h...

Gav Thorpe's going to somehow gently caress up even a plastic Jonson isn't he?
The plastic model is actually going to be made in Gav Thorpe's image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hey dudes, I don't mean to interrupt Lionel Richie chat but my local big chain bookstore has a paperback copy of Red Tithe in stock.

Is it any good? Because I'm trying to picture how a book about Space Sharks vs Night Lords could end up bad but I dunno...