Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

We baked it anyway in the end, it rose less than normal, but it was still fluffy enough: we did a four layered cake with raspberry jam between each layer and strawberries on the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there any way I could incorporate some Mello Yello into a burger? I was thinking maybe some sort of sauce reduction or something but I have no idea what I'm doing with cooking mostly hence the weird experimentation.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

Is there any way I could incorporate some Mello Yello into a burger? I was thinking maybe some sort of sauce reduction or something but I have no idea what I'm doing with cooking mostly hence the weird experimentation.

Easy enough to boil soda down into a syrup, then pour that over the burger. Just don't burn yourself with the syrup, it will stick if it gets on you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

juliuspringle posted:

Are we allowed to ask why you want to do that?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I caved recently and bought the Bob's Burgers Book of Burgers (I find it lackluster) and it's got me interested more in cooking other than just because I need to eat to live. On the show one of the Burger of the days was I'm mad about saffron burger (made with no saffron) I figured since there's no recipe in the book for that I'm free to dick around and since the song it's referencing is called Mellow Yellow I figured that was as good a place as any to start my dicking around.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

juliuspringle posted:

I caved recently and bought the Bob's Burgers Book of Burgers (I find it lackluster) and it's got me interested more in cooking other than just because I need to eat to live. On the show one of the Burger of the days was I'm mad about saffron burger (made with no saffron) I figured since there's no recipe in the book for that I'm free to dick around and since the song it's referencing is called Mellow Yellow I figured that was as good a place as any to start my dicking around.

I mean, you can totally make a Mellow Yellow reduction and put it on a burger. Hell, take pictures and post it in the thread, we'll all be horrified, yet titillated. But is your goal is 'make something tasty and nice to eat' or 'ruin this meat for laffos'? Because I will bet a case of Brillo you will be scrubbing boiled-over soda off your kitchen for days and it will destroy any desire for you to be adventurous with cooking ever again. And the result will not be nice or funny for more then about a second on the internet, which is value you can measure in grains.

If I was going to make a Mellow Yellow (soda) burger, I'd make a nice turkey burger on a lightly toasted potato roll, spinach and tomatoes, honey mustard, shavings of salted lemon preserves, and savory pop-rocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TewK3Ipfo7A.

However, the song that is being referenced in the Mad About Saffron burger predates the soda by about 12 years.

Perhaps we could give you suggestions that wont be disgusting, but still interesting to do from a culinary standpoint? Lots of fun tasty foodsperiments out there.

\/\/ Egg, and that sounds loving delicious \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 25, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have some leftover potato salad, so I tried to form it into patties and fry those up. The frying worked alright, but the patties crumbled pretty easily and they don't hold their shape at all. Should I have added something to the potato salad to make it stick together?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pollyanna posted:

I have some leftover potato salad, so I tried to form it into patties and fry those up. The frying worked alright, but the patties crumbled pretty easily and they don't hold their shape at all. Should I have added something to the potato salad to make it stick together?
Yes.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

How about using the mellow yellow as a base for a mustard?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

If an egg doesn't do the job, nothing will.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

If an egg doesn't do the job, nothing will.

Flour

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am reducing chicken stock on the hob at the moment, and I am curious as to what exactly the stuff is that I'm skimming off the top? In the past, I've made the mistake of allowing it to cool in the sink, at which point it hardens to an amber glass like substance. What is it?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
It's fat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I am reducing chicken stock on the hob at the moment, and I am curious as to what exactly the stuff is that I'm skimming off the top? In the past, I've made the mistake of allowing it to cool in the sink, at which point it hardens to an amber glass like substance. What is it?

If it's the scum type stuff I believe those are coagulated proteins

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

How about using the mellow yellow as a base for a mustard?

Eh you can't really save water + HFCS imo. I also feel root beer/coke crock pot recipes are gross so ymmv

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Definitely not fat, that doesn't harden, and I skim that from the top to cook with once the reduced stock has cooled.

If it's the scum type stuff I believe those are coagulated proteins

That sounds about right, thanks.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
So I just signed up to bring strudel to a German themed potluck, happening a couple days from now. I was poking through recipes, and it seems doable, but I'm worried the apple will make it soggy when it bakes. Is this a valid concern? Any advice, or help, regarding common pitfalls? Heck, any favorite strudel recipe suggestions? Thanks in advance!

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

uberwekkness posted:

So I just signed up to bring strudel to a German themed potluck, happening a couple days from now. I was poking through recipes, and it seems doable, but I'm worried the apple will make it soggy when it bakes. Is this a valid concern? Any advice, or help, regarding common pitfalls? Heck, any favorite strudel recipe suggestions? Thanks in advance!

The only thing I know about strudel is this youtube video of a guy making it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H3z3J50XCs

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

D'oh. Egg by itself can also make it worse if it's too wet.

I've been making lunches to take to work lately. What are some good ideas for things that I can pack the night before? I've eaten a lot of quiche the past few weeks and I made curry (the boxed Japanese kind) earlier this evening and I'll probably move more into soups and stews, but I don't have a lot of ideas right now other than to get an Instant Pot to make soups and stews faster. I really don't like taking more than 5 minutes packing in the morning and I don't have a fridge at work. Any suggestions?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Does anyone have a go to recipe for chicken liver pate? Never made it before but we usually eat it at Christmas so fancied having a go at making my own.
Bonus points if the measures are in metric! (Not essential!)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've used the Guardian recipe many times before and it's always been great.

And it's in metric, because gently caress imperial.

And gently caress cups.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That looks perfect, thanks. I like that series of recipes from the Guardian, distilling lots of them down into one that works is a good idea.

Also cups are ok as long as you're not baking. gently caress them for baking, you need precision, but they are useful for liquid measures or for ingredients where you don't need precision, like 'add 1/2 cup of peas' works fine.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dogwood Fleet posted:

D'oh. Egg by itself can also make it worse if it's too wet.

I've been making lunches to take to work lately. What are some good ideas for things that I can pack the night before? I've eaten a lot of quiche the past few weeks and I made curry (the boxed Japanese kind) earlier this evening and I'll probably move more into soups and stews, but I don't have a lot of ideas right now other than to get an Instant Pot to make soups and stews faster. I really don't like taking more than 5 minutes packing in the morning and I don't have a fridge at work. Any suggestions?

I had an a-loving-mazing lunch yesterday that I packed, I must share it.

Get some fresh spinach, cram as much as you can into your lunch box. Debone and rough chop some leftover fried chicken, throw it in top. Then some leftover mac and cheese. Then put some spicy bbq sauce in the corner. Top with a drizzle of sesame oil. Pack to work, warm in microwave for a minute to get the refrigerator cold off, mix and enjoy. It was delicious.

I do variations on that pretty often, like today I cut up a leftover resturaunt hamburger into spinach with a side of potato salad and a sweet dijon dressing and some extra pickles. Or spaghetti and sauce on top of spinach. Or leftover Chinese on spinach and wow I eat a fair bit of spinach I sound like a maniac

These recommendations only work though if you a)like raw spinach, and b)don't mind your food touching and mixing.

I've also packed taco kits to lunch, that was fun. Just mix your taco fixins (mine was spicy taco meat, salsa, and grated cheese) ahead of time, pack tortillas seperate, warm tortillas in the microwave, spoon in cool taco filling. Very delightful and refreshing! Or you can add spinach (or lettuce GEEZ I GUESS) and it's a taco salad.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 26, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

b)don't mind your food touching and mixing.

I hate these people. They are pretty much always super picky eaters, too.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Would anyone happen to have the Pecan Pralinella recipe from Lucky Peach? I mistakenly thought the website would persist in some archival fashion, but I was mistaken, and I didn't save the recipe. Apparently it was in issue #6, Winter 2013, Before and After the Apocalypse.

There are probably a billion Luck Peach recipes that I would want, but I had been meaning to make it forever, and now it's gone.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a couple half-consumed bottles of white wine in the fridge that are probably too old to drink, but I'd like to find some use for them instead of simply dumping them. Anything good I can cook with half a bottle each of Viognier(?) and Pinot Gris?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Make them into vinegars?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm having a party, my friend offered to bring tabbouleh and I said then I'd make something with chickpeas and lamb or chicken to go with it. With two days to go I realized I don't have any kind of plan for this. Help. I'm thinking something vaguely Arabian/North African, doesn't have to be super authentic as long as it's tasty.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Make them into vinegars?

Maybe, I am getting back into hot sauce-making and will probably need more vinegar for that in a few months.
A quick Google search tells me that I need something called a "vinegar mother", could I pick up something to use as one at a regular grocery store?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

slut chan posted:

Would anyone happen to have the Pecan Pralinella recipe from Lucky Peach? I mistakenly thought the website would persist in some archival fashion, but I was mistaken, and I didn't save the recipe. Apparently it was in issue #6, Winter 2013, Before and After the Apocalypse.

There are probably a billion Luck Peach recipes that I would want, but I had been meaning to make it forever, and now it's gone.

If you repost this on Saturday when I am hopefully back home I can get it for you, I have every issue

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I bought a couple pounds of jalapenos with the intention of making some poppers for a dinner party this weekend. The party happened but they didn't, and now I'm leaving on Friday for a weeklong cruise and don't want them to go bad. What can I do with a shitload of jalapenos in the short amount of time before I leave, that doesn't involve a huge amount of effort?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What's the best way to get carbon off of stainless steel? I've got a few pots with burnt crud on the bottom, but my main thing is a pot lid that, due to a severe cooking mishap, got blasted by thick smoke underneath for like 30 minutes, which somehow got baked on and it is now permanently on there. Seriously, it's like powder coat, just a thick, hard layer of glossy black on the bottom of the lid (it happened while on the pot, top side is still clean).

My cast iron instincts say "throw it in the oven on self clean" but somehow I don't think thin sheet metal would like that as much.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

barkeeper's friend and steel wool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Midniter posted:

I bought a couple pounds of jalapenos with the intention of making some poppers for a dinner party this weekend. The party happened but they didn't, and now I'm leaving on Friday for a weeklong cruise and don't want them to go bad. What can I do with a shitload of jalapenos in the short amount of time before I leave, that doesn't involve a huge amount of effort?

Pickle them.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Enourmo posted:

What's the best way to get carbon off of stainless steel? I've got a few pots with burnt crud on the bottom, but my main thing is a pot lid that, due to a severe cooking mishap, got blasted by thick smoke underneath for like 30 minutes, which somehow got baked on and it is now permanently on there. Seriously, it's like powder coat, just a thick, hard layer of glossy black on the bottom of the lid (it happened while on the pot, top side is still clean).

My cast iron instincts say "throw it in the oven on self clean" but somehow I don't think thin sheet metal would like that as much.

You don't need steel wool, a scotchbrite pad will do better with less secondary damage to the good metal underneath.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Midniter posted:

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
For the next few months I'm going to need to be able to have dinner for two kids and two adults ready in a hurry (and in a budget). I got a big Costco packet of skinless chicken thighs and was thinking of poaching them on low heat, pulling the meat and freezing in portions. I was thinking then I can thaw in the microwave or in a sauce on the stove. Will the chicken thigh meat be edible at all?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Midniter posted:

Freeze them, or dry them in a low oven, then use them in your ICSA chilli entry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rgocs posted:

For the next few months I'm going to need to be able to have dinner for two kids and two adults ready in a hurry (and in a budget). I got a big Costco packet of skinless chicken thighs and was thinking of poaching them on low heat, pulling the meat and freezing in portions. I was thinking then I can thaw in the microwave or in a sauce on the stove. Will the chicken thigh meat be edible at all?

ABSOLUTELY! Dark meat can handle it. Do you have a way of cooking them sous vide? If so, I'd say cook them to 165, ice bath, pull, and freeze. If no sous vide, you can poach them, but make sure not to overcook them because you'll run the risk of making it worse when you reheat.