Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Of course Trump pushed the button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
too eloquent

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you can tell this was inspired by shin godzilla, except that movie had a higher regard for the us to not be completely retarded

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kind of interesting that Adam survived the series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm not satisfied :smith:

I mean, given the series, yeah, it fits. But I was expecting more epic poo poo.

e: I think the big thing for me is that the entire episode feels very rushed, from a plot standpoint.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean there's one more episode left and we already have a season 5 confirmed

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Endorph posted:

i mean there's one more episode left and we already have a season 5 confirmed

Also true.

Here's my thoughts: They wanted an entire episode to Hibiki's birthday party. And then drop a cliffhanger at the end to tease S5. It has the unfortunate side effects of well, making E12 suffer from terrible pacing. Also, Hibiki 3, Gods 0.

Phobophilia posted:

you can tell this was inspired by shin godzilla, except that movie had a higher regard for the us to not be completely retarded

Also consider when Shin Godzilla was made vs this and who was in the Oval Office at the time.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

iospace posted:

I'm not satisfied :smith:

I mean, given the series, yeah, it fits. But I was expecting more epic poo poo.

e: I think the big thing for me is that the entire episode feels very rushed, from a plot standpoint.

Agreed. This episode didn't do it for me. Any of the individual beats could have been fine, but together it just kind of felt like a mess, and not in the good way. On paper, the alchemists joining together in song to stop a trump-fired missile is quality Symphogear insanity, but in an epsisode with so much else going on it felt meh.

I hope in season 5 someone actually blows up the moon.

I'm not ready for anime Trump. It just makes me uncomfortable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i realize i cant stop the meme for a variety of reasons but this isnt about trump or whatever, symph season 1 had similar 'the americans in this universe are bastards' stuff, world politics being messed up has always been a lowkey part of symph's worldbuilding.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought the episode was good. Saving Hibiki was perhaps a bit too easy, but it played to the series' usual strengths in an effective way IMO.

AXZ's been a real return to form from GX. Not quite as good as G, but still drat good. Curious to see what our finale is supposed to be - I'm sure there'll be a cliffhanger for season 5, but that's not going to take an entire episode.

Also Hibiki and Miku remain the cheesiest, sappiest couple to ever exist, and their wedding day will be both beautiful and insufferable

https://twitter.com/SpiritusNoxSA/status/912347305826820096

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 25, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Don't get me wrong, it's an entirely Symphogear conclusion, it just feels way too rushed. They could have easily fit it into two episodes instead of one. I think that's what most people (myself included) was expecting.

e: Best line from the episode though was Genjuro saying that the guns would only get in his way when he meets Saint Germain.

E2: I think a better setup would be e12 being getting Hibiki out, with e13 being the nuke and final Adam fight. But oh well

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 25, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I do wish that Hibiki had gotten more lines this ep, especially when Miku was talking to her. Miku gets fairly specific about what Hibiki means to her and how Miku's grown for knowing her, while Hibiki just goes "oh yeah I can't be with my girlfriend if I'm trapped inside a giant monster." Feels like a slightly wasted opportunity to add some more nuance into that relationship.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
They should've shoved that bullet up Adam's rear end

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

They've still not invented anything that Hibiki can't punch. Always good when another villain learns that lesson.

Also I like that the entire plan boils down to "Miku will save the day, and if not then we're hosed". And of course it works. Miku is the strongest being in the universe because she can always talk sense into Hibiki.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh id take a slightly rushed conclusion over gx's which was interminable

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GX was baaad. It's "better" if you you consider they thought it was the last season when writing it, but it still was the weakest of the three even with that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad they realized they should weaponize Miku.

Both the people predicting the other alchemists would revive and Saint Germaine would sacrifice herself were right. :v:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 26, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i realize i cant stop the meme for a variety of reasons but this isnt about trump or whatever, symph season 1 had similar 'the americans in this universe are bastards' stuff, world politics being messed up has always been a lowkey part of symph's worldbuilding.

G had it as well and i'm pretty sure the only reason GX didn't was because it didn't do much with the whole songs connecting people from different countries thing.

Anyway although for something with as much potential as Hibiki becoming God was dealt with rather straightforwardly I will like any scene which involves Miku doing a thing because Miku is great and should be around more. I'm also glad the alchemists came back. Even if it was to disperse into light after saving the world. Those guys were cool and held the season together imo, i'm glad they all came together for one last big scene rather than 2 of them dying anti-climatically before the end. Good song too.

I hope next episode is just 5 minutes of Hibiki punching Adam and then the rest is her birthday party and a Tsubasa and Maria concert.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of hosed-up politics, I've kind of grown to adore how the season seems to be rolling with the Symphogears being the legacy of crazy nazi experiments that Hibiki is able to use for good simply because of how fundamentally good she is.

Hibiki is a hero.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hibiki is still basically the best and greatest character. Maybe in anything ever?!?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are we sure Hibiki isn't still a god? SONG's plan seemed to be to get her past her block so she could properly absorb the divine power.

That'll likely have repercussions for next season.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want one of them to pick up and use Saint Germaine's gun as an ongoing thing.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hibiki is still basically the best and greatest character. Maybe in anything ever?!?

She's pretty close! If she were the world's greatest (self-proclaimed) psychic as well as the world's greatest friend, she could get there.

She has the best attitude of any character ever, though!

Endorph posted:

tbh id take a slightly rushed conclusion over gx's which was interminable

Am I the only one who liked GX's conclusion fine? It was the middle of GX that dragged for me, I liked the end! I guess I'm easily amused by flashing lights & music (and X-Drive)

chumbler posted:

I want one of them to pick up and use Saint Germaine's gun as an ongoing thing.
Chris, now is your chance!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think GX's conclusion was perfectly fine and I quite liked it but I watched all of Symphogear 1 month before AXZ came out and if I saw it when it aired when the fate of the series was unknown I probably would have liked it to have been a more conclusive end to the series and to its characters.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GX's conclusion wasn't amazing, but it was sure better than its middle....

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The reason GX's ending feels oddly unsatisfying compared to every other season is that Miku didn't save the world.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 26, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I can't believe we might go 13 episodes without an X-Drive

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'm glad the alchemists got to do their thing, but I was hoping it would be more than just stopping a nuke, and that we'd get a bit more of their backstory, and that the still alive reveal wasn't so rushed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kylra posted:

I'm glad the alchemists got to do their thing, but I was hoping it would be more than just stopping a nuke, and that we'd get a bit more of their backstory, and that the still alive reveal wasn't so rushed.

My initial hypothesis on where the information on Gungnir being a god slaying weapon came from was that it was from Cagliostro and Prelati, but that was before that was busted in the same episode. I think it would've worked better my way, rather than some faceless guy who happened to work under the two astronauts from the first 5 minutes of GX who happened to have the documents that happened to be on the plane from the second episode.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

My initial hypothesis on where the information on Gungnir being a god slaying weapon came from was that it was from Cagliostro and Prelati, but that was before that was busted in the same episode. I think it would've worked better my way, rather than some faceless guy who happened to work under the two astronauts from the first 5 minutes of GX who happened to have the documents that happened to be on the plane from the second episode.

I liked it because it had been seasons since the idea of using songs to form connections with people from different countries had been a big part of Symphogear and that was a really good theme that I thought had been forgotten about and i'm glad it got some play. The fact that just some dudes from (I think?) America decided to help out and give useful info because the gang had not even really on purpose formed some bonds with them was cool and in a way a greater showcase of Hibiki's ability to join hands with anyone than her continued ability to become friends with all the villains not named Ver or Adam.

Prelati and Cagliostro should've still had more to do though, yeah. But alchemists are weird and have come back from the dead before so I am still just going to pretend that all the alchemists are ok and can return some day. Except Adam who will be punched into oblivion by Hibiki next ep.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked it because it had been seasons since the idea of using songs to form connections with people from different countries had been a big part of Symphogear and that was a really good theme that I thought had been forgotten about and i'm glad it got some play. The fact that just some dudes from (I think?) America decided to help out and give useful info because the gang had not even really on purpose formed some bonds with them was cool and in a way a greater showcase of Hibiki's ability to join hands with anyone than her continued ability to become friends with all the villains not named Ver or Adam.

Yeah, I thought that was rad. I like that the Symphogears were rewarded for going out of their way to save people. It's just a feel-good moment.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Plus I thought it was neat that it makes GX's best scene into slightly less of a complete non-sequitor.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of hosed-up politics, I've kind of grown to adore how the season seems to be rolling with the Symphogears being the legacy of crazy nazi experiments that Hibiki is able to use for good simply because of how fundamentally good she is.

Hibiki is a hero.

I wonder if next season is just the rest of the world coming to terms with the fact that "No, really, Hibiki is actually The Best Girl. Like, scientifically proven, fundamental law of the universe kind of thing. You can't stop this, so knock it off with this world domination bullshit."

And then aliens invade.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

GX's conclusion wasn't amazing, but it was sure better than its middle....

I actually liked the middle of GX better than its ending, though I thought the Maria vs. Galie at the beach episode was the best one besides the first ep (glares over at Endorph) so :shrug:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Julias posted:

I actually liked the middle of GX better than its ending, though I thought the Maria vs. Galie at the beach episode was the best one besides the first ep (glares over at Endorph) so :shrug:

I liked the part where Maria gave Elfnein some good mum advice over volleyball and then Elfnein repeated it for her but it is always supremely lame when there is a fight where the bad guy wants to lose especially if it's the last appearance of the bad dude so they never get a real defeat. The autoscorers just couldn't carry the ongoing plot with Carol gone and it weakens the show until she shows back up.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I agree with the first two parts, but nah, it was always clear that the autoscorers were getting poo poo done, and I enjoyed the individual character arcs that the show chose to focus on for these few episodes way more than the overarching plot of the season, which personally speaks to me as how lame of a villain Carol was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ending of gx was fine in and of itself but it lasted an episode too long and there were like 3 separate carol fight scenes in that finale. it felt very repetitive.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe watching week to week and having a new Carol fight each ep made it drag or something but watching it all at once I had few problems with GX's final stretch. But I thought Carol was a pretty solid villain so I was cool with how it went. Only problem I had was that Miku wasn't even present for the whole 3 episodes of final fight and that's an extremely big misstep. It kinda felt she was around for more episodes than in G (and AXZ too now I guess) just because Hibiki was dealing with lots of personal stuff so she'd get lots of appearances chatting to her about that, so it was just real lame that she was gone for the conclusion.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 26, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been catching up on this season and i just watched episode 10

i actually got slightly scared when it seemed like kirika was gonna die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

She did a shitload of drugs beforehand, so she's fine.

• Locked thread