Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cubivore_ posted:

Well, it didn't blow up.

Won it on Yahoo auctions for 1500 yen (about $13) and it's in great shape. Box is a little beat up but console looks new.

Always wanted to play Magic Knight Rayearth, so I got it and a few other things.

Looks ok using my lovely scart to hdmi upscaler

You found a cheap copy of that game on Yahoo auctions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Mill Village posted:

I wish. No, Just the console. Bought the game elsewhere for $300

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mill Village posted:

Cubivore_ posted:

Don't lie, the game was only 1000 yen, but the Buyee fees and reshipping ballooned it to that $300 figure.

At least, it's a pain I'm all too aware of right now, looking at my package queue :sigh: .

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cubivore_ posted:

drat, and I thought $150 was too much. It's really jumped up since I last checked.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mill Village posted:

drat, and I thought $150 was too much. It's really jumped up since I last checked.

Didn't it have three different versions and they each had a 1000 disc print run, all distributed in a chicken coop in western Pennsylvania?

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Don't lie, the game was only 1000 yen, but the Buyee fees and reshipping ballooned it to that $300 figure.

At least, it's a pain I'm all too aware of right now, looking at my package queue :sigh: .

I use FromJapan and their fees aren't too bad(?). Saturn was about $60 after domestic/international shipping and fees. Still cheaper than getting it on ebay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fishmech posted:

The extended answer as to the electricity is like this:

Japan's nominal voltage is 100 volt and the frequency is either 60 hz in the west and 50 hz in the east because of historic system reasons. Since Tokyo is in the 50 hz region but most of the other big cities are in the 60 hz region, all major consumer products can use either frequency.

Canada and America's nominal voltage is 120 volt and the frequency is always 60 hz now. In older times, there were actually several major areas that were on 50 hz like Los Angeles and Southern California in general, but those were all converted over by the 60s.

However, the actual power you get from the wall socket in Japan is going to vary from 90-115 volts or so, and thus most equipment since like the 70s is going to handle that range just fine. And similarly the actual wall power in the US is often 115 volt nominal and the actual supply out of the wall varies between 105 and 130 volts, with service between 110 and 115 volts being very popular, and service at above 120 volts being very rare.

So basically the kinds of manufacturing tolerances that consumer equipment needs to handle in Japan and the US usually means that equipment from one country runs just fine in the other. You generally only get into issues when using very high power equipment, like say old US high-watt incandescent lightbulbs might be noticeably dim in Japan, or a window air conditioner from the US might not be able to draw enough power to work properly in Japan. And things like electric heaters are not usually safe to bring back and forth.

Also incidentally, Mexico does 127 volt nominal output on the same plugs the US/Canada/Japan uses. Once again though it's usually not an issue for anything modern, both because of design tolerances and because of the fact that the supply is usually lower than the nominal voltage.

I know when I was in Tokyo I plugged my laptop into the wall and it was fine (with an adapter). I was a little worried because I don't think they have a ground port.... :ohdear: but it all worked out fine.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cubivore_ posted:

I use FromJapan and their fees aren't too bad(?). Saturn was about $60 after domestic/international shipping and fees. Still cheaper than getting it on ebay.

Looks like it could be comparable to Buyee, especially when you factor in the price of shipping within Japan that I think every forwarding service has you pay for when you make shipping arrangements.

They could have a leg up on Buyee, if they actually repack stuff when they consolidate, rather than throwing all your packed stuff into one big box and crumpling up some newspaper to fill in the gaps. But I kind of doubt that's the case.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm pretty sure that they just sell crumpled newspaper instead of air packs or styrofoam peanuts in Japan because I've never gotten an imported thing not wrapped in newspaper.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm pretty sure that they just sell crumpled newspaper instead of air packs or styrofoam peanuts in Japan because I've never gotten an imported thing not wrapped in newspaper.

They burn lots of trash, so they're probably desperate to find ways to get rid of paper that isn't burning it. There's probably some government subsidy for using what would otherwise get burned or some poo poo, like we have recycling programs.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Ghost Chaser Densei is a port of an arcade game called Denjin Makai and they had to cut out a lot of content for the port, so definitely check out the original arcade game (and the sequel which is just as good if not better). Even as hacked up as the port is, it really might be the best brawler on SNES/SFC.

If you want something weird, try Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou - it was made by the Cho Aniki people and it's not much fun to play but it's packed with goofy bullshit.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'll check that game out and the arcade versions of the brawler if I get a chance (may have to MAME it).

As for the BF deals, yes every year, 20% off, which for the SD2SNES is like $40 off. Well worth it, IMO.

Dude, you got a sweet Saturn in box for $13! WTF! Can you link this site? I can't find them that cheap in loving Japan.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

XtraSmiley posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'll check that game out and the arcade versions of the brawler if I get a chance (may have to MAME it).

As for the BF deals, yes every year, 20% off, which for the SD2SNES is like $40 off. Well worth it, IMO.

Dude, you got a sweet Saturn in box for $13! WTF! Can you link this site? I can't find them that cheap in loving Japan.

Cubivore_ posted:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Good luck fine goon. https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/auction/yahoo/input/t530272441/lgk-link_search

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
35,000$ PS1 collection for sale: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-city/playstation/ps1-playstation-1-collection/1160733082

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
okay now someone find me an 800 yen x68k :smith:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Cubivore_ posted:

Looks ok using my lovely scart to hdmi upscaler

Sega put some secret sauce in the Saturn's video encoder that its RGB is so good it'll make even the shittiest HDMI upscaler look like it's punching above its weight.

I have a pre-1chip SNES, a non-Tim RGB modded N64, and a Gen2 Saturn hooked up to a SCART switcher that feeds into a lovely $40 generic HDMI upscaler and the Saturn looks better than the other 2 on my Samsung TV by a considerable amount.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
This is from awhile back, but many thanks to the goon who recommended the VGMpire podcast. They give just enough short banter and back story to the tracks, and let the music take center stage. Wide variety of genre choices as well. :tipshat:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gross it's a PSone.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Guys, I've got my N64 up and running but it looks like hammered poo poo plugged through my DVD/VCR (using component) into my tv via Scart.
The VCR also has composite out, do you think it's worth trying to connect via composite to improve the image? I can't seem to get the console working straight into my TV I've tried using aerial/component and component into HDMI Upscaler any advice on achieving a better image without spending a tonne of money?

It's a UK console

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The N64 straight-up natively looks like hammered poo poo no matter what you do. Your SCART connection is probably already equivalent to composite so that's highly unlikely to improve things (and it wouldn't be a big change even if it did).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
PAL N64's also have no S-Video out, so have fun with that.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So PAL N64's are only capable of RF & Composite?

If they did have SCART cables, then did they just push out the equivalent of Composite through that connector?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I did six months in a Japanese Penal Camp for importing a Flash cart, ask me anything.

Can you use chopsticks?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

fishmech posted:

You generally only get into issues when using very high power equipment, like say old US high-watt incandescent lightbulbs might be noticeably dim in Japan, or a window air conditioner from the US might not be able to draw enough power to work properly in Japan. And things like electric heaters are not usually safe to bring back and forth.

Heh. You should see the reviews for US->JP step down transformers on Amazon. So many people whining that they blew up their transformers with Japanese heaters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone got a spare $2000USD for a mint-condition PAL copy of The Adventures of Batman and Robin for the Mega-CD?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They do, it's just hosed. Contrast is wonk, I think it's fixable with a mod though (a cap and resistor, Nintendo probably just removed them to cost cut).

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 26, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Guys, I've got my N64 up and running but it looks like hammered poo poo plugged through my DVD/VCR (using component) into my tv via Scart.
The VCR also has composite out, do you think it's worth trying to connect via composite to improve the image? I can't seem to get the console working straight into my TV I've tried using aerial/component and component into HDMI Upscaler any advice on achieving a better image without spending a tonne of money?

It's a UK console

If you can solder or have a buddy that'll do it for cheap you can get this for not too much: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=209&rn=548&action=show_detail

It'll add RGB to the N64 multi-out and let you disable the blurring that the N64's video chip did that makes the system look awful on good displays and HDTVs. You'd still be reliant on your TV's scaler but it would look better.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

If you can solder or have a buddy that'll do it for cheap you can get this for not too much: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=209&rn=548&action=show_detail

It'll add RGB to the N64 multi-out and let you disable the blurring that the N64's video chip did that makes the system look awful on good displays and HDTVs. You'd still be reliant on your TV's scaler but it would look better.

I've been thinking of doing this, all the places I've found so far are kinda pricey, and I can't do it myself I'm crap at soldering, I might grab one and see if one of the electrical shops locally will do it.
I've heard you can modify roms to remove the blurring for use with an everdrive which is what I'll be doing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Which is the best DS to get? I used to have a Lite, and I'm thinking of getting something to play DS games. 3DS and GBA support isn't relevant - I have a nice GBA and IIRC the 3DS screen resolution is different?

I'm thinking I should just find a DSi XL - any reason to get something different?

(is ds even retro)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Which is the best DS to get? I used to have a Lite, and I'm thinking of getting something to play DS games. 3DS and GBA support isn't relevant - I have a nice GBA and IIRC the 3DS screen resolution is different?

I'm thinking I should just find a DSi XL - any reason to get something different?

(is ds even retro)

Just get an n3DSXL if GBA games aren't a factor. You can set the resolution to original if you want and it'll black-border the excess screen space.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Black borders are what I'm trying to avoid. And stretching.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

(is ds even retro)

The main difference between the DS and DSi is, of course, its physical size, which does also have the gotcha that normal games and accessories going into the GBA slot will stick out (although there are "flush" versions of some flashcarts and accessories, which then means they won't fit in a DS or GBA).

The DSi XL doesn't have a GBA slot at all, but does have larger screens which are the "proper" DS resolution and AR and will give you the "best" large picture for regular DS games. I wouldn't bother with a regular DSi, personally.

You're right that a 3DS doesn't have the right screen resolution so images are stretched, although if you want pixel perfect there are buttons (I forget which) you can hold down while booting which will force the game to only partially use both screens but with 1:1 pixel conversion.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

(is ds even retro)

Fwiw I don't like how big the pixels are on the XL sizes and prefer the regular DSi. It's still slightly larger than the original and Lite screens.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

I've been thinking of doing this, all the places I've found so far are kinda pricey, and I can't do it myself I'm crap at soldering, I might grab one and see if one of the electrical shops locally will do it.
I've heard you can modify roms to remove the blurring for use with an everdrive which is what I'll be doing.

The N64 actually "blurs" games twice. Nintendo mandated that every game have anti-aliasing which can be turned off with codes or rom patches, but the N64's video processor itself also blurs the whole image in hardware. The only way to get rid of that is to bypass the video processor with an N64RGB board or UltraHDMI.

I already have a simple RGB mod and patching out the AA does enough for me so I haven't taken that extra step yet but the vaseline smear N64 look is definitely still there.

When I first got into RGB and poo poo I bought RGB kits for my SNES Mini and N64 with a Scart cable and cheap upscaler. I plugged the N64 in first and was massively disappointed and mad that I bought into this RGB garbage. Then I plugged in the SNES because I might as well make sure I didn't break it and lost my mind at how much better it looked. The N64 just really outputs garbage video.

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 26, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still exclusively play DS games on my Lite. I dislike any of the scaling on the 3DS and while normally I don't care about black borders, it's awkwardly implemented when you also have a touch screen to worry about.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

The N64 actually "blurs" games twice. Nintendo mandated that every game have anti-aliasing which can be turned off with codes or rom patches, but the N64's video processor itself also blurs the whole image in hardware. The only way to get rid of that is to bypass the video processor with an N64RGB board or UltraHDMI.

I already have a simple RGB mod and patching out the AA does enough for me so I haven't taken that extra step yet but the vaseline smear N64 look is definitely still there.

When I first got into RGB and poo poo I bought RGB kits for my SNES Mini and N64 with a Scart cable and cheap upscaler. I plugged the N64 in first and was massively disappointed and mad that I bought into this RGB garbage. Then I plugged in the SNES because I might as well make sure I didn't break it and lost my mind at how much better it looked. The N64 just really outputs garbage video.

I've watched a few videos on the HDMI mod, it's pretty incredible it's just a shame it's so drat expensive! One place I found was charging £180 on top of the cost of a board which you had to source yourself.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

eshock posted:

Fwiw I don’t like how big the pixels are on the XL sizes and prefer the regular DSi. It’s still slightly larger than the original and Lite screens.
Well, if there aren't any crippling design decisions I guess I'll have to find a store with both and see which I like more. Thanks anyway for helping me waste money.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can confirm the UltraHDMI is cool as hell; de-blur is how I play pretty much everything. In my case my hand was almost forced because for whatever reason my TV just hated the standard composite/s-video/RGB output of my N64, and had a consistent stutter/artifact appear every 10 seconds or so. I eventually determined it was because of the synch/refresh rate being off just enough, but there was not much I could do outside of forcing it to 60Hz (which caused some issues of its own) or take the plunge on an UltraHDMI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

(is ds even retro)

In a weird way, I like the good old DS fat. The Lite has major problems with the hinge and even though fatty is bulkier, it's more durable. Also, it uses the GBA power cable so it's one less thing to plug in.

• Locked thread