Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Kenny Logins posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
Looks like we finally need something bigger than an 8GB stick to make the bootable installation disk (now it's 12GB).

Uh, I used an 8 GB partition on my Lexar JumpDrive 64 GB and it worked just fine now. Posting from build 17A365, the final from the App Store. Only 5 GB of that 8 seems to be used..

BTW, if you use Mac Fans Control, be sure to download the latest version, 1.4.8.1, older versions will give you some stupid error message asking for the app to be moved to /Applications.

Kinda figures they'd give iMovie HEVC compatibility before Final Cut, eh? Upgrade is 10.1.7 in the App Store.

Also if you use Movist, upgrade to v.1.4.2 in the App Store.

Finally I can see all those HEIC jpgs in the Finder..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Binary Badger posted:

Uh, I used an 8 GB partition on my Lexar JumpDrive 64 GB and it worked just fine now. Posting from build 17A365, the final from the App Store. Only 5 GB of that 8 seems to be used..

BTW, if you use Mac Fans Control, be sure to download the latest version, 1.4.8.1, older versions will give you some stupid error message asking for the app to be moved to /Applications.

Kinda figures they'd give iMovie HEVC compatibility before Final Cut, eh? Upgrade is 10.1.7 in the App Store.

Also if you use Movist, upgrade to v.1.4.2 in the App Store.

Finally I can see all those HEIC jpgs in the Finder..
Cool cool. I was just saying what the support article says.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eames posted:

That's, uh, surprisingly bad. Is there a technical explanation for the lower bandwidth/higher latency or is it just a lack of optimization?

Also, isn't HFS+ way worse than say, NTFS in performance in the first place?

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Hey all, how long did your installations take? Been at least an hour and 10 minutes now on a 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro with touch bar. At what point do I try to force a restart and try again?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

eames posted:

That's, uh, surprisingly bad. Is there a technical explanation for the lower bandwidth/higher latency or is it just a lack of optimization?

Those numbers are from a few betas ago. It's kind of a stupid comparison.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

birds posted:

Hey all, how long did your installations take? Been at least an hour and 10 minutes now on a 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro with touch bar. At what point do I try to force a restart and try again?
On a clean install from boot disk USB mine took about a half hour, on a 2013 MBA 13".

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

birds posted:

macOS installs, especially upgrade installs, sometimes take forever for no good reason. I wouldn't force a restart. Let it keep spinning. You could always open up the console to see what's up, as far as I know that should still be an option?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I just installed, made sure I had multiple backups, and everything's looking OK so far. :thumbsup: Only weirdness is that Creative Cloud forgot that Photoshop was installed so I just reinstalled it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Anyone play with the High Sierra Content Caching feature? I enabled it since I have multiple iOS and MacOS devices in my household, but I'm not seeing any Bonjour announcements (which is how I assume it tells clients that it exists) and the cache isn't growing...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

birds posted:

Mine was about 41 minutes, but I have a modified Late 2013 rMBP with a 512 GB Samsung 951 plus adapter, not the Apple SSD.

It's gotta do a firmware flash and then migrate the filesystem from HFS+ to APFS, if you have a lot of files, or a lot of big files, or a huge iTunes library, it may take longer. I always keep my iTunes folder on a big external drive and not have it connected during system upgrades.

I would just let it keep going, be assured it is doing something while that drat thermometer just stays still almost all the time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Mine was about 41 minutes, but I have a modified Late 2013 rMBP with a 512 GB Samsung 951 plus adapter, not the Apple SSD.

It's gotta do a firmware flash and then migrate the filesystem from HFS+ to APFS, if you have a lot of files, or a lot of big files, or a huge iTunes library, it may take longer. I always keep my iTunes folder on a big external drive and not have it connected during system upgrades.

I would just let it keep going, be assured it is doing something while that drat thermometer just stays still almost all the time.

Do you use anything like Dropbox sync or OneDrive sync?

Did you do anything special in regards to them, or did those come through fine?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just set mine off in TeamViewer, and came home from work to the latest and greatest. Can't be bothered with all that staring at progress bars.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

It's been 4 hours now. It's about time to go to sleep so I'll just let it go overnight. Ordinarily I'd restart it. Seems like other people are having the same problem over on the MacRumors forum.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I can't tell the difference. The Siri icon looks different but I never use Siri. Safari seems to run smoother which is great. I also like be able to pin a note to the top in Notes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

airplay mirroring in macOS has dramatically improved for me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Scrolling performance in the Applications stack is much better. 10/10 Would update again etc etc

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Choadmaster posted:

You missed literally the best part, which is that it’s a very flexible container that can hold all sorts of auxiliary data. I know Apple is putting the depth map from the dual-camera systems in there. They’ll be able to do Live Photos as a single file, though I have t checked if they do. Ditto with an entire burst of photos with burst mode, or all the component photos (along with the final) for an HDR shot.

QuickTime .mov is back, baby!

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
[quote="“Last Chance”" post="“476770355”"]
airplay mirroring in macOS has dramatically improved for me
[/quote]

What are you mirroring? Your computer to an Apple TV?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
I upgraded to High Sierra. A bunch of my documents/media have the com.apple.quarantine attribute set and it doesn't clear when the file is opened. Opening a large movie file has a noticeable delay and a "Verifying.." dialog for a few seconds every time.

I know I can clear the attribute with xattr for files I know are safe, but the problem seems to also be happening with newly downloaded files. Can anyone else verify that this is an issue for them and not a random quirk of my particular upgrade?

Also, the Ars review claims there is software HEVC playback in High Sierra for older machines. I'm not seeing it on my 2013 rMBP (Quicktime and quicklook aren't reading them). Am I missing something?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Biodome posted:

I'm hoping it helps me with my Apple TV issue. Which is that the Apple TV always, always loses its AirPlay connection to my MacBook Pro after I come home from work and wake up the laptop from sleep. It never rediscovers the computer on its own. I have to reboot the Apple TV to get it to find it again. Restarting iTunes doesn't help, only rebooting the Apple TV. Every day.

It's been like this for several software revisions on the Apple TV now, so I don't have much hope, but..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone with their machine bound to an Active Directory domain upgraded to High Sierra yet? I'm wondering if it's going to gently caress up the domain membership. I have a corporate laptop and some leeway with what I do with it but it's joined to the domain and I don't really want to leave it with IT for a day just to re-bind.

Also my un-bound iMac desktop is sitting at 40 minutes but it has a fusion drive. All this time I thought the long wait was APFS conversion but I guess not (?) as it's about the same time frame as all my pure-SSD machines.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fordan posted:

Anyone play with the High Sierra Content Caching feature? I enabled it since I have multiple iOS and MacOS devices in my household, but I'm not seeing any Bonjour announcements (which is how I assume it tells clients that it exists) and the cache isn't growing...

turned it on when i read about it in the ars review and it seems to just work™ for me

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Biodome posted:

Yes

Data Graham posted:

I'm hoping it helps me with my Apple TV issue. Which is that the Apple TV always, always loses its AirPlay connection to my MacBook Pro after I come home from work and wake up the laptop from sleep. It never rediscovers the computer on its own. I have to reboot the Apple TV to get it to find it again. Restarting iTunes doesn't help, only rebooting the Apple TV. Every day.

It's been like this for several software revisions on the Apple TV now, so I don't have much hope, but..

I left AirPlay Mirroring on by accident when I left to run some errands and when I came back a few hours later it was still chugging along!

Generic Monk posted:

turned it on when i read about it in the ars review and it seems to just work™ for me
Same, my cache is now 4gb

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 26, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I'm hoping it helps me with my Apple TV issue

Were you in the middle of using AirPlay when you put the device to sleep?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Also, the Ars review claims there is software HEVC playback in High Sierra for older machines. I'm not seeing it on my 2013 rMBP (Quicktime and quicklook aren't reading them). Am I missing something?

I can load HEIC jpgs in Preview, and now I notice that HEIC files in Finder sporadically lose their ability to be previewed in Finder. "OS rot," as some would say.

HEVC videos recorded at 4K on my iPhone 7 couldn't play in QuickTime Player or QuickTime Player 7 before the HS upgrade. They could play in Movist and VLC, although at slow framerates.

After the HS upgrade, HEVC videos recorded on my phone at 4K could play in QuickTime Player, not QuickTime Player 7 (cause its based on older APIs, it begs for codecs to be installed.)

In some circumstance, QuickTime Player played back the HEVC video at full speed, even though I only have an old and creaking 13-inch rMBP, Movist and VLC could only play at cripple speed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a list of apps that aren't compatible with APFS?

Is it worth upgrading for the graphics performance increases alone? Both my MBPr and MBr have integrated graphics and I spend a lot of time plugged into a 2560x1440 monitor

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

like most (all? i don't use quicktime player) h264 encoded media it still has to be in an mp4 container, so if you're trying to play mkvs or something quicktime and the related system apis still won't read those.

Bob Morales posted:

Is it worth upgrading for the graphics performance increases alone? Both my MBPr and MBr have integrated graphics and I spend a lot of time plugged into a 2560x1440 monitor

even stuff with a ton of legacy cruft like adobe apps have been updated to work out kinks with apfs; the only practical difference i've noticed is that if you use apps like carbon copy cloner or superduper then the apfs support, while extant, is not as full featured as with HFS, though the new version of CCC is more or less at feature parity.

the graphics performance increases are pretty much entirely in the window server - i run a mac mini with hd3000 graphics connected to a 1440p monitor and the improvement is subtle but palpable. stuff like opening up large stacks on the dock or mission control don't drop frames under normal, non-insane use any more. launchpad still feels a bit laggy on occasion, though it's hard for me to separate actual dropped frames from the general weird choppy feeling inputs that you seem to get when you use launchpad with a mouse and keyboard. i'm using almost the highest res screen that this thing will support on a comparatively weak (even compared to the very next iteration) graphics chip, so i'm like a prime candidate to feel any kind of improvement that this brings, and it's nice but nothing to write home about. it was pretty smooth before and it's slightly smoother now.

there is some talk that this windowserver rewrite has brought in a few bugs and the ars review guy was adamant that he was able to get apps like finder to artifact to gently caress pretty reliably. i haven't really experienced anything like this; the only strange stuff i've seen was some choppiness and artifacting in image scaling animations in tweetbot and telegram that instantly stopped when those apps got their high sierra update. ymmv tho.

it's honestly fine tbh; you probably won't do yourself any harm installing it but then again the user facing changes are so minor that you can wait for a point release and not feel like you're missing out at all. what i'm trying to say is go with your heart. unless it's your work computer in which case do a bit of research and probably wait even though you'll probably be fine.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 26, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I'd just peruse the MacRumors thread about High Sierra compatibility:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-high-sierra-10-13-works-does-not-work-thread.2048660/

Can't guarantee that it comes down to the file system, but that's where I'd start browsing for compatibility issues.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I would guess only really file system heavy apps like your Carbon Copy Cloners/Super Duper/Disk Warrior-like apps would have any issue, otherwise most apps shouldn't know or care what the file system is, right?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

I would guess only really file system heavy apps like your Carbon Copy Cloners/Super Duper/Disk Warrior-like apps would have any issue, otherwise most apps shouldn't know or care what the file system is, right?

No, Little Snitch 3 and 4 needed a patch for HS compatibility and as far as I know it doesn't even touch the file system. Same for Macs Fan Control.

My feeling is if a dev minded their p's and q's and strictly followed Apple guidelines they don't need patching. However there are times when you might find you can't..

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

My feeling is if a dev minded their p's and q's and strictly followed Apple guidelines they don't need patching. However there are times when you might find you can't..

And avoid charging for a new version every time OSX updates? Ha

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

[quote="“Proteus Jones”" post="“476765160”"]
Do you use anything like Dropbox sync or OneDrive sync?

Did you do anything special in regards to them, or did those come through fine?
[/quote]

Dropbox and it seems like everything is fine, crossing fingers..

To expand on what Generic Monk said, some of the benefits of increased speed may also come from optimization of the Intel HD/Iris drivers.. from observing the Windows side it seems that Intel gets a lot of poo poo for their first generation drivers, but at least they do bother to play catch up.

For example, Intel has released updated Windows drivers for HD 3000/4000 chips and up that will enable h.265 hardware acceleration in Windows 8 and up.. I'd be willing to bet MacOS is seeing the benefits of that now, sans the h.265 stuff- at Apple's direct command. Can't let the old hardware show up the new.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 26, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

well Little Snitch installs a kext and High Sierra changed how kexts are loaded so at least they get a pass

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

No, Little Snitch 3 and 4 needed a patch for HS compatibility and as far as I know it doesn't even touch the file system. Same for Macs Fan Control.

yeah, it is pretty hard for a dev to dot all their Is and Ts with apps like those that require deepish integration with the system as apple does like to gently caress about with security stuff, kexts etc in even the most minor of updates. if you rely on anything like that i would expect it to take a poo poo until it's patched

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

The app might need an update for High Sierra compatibility, sure, but the question was about APFS specifically.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Not sure if this should go here or in the iPhone/iPad/iOS apps thread, but ever since upgrading my iPod touch to iOS11, iTunes bounces its dock icon at me every few minutes (a bouncing iTunes dock icon is never good news) and says:

iTunes posted:

iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch “Huygens” because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPod touch before it can be used with iTunes.

If I actually go unlock the iPod, it shuts up for a few hours. If I cancel, it comes back in a few minutes to ask again. This is pretty annoying, to say the least, since I've been able to control iPods wirelessly for years without having to do that. Any ideas?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Luceo posted:

Not sure if this should go here or in the iPhone/iPad/iOS apps thread, but ever since upgrading my iPod touch to iOS11, iTunes bounces its dock icon at me every few minutes (a bouncing iTunes dock icon is never good news) and says:

If I actually go unlock the iPod, it shuts up for a few hours. If I cancel, it comes back in a few minutes to ask again. This is pretty annoying, to say the least, since I've been able to control iPods wirelessly for years without having to do that. Any ideas?

maybe try toggling wifi sync on and off?

e: does anyone find safari's treatment of tab names kind of annoying? you know, when it decides to remove words from tab titles? i'm pretty sure it's just trying to remove leading instances of 'the' and duplicate words to try and make it easier to differentiate tabs, but is there any way to turn it off?

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 26, 2017

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

The app might need an update for High Sierra compatibility, sure, but the question was about APFS specifically.

Can't really say for sure, but I can tell you DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro definitely aren't, simply because Apple hasn't released detailed technical documentation necessary for understanding its low-level architecture for it.

Here's a handy table of apps compatibility that's been posted here before, updated for High Sierra.

https://roaringapps.com/apps?platform=osx

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Binary Badger posted:

Can't really say for sure, but I can tell you DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro definitely aren't, simply because Apple hasn't released detailed technical documentation necessary for understanding its low-level architecture for it.

Here's a handy table of apps compatibility that's been posted here before, updated for High Sierra.

https://roaringapps.com/apps?platform=osx

Appleworks... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
/r/macos is a good preview of what you might run into if you upgrade the .0 version of High Sierra.