Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ugh. It is like they took the Next Generation movies, added a ton of money so that everything looks amazing, and made it darker and more edgy.
Like putting the most amazing lemon glaze on a pile of dog poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

orville has dick and vagina jokes constantly, was created by seth mcfarlane, and it has better acting and character development than std

lmao cbs

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im gay

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Two episodes and saw a lot of Klingons (kinda), but none of them drank anything. Also they're not rowdy and fun. Klingons are rowdy and fun.

These Klingons are what Worf thinks a Klingon is.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Thank you for the glimpse at what the Negus got to see when he sampled all of Quark's holosuite programs.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The General posted:

These Klingons are what Worf thinks a Klingon is.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, is that the sort of hi-jinx people get up to in them thar holo-suites?

Golly gee!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
computer, create an rear end to defeat data

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

corn in the bible posted:

computer, create an rear end to defeat data

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Yandat posted:

it can be serious and grim at points but ds9 had hella campy episodes too, when it wasn't taking on issues like genocide, torture and war crimes

even in the episode where sisko basically committed multiple murders through his proxy tailor-assassin, it was still campy AF with it's a FAAAAAKE and avery brooks being avery brooks

its impossible to point to an episode of ds9 with sisko in it and not go 'this is campy af'

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I loved Discovery. It was just as great as the new Trek films, which are also a very good fun time. I really want to see more! Also it's awesome that the lead is not the captain but the other side of Spock. I started thinking she was very logical and cold, and then the little reveal that she was Sarek's ward and learnt things on Vulcan all clicked.

I think the reason the computer voice wasn't Majel Barret's was because the Captain says it's a really old ship as the reason to why they are using those orangey transporters. I bet the USS Discovery itself will have a different voice.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Clawtopsy posted:

even in the episode where sisko basically committed multiple murders through his proxy tailor-assassin, it was still campy AF with it's a FAAAAAKE and avery brooks being avery brooks

its impossible to point to an episode of ds9 with sisko in it and not go 'this is campy af'

Let's not forget the Magnificent Ferengi which dealt with concepts such as:

1) The Ferengi have assassins which are hired to murder their business rivals
2) The kidnapping of people's mothers by a brutal and unforgiving alien race
3) Exchanging a prisoner of war back to brutal and unforgiving alien race in exchange for a bartender's mother despite the fact you know they will figure out what the prisoner gave away as intel and then execute him.
4) Relying in your 16 year old nephew to be the only sensible one because he's a cadet and everyone else you brought on this deadline adventure is mostly woefully under qualified (except the assassin)
5) When you accidentally kill a prisoner of war because you're incompetent, best to use future technology to reanimate his corpse in order to trick the other side into making the exchange

Despite all that the episode is one of the most fun and campy episodes going.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i'm just so mad that there's two new star trek shows on that are both very watchable and better than voyager and s1-3 of enterprise

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I liked TNG and DS9 a lot, as well as the three recent movies. Discovery is really fun so far and I'm excited to see how it'll pan out with season-long arcs. It's also probably the best looking TV show ever made.

Dunno why people are having pissfest over it. I guess we need to post that Onion article about "Fans slam new Star Trek as fun and accessible".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are the Space ISIS klingons better than the Jem'Hadar? Those guys remain the best pure warrior species Star Trek did. Space rhino dino aliens who actually look like professional military.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

well why not posted:

I liked TNG and DS9 a lot, as well as the three recent movies. Discovery is really fun so far and I'm excited to see how it'll pan out with season-long arcs. It's also probably the best looking TV show ever made.

Dunno why people are having pissfest over it. I guess we need to post that Onion article about "Fans slam new Star Trek as fun and accessible".

The Orville is fun, I didn't see much fun in the new Trek. I guess logic debates with the computer are fun, but not under those circumstances.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I just think they should have

A) Said it was set in the JJ Abrams time line (whatever its called) which explains differences in technology, Klingons, and the fact the crew is more diverse in like 2200 than it is in 2400 or whatever.

Or

B) Set it in the future (i.e after Nemesis) which explains the tech differences and then make the Klingons an entirely new race which was traditionally isolationist but is reacting to the fact that after Nemesis the Federation as basically the undisputed power in the galaxy and everyone is becoming more like the Federation.

If it was me I would have ripped off Mass Effect Andromeda's concept and had this be the first exploration mission to another galaxy, and have the first half of the season meeting new relatively friendly people and have the second half be this conflict with a race desperate to protect its self identity.

Since the Federation has already basically subjegated one galaxy into its "peaceful" ideals it would feel like the bad guys actually have a point: They just don't want to become "Federation Galaxy 2".

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kitchner posted:

If it was me I would have ripped off Mass Effect Andromeda's concept and had this be the first exploration mission to another galaxy, and have the first half of the season meeting new relatively friendly people and have the second half be this conflict with a race desperate to protect its self identity.

I get what you're saying, but compared to a kicking rad space battle and ship destruction, this would be super boring.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

well why not posted:

I get what you're saying, but compared to a kicking rad space battle and ship destruction, this would be super boring.

Not if you have crazy awesome aliens and special effects poo poo going on to make sure to audience actually gives a poo poo about all the new aliens and then you threaten them with badass warrior dudes.

Actually the more I think about this the more it's just Stargate: Atlantis

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I watched half of the first episode and turned it off because I had discovered bored. This will not be a hit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ship should have hardwood flooring

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I hope there's a bunch of spacewalk bat'leth fights, because the torchbearer's baller EV suit was the polar opposite of all the other retarded Klingon costumes.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I just watched The Orville and I see what people mean when they say it is more trek than STD

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Was OK.
I liked the lead actress.
Klingons look like generic evil aliens now and the scenes where they spoke Klingon just didn't sound like people talking - it was all very stop-start.
Theme tune's kinda nothing. Sounds like it was made by an algorithm. I was irrationally irritated that it starts with the classic chimes but only the first 2 and then it's wrong. Wrong.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Yeah, theme song is weird. There's no lift or excitement to it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah I thought it was pretty boring too. Netflix lets me skip 'em anyways.

Still, at least it's not Faith Of The Heart, so yeah.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Olewithmilk posted:

Yeah, theme song is weird. There's no lift or excitement to it.

Quiet you fool that's how we got Faith of the Heart plus bow chicka bow bow

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The theme song and titles remind of Westworld

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It just occurred to me and I love the idea, of Harry Kim after being debriefed and given a leave of absence, finally gets assigned to a new ship as helmsman, and his direct superior and second officer is Lt. Cmdr Nog, a loving Ferengi who is like 21 years old. Kim is 36 and still an ensign.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It just occurred to me and I love the idea, of Harry Kim after being debriefed and given a leave of absence, finally gets assigned to a new ship as helmsman, and his direct superior and second officer is Lt. Cmdr Nog, a loving Ferengi who is like 21 years old. Kim is 36 and still an ensign.

I'd watch that.

Geordi should also be chief engineer, 50 and married to Data's second daughter that he had built to keep Geordi company as he can't keep women interested.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Geordi, every time you touch my power core, you're touching me!

I know, Eve! It's a part of you, saying that when I touch it in touching you is a given. Do you not want me to touch it? Is that what you're saying?

No Geordie, I was trying to be romantic. Was I killing the mood?

Uh, no sweetie, but look, I have to go do some holodeck... maintenance. Why don't you recharge for a while?

I heard nothing about holodeck maintenance!

Well it's on the schedule... But You Don't Have To Take My Word For It. Dah dun dun!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I caught the first half of STD last night :pervert: and I enjoyed it. There's nothing worse about it than you could say about at least one of the other Treks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kitchner posted:

I just watched The Orville and I see what people mean when they say it is more trek than STD

they mean that it's more like TNG

"not my trek" :qq: is easily the most common complaint against discovery

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Orville has a sentient green blob that grows a dick

It is voiced by Norm McDonald

if you have a problem with norm, I invite you to get the gently caress out

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
dem std klingons

:ironicat:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Klingons are dumb but the show was good and better than voyager/enterprise so far. my only issue is that first 2 episodes felt like the ending of season 1 rather than the start.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
CBS to Trek fans: You've been Rhonda'd

revolther
May 27, 2008

Kitchner posted:

A) Said it was set in the JJ Abrams time line (whatever its called) which explains differences in technology, Klingons, and the fact the crew is more diverse in like 2200 than it is in 2400 or whatever.

B) Set it in the future, in another galaxy, blah blah blah...
It basically has to be set in the "Kelvin" timeline because they've stated that Shenzhen(?) is an old model ship without the newest features (old style transporters) but it's technology outpaces DS9 with it's holographic comms displays. The tech not lining up is more important than klingon head ridges lining up.

The Trek lore has established that the four quadrants of the milky way galaxy are so expansive and huge that all of the federation space is merely in the alpha quadrant with tons more to explore, and the delta/gamma/beta? quadrants are like 70 years of travel at the fastest warp minimum. That kind of technological jump would really take trek out of the realm of something we recognize all together. Maybe the three nacell enterprise was doing it in the futurey tng episode, but it would be bullshit regardless.

Plus the writer's would lose the ability to just have instantly believable space lore, having access to a bunch of stars already charted and named for you has probably gone a long way towards lending this goofy franchise some credibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

revolther posted:

It basically has to be set in the "Kelvin" timeline because they've stated that Shenzhen(?) is an old model ship without the newest features (old style transporters) but it's technology outpaces DS9 with it's holographic comms displays. The tech not lining up is more important than klingon head ridges lining up.

The Trek lore has established that the four quadrants of the milky way galaxy are so expansive and huge that all of the federation space is merely in the alpha quadrant with tons more to explore, and the delta/gamma/beta? quadrants are like 70 years of travel at the fastest warp minimum. That kind of technological jump would really take trek out of the realm of something we recognize all together. Maybe the three nacell enterprise was doing it in the futurey tng episode, but it would be bullshit regardless.

Plus the writer's would lose the ability to just have instantly believable space lore, having access to a bunch of stars already charted and named for you has probably gone a long way towards lending this goofy franchise some credibility.

Their holographic comms displays were lovely, low res, and glitchy however. It's not a particularly advanced technology. We could do it now, it would just be expensive. DS9's had crystal clarity and no hiccups, they were just lame.

Nothing in Discovery was more advanced than anything of the TOS timeline in terms of capability, it just looked more modern aesthetically.