Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

Omobono posted:

Out of curiosity (and I'm not trying to defend the mouthbreather here), as someone that never played 3 what are you supposed to do there? Null charm accessories on your diarahan users?

Or I guess using one Dis-Charm potion out of the 99 the mouthbreather had in his inventory.

Both really since Charm really sucks and you usually don't want anyone Charmed. You can get Null Charm on the MCs Personas as an alternative to accessories but that might be not work out since you can't directly control anyone but the MC (unless you're playing the re-release) and switching to a Persona without Charm Null risks leaving you Charmed and with no control period until it wears off. At this point though, ailments have long since reared their head as a major problem and you should have a way of dealing with them if you're not a mouthbreather.

EDIT: I haven't play P3 in forever and don't remember if Null Charm accessories exist so I might be at least partially talking outta my rear end here

AccidentalHipster fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, guys! No hard feelings, right? Hehe, of course not. I was obviously kidding, duh. Just ignore all that weird poo poo I said, because none of it was true! Isn’t that convenient?

Well, I’d post an update, but between some real-life circumstances I won’t get into, and lasting trauma from the last time I tried to clear out the Palace, I’m afraid I just didn’t get around to capturing any new footage. I’ll be sure to get around to it… oh, sometime in the next month. Welp, bye!

Wait… what the hell is this?

Dare I?

Well, that’s not happening. Wait… Hm… Yes… I’m being informed that I have to do it, or I’m grounde—Uh, never mind, let’s just… *sigh* ...Let’s just get this over with.

What foul secrets might this document contain?

Oh god.

Part 57: 6/25: I Have No Idea What The gently caress Either

The first thing I notice before even opening MY VIDEO.mp4 is that yes, Ari seems to have put at least another three hours on the clock and gotten Maaku to level 26. I have yet to decipher the cryptic details of “READ THSI,” however. Whether he actually managed to clear the dungeon has yet to be seen; he could just as easily have spent three hours running around fighting Shadows. Does Ari think that “beating the game” entails finishing this Palace, or just leaving it? It’s too early too call, so further analysis will have to follow at a later date.

On the plus side, he was courteous enough to rotate the save file.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Once we actually start digging into this “update,” the first thing Ari does is a lot of fusion, starting with Suzaku from Pixie and Inugami.

The burning light that illuminates the future is now your new mask…

Suzaku is one of the four symbols of the Chinese constellation, representing fire, the direction south, and summer.

Ari wrote some… commentary of his own that I am obligated to include. It will be denoted through italicized quotes.

”From what I saw of my brother’s other tries he was getting killed by fire a lot so I picked something that couldn’t get hit by fire. I don’t know what most of these skills do but they seem cool.”

Stunning logic.

Next, this Orobas from Kushi Mitama and Mokoi.

I’ll become your mask and show you the truth of the future you want.

Orobas is one of the 72 demons of the Goetia, known as the Prince of Hell who answers questions about the past, present, and future.

”I like horses.”

Me mysterious. Now me new mask. Nice meet you.

”I wish I could talk like this guy. Seems easier.”

Nue is a legendary monster in Japanese mythology with the head of a monkey, the arms and legs of a tiger, the body of a raccoon dog and a snake for a tail. I’m not quite sure I see the resemblance.

This guy will be useful when we dance with the Angels.

Now, it’s time to head back in. I’d like to see how he deals with Oni’s Rampage spam.

Music: Last Surprise

What is he—oh.

I honestly never considered doing this.

”Despair is useful because it gives the enemies crippling depression, draining their mental strength (SP) and preventing them from acting! My mom says this is what my brother has, and this seems pretty accurate.”

Ignore that, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Well, that’s dark.

”After three turns, a foe with despair will succumb and die! Cool!”

I should probably talk to someone about this kid.

Here’s Makoto’s All-out Attack finisher. It’s pretty alright.

Music: Price

But look. It says, “No entry by unauthorized personnel.”

Oh goddammit he got bored and messed with my portraits

That just makes me want to go in more! Isn’t there anything we can do?

There’s another entrance in the form of a vent around the corner.

That Shadow’s in our way… What should we do, Joker?

\

”This fight is a joke”

When he’s right, he’s right. It’s four Orobases and it’s simple enough I’ve even dispensed with the usual video.

Music: Suspicion

This appears to be some kind of monitoring room. I hope we can find clues in here...

Hey guys, I think I found something! Ain’t this some kinda keycard?

I’d bet that’s where the Treasure is...

Unless we can obtain another map, we won’t know for certain.

It would probably make sense to head there first…
Shall we go on that elevator we found earlier then?
That should be our last resort. First, let’s see if there is anywhere to use this keycard.
Oh! Didn’t we pass by a door we couldn’t open on the way here?
Yeah, let’s go check it out!

Next, Ari tries to leave, but the exit is still closed off.

Hm, we may be able to use this in other places as well.

Music: Aria of the Soul

”I talked to the girl and she wanted this guy with… Magaru? Well, I got a Nekomata in the dungeon, and it knows that skill! I’m not sure why everything has such weird names in this game though.”

Instead of exploring further, Ari has chosen to return to the Velvet Room and fuse the Matador we need for the Strength Confidant using Nekomata and High Pixie.

This body of mine, born from the bloody throes of battle, shall be with you as a mask from now on.

Matador is just a matador. Not even like, a specific one.

Matador needing Magaru is a sly reference to Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, where Matador was a boss fight who would use Mazan (Nocturne uses Force instead of Wind) to push your poo poo in.

“I LIKE THE SKULLMAN”

That too.

So, you’ve brought us another Persona we asked for.
This is a Matador with the skill Magaru… I have verified it. That completes your current assignment...

What did he dooooo

It is to be expected of the human our master saw potential in.
You’re dedicated, I’ll give you that. Just keep it up, all right?

That is a fine attitude to have.
Talk’s cheap though. You’re gonna have to put your money where your mouth is. I’ve gotta say, Justine, it’s an accomplishment that he hasn’t thrown in the towel yet.

That task list you wrote. It’s not only keeping him on his toes, but helping him improve too.
Hm…? I am not the one who wrote it.

I had always assumed it was you...
What!? I don’t know anything about that thing.
...I suppose now that I consider it, that list is far too precise for you to have written it.

But wait… Who wrote it then? It wasn’t our master, was it?
No. I have not heard him mention anything of the sort… How long have we had this list…?

Just keep quiet and focus on finishing your tasks, Inmate!
Caroline, should we consult with our master about this?

All our master told us to do is oversee the rehabilitation, and it’s our duty to follow orders. We shouldn’t waste his time on something this pointless.
...Indeed. It does not matter who thought of the list.

Of course, we will continue to offer benefits to you if you can further fulfill our tasks. All that we ask is that you work hard in the duty you are assigned. ...We shall do the same.
I feel like my bond with Caroline and Justine is growing deeper…

”I don’t know what any of this conversation means, but I wanted them to be eyepatch buddies.”

Lockdown is interesting. We’ll go into what exactly it is later.

You may now place a Persona into Lockdown and train it to learn new skills.
While you’re lazily wasting away, your Persona’s gonna grow all on its own. Talk about hospitality! ...Anyway, time for your next task! According to the list, it’s… uh… What is it, Justine?
The next task is...

One more thing… the next privilege we provide for you will unlock great power. Therefore, we will need you to fulfill two more tasks before we can hand it over to you.
*chuckle* The world’s not so easy, is it!? First up, bring us a Flauros that has Tarukaja!
As always, speak to us once you have obtained it. We will know if the deed is done. Am I clear?

Back in the palace, Ryuji finally learns Mazio.

”I like pirates a lot. We learned about them in social studies and they’re really cool! Ryuji’s the best!”

Accurate.

Yeah, it has to be the one they’re controlling externally. So this is right above it…
So what, this is the control room or something? What’s the point of comin’ here?

Perceptive as usual, Joker. We should be able to ride on top of the elevator.
I see. We sneak atop it, then wait for it to move on its own.
It does sound like that plan will take us further down.
All right, let’s get on there!

Is that Kaneshiro…!?

”I don’t like the scary purple man! He looks like Hitler!”

...Huh, I guess I kinda see the resemblance. It’s nothing compared to this, though:

It seems painfully obvious where the Treasure is now...
But the map from earlier doesn’t show that much… I wonder if there’s another one somewhere.
In any case, heading down should be the best move. Let’s keep our eyes out for a map while we explore!

Up ahead, Ari finds our first safe room.

Joker, can’t you use your observation skills to see the camera’s range? Make sure it doesn’t catch sight of us!

You can see the camera’s range with Third Eye, as per usual.

What’s wrong, Joker?
Is that a device of some kind? Let’s go check it out.

The word “camera” is written on it...
Oh, this must be for the surveillance cameras! Let’s destroy it, Joker!

Nice kick!

A swift kick...

...turns the cameras off.

Ohhh, I get it! We can break this poo poo to kill the cameras!

Further ahead, there are two cameras blocking the way.

Ari kicks one power box, turning off the first camera.

And now the second.

Morgana learns Me Patra (Patra but multi-target) and Yusuke learns Counter (10% chance to reflect Physical attacks).

Further ahead, there’s a honeypot. Ignoring Makoto’s warning will cause you to run smack-dab into view of the cameras.

Kicking the power box around the corner solves that problem.

Finally, using the keycard here allows you to unlock a shortcut back to the safe room.

I’d love to say this weird bullshit was over, but, well…

”That’s all for today! I’ve got the rest ready, but I’ll save it for later. So long for now!

Also I drew this shark I hope you like it”

*sigh* What he said. See you chumps later. I’m gonna go rethink all of this.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Awww, thanks, Ari! I like sharks and skullmen too! :3:

(I also like Makoto's finisher, because she sometimes hollers out "FISTS OF JUSTICE!" and it's kind of the greatest thing ever :allears: but you don't really get that without audio for the picture)

What I don't really like is this Palace, especially if you try to do it all in one day. It's not quite the slog that Kamoshida's Palace was, because you have a stronger pool of Personae and thus more flexibility and resistances, but the game ups rthe difficulty by giving you stronger enemies to fight- enemies that not only have no weaknesses, meaning they can only be knocked down with crits (like our friends the Oni- fortunately they are susceptible to ailments and have rotten Luck) and enemies that cast everybody's favorite attacks: the instant-death move, in Light and Darkness flavors. And depending on the level you approach the bank, you might not really have a good counter for either... meaning that while you're here, you have to either bite the bullet and hope luck favors you (a bad idea in these games), or try to acquire both an Angel and an Orobas so you have some form of defense against Hama and Mudo, and try to bring down an Oni through magic or crits. And that takes SP. A lot of it. So satire or not, this entire dungeon functions as another wake-up call up this games ladder, where the difficulty curve more starts to resemble a wall- that's the way it goes in SMT land, I guess.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Tell Ari that is a very good shark. :3:

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

AccidentalHipster posted:

Both really since Charm really sucks and you usually don't want anyone Charmed. You can get Null Charm on the MCs Personas as an alternative to accessories but that might be not work out since you can't directly control anyone but the MC (unless you're playing the re-release) and switching to a Persona without Charm Null risks leaving you Charmed and with no control period until it wears off. At this point though, ailments have long since reared their head as a major problem and you should have a way of dealing with them if you're not a mouthbreather.

EDIT: I haven't play P3 in forever and don't remember if Null Charm accessories exist so I might be at least partially talking outta my rear end here

And all of that was probably the least of his problems. I took a glance at a video containing his run's "highlights" a ways back and he was very adamantly not doing any sidequests, so a lot of the higher-end persona were locked off. To compound this, he'd fuse a bunch of the higher level persona needed for the bigger fusions, run into a roadblock because one of the components was locked off due to not doing the sidequest, then give up and mash all of those higher-end persona together to get much, much lower level persona that he thought looked cooler.

Frankly, I'm surprised he managed to muddle through as far as he did, even on easy.

EDIT: And yes, that is a nice shark. Good job, Ari.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I have never beaten P3's final boss legitimately, I will own up to this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Please tell me there's an option to romance Caroline.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Finally, an update that makes sense.

Ari is a good kid.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Don't be so cocky.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I know it's breaking the facade but I thought you should know that your innovation with updates make them fresh and fun.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The game isn't quite awful enough to let you date a 7 year old

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GeneX posted:

The game isn't quite awful enough to let you date a 7 year old

Aren't all of the Velvet Room attendants ridiculously old despite their appearances?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Pull up, thread, pull up.

*ahem*

Makoto and motorbike Popess are probably my favourite characters, both from a mechanical standpoint and a characterization one.

As a character, well, we all saw her right? Fun thing: I didn't realize at first she was following the MC, that is to say while I noticed she followed me through zones I didn't realize she was actually mobile until a couple weeks of tailings at the least.
She is also going to become even more awesome and her "FISTS OF JUSTICE" soundclip during her finisher is simply :love:

In battle, she's extremely flexible with the frei and mafrei spell lines for magical nuking, aoe physicals and decent enough str to make them useful during trash mobs, and some healing and buffing access.
Of course, flexibility comes at a cost, either in the form of Wild Card limitations or 8 total skill slots for like 20 abilities you'd really like to have (the 20 number may be an exaggeration) so you have to do some cuts; in addition, she'll never match the sheer damage the dedicated dps can pull (e.g. Maaku, Ryuji or Ann). Still, she's an extremely useful member and she seldom left my party.

P.S. please tell me if you date Makoto you cut back to Sae's interrogation and the older sister tries to strangle you

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
No one knows who wrote that list? that's interesting and will in no way affect the plot later.

enjoying the change of update, it's adorable :unsmith:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aren't all of the Velvet Room attendants ridiculously old despite their appearances?

I think it's possible that it's the opposite and the attendants didn't exist before their guest arrived.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Gruckles posted:

I think it's possible that it's the opposite and the attendants didn't exist before their guest arrived.

alternatively they didn't exist until their guest arrived at which point they retro-actively have existed for years

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I think we can all agree that Ari should be in charge of updates from now on. He's clearly much better at video games than you are.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Omobono posted:

P.S. please tell me if you date Makoto you cut back to Sae's interrogation and the older sister tries to strangle you

Actual game footage from when Sae finds out you're dating Makoto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zix7UBJOHtM

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Arcsech posted:

Perfection.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Arcsech posted:

I'll take that, thanks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arcsech posted:

That is certainly a very Ryuji reaction.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

Arcsech posted:

This is such a great parody. I was considering linking a fancomic that was pretty much this, but it has spoilers for later party members

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
It's not the original one, but that one is spoilers for this point in the game, sadly.

This one, however, isn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqM9Bc9E-B8

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Drakenel posted:

It's not the original one, but that one is spoilers for this point in the game, sadly.

What the hell did I just watch?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Stephen9001 posted:

What the hell did I just watch?

Rick James tribute.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Drakenel posted:

One day I will learn what this scene is from.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's from a parody of an Australian series about a man at a party who slaps the child of one of the other guests and the drama that unfolds from there. It was based on a novel that won awards and even got an American adaptation two years ago.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Huh. Sounds pretty neat.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Arist posted:

It's from a parody of an Australian series about a man at a party who slaps the child of one of the other guests and the drama that unfolds from there. It was based on a novel that won awards and even got an American adaptation two years ago.

Oh, yeah- The Slap. That was all the rage a little while ago, my mother read the book and found it interesting. Never was moved to seek out the TV series though; the book is set in Australia with the family of the slapped child being Aboriginal (race relations and the problems that people face being something of a major theme), but as I recall the cast of the show is all white.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is Despair how you do instant death this game, or are the actual instant deaths out there waiting to make somebody instant die too?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Glazius posted:

So is Despair how you do instant death this game, or are the actual instant deaths out there waiting to make somebody instant die too?

Mudo and Hama very much still exist, we just haven't had the "fortune" to run into them much yet.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Materant posted:

Mudo and Hama very much still exist, we just haven't had the "fortune" to run into them much yet.

There is no real reason to use them when bless and curse damage skills exists.

The Angels are the ones who spam them against you. They're level 12 and the game goes like, "Oh, this should be easy." It's lying. I think they like to spam it on Joker, but maybe I just have bad luck.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Blademaster_Aio posted:

There is no real reason to use them when bless and curse damage skills exists.

Well I mean, they are still insta-kills. Instantly killing something is objectively superior to causing a lot of damage to something.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

serefin99 posted:

Well I mean, they are still insta-kills. Instantly killing something is objectively superior to causing a lot of damage to something.

Unless of course "a lot of damage" is enough damage to outright kill the target, then there's no real difference except the cost. Of course, I'm sure being able to kill something with one pure damage move is very rare and generally only works on stuff you have a lot of levels over in comparison to killing with conventional instant death moves.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
And yes, Despair from pollen days in mementos happens to the reaper too.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
And I'm not sure exactly how it works, but just like with Confuse, some enemies are highly susceptible to Despair. Or rather, to all ailments. And because Despair takes three turns to kill, if you can get every enemy then you can spend the time guarding and recharging your SP.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Drakenel posted:

And yes, Despair from pollen days in mementos happens to the reaper too.

This raises the question, what happens if you manage to defeat the reaper in a fight? Do you get lots of xp or what?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is both incorrect and irrelevant

Stephen9001 posted:

This raises the question, what happens if you manage to defeat the reaper in a fight? Do you get lots of xp or what?

We're not going into this yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad that Arist is now free of the LP to pursue his true passion of 100% completion in all the spinoff Dynasty Warriors games. Lucky for him that his little brother is breaking the game over his tiny knees and also a wiz at creating LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

pirate warriors 3 is really good