Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Two Items:

If you get Discovery through Netflix, one of the language subtitle options is Klingon

Second:

Mu Zeta posted:

Now is a good time to go back to those paid advertisement tweets from so called journalists saying Discovery is loving incredible.

So we can say they were right? It's getting really good reviews so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

That rabbit killing was stone cold. I'm shocked S&P let that stay.

Maybe the c-suite drama will be ok, but a lot of the medical scenes are not good. It feels like a fired surgical resident got yelled at too much and he's hiding behind autism to get his revenge in his screenplays. The quote about surgeons having autistic traits, however, was dead on.

You have any med exp? As a person who doesn't, ER always felt the most true to life, with say Gray's Anatomy/General Hospital being the lowest.

House would be in the most fake end of things. "It's not lupus." Motherfucker someone's gotta have it sometime alright

e:^ at first I thought you were talking about Armond White, and I found that very plausible

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mu Zeta posted:

Now is a good time to go back to those paid advertisement tweets from so called journalists saying Discovery is loving incredible.

Yeah I've basically been hearing nothing but good things aside from insane people who hate Abrams Trek on principle and people who are mad Star Trek is "getting political".

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

zoux posted:

This is confusing me because the main character on TWD is Rick, which Rick are you talking about.

I think they're talking about TWD season 5(?) finale when they're all locked in the boxcar. Originally they wanted Rick's final line to be 'They don't know they're loving with the wrong people', but it got changed to 'screwing' for whatever reason.

The use of the 'gently caress' in Fear felt like it fit well, cause that's probably the most automatic reaction to a giant horde of zombies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think they're talking about TWD season 5(?) finale when they're all locked in the boxcar. Originally they wanted Rick's final line to be 'They don't know they're loving with the wrong people', but it got changed to 'screwing' for whatever reason.

The use of the 'gently caress' in Fear felt like it fit well, cause that's probably the most automatic reaction to a giant horde of zombies.

Oh FEAR the Walking Dead, ok. Yeah that sucked.

Bojack Horseman can say gently caress whenever they want but they limit it to one per season and they use it to amazing effect.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I've basically been hearing nothing but good things aside from insane people who hate Abrams Trek on principle and people who are mad Star Trek is "getting political".

The reviews I've seen just say it's an ok start which I agree with. The Twitter people were way overreacting to the show. Have you seen it? Every drat scene with the klingons brings the pace to a screeching halt. That's the first thing they need to fix.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no real interest in Star Trek and have paid no attention to any of this but is there a reason everyone is so negative on the show sight unseen? Is it just internet nerd cynicism or "not my Trek" or is there an actual thing that happened? The trailers I've seen look good and most of the reviews I've seen/heard have been positive. But then there was this whole "at least we have Orville" thing for the cheaper, goofy satire/homage. I feel like I'm missing something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Welcome to the Something Awful forums my friend.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

I have no real interest in Star Trek and have paid no attention to any of this but is there a reason everyone is so negative on the show sight unseen? Is it just internet nerd cynicism or "not my Trek" or is there an actual thing that happened? The trailers I've seen look good and most of the reviews I've seen/heard have been positive. But then there was this whole "at least we have Orville" thing for the cheaper, goofy satire/homage. I feel like I'm missing something.

it's pretty much all "not my trek" coupled with healthy dollops of rose colored glasses for TNG

the discovery pilot was way way way WAY better than the first season or three of TNG by like, a rather huge margin and pretending it wasn't is just amazing to me

for trekkies, star trek is not so much a franchise with flaws and ups and downs, it's a religion, and just like religions, they cling to extremely outdated and weird old poo poo because it's more "pure" or w/e

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

STAC Goat posted:

For me I think the first two episodes have been great. I just know how much the production has been plagued with issues and I super don't trust CBS. So I just expect it to start to suck at some point. Not that it has yet but it probably will.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just finished episode 2 and man the dialogue and non-action stuff is pretty bad and boring a lot of the time. But these eps were ok overall.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all didn't tell me that there was a commercial free sub plan for CBS All Access. Not that I'm going to pay $10 a month to watch NCIS but it might be worth it to drop ten bucks once a year to binge ST.

Here's an interesting blog post positing that All Access isn't a good faith attempt by CBS to enter the streaming market, but to set a clear price for its content.

quote:

Imagine the retransmission fee negotiations between CBS and Comcast on a monthly fee per subscriber for CBS programming.

If you’re Comcast, you’d start the discussion with “Viewers can get your programming free with an antenna, let’s start the fee at $0.10/month/sub”

For CBS, All Access provides a real market price point for the negotiations to be leveraged against.

With All Access, CBS is able to reply “We have X subscribers paying us between $5 and $10 a month, that’s what you should pay us”.

Given that CBS All Access revenues are just ~10% of the CBS retransmission fee revenue, the leverage to increase those retransmission fees just 10% is worth as much revenue as all of CBS All Access (and likely far more profit given the relative costs).

More notes:
CBS All Access pricing is uncompetitive, for a single network’s shows/catalog, with Netflix ($8-12 depending on # of devices/resolution), or Hulu streaming ($7.99 ads/$11.99 no ads). That’s fine with CBS, because customer acquisition isn’t their objective, it’s putting that price point ($5.99/$9.99) in front of negotiators!

If CBS All Access were a real business, measuring by subscribers gained it’s a failure, with only 1.5 million customers after nearly 3 years. Yet, CBS’s Les Moonves claims (perhaps tongue in cheek) that’s it’s exceeding expectations. Compare that to Hulu streaming, which had 12 million subscribers in 5.5 years, and has 32 million after almost 7 years. But lack of customers isn’t a problem for All Access, because customer acquisition isn’t its objective!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I neither hated nor loved it. I'm sick of prequels and Klingons are one of the most boring parts of Star Trek, so I'm not super interested in this to begin with. It didn't wow me, but if it were on TV I'd keep watching it. As it is I can't be bothered.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lt. Daft Punk was hilarious shame she probably won't ever be seen again

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

History has a new drama show starting in December about the Knights Templar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJMrwu_nh0

I remember when we scoffed at Vikings but that turned out to be pretty good and Hatfields and McCoys was excellent. Honestly, I'd be fine with History pivoting to mainly historical fiction drama over Swamp Gold or whatever. Anytime I've gotten really into a historical period and read a lot of non-fiction about it, it's because I was inspired to find out more by a really good piece of historical fiction.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why don't they have french accents

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you have any proof that they were paid off or is this is the usual "every critic who likes a thing I don't like is a paid shill, every critic who doesn't like a thing I like is a tasteless moron, and in both cases I don't need to have actually seen the thing they're criticising to know I'm right and they're wrong" sour grapes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The trailer didn't grab my attention for its whole span, but it could be interesting if the time period covers poo poo like the Templars invading Lithuania for no reason and being corrupt as poo poo, also some light Mongol action.

Dunno about this focus on the Grail tho, seems ahistorical as hell.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

[Edit: I said that badly, what I should have said was:

I don't hate Abrams Trek on prinicple, I hate it because he values style over substance, and relies on nostalgia instead of telling unique stories in a beloved universe. See also The Force Awakens and Super 8.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 26, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So what'd you guys think of Young Sheldon? I figured it'd be all the rage in here.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Croatoan posted:

So what'd you guys think of Young Sheldon? I figured it'd be all the rage in here.

I'm going to watch it tonight out of morbid curiosity.

Guy Mann posted:

Do you have any proof that they were paid off or is this is the usual "every critic who likes a thing I don't like is a paid shill, every critic who doesn't like a thing I like is a tasteless moron, and in both cases I don't need to have actually seen the thing they're criticising to know I'm right and they're wrong" sour grapes.

Any social media poo poo that you see before something is out and isn't from someone at a real news outlet you can safely assume is paid. This is becoming more and more common practice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Croatoan posted:

TRIGGERED

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

I'm visiting my parents so I saw it. It was pretty bad and too boring/sad to even be in the so bad it's funny category.

Then they watched actual BBT and man that show has gone way more downhill than you'd expect

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parents loving love Sheldon, it's irritating.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

You have any med exp? As a person who doesn't, ER always felt the most true to life, with say Gray's Anatomy/General Hospital being the lowest.

House would be in the most fake end of things. "It's not lupus." Motherfucker someone's gotta have it sometime alright

e:^ at first I thought you were talking about Armond White, and I found that very plausible

I'm a physician who tends to avoid medical shows like the plague; there's no escapism for me. My wife was curious about the good doctor so we watched it. It's being done my some of the same people who did house. As for the other shows, I watched the live ER episode one as a kid, I scream at grey's whenever my wife watches, and I agree with other doctors who have said scrubs is the most true to life.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
new trek was fine, not even in the same ballpark as Orville tone-wise, so it'll be fine and all the hack reviewers had to backspace their pre-written hot takes that the orville is closer to trek than the official trek

also it was fun to imagine the soda cans crushed in frustration as 2 LADEYS boarded a klingon warship. Their guns blazing pose as they transported was pretty cool.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

I'm a physician who tends to avoid medical shows like the plague; there's no escapism for me. My wife was curious about the good doctor so we watched it. It's being done my some of the same people who did house. As for the other shows, I watched the live ER episode one as a kid, I scream at grey's whenever my wife watches, and I agree with other doctors who have said scrubs is the most true to life.

Same. Loved Scrubs and felt it was the closest. I still watched House, not for the medical aspect, but it was fun watching House poo poo on people constantly. If there are fun or entertaining characters, I will watch understanding that the science/medicine won't be accurate and it doesn't really bug me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Neo Yokio is.....kinda awesome? Maybe? I'm not sure.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

swickles posted:

Same. Loved Scrubs and felt it was the closest. I still watched House, not for the medical aspect, but it was fun watching House poo poo on people constantly. If there are fun or entertaining characters, I will watch understanding that the science/medicine won't be accurate and it doesn't really bug me.

what's with some of the doctors on ER being poor. Maria Bello's character was living in a dump and eating cold pop tarts because her toaster was broken. Do any doctors actually live like that?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Using Scrubs as my source of information I am led to believe that most young doctors are deep in debt to medical school and the ones who aren't are ones who came from money or get in on private practices.

I'm just going to have fun comparing every medical show to Scrubs as if its some kind of baseline for accuracy now.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Escobarbarian posted:

Neo Yokio is.....kinda awesome? Maybe? I'm not sure.

My BF and I tuned in to the first episode, mostly because we love anything Desus and Mero, but I disagree.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Did your wife let you keep your stuffed dog?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Did your wife let you keep your stuffed dog?

Out of context, this is a tremendous sentence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I changed my mind on Van Helsing, after the first couple eps it's perfectly serviceable Canadian scifi TV

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mu Zeta posted:

The reviews I've seen just say it's an ok start which I agree with. The Twitter people were way overreacting to the show. Have you seen it?

Nah, I ain't in a hurry to watch any sci fi show. I watched all the star tracks in the last few years so I figure I'm good for the next 15 years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Guess AMC is letting Walking Dead and Fear use two fucks per season.

https://www.avclub.com/theyre-finally-allowed-to-say-the-loving-f-word-on-the-1818814717

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Lurdiak posted:

I have a cousin that still rants about 90s Trek being too "politically correct" for being helmed by a woman and a black man. Can't imagine he's happy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I know the whole point of this argument is stupid because beginning in TOS it was used to deal with the political issues of the time but how in the gently caress can you really be that stupid to not see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

This is confusing me because the main character on TWD is Rick, which Rick are you talking about.

the... same one you're talking about? were we not talking about TWD?

• Locked thread