Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

I mean, it's college sports.

Fair enough. It seems like the fact that it's not just like, SMU getting busted makes it seem more important tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Louisville and Miami are implicated from the details, but I don't see any news about arrests having been made at either program.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

pathetic little tramp posted:

Louisville and Miami are implicated from the details, but I don't see any news about arrests having been made at either program.

Yeah, specific allegations of players paid to attend both of those schools

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
disgusting to think that in TYOOL 2017 athletes were adding value to the institutions they play for and being monetarily compensated for that work

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Welp, looks like USC is gonna suck again for another decade :suicide:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Pitino discussing the recruitment of the player that was paid $100k to come to Louisville.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

As for the case against Chuck Person, the FBI says he collected about $91,500 in bribes in exchange for funneling Auburn players to a particular financial advisor and a high-end suit maker, Rashan Michel.
The FBI says Person would use a portion of the bribes to pay off the families of high-priority recruits.
In one part of the documents, the FBI says Chuck met with a player and counseled him about how players secretly get away with NCAA violations.
He allegedly told one player, "The most important part is that you ... don't say nothing to anybody ... don't share with your sisters, don't share with any of the teammates, that's very important 'cause this is a violation .... of rules. But this is how the NBA players get it done."
"They get early relationships, and they form partnerships, they form trust, you get to know [financial advisor], you get to know Rashan a lot and like Rashan can get you suits and stuff ... you'll start looking like an NBA ball player, that's what you are."

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I would be pissed if I were an Auburn fan who has a team that is both corrupt and bad.

But they have Bruce Pearl as their coach, so it's kinda on them.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Looks like Mike Alden was playing the long game in hiring Kim Anderson baby

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Very angry that players may have actually made some money and glad the FBI is taking a stand here

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I wonder how sweaty Sean Miller's shirt is atm?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
oh cool Illinois's new coach is gonna get fired before he even starts isn't he

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Bowen's recruitment was super weird, I just remember because State was a finalist, though they were never getting him. It seemed though like he was headed to Michigan State or maybe Arizona (hmm) but Louisville just came out of nowhere and snagged him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

How bad at business are you if you're thinking "hey man, please take my money in exchange for access to these Auburn Men's Basketball players as it pertains to their professional future"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Auburn is an Under Armour school, too, isn't it?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

gvibes posted:

Pitino discussing the recruitment of the player that was paid $100k to come to Louisville.

"DID I MENTION WE SPENT ZERO DOLLARS?!!?"

edit:

https://twitter.com/JasonRileyWDRB/status/912706814931865600

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 26, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Khagan posted:

I wonder how sweaty Sean Miller's shirt is atm?

- Has Sean Miller been wearing a shirt for more than 10 minutes?
- The shirt is now a liquid

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
lol at all the morons on twitter blaming adidas and not the coaches

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Jesus Christ

This was supposed to be the year too, two borderline first round guys, everyone returning

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

EvanTH posted:

- Has Sean Miller been wearing a shirt for more than 10 minutes?
- The shirt is now a liquid

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So are these all Adidas schools?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think these are two separate schemes, because Auburn is sponsored by Under Armour.

Some coaches were taking bribes to push financial managers on athletes, and the managers were also paying players under the table.

The Adidas guy was paying players to go to schools sponsored by them to boost the brand.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

SamuraiFoochs posted:

no, seems like two separate cases. One is some managers of Adidas trying to get players to play at their sponsored schools (Louisville). The other is agents bribing assistant coaches so they will pay players to use them as their agent.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apparently 10 people are being charged. 4 coaches at programs, 3 ÀAU guys I think it was, an Adidas exec, and ???

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Apparently 10 people are being charged. 4 coaches at programs, 3 ÀAU guys I think it was, an Adidas exec, and ???

I think only 8 have been arrested so far

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the Adidas guy is the director of global marketing lol.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Louisville also implicated. They're an Adidas school though.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

SamuraiFoochs posted:

quote:

Also charged for their roles in attempting to steer young players to specific schools or agencies for personal gain were Munish Sood, the chief investment officer for a financial advisory group; Christian Dawkins, a former NBA agent; Rashan Michel, a founder and operator of a clothing company in Atlanta; Merl Code, an Adidas employee; Jonathan Brad Augustine, an AAU director with ties to Adidas; and Jim Gatto, director of global sports marketing for basketball at Adidas.

Couple fun facts: Dawkins was fired from his agent job because he racked up $42,000 in Uber bills on some NBA player's credit card, and Michel once tried to beat up Dominique Wilkins over money he claimed he was owed for suits. Michel also used to be an NBA ref.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If I heard correctly, this all started because an initial corroborating witness was indicted for an SEC violation and just happened to have some info on all of this other stuff going on.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apparently the FBI is saying that in some cases they consider the schools victims?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Players who received money under the table technically committed fraud when they signed declarations of amateurism in order to get scholarships.

Edit: Apparently two Auburn players got paid by the financial adviser in exchange for agreeing to sign with them when they declared for the draft. It looks like they both will lose eligibility and Auburn will be without two of their best players.

Duckaerobics fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 26, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

quote:

US Atty for SDNY: "For the defendants charged today, the madness of college basketball went well beyond the Big Dance in March"

"Your honor, i think you will agree that this was not one shining moment for amateur sports."

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

gvibes posted:

Pitino gets "lucky" alot.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

So who is the highest ranked recruit to get caught for this?

I'm guessing they're from Arizona or Louisville. So maybe DeAndre Ayton and Jahvon Quinerly from the former, and from the latter Brian Bowen and Anfernee Simons.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 26, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Amateur sports is an exploitative sham, highlights at 11.

Seriously though, we as a country brutalize entire communities through generational poverty and intractable despair and then hold out the one above-board lottery ticket of big-time sports, only to snatch it away if the students and families involve dare to reach for that money? And the system will only ever act when its illusions of virtue and self-betterment threaten to get crushed under the sheer mass of money the whole system is hemorraghing to make sure the athletes can't get paid a second too soon? gently caress this whole thing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

It looks like they both will lose eligibility and Auburn will be without two of their best players.
Wiley and Heron?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Could someone who's a good law knower explain exactly what illegal thing happened here besides Player Paying in the First Degree

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

sum posted:

Could someone who's a good law knower explain exactly what illegal thing happened here besides Player Paying in the First Degree

You can't bribe coaches at public or private schools because private schools still get funding from the government. The coaches were paid to steer the kids towards certain financial advisers, including one who had recently been arrested for stealing money from his NBA clients. Both accepting and giving the bribes would be illegal.

I'm not following as clearly how the Adidas guy paying athletes was illegal (as opposed to just a violation of NCAA rules) yet.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sum posted:

Ain't the crime, it's the cover up. In short they absolutely did illegal poo poo, but it was more to avoid the NCAA. It's not quite that simple but this is kinda some war on drugs poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Artic Puma posted:

You can't bribe coaches at public or private schools because private schools still get funding from the government. The coaches were paid to steer the kids towards certain financial advisers, including one who had recently been arrested for stealing money from his NBA clients. Both accepting and giving the bribes would be illegal.

I'm not following as clearly how the Adidas guy paying athletes was illegal (as opposed to just a violation of NCAA rules) yet.

I believe he created fake purchase orders so the cash could be accounted for.

• Locked thread