Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Butter Hole posted:

Oh one weird thing though, does this thing not have any apps? It seems perfect for a web browser/netflix but the home screen is surprisingly bare. That's not why I bought it but is that stuff coming?

Not yet, but it's been hinted at by people from Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Butter Hole posted:

Just got a switch over the weekend. I picked up Mario Kart (even though I already had it for wii u) and Rabbids.

The games are fun, and re-buying MK8 is worth it for all the DLC and being able to play portable (!!). But, the best part is the hardware! This thing is so cool, I kind of wonder how they can sell it for $300 when a tablet from Microsoft is $1000 that probably has less GPU horsepower. The controller is neat too--it's really comfortable and versatile, and even using half of it is much better than I thought it would be.

I'm regretting buying third party games for my xbox already--sonic mania was great but if I had waited I could play it portable!

Anyways just wanted to get that out. I'm hype for Mario!!

Oh one weird thing though, does this thing not have any apps? It seems perfect for a web browser/netflix but the home screen is surprisingly bare. That's not why I bought it but is that stuff coming?

Greetings and welcome to the fun club. Idk when apps are coming but I hope some day in the near future

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I don't have sources or anything, so I might be wrong, but isn't the Switch selling incredibly well? Like, better than even the PS4 in its first weeks? I'd be really surprised if it didn't get Netflix, YouTube, and a ton of other apps before long. Being both a home console and a portable tablet, it's the perfect device for all those services.

Really, the Switch is just the perfect device in general.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Switch was a bit rushed cause of how bad the Wii U did and no one expected anything of it cause again the Wii U, so we're kinda playing catch up now that it shocked everyone and took off like a rocket.

(I always read, think of something and then edit my posts I should sit on them)
To put some numbers to this Nintendo only planned to make 6 million units this year. Then doubled that to 12m, then made it 18M when they literally couldn't keep them on the shelves for months on end.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zelder posted:

You think the Nintendo thread is the only place people do bad puns?

No, but it's the absolute worst.

Butter Hole posted:

The Switch does have a web browser but it's locked away, so you can't access it. They're being really tight about security and entry methods for possible exploits.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Reggie says they over-prepared for the Switch launch, but it still wasn't enough

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I got a copy of Splatoon 2 yesterday from a goon and that game is very fun and cute. I am not using motion controls.

Anyone know what resolution Picross S will run at?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Stan Taylor posted:

10x10 if you're a scrub, 20x20 if you're real.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Suspicious Cook posted:

I don't have sources or anything, so I might be wrong, but isn't the Switch selling incredibly well? Like, better than even the PS4 in its first weeks? I'd be really surprised if it didn't get Netflix, YouTube, and a ton of other apps before long. Being both a home console and a portable tablet, it's the perfect device for all those services.

Really, the Switch is just the perfect device in general.

Year-to-date the PS4 was selling more than the Switch till where we're at now (it had like 4.2 million in a month). Though in all but 2 months so far, Switch has outsold the PS4. It's selling well so far, more than the Wii U's first 2 quarters though not as good as the Wii's.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Stan Taylor posted:

I got a copy of Splatoon 2 yesterday from a goon and that game is very fun and cute. I am not using motion controls.

240p, god's own resolution

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I played the Lost Sphear demo. Here are my impressions with no particular organization:

If you were satisfied with I Am Setsuna, good news, it feels very similar but with less monotony. If you weren't... Ehhhh...

The piano only soundtrack is replaced with a normal one, and it's quite pretty, although the demo has a bug where the town theme loops early.

The locations seem like they're going to be far more varied.

Characters now have feet.

Combat is improved but still uses the same Setsuna system. You can now freely position characters before any action, allowing you to line up enemies for your attack, or space your characters in a way to not be vulnerable to particular enemy attacks. It's neat but sometimes positioning can be finicky. There's no time limit on it, at least. For me, the choice between attacking right away or waiting to build up a stronger attack slows down the pace of combat in a bad way, especially when combined with futzing about with character placement.

The system where you had to kill enemies with different elements to farm ability drops seems to be dialed waaaay back to only two kinds of special kills, one of which is not in the demo.

On the whole, it feels like another solid budget effort. The graphics are pretty but low end. Textures are not sharp and have visible tiling. The world map is especially :effort: I feel like this is due to budget rather than the Switch's modest hardware. I doubt the PS4 or PC will offer a remarkable improvement, so the Switch version is likely the way to go.

The world is very much not interactive. There's pianos you can't play (shame!), a sauna you can't sit in, dogs you can't pet, benches you can't rest on, etc.

The story is interesting, but the cutscene dialogue is pretty bad and the characters are all one note anime tropes. Townsperson dialogue was better and highly reactive to story events. At any point you can talk with your party, which serves as a way to remind you what you're supposed to be going. It's done very well and there's a ton of variety in that party chatter for people who really want to read a lot of text, but for people who don't, it's entirely avoidable.

Cutscenes have a skip/fast forward button, and dialogue even has a rewind to go back to lines you accidentally went too fast through. This belongs in every RPG.

The lost memory concept is wasted on only gating story points. Hopefully the game has some interesting gimmicks down the road but if so they should have put one in the demo. So far it's just, town disappears, go fight a boss that drops the "memory" item, or is standing in front of a cutscene where you get a memory, then you use the memory to bring the town back. The system is built in a way that would allow for a lot of clever uses to it, but... not in the demo, so who knows.

Compared to Octopath the demo felt short and didn't really have a hook.

I love the throwback to SNES / early PS RPGs, but I really think this studio needs both a bigger budget and some visionary behind it. It feels like it was made by a group of people sitting at a table deciding what to do, rather than someone who has a game they passionately want to make. Where Setsuna had a theme that largely wore its welcome out, Sphear doesn't seem to have any theme at all.

It's a competent RPG on the Switch, and it comes out ahead of (working title), so I'm still buying it. But there you go.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

njsykora posted:

10x10 if you're a scrub, 20x20 if you're real.

gimme those 20x25s my man

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Nintendo's holiday numbers, assuming they can keep a reasonable stock available, is going to be incredible for their bottom line.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
ive never played picross but thats exactly the type of game ive been waiting for on switch

do we know how much it will cost yet? also how much content do these games usually have?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

HyperPuma posted:

ive never played picross but thats exactly the type of game ive been waiting for on switch

do we know how much it will cost yet? also how much content do these games usually have?

The ones on 3ds were $6.99 I think. Around 300 puzzles.

e: Picross S will be $8.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chieves posted:

Nintendo's holiday numbers, assuming they can keep a reasonable stock available, is going to be incredible for their bottom line.

I'm looking forward to E3 next year (or in 2019) when Sony announces a new PSP but definitely not due to the Switch just like the PS Move wasn't done in response to the Wii.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's 8 bucks and I think they said either 200 or 300 puzzles. 5x5 you'll some in a minute or less, 10x10 1-5 minutes, 15x15 anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes depending on your skill. 20x15 anywhere from 5 to 60 minutes depending on your skill. The bigger, the longer. Usually the biggest puzzles are about 1/3 the available puzzles, and there's only a free of the very smallest.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Picross is 100% guaranteed to be worth the money if you're at all into it as Al said they will take much longer to get through than most things that will cost you $8.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I have a really good feeling Mario will run like a dream. I don't think they had nearly as much time to optimize Zelda as they've had for Mario Odyssey so it's no good to expect similar performance out of them. Especially since Mario is never very resource heavy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Louisgod posted:

I always felt the glasses peripheral and how it worked with the Wii remote's camera 4 minutes into the video would be the next big thing for Nintendo and I'm sad it never came to be. It was a really, really cool idea.

Holy poo poo that works really, really well. Way better than I expected. Assuming that video is to be trusted, at least. I wonder if the right joycon's camera could offer similar functionality?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm so hyped for picross s it's unreal

Also switch confirmed as 3ds successor? Picross release, inti creates games, smtv, and sequel to Vita anime pervert game all seem to indicate that

Cool deal

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

whaley posted:

I have a really good feeling Mario will run like a dream. I don't think they had nearly as much time to optimize Zelda as they've had for Mario Odyssey so it's no good to expect similar performance out of them. Especially since Mario is never very resource heavy.

I'm trying to go in blind so I've been avoiding watching too much gameplay footage, but isn't there plenty of gameplay shown so far? What little I've seen seems pretty solid 60fps.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

8 dollars for Picross has me insanely hyped.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
900p? mario actually runs at 64i and at 256fps with infinite aliasing shaders and 48k gold but only in the carrot cooking level. and i know this because i put a graph over a youtube video and moved some lines up and down, please like and subscribe to my nintech channel.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

lelandjs posted:

Holy poo poo that works really, really well. Way better than I expected. Assuming that video is to be trusted, at least. I wonder if the right joycon's camera could offer similar functionality?

Video's to be trusted, pretty sure the dude pitched the idea to Nintendo and got rejected and MS hired him for something Kinect related.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whaley posted:

I'm almost certain all the Mario games run at 60fps while Zelda games have usually been locked at 30fps so it seems moot to ever compare the two. That seems alright since you don't really need 60fps for Zelda, but 30fps for a fast platformer would be gross

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Earlier 3D Zeldas would rarely reach the 20 fps treshold on N64.

Let's just say 30 fps a lot of the time is a big step up from that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

whaley posted:

Nintendo's always been really good about getting 3D Mario titles going at 60fps, I don't think we'll be seeing any performance issues there.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Picross coming to Switch? drat...

Need to wrap up Metroid: Samus Returns, get Steamworld Dig 2, play some Picross S, fit in Splatoon 2 some more, and then get ready for Mario Odyssey in a month? I had to return Mario + Rabbid Kingdom Battle to the library, maybe I'll pick it up when these games slow down a bit

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish my library had Switch games.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Butter Hole posted:

Just got a switch over the weekend. I picked up Mario Kart (even though I already had it for wii u) and Rabbids.

The games are fun, and re-buying MK8 is worth it for all the DLC and being able to play portable (!!). But, the best part is the hardware! This thing is so cool, I kind of wonder how they can sell it for $300 when a tablet from Microsoft is $1000 that probably has less GPU horsepower. The controller is neat too--it's really comfortable and versatile, and even using half of it is much better than I thought it would be.

I'm regretting buying third party games for my xbox already--sonic mania was great but if I had waited I could play it portable!

Anyways just wanted to get that out. I'm hype for Mario!!

Everything about the Switch is 2+ year old tech. The actual specs are pretty barebones for a tablet hybrid, but optimized well for games due to the custom OS. Nintendo actually makes a profit on this hardware, but probably not a whole lot.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Louisgod posted:

Video's to be trusted, pretty sure the dude pitched the idea to Nintendo and got rejected and MS hired him for something Kinect related.

And Nintendo went with eye tracking to improve 3d in the 3DS

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

FireMrshlBill posted:

And Nintendo went with eye tracking to improve 3d in the 3DS

That's completely different and was actually programmed by the same teams that did the 3DS emulator software, if I remember correctly.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Louisgod posted:

That's completely different and was actually programmed by the same teams that did the 3DS emulator software, if I remember correctly.

Ya, I wasn't saying it was from his tech. Just that they went a different route for 3d in games but still used eye tracking tech to optimize it. Even the Kinect did't use his tracking system for faux 3D in games like his Wii mote set up demonstrated (that I am aware of, unless they did do games with tracking for perspective changes for a single player, though it wouldn't be IR but general head or eye tracking). His tech translates more into VR headsets that now use gyro and accelerometer for the same tracking movement.

He works with Google now, so I assume in their AR projects

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 26, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Golf story is goaty

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Golf story is goaty

Are you actually playing it or just fun posting again

Because if you are, details please

e I thought it came out today, nm

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm looking forward to E3 next year (or in 2019) when Sony announces a new PSP but definitely not due to the Switch just like the PS Move wasn't done in response to the Wii.

It will have p4g tho so it will be good

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah, at most Sony's going to announce a snap-on controller for Android phones so that you can Remote Play from your PS4 or use PS Now on your phone. If they're smart, it'll also have a built-in battery for longer gaming sessions.

I used to think that Sony would release an phone that could play real console games, but then someone pointed out that no one would buy a portable console/phone at a smartphone price. Also, the battery would suuuuuuck.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 26, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

chaleski posted:

Are you actually playing it or just fun posting again

You eventually learn to just scroll past his posts as you hungrily seek for any relevant new bits of info about the greatest portable that ever was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They'll call the next Vita the PS4 Casual

• Locked thread