Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Welp immediately ranked down to Silver 4 due to people picking zero assassin's and a lucio flaming over people not "playing the meta". Is having any wave clear like, bad on spider queen? I thought it was good to have at least 1 assassin + people that can kill the spiders quick?

Pls link the Reddit post you got this from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Welp immediately ranked down to Silver 4 due to people picking zero assassin's and a lucio flaming over people not "playing the meta". Is having any wave clear like, bad on spider queen? I thought it was good to have at least 1 assassin + people that can kill the spiders quick?

Anytime the first three picks don't instalock Genji/Valla/LiMing or whatever their favorite flavor of assassin is, I'm a little surprized. And I would trust a silver Lucio about "the meta" about as far as I could throw him.

From a quick google https://docs.google.com/document/d/139gUVGegVgCYiedj6exqaBO7OFAvTG1D-Thygclz4Ho/edit#heading=h.ed7oygzdmpd5 this seems to be a great guide for the various maps we have seen so far, primarily from former pro Dreadnaught. Gives me the impression that someone with waveclear who also has enough durability to turn in the gems they collect is best on Spider Queen. Having vision of both turn ins is also very strong (zagara, someone with a scouting drone or flare equivalent).

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Had a haunted mines match last night where we didn't get the big golem at all, both teams cleared up the small skulls then we proceeded to never go down there until one of the cores died

A Good Map, lol

That is my experience as well

Ignore the mines, the merc camps are way stronger anyway, , IF the enemy team goes down to get the stupid skulls, just push and/or take all camps to force them outside again

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

EdRush posted:

And I would trust a silver Lucio about "the meta" about as far as I could throw him.

This is why Garrosh is the best hero in the game atm.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

EdRush posted:

Anytime the first three picks don't instalock Genji/Valla/LiMing or whatever their favorite flavor of assassin is, I'm a little surprized. And I would trust a silver Lucio about "the meta" about as far as I could throw him.

From a quick google https://docs.google.com/document/d/139gUVGegVgCYiedj6exqaBO7OFAvTG1D-Thygclz4Ho/edit#heading=h.ed7oygzdmpd5 this seems to be a great guide for the various maps we have seen so far, primarily from former pro Dreadnaught. Gives me the impression that someone with waveclear who also has enough durability to turn in the gems they collect is best on Spider Queen. Having vision of both turn ins is also very strong (zagara, someone with a scouting drone or flare equivalent).

Yeah nm checking the hotdogs there was a Zuljin but he didn't do a whole lot.

Draft went:

Nazeebo, Zul'jin, Muradin (me), Lucio, Varian

against (forget the exact order, but they got dehaka before i went and malth was first)

Malthael, Dehaka, Lili, Jaina, Raynor

I tried to go Dehaka but the other team got him, which prompted the 'hey lili is going to blind our only assassin and our waveclear isn't great'. Although I guess Nazeebo is okay at waveclear? Or at least he's got a quest for killing minions. Anyway the dude starting whining about the meta after my pick but never said what the meta was.

Enemy team got 18 kills, we killed 1 enemy and minions killed 1 enemy.

On a positive note hotdogs says i'm plat in everything but team league so hopefully that means climbing out of silver will be ezpz.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I had someone in a Plat 3 game refuse to ban Uther after he first-picked Xul on Braxis and wanted to let them draft Uther because he had "a very good anti-Uther build and they will be walking into my trap."

Lots of people can be okay at the game itself and terrible at drafting or vice-versa.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I had someone in a Plat 3 game refuse to ban Uther after he first-picked Xul on Braxis and wanted to let them draft Uther because he had "a very good anti-Uther build and they will be walking into my trap."

Lots of people can be okay at the game itself and terrible at drafting or vice-versa.

What does an anti-uther build look like?

Finished my placements last night, silver 2 :shobon: 6-4 and we only got toxic in 8 of the matches.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What am I missing about Uther being a Xul counterpick?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DisgracelandUSA posted:

He just went Skeleton build, but picked the level 20 Scythe talent.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Anti-Uther Xul build sounds weird, especially since they will probably be in opposite lanes anyway. But I really don't see the big deal about "refusing" to ban Uther. Is there some Uther bug on Braxis I don't know about?

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Finished my placements last night, silver 2 :shobon: 6-4 and we only got toxic in 8 of the matches.

I've noticed that in some sessions it's really bad. I haven't tracked it with day of the week or time of day, but now if I have a lovely game I don't play another since chances feel high that the next will be bad. Maybe everybody triggers each other and people need a nights sleep to reset to human mode?

I'm just too old to be around people who take games too seriously.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

ninguno posted:

I've noticed that in some sessions it's really bad. I haven't tracked it with day of the week or time of day, but now if I have a lovely game I don't play another since chances feel high that the next will be bad. Maybe everybody triggers each other and people need a nights sleep to reset to human mode?

I'm just too old to be around people who take games too seriously.

It took 4 play sessions over the course of 8 days. In one game, a guy said during draft, "Go ahead and mute me now, I scream at people when they make mistakes.". He proceeded to pick anub for our second tank when we could have really used another DPS.

In one game, we tilted hard but managed to pull out the win. In one game we were down, we didn't talk at all, but managed to pull it together and win.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Playing ranked last night and my tracer pick got countered by the other team picking Nova and Valeera (this thread has cursed me).

poo poo, I think, well it's probably on me for picking tracer first but hopefully my team can compensate.

The last dude on my team picked loving raynor. We got utterly shredded in every single fight.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
See I told you double stealth comps were good!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

See I told you double stealth comps were good!

Haha yeah they are extremely good at punishing idiots, I'll give you that

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just to be clear, as always when this whine brigade shows up, team comp is at best #3 on the reasons you lost list and basically is irrelevant 90% of the time.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Team comp is more than anything else a really powerful confirmation bias.

Declare "lost at draft" at start. Then half the time you'll lose the game, which is normal, and you can say "yepppp nothing we could do with this comp" and the other half the time you win and you either just forget about it or make some off-hand remark about how bad the enemy team was.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Just to be clear, as always when this whine brigade shows up, team comp is at best #3 on the reasons you lost list and basically is irrelevant 90% of the time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Saying team comp doesn't matter is basically equivalent to saying that no heroes have counters. If the other team counters your heroes and you don't counter theirs, then I think the team comps matter.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Tracer is actually strong against Nova so it's weird that you bring her up as a counterpick. Plus that team must have had 0 wave clear. It's almost certain that your team lost because it was bad and not because you were "counter-picked".

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

bamhand posted:

Tracer is actually strong against Nova so it's weird that you bring her up as a counterpick. Plus that team must have had 0 wave clear. It's almost certain that your team lost because it was bad and not because you were "counter-picked".

She's good against Nova but that's only because Nova can't burst her down normally. Nova + Valeera roaming together means they have a reliable stun out of stealth and can burst Tracer to death before she can even react. The only way I could've done okay is if I'd had a teammate that could peel for me after the initial Valeera stun but, like I said, the last dude picked Raynor.

They also picked a li-li to keep me blinded for half the match but sure there's no such thing as counter-picking lol

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 26, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Raynor is fine for that, though??

He has his Q to peel, he can focus fire Val or Nova to make it an even trade, and he can Relentless Leader to become Valeera-proof himself (though I suppose Valeera could adjust and use different initiations)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Gustav posted:

Anti-Uther Xul build sounds weird, especially since they will probably be in opposite lanes anyway. But I really don't see the big deal about "refusing" to ban Uther. Is there some Uther bug on Braxis I don't know about?

Don't paladins have turn undead?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

She's good against Nova but that's only because Nova can't burst her down normally. Nova + Valeera roaming together means they have a reliable stun out of stealth and can burst Tracer to death before she can even react. The only way I could've done okay is if I'd had a teammate that could peel for me after the initial Valeera stun but, like I said, the last dude picked Raynor.

They also picked a li-li to keep me blinded for half the match but sure there's no such thing as counter-picking lol

I mean if they picked 3 bad heroes to counter you and gave up all their wave clear ... sounds like you guys had the advantage?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Raynor is fine for that, though??

He has his Q to peel, he can focus fire Val or Nova to make it an even trade, and he can Relentless Leader to become Valeera-proof himself (though I suppose Valeera could adjust and use different initiations)

No, I mean I would need something like a Diablo to peel. With how fast the damage combo from Valeera comes out and how little health tracer has, I would need a big body to come and get her out of the way and draw some aggro. Penetrating round can be used to peel but that's assuming he saves it for that purpose which I don't see a lot of Raynors do and even if he did use it to help me, I'm still probably at extremely low health and Nova can snipe me.

Plus in the chaos of a teamfight that initial Valeera stun probably means Tracer is dead anyways so most of the time it's a moot point.

bamhand posted:

I mean if they picked 3 bad heroes to counter you and gave up all their wave clear ... sounds like you guys had the advantage?

1: We were playing on Blackheart's Bay (which is why I picked tracer in the first place since I generally have good results with her there) so winning teamfights was more important than waveclear

2: They had a zagara and a nazeebo so they had plenty of waveclear

3: If them picking "bad heroes" means we should've had the advantage, then does that mean team comp does matter???

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 26, 2017

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Toshimo posted:

What am I missing about Uther being a Xul counterpick?

All of Uther's level 7 talents work really well against Xul's root, that's about it.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I've played a lot of Uther and a lot of Xul and I'm not sure why any draft strategy would revolve around their specific opposing interactions to the point that someone playing either would think they are directly addressing one another.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
PantsBandit, what ranks were in that game?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Libertine posted:

I've played a lot of Uther and a lot of Xul and I'm not sure why any draft strategy would revolve around their specific opposing interactions to the point that someone playing either would think they are directly addressing one another.

Oh, I know this one!

T H E Y A R E B A D

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Team comps matter and no one actually said they didn't; they just make a relatively small difference compared to other factors that are likely to decide a game's outcome. A really bad draft is probably like 45% or something. Hope that clears things up.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Why is there no Young Ana skin. Does Blizzard hate money.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
FFS, the implication is that the number of times that your team properly soaked lanes, got to objectives on time, picked proper talents, didn't jump into 1v5s, Merced appropriately, didn't get caught wandering between lanes by themselves, and then lost teamfights because of the comp is INCREDIBLY loving MINISCULE and team comp is basically the scapegoat for a massive amount of bad play.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

1: We were playing on Blackheart's Bay (which is why I picked tracer in the first place since I generally have good results with her there) so winning teamfights was more important than waveclear

2: They had a zagara and a nazeebo so they had plenty of waveclear

3: If them picking "bad heroes" means we should've had the advantage, then does that mean team comp does matter???

Just to clarify they had Nazeebo, Zagara, Nova, and Valeera all on one team and you're complaining that you got outdrafted? Am I reading this right?

You lost to their awful team because your team consisted of idiots*. Not because they counterpicked your Tracer. Hope that helps!

*Note, I'm not saying that it's your fault you lost or that you personally are a bad player. This type of crap happens all the time, your team as a whole was just really bad at the game. But if you think about it, if the enemy team comp was awful and still won, perhaps it's not the team comp that was the main contributing factor to you losing.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 26, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

on a completely unrelated note, patch is done and game is up

all hail sniper grandma

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
here's the patch notes:
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21072294

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

bamhand posted:

Just to clarify they had Nazeebo, Zagara, Nova, and Valeera all on one team and you're complaining that you got outdrafted? Am I reading this right?

You lost to their awful team because your team consisted of idiots*. Not because they counterpicked your Tracer. Hope that helps!

*Note, I'm not saying that it's your fault you lost or that you personally are a bad player. This type of crap happens all the time, your team as a whole was just really bad at the game. But if you think about it, if the enemy team comp was awful and still won, perhaps it's not the team comp that was the main contributing factor to you losing.

Yes, they had an incredibly bad comp. I said earlier in this thread that I think Nova and Valeera picked together is stupidly easy to counter.

However, my team didn't bother to pick heroes that did that. We had no cc, no burst damage, and an auriel healing so very low heals as well since we had no burst. 90% of the heroes in the game could've trivialized them. My team picked the other 10%.

Also I find it really funny how people come out of the woodwork to insist that they know better about a game they're hearing about second-hand.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

quote:

Support Camps can no longer be captured with "Bribe" talents.
Developer Comment: Thanks for all of the early responses on Volskaya Foundry. We’re making this change in response to consistent community feedback.

Based on the showmatch (and you know, Hanamura) this was pretty ridiculous, so a good change.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PantsBandit posted:

Yes, they had an incredibly bad comp. I said earlier in this thread that I think Nova and Valeera picked together is stupidly easy to counter.

However, my team didn't bother to pick heroes that did that. We had no cc, no burst damage, and an auriel healing so very low heals as well since we had no burst. 90% of the heroes in the game could've trivialized them. My team picked the other 10%.

Also I find it really funny how people come out of the woodwork to insist that they know better about a game they're hearing about second-hand.

The whining thread is where you go to air out your feelings about being a shitters. This thread is where we try to help you not be a shitter. Consider where you post next time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Toshimo posted:

The whining thread is where you go to air out your feelings about being a shitters. This thread is where we try to help you not be a shitter. Consider where you post next time.

gently caress off dude. I made one post, not even really whining just commenting on how ridiculous it was that the nova valeera combo had actually worked. If you want the conversation to end, stop responding with your weirdly aggressive posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Junkrat on the new splash screen looks... unfinished.