Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Poland-Lithuania unfortunately got massively trashed. Not sure exactly how, but Moldavia got real big, Kiev appeared, and poland/lithuania is down to like 8 provinces total. Krakow is even an OPM :psyduck: Also Poland had the PU on Lithuania, but now they've lost it somehow.

What's the map mod you're using? Digging the colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Looks like Thick Borders And Recolored Water (TBARW) with the transparent political map mode and white text add ons.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Atreiden posted:

Finished my Holland to Netherlands game for the achivements Je maintiendrai & Sinaasappel!, the later was a lot easier than I thought, since you can just colonize Taiwan for it. I ended up also getting the emperors new clothes and balck jack achivements, so that was nice. I created a bunch of vassals late game for Black Jack, since I ran out of states.

I restarted until both France and Austria rivaled Burgundy, and got lucky with Aragon also rivaling them. And I was able to keep all three as allies after, making the early expansion a lot easier. I didn't get much actual help from them, but they kept coalitions from declaring war on me. Eventually Austria rivaled both France and Aragon and I lost Austria as an ally, so I had to start chaining wars to avoid the unlawful territory demands.
I lucked out early and got calais after a long war with England. France called me in and I was able to take it before them and eventually make a separate peace without angering them. That meant I could invade england fairly early. And France didn't seem to care, so kept them as an ally.
I won the thirty years war, thanks to France, Ottomans and Russia joining the protestant. Then I became emperor and formed the Netherlands, so I didn't leave the empire with the decision, when I subsequently lost the emperorship, I fought a quick war and dissolved the empire to make conquering all the german minors easier.
Since I conquered England and Aragon conquered Castile, it was only me, France, scotland and Portugal that really did any colonization. Portugal kept losing theirs to natives. So in the end I had to colonize most of the new world myself. The map looks a bit weird, since I started most of my north american colonies as Holland and they don't change colour to match the Netherlands, when I formed them. I also got two colonial nations in the caribbeans, since I got an odd event where I just inherited all of Scotland, despite not having them in a PU or even being allied to them. I think it might be because I had my dynasty on their throne, but I'm not sure.
I basically had Africa and indonesia to myself. England and Portugal did have some token colonies there, but not many. France eventually wanted both my colonies and land in Europe, so they broke their alliance with me, but by then Aragon and me had encircled them and beat them in a series of wars, where I prioritized taking both land in europe and colonies, so they where never a real threat.
Denmark, Ferrara, Gascogne, Silesia, Croatia, Hungaria, Nitra and Transylvania are all my vassals. (formed most of them for the black jack achievement)

That endstate map :psyduck:

I'm the Andhra that owns half of India.

Be aware the thing that happened with Scotland is a suuuuuper rare thing that can happen when a ruler dies and they have your dynasty on their throne. In like 1500 hours it has never happened to me.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That endstate map :psyduck:

I'm the Andhra that owns half of India.

Be aware the thing that happened with Scotland is a suuuuuper rare thing that can happen when a ruler dies and they have your dynasty on their throne. In like 1500 hours it has never happened to me.

Seriously there was some odd things in the game besides that. I took exploration as my 4. idea and when I got to the americas, france had some colonies in Brazil (and colonialism started in France), England and Scotland had colonies in the caribbean and portugal had a few in mesoamerica, but Kiche had united all of mesoamerica and stole portugal's colonies :) I got the English caribbean and set up a colonial nation there first, moving on to grab mexico, then I inherited Scotland and it's caribbean colonial nation. No one but me colonized north america until late in the 18th century, where Aragon started to colonize Canada.

In south america, Cusco had actually managed to unite the nations in the andes and formed the Inca. I can't remember the last time I saw an ai Inca.
That helped me a lot, since France had several wars against the Inca, since they were colonizing la Plata and Peru. I timed my wars against France to take place either in the middle or right after their wars with the Inca, which left parts of their army stranded in South America and their manpower low. While they fought my colonial nations and my forces there, Aragon and I easily defeated and occupied their mainland.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hi all, I bought this game + all the DLC on that massive sale last weekend, even though I've never played it before. I have over 600 hours in Civ5 and decided I no longer had enough things to micromanage.

In addition to the tutorials I played probably 8 hours over this past weekend as Pomerania because I'm a dork and that's where my ancestors are from. I've come to find out that it's really hard to play as an OPM (looking up jargon is fun). Every time I would ally with Poland to take out the Teutonic Knights, Denmark, Norway, and sometimes Sweden would just come steamroll me. I'm not sure how to circumvent that. I also allied/royal marriaged Mecklenburg because apparently Luebeck hates me too.

Specifically I don't get how reinforcements work. I once had like 5k infantry in a battle with like a 7k teutonic force, and suddenly my numbers doubled in the middle of the battle and ended up winning. It was weird and I didn't understand it.

All in all this game is fun but hard. Should I start out as a greater power or try a OPM later? What else should I know as a complete beginner?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

opms are hard mode starts. they have less money and fewer units to conquer with. ottomans are probably the easiest country to play but they're muslim so you won't get any fun christian stuff like the reformation or christian personal unions. england or france are good but france can't expand east into the holy roman empire without fighting the emperor (usually austria) and making everyone mad if you win

also it sounds like poland or someone you were allied with moved their unit stack into the fight

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Hi all, I bought this game + all the DLC on that massive sale last weekend, even though I've never played it before. I have over 600 hours in Civ5 and decided I no longer had enough things to micromanage.

In addition to the tutorials I played probably 8 hours over this past weekend as Pomerania because I'm a dork and that's where my ancestors are from. I've come to find out that it's really hard to play as an OPM (looking up jargon is fun). Every time I would ally with Poland to take out the Teutonic Knights, Denmark, Norway, and sometimes Sweden would just come steamroll me. I'm not sure how to circumvent that. I also allied/royal marriaged Mecklenburg because apparently Luebeck hates me too.

Specifically I don't get how reinforcements work. I once had like 5k infantry in a battle with like a 7k teutonic force, and suddenly my numbers doubled in the middle of the battle and ended up winning. It was weird and I didn't understand it.

All in all this game is fun but hard. Should I start out as a greater power or try a OPM later? What else should I know as a complete beginner?

If you want to play an OPM in the HRE, try to Ally Austria (assuming they are the emperor) too, they should already come to your defence if Denmark declared war on you, but it really helps to have them as allies in general in the HRE. It's not the easiest place to start and aggressive expansion hits harder there than outside. Did a coalition form against you or did Denmark just declare war on you for a province?

The battle where your army suddenly doubled, sounds like Poland or someone else on your side (or in war with the Teutonic Knights) arrived to the province. if you mouse over battles, you can see which other nations are part of it.

There are a couple of good starter nations, that can still be a challenge. The Ottomans are by far the easiest, but also a bit boring imho. France starts fairly strong, but still surrounded by potential allies and enemies of somewhat equal strength. You start with a clear goal of reclaiming your territory from England, but can afterwards chose further conquest in all direction and/or colonization. You get mission related to the attempted conquests of northern Italy and some of the states from the HRE on your border.
In my opinion that makes france af far more fun starter nation than the Ottomans.

England and Castile can also be fun, but both start on the verge of catastrophe. Dealing with the war of the roses or the castilian civil war, can be a bit unfun, though when/if you get the Iberian wedding (getting Aragon and Naples as junior partners in a personal union) makes Castile pretty fun too.

If you want to play a minor in the HRE then Brandenburg is pretty fun and strong, with the potential of forming Prussia. They start fairly weak and rely a lot on getting the right allies, but have some good clear missions and goals. and can certainly become a colonizer if you want too.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

What else should I know as a complete beginner?

Aggressive expansion is the one thing you should definitely pay attention to.

Through the magic of console commands, here's me immediately taking back all of France's cores on England. 23 aggressive expansion, nothing to worry about. But that's because even though I'm taking some really rich provinces, I'm using the reconquest CB, which means I'm only taking 25% of the AE.

Here's me grabbing Calais and Kent for good measure. Only two provinces but they aren't protected by my CB, so I'm taking the full amounts. Now 56 AE; England is willing to join a coalition now. You can tell who's willing to join by hovering over the new flag icons that have appeared under the summary line. However, because there will be a truce after the war I wouldn't worry about that too much. So long as a country is below 50 AE they can't join a coalition.

HRE provinces all get bonus AE when they're taken amongst all HRE members. Here's a new file where I just took three provinces (I did no-cb to start this war, but you get the point).

Always hover over that flag and make sure that your peace deal isn't going to piss everyone off, it can get pretty ridiculous.

Tendronai fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 25, 2017

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I decided to try a game as England because well, I don't think I've actually done that since the very early days of this game.

Not too big a fan of the English Monarchy, are there events to get rid of it like Polands elective or is it a matter of forcing some rebels?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MrBling posted:

I decided to try a game as England because well, I don't think I've actually done that since the very early days of this game.

Not too big a fan of the English Monarchy, are there events to get rid of it like Polands elective or is it a matter of forcing some rebels?

When Age of Absolutism hits the English Civil War disaster becomes available. Based on what side you choose you can wind up turning it into a constitutional monarchy, constitutional republic, or despotic monarchy, then change it into whatever else.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tendronai posted:

Aggressive expansion is the one thing you should definitely pay attention to.

Great post, and there's also some other tricks to know about AE.

Countries have to have over 50 AE against you to join a coalition, but there are also a few other conditions that apply.

-They can't be at war
-They can't have a truce with you
-They can't be allied with you or be a subject of yours
-They have to have a negative opinion of you
-There has to be at least four other nations that also fulfill all these conditions
-The combined military power of the potential coalition has to be roughly on the same level as the combined military power of you and your allies and subjects

So by avoiding any of these conditions, you can fairly easily prevent coalitions from forming while still having massive amounts of AE against you. The most common way is truce juggling, where you declare war against outraged nations as soon as your truce ends, and then force them into a long truce. Another way is to simply improve relations with any country that is on the verge of being outraged. And of course, when you grow to be the biggest baddest motherfucker on the block, coalitions just won't form because everyone is afraid of you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's not four other, it's just at least four

e: also if you want to practice truce juggling and how religion affects ae, you should do bengal or somewhere around there. always go for the same religious group first, don't try to spread the anger around

oddium fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 25, 2017

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Looks like Thick Borders And Recolored Water (TBARW) with the transparent political map mode and white text add ons.

Yep, but it's 'translucent colored mapmodes'; used to use transparent but it either wasn't as see-through as i'd like or it became incompatible I forget which.

Guildencrantz posted:

In that situation you're definitely going to have a hard time. Sweden doesn't require a very specific diplomatic setup to materialize, unlike your typical threatened minors, but sometimes the stars align just right to put Denmark in a strong position and ruin your chances. You got pretty unlucky here, third time's the charm!

Yeah I'm giving it a go, managed to get Livonian Order on my side (who took part in the partition of Poland) so they're taking the brunt of Muscovy's attack. Got Austria on my side as well, but they're just wandering around doing nothing.

Attacked during the Dutch Independence war so unfortunately all these rando dutch minors are now my enemy because I attacked Denmark. Oh and allied Norway somehow even though they're still a Danish vassal and am supporting their independence. Nordic friends club! They aren't in the war against me which is nice. So now it's Denmark, Muscovy, a few minors that actually have a lot of dudes VS Sweden, Livonian Order, Austria.

I lost England as an ally when they de-rivaled Denmark, thanks for nothing.

Looks like I can get Muscovy out of the war by just offering them Livonian Order land, although I'm a little confused by it. My allies say -10 trust due to signing a separate peace, but I'm not peacing out of the war entirely (which is the only time I've seen that malus) I'm just trying to get non-war-leader-Muscovy and their billion dudes out of the war.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 25, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Re-Reconquista achieved. Dealing with the Iberians was surprisingly easy, and I think I understand why they seem to get wrecked pretty often in other games. The North African countries are pretty powerful now. The hard part, as always, was dealing with France.

One interesting side effect of killing Spain and Portugal so early is that Colonialism didn't pop until about 1570. And apparently, an institution not popping prevents all the later ones from popping as well, so Printing Press didn't pop until the year after.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Fister Roboto posted:

Re-Reconquista achieved. Dealing with the Iberians was surprisingly easy, and I think I understand why they seem to get wrecked pretty often in other games. The North African countries are pretty powerful now. The hard part, as always, was dealing with France.

One interesting side effect of killing Spain and Portugal so early is that Colonialism didn't pop until about 1570. And apparently, an institution not popping prevents all the later ones from popping as well, so Printing Press didn't pop until the year after.

Ragusa :drat:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ragusa almost always goes slightly ham on the Balkans because the Ottomans never revoke their guarantee on them, so they have literally no threats.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm gonna give Pomerania another go, only this time I won't ally with Poland before the Teutonic Knights lose their Danish ally. That's been the biggest hurdle for me so far, because I can't afford to lose prestige when Poland asks me to war with them. So I may just have a sluggish start--maybe work on a navy--and see how their alliances go before moving in as an ancillary aggressor.

Sometimes I feel like the game is giving me hints as to what to do and when to do it. I keep seeing these rebel troops appear (much like in Civ) in TK lands a little while after our wars would finish. Maybe if I had waited for it to happen before DoWing, things would go better. And checking the ledger constantly too I guess.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

I would love to give that a go, how did you pull it off? I find early game Spain infuriatingly resilient and painful to deal with. I gave up on like 5 or 6 Morocco games when planning on going for their achievement because Spain was such a fucker to deal with. Mainly because of Mercs.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Can you even imagine the national myths those dudes must have

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Fister Roboto posted:

Great post, and there's also some other tricks to know about AE.

Countries have to have over 50 AE against you to join a coalition, but there are also a few other conditions that apply.

-They can't be at war
-They can't have a truce with you
-They can't be allied with you or be a subject of yours
-They have to have a negative opinion of you
-There has to be at least four other nations that also fulfill all these conditions
-The combined military power of the potential coalition has to be roughly on the same level as the combined military power of you and your allies and subjects

So by avoiding any of these conditions, you can fairly easily prevent coalitions from forming while still having massive amounts of AE against you. The most common way is truce juggling, where you declare war against outraged nations as soon as your truce ends, and then force them into a long truce. Another way is to simply improve relations with any country that is on the verge of being outraged. And of course, when you grow to be the biggest baddest motherfucker on the block, coalitions just won't form because everyone is afraid of you.

Good to know... I'm probably going to have to reconsider my expansion with my Ethiopia game. I guess I should be more aggressive with Kilwa, since there's very few people to form a coalition against me? And if I don't war anyone else in the south (or at least take land from them) and just wipe out Kilwa, then I won't have to worry about their AE towards coalition, right?

Ethiopia game thus far:
Got rid of all my allies, going to keep my Defender of the Faith. Except Tunis. I think their alliance has kept Ottos from invading me, as they're allied with Ottos. I really wish I could for-once grab the hills around Sainai so I could fort that up. But no such luck. At least I have Alexandria. Now that I'm a great power I've had to rival more powerful people, but no option to rival Ottos. If I rivaled them then I probably could have gotten euro allies, but instead I'm rivaling Spain and Austria. Alliance with France is illusive.

Got Exploration ideas not long ago... I saved up about 800 gold and was able to straight up buy Renaissance after 1 loan. Then I bought some tech, did some more wars, saved up more gold and took 2 loans and bought Colonialism. Waiting for Printing Press to make its way down through the Ottomans. Also converted Mecca, had to take like 2 or 3 national decisions to do that. Just started worming my way into middle africa. Next admin tech will give me 3 more states (I'm out of states), and those are probably going to be saved for Kilwa and moving all my currently pitiful trade collection to Zanzibar. Kilwa is falling apart because I took them over completely twice, emptied their treasury, looted their lands, etc. Kongo was also able to free itself from PU, making them easier to deal with.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 26, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I would love to give that a go, how did you pull it off? I find early game Spain infuriatingly resilient and painful to deal with. I gave up on like 5 or 6 Morocco games when planning on going for their achievement because Spain was such a fucker to deal with. Mainly because of Mercs.

It's pretty much just allying as many of the North African countries as you can and then waiting for the opportunity to strike. I got really lucky in my game - the Burgundian Inheritance fired very early, and Castile got the lion's share of it, which put them on the poo poo list of pretty much every European major. Then they got the Castilian civil war and I was able to snag a few provinces. To be honest I really underestimated the power of Morocco and Tunis at the beginning, and I could have afforded to be a lot more aggressive.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

Good to know... I'm probably going to have to reconsider my expansion with my Ethiopia game. I guess I should be more aggressive with Kilwa, since there's very few people to form a coalition against me? And if I don't war anyone else in the south (or at least take land from them) and just wipe out Kilwa, then I won't have to worry about their AE towards coalition, right?

Exactly. That's the number one rule for dealing with AE - they can't form a coalition against you if they don't exist.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

BeAuMaN posted:

Ethiopia game thus far:
Got rid of all my allies, going to keep my Defender of the Faith. Except Tunis. I think their alliance has kept Ottos from invading me, as they're allied with Ottos. I really wish I could for-once grab the hills around Sainai so I could fort that up. But no such luck. At least I have Alexandria. Now that I'm a great power I've had to rival more powerful people, but no option to rival Ottos. If I rivaled them then I probably could have gotten euro allies, but instead I'm rivaling Spain and Austria. Alliance with France is illusive.

Got Exploration ideas not long ago... I saved up about 800 gold and was able to straight up buy Renaissance after 1 loan. Then I bought some tech, did some more wars, saved up more gold and took 2 loans and bought Colonialism. Waiting for Printing Press to make its way down through the Ottomans. Also converted Mecca, had to take like 2 or 3 national decisions to do that. Just started worming my way into middle africa. Next admin tech will give me 3 more states (I'm out of states), and those are probably going to be saved for Kilwa and moving all my currently pitiful trade collection to Zanzibar. Kilwa is falling apart because I took them over completely twice, emptied their treasury, looted their lands, etc. Kongo was also able to free itself from PU, making them easier to deal with.

I'm playing Ethiopia right now myself, and none of the fetishists around Kilwa care if you attack them, and all the other Muslim countries are too far away to care. When you finish them you can plow into Mutapa or whoever came out on top down there and no one else in SE Africa will be anywhere near strong enough to coalition you. Then you get all the gold, colonize the cape, and divert a giant pile of cash into your new trade capitol.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Fister Roboto posted:

It's pretty much just allying as many of the North African countries as you can and then waiting for the opportunity to strike. I got really lucky in my game - the Burgundian Inheritance fired very early, and Castile got the lion's share of it, which put them on the poo poo list of pretty much every European major. Then they got the Castilian civil war and I was able to snag a few provinces. To be honest I really underestimated the power of Morocco and Tunis at the beginning, and I could have afforded to be a lot more aggressive.

Btw if Castile doesn't immediately get dragged into a hell war they will attack about as soon as they can regardless of you north African friends. Their fleets will also prevent you and your friends from crossing into Iberia. The only way I've found where you can survive the first war (outside of it not happening) is grabbing some clay in north Africa (Tlemcen), and then stackwiping the Castilians a few times as they try to land in Africa. This still requires that Morocco and Tunis don't ally Tlemcen but it's overall way less luck dependent.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 26, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the hardest easy way is to improve relations with france up to 90, then when england fights them for maine you Send Gift up to 100 and enforce peace on england. if they're not losing yet they'll say no and now you're in a war on France's side wow !! and they probably want to ally you !!

e: oh yeah france probably has to rival Castile too it's been a while since i've done it

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
So I'm playing Scotland right now, I have France in a PU under me. Both me and France have colonial nations in America, and my colonial nation New Scotland just declared war on the French Floride colonial nation. Since New Scotland is really loving dumb they keep losing and I have to watch Floride gobble up my colonies without any way of stopping it. Why is this a thing? Is it a bug?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Here is today's DD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-26th-of-september-2017.1046487/

DDR Jake talks about it being a lot, but all it really is is a big map the Greater Persia area, a culture map, and a religious map. There is a brief description of a new government type called "Feudal Theocracy" which is a religious themed Monarchy.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Here is today's DD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-26th-of-september-2017.1046487/

DDR Jake talks about it being a lot, but all it really is is a big map the Greater Persia area, a culture map, and a religious map. There is a brief description of a new government type called "Feudal Theocracy" which is a religious themed Monarchy.

So they're basically modelling Iran(Persia) a bit more accurately. I'm cool with that. I like playing it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dance Officer posted:

So they're basically modelling Iran(Persia) a bit more accurately. I'm cool with that. I like playing it.
Yeah they are adding a ton of flavor and new stuff to the area, its pretty neat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wow, that new Persian government power seems bonkers powerful. 50 mil power for an instant claim on EVERY off-religion non-allied province that borders you?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

50 DIP for +1 Development is also just crazy, plus it comes with an extra -20% dev cost.

I assume those clicks are actually on pretty long cool downs.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

PittTheElder posted:

50 DIP for +1 Development is also just crazy, plus it comes with an extra -20% dev cost.

It mostly seems to be intended to help Persia compensate for it's geography. All those loving mountains. The claims are meant to help a burgeoning Persian empire reach the borders of it's powerful neighbors quickly enough that they have a chance. These bonuses are extremely powerful in a vacuum, but in the context of Ardabils start position and monstrously powerful Ottoman neighbor mostly just help it survive.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

50 MIL for border claims against heathens just reminds me that the espionage and claim system sucks balls.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

5 years it said. Which still probably comes out to 50+ extra development in your capital if you keep pushing it. :quagmire:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm sad that there doesn't seem to be anything related to the fairly unique religious situation in that part of the world at that time. Making it all Shia in 1444 isn't the worst thing but it's historical railroading at best.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I was surprised to see that as well. Especially with the addition of the Theocratic Monarchy government or whatever it was called to the area; you'd really think they'd add some mechanic for a Persian state to use conversion to Shia to consolidate their hold on the region.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I thought the same thing. At the end of the DD DDRJake says to make suggestions in the suggestions subforum and I imagine tons of pubbies will holler about it.

edit: I am thinking of suggesting:
  • Admirals with a siege value contibute said value to coastal sieges that they are blockading at 100%
  • Making the Detach mercenaries have a pop-out on right click that allows you to pick any unit type to detach (so you can detach all your non-merc infantry, all your non-merc artillery (lol), or whatever).
  • Fix the Upper-Nile river provinces around Dongola and Shendy to match the new style of the Lower Nile.
  • Default the Transfer Occupation button to transfer to the war-leader and have a right click bring up a menu to Transfer Occupation to someone else.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 26, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

edit: I am thinking of suggesting:
  • Admirals with a siege value contibute said value to coastal sieges that they are blockading at 100%
  • Making the Detach mercenaries have a pop-out on right click that allows you to pick any unit type to detach (so you can detach all your non-merc infantry, all your non-merc artillery (lol), or whatever).

You can already detach a type of unit by clicking it in the top army bar (or hotkeys.. with army selected you press C to detach artillery, it is my most used hotkey to send all the cannons from multiple stacks into a siege)

Or am I reading you wrong and you meant something else?

That admiral siege suggestion is very neat and would actually make me want to hire admirals, which I literally never do. Either you have enough navy to beat the enemy, or you leave it into port...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Merc artillery is great, it really rubs it in how much you're crushing your opponent money wise. If you're not exclusively using the gold plated cannons firing solid gold balls you need to dominate more trade nodes. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Poil posted:

Merc artillery is great, it really rubs it in how much you're crushing your opponent money wise. If you're not exclusively using the gold plated cannons firing solid gold balls you need to dominate more trade nodes. :homebrew:

Nothing beats crushing an army of starving peasant rebels with a rapidly assembled full-on late game stack consisting entirely of mercs. The fact that it costs enough money to have solved all of the rebels' problems is just sort of icing on the cake.

• Locked thread