Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

precision posted:

Is that recent? I could have also sworn that East Canada required a French option because gently caress East Canada

Nah like I said, all Quebec requires for something to be sold is bilingual packaging. Big companies will sometimes shell out for french dubbing and text ingame to guarantee sales though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/ItTimmit/status/912717986347278341

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Takahashi discusses disc 2 of Xenogears and explains why it ended up like so.

http://kotaku.com/the-real-story-behind-xenogears-unfinished-disc-2-1796151112

quote:

“Honestly speaking, what had happened is Xenogears as a project was staffed pretty much entirely out of new staff members, young staff members,” said Takahashi, speaking through a translator. “Back then, we had the direction of, ‘All projects take two years and that’s when we need to get it done.’ So on top of developing the game, we had to nurture and teach and grow these younger employees. Things like 3D were extremely new, which led to some delays in the schedule. It just wasn’t possible to get everything done.”

As it became clear that Takahashi and team weren’t going to hit their deadlines, Square’s higher-ups suggested that they just end the game after the first disc, when Fei and his team escape from Solaris.

“It was a rough way to end it, and I felt like if we do that, then the players will not be satisfied,” Takahashi told me. “So we had a proposal—I proposed that if we do disc 2 in this way that it turned out to be, we can finish the game with the current number of staff and the current time allotted for the schedule and the remaining budget we have.”

So they turned disc 2 of Xenogears into the montage that shipped with today’s game. Instead of playing through events like the world’s mutation and the search for Fei, you just have to watch them. And it was Takahashi’s decision—so he could finish the story he wanted to tell rather than cutting it off after the first half.

“I do think my decision was the right one to make,” said Takahashi. “Because if we had just ended at Disc 1 it would have been bad.”

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 26, 2017

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

i like that the reason he walks so weird is that he hurt his leg leaping out of the helicopter but the game literally never tells you this

I like to think its constipation because the game never tells you it isn't

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I just want Frank West to be relatable okay

Serf
May 5, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Xenogears is one of my all-time favorites. I wish they had been able to finish it the way they meant to.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Taintrunner posted:

I remember cranking up the time scale for Dead Rising 2 way, way up and it was a lot of fun just running around smashing poo poo and doing everything in one run.

You didn't even need to, you can do everything on your first run with plenty of time to spare. The only trouble spot is if you waste too much time on the poker game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

But is there any point in playing it if you've read/seen Name of the Rose? It looks like it's Literally The Same Plot?

I don't see why not. I mean, it's a game. The fact that it's a game automatically means you'll be experiencing it differently than if you just watched the movie or read the book.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Frank West is a good character because he's mostly a serious type who's interested in saving lives and getting a story, and that naturally lends itself to having him take photos of people in dramatic situations i.e. a fun gameplay mechanic. But he's also a blank enough slate mixed with the wide palate of the Willamette Mall that he eventually becomes a sundress-wearing wrestler carrying eight gallons of orange juice and a broad sword. I love his hunched hustle, I love the way he protects his camera, and I love making routes that gather up a bunch of people and guiding them to safety like Moses if the Red Sea was made of zombies. DR1, DR2, and DR2:OTR are all really good games.

Any time you have to face a vehicle sucks though. The prisoners in the Humvee, the helicopter, everyone on a motorcycle.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

someday I'll go through the free games on Steam and make a list, there's a lot now. here are some:

Heroine's Quest
Cayne (by the makers of STASIS)
Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls (very good!!!)
The Monster Inside
PanGEMic
The Desolate Hope (by the FNAF guy before he did FNAF)
Absent
Win the Game (prequel to Super Win the Game)
Emily is Away
Off-Peak
404 Sight
Fork Parker's Holiday Profit Hike (devolver)
In Case of Emergency, Release Raptor (the bionic dues dev)
Ley Lines
Awkward Dimensions Redux
Color Symphony
Electric Highways
Mainland
Null Vector
Relic Hunters Zero
Mandagon

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Capcom devs loving up Frank West from DR1 to DR4 falls in line with how badly they've ruined other flagship characters like Dante in DMC or Chris Redfield across multiple games, given how he looks like a different person in every goddamn game. Not even his current look in RE7 is in sync with the MVC appearance. It's probably for the best that they never make a Mega Man game again; he'll come out looking like that Halo Bomberman.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rip Rik Mayall

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
holy poo poo Ys Origin is so good and fun and cool! i'm so glad to hop on board a new series (yes i know this isn't actually the first game in the series)

is Hugo a lot less fun to play as for some reason? i picked Axe Girl because, uh, do i need to even explain that choice? but magic dude looked cool too

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Capcom devs loving up Frank West from DR1 to DR4 falls in line with how badly they've ruined other flagship characters like Dante in DMC or Chris Redfield across multiple games, given how he looks like a different person in every goddamn game. Not even his current look in RE7 is in sync with the MVC appearance. It's probably for the best that they never make a Mega Man game again; he'll come out looking like that Halo Bomberman.
Resident Evil was very decent at having characters look the same for a good while. Jill had the same face in REmake, REV1, RE5 and MVC and Chris was the same in RE5, 6, REV1 and MVC. Frank West even looked the same in DR1 and OTR, and DR4 can be entirely chalked up to new devs being given free reign for some reason.

RE7 Chris I suppose has to be something with them needing an actual actor for "full mocap"or whatever for some weird technical reason (?) because he does look nothing like the old model.

e: oh and chris also looked kinda similar to his old self in the newest CG RE movie which makes the RE7 change even more baffling and jarring. And talking about all this did remind me of how they've never had any idea what to do with Leon as a character, all of his iterations look and act very different. Best to just lie to yourself and imagine RE4 Leon was just a different character that went on to have more idiotic action movie adventures while his brooding doppelganger starred in the other things. Though in the CG movie Damnation he was also making a lot of bad jokes and actually that movie was really silly in general so maybe that is an exception

smuh fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 26, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I picked Hugo my first playthrough because I didn't know any better and yeah he's not as fun as Yunica but I still had a good time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't hate him, his biggest problem is that he uses ranged attacks in a game balanced for close melee combat so it's a bit too easy just to blast through anything without too much risk and can get boring. He's good for Nightmare runs though :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

smuh posted:

RE7 Chris I suppose has to be something with them needing an actual actor for "full old model.
They've said something to that effect but I don't think I buy it.

Like they somehow couldn't make Chris' model resemble the older games even slightly but had no issue with making the Molded?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't hate him, his biggest problem is that he uses ranged attacks in a game balanced for close melee combat so it's a bit too easy just to blast through anything without too much risk and can get boring. He's good for Nightmare runs though :v:

Well since I'll have to beat the game as him to unlock the third character, it's only fitting that he's easier! This is good news.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

So far this year there have been around 60 games that have 85 or over on Metacritic.

A mostly pointless stat but it helps put into perspective how absurd this year has been.

Sometimes i feel like the lamest games get 85 minimum so i wouldnt be surprised if even garbage year 2014 had nearly as many but im not checking

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Game review scores are still broadly skewed toward the top end and way more forgiving of inoffensive, tentpole AAA releases while the indies tend to be more polarizing. The more niche stuff that only gets 10 reviews written about them also tend to do well because of selection bias.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

Capcom decided in the last decade to not actually make worldwide marketed games in japan, opting for western satellite studios and it was a huge cockup of a thing they are only just clawing back

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Capcom bled almost all their talent in the last 10 years though, so they are kinda hosed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Game review scores are still broadly skewed toward the top end and way more forgiving of inoffensive, tentpole AAA releases while the indies tend to be more polarizing. The more niche stuff that only gets 10 reviews written about them also tend to do well because of selection bias.

That said, there have also been a ton of amazing games this year that got sub-85 as well.

HELLBLADE: 81
Uncharted: LL: 84
SUPERHOT: 82
Zero Escape 3: 81
Yakuza Kiwami: 80
Everybody's Golf: 78 ( :wtf: )
Before the Storm E1: 78
Knack 2: 69

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

precision posted:

Knack 2: 69

Nice

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's almost as if reviewers feel emboldened to be appropriately critical of smaller budget games, yet for some reason treat massively marketed tentpole AAA franchises with kid gloves.. :thunk:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

someday I'll go through the free games on Steam and make a list, there's a lot now. here are some:

don't forget Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Real hurthling! posted:

Capcom decided in the last decade to not actually make worldwide marketed games in japan, opting for western satellite studios and it was a huge cockup of a thing they are only just clawing back

Also Capcom has tons of these successful properties but they seem to think that unless they achieve Call of Duty numbers, a project is a failure. So they keep thrashing and re-designing things that were working and selling just perfectly fine.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Man I really need to see if I can run Ruiner well or if I should buy it for console instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's almost as if reviewers feel emboldened to be appropriately critical of smaller budget games, yet for some reason treat massively marketed tentpole AAA franchises with kid gloves.. :thunk:

That generally isn't actually the case. As mentioned before there's not a huge gap between big and sale releases review-wise in score. What happens instead is that there are fewer reviews and for indie stuff more likely to come from smaller publications in general and so they get more heavily weighted than they would for a large release.

The "grade school' review score is pretty true but a major problem with indie stuff is getting a lot of reviews. The fewer reviews the easier it is for a small number of bad or negative reviews to have a disproportionate effect on your scores.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Really Pants posted:

:yeah:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

SUPERHOT: 82

Technically a 2016 game, but the VR version is for all intents and purposes a complete remake and hit 2 out of 3 platforms this year.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Heroine's Quest is really good if you like Quest For Glory or similar adventure games. There's so much game for $0 that I threw the developer some money via their donation link because I strongly felt that they had earned it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That generally isn't actually the case. As mentioned before there's not a huge gap between big and sale releases review-wise in score. What happens instead is that there are fewer reviews and for indie stuff more likely to come from smaller publications in general and so they get more heavily weighted than they would for a large release.

The "grade school' review score is pretty true but a major problem with indie stuff is getting a lot of reviews. The fewer reviews the easier it is for a small number of bad or negative reviews to have a disproportionate effect on your scores.

All I know is that when a new mega-release lands, there's no shortage of instant 9/10 reviews from publications like realultimategaming.ru or someplace I've never heard of in my life that immediately inflate its metacritic score.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

All I know is that when a new mega-release lands, there's no shortage of instant 9/10 reviews from publications like realultimategaming.ru or someplace I've never heard of in my life that immediately inflate its metacritic score.
Yeah, because if you're running a small game review site you're gonna review all the big releases to try and drive traffic or because that's the most obvious thing to do.

If you're going out of your way to review some indie japanese golf game you're probably the kind of person to be a little more critical/in-depth

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I've finished Yakuza Zero, should i continue with persona 5? finally start dishonored 2? get my light level up in destiny? finally touch that copy of No Mans Sky I got for free?

Nah I'll just re-buy Final Fantasy 9

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I guess it is better than ending on a cliffhanger on disc 1. I think there definitely would not have been ANY more of that story if they had done it that way.

Really Pants posted:

:agreed:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Healbot posted:

Capcom bled almost all their talent in the last 10 years though, so they are kinda hosed.

losing the Platinum guys (Mikami, Kamiya) definitely was a factor

Macarius Wrench posted:

I've finished Yakuza Zero, should i continue with persona 5? finally start dishonored 2? get my light level up in destiny? finally touch that copy of No Mans Sky I got for free?

Nah I'll just re-buy Final Fantasy 9

play dishonored 2 as it's the fastest of all those, and sell NMS for Dishonored Death of the Outsider

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

Nina posted:

Man I really need to see if I can run Ruiner well or if I should buy it for console instead.

FYI there is a reddit thread claiming controls are not mappable for kb+m. It has full Xbox controller support.

Plays really good with Xbox controller.

Controls are not mappable on Xbox either. I guess with an elite you could alter them though. The way they are setup is pretty instinctive.

Anyone know what the push ups are for?

The game owns also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

DLC Inc posted:

losing the Platinum guys (Mikami, Kamiya) definitely was a factor

play dishonored 2 as it's the fastest of all those, and sell NMS for Dishonored Death of the Outsider

I'm an idiot and I refuse to sell video-games even if it's likely I'll never play them

• Locked thread