Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

wandler20 posted:

The jersey Ryan wearing is soooooo good.

:yeah:

I love that jersey/helmet combo. Sadly, the red helmets probably aren't coming back but those throwback black uniforms are sexy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

The jersey Ryan wearing is soooooo good.

:agreed:

It's the best uniform the Falcons have ever worn, tbh, and I want them to just go to that uniform full-time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
There are so many uniforms that were changed for no reason other than a "modern update".

When the Bucs dropped the creamsicle it was understandable. New ownership, new stadium, full rebranding etc. It also helped that the new unis were a great design and looked great.

The newest ones were just a change for sake of change and they look loving awful. Go back to the creamsicles or the previous unis IMO

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

weird Asian candy posted:

Please don't double down on the cheesy AFL style uniforms :pray:

https://twitter.com/MatthewTabeek/status/912407173195616256

gently caress yes, just read something saying they're going to Black/White with old school helmet (red).

*does a jig* LOOKIN' SHARP BOYZ

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

There are so many uniforms that were changed for no reason other than a "modern update".

When the Bucs dropped the creamsicle it was understandable. New ownership, new stadium, full rebranding etc. It also helped that the new unis were a great design and looked great.

The newest ones were just a change for sake of change and they look loving awful. Go back to the creamsicles or the previous unis IMO

Outside of the dumb alarm clock numbers I actually like the new unis.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

Outside of the dumb alarm clock numbers I actually like the new unis.

They're okay I guess, the numbers definitely push them into terrible territory but when the previous ones were so good, it makes the new ones look much worse by comparison.

Like seriously look at these! What was wrong with this:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

They're okay I guess, the numbers definitely push them into terrible territory but when the previous ones were so good, it makes the new ones look much worse by comparison.

Those are good indeed. Simple and not overstated. Of the new ones, I prefer the all white:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

These really were some of the BEST uniforms in the league. This is another thing Shiano did, isn't it?

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 26, 2017

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Chilichimp posted:

These really were some of the uniforms in the league. This is another thing Shiano did, isn't it?

SOME OF THE WHAT? Don't leave us hanging...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wandler20 posted:

SOME OF THE WHAT? Don't leave us hanging...

worst

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

These really were some of the uniforms in the league. This is another thing Shiano did, isn't it?

The change was done between the 2013-2014 year, so when Schiano left and Lovie came in. Even then I don't think a head coach has that much say so to completely change the look of the unis.

I just looked and Schiano was there the same amount of time that Lovie was. Why does it feel like Schiano was there so much longer?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

The change was done between the 2013-2014 year, so when Schiano left and Lovie came in. Even then I don't think a head coach has that much say so to completely change the look of the unis.

I just looked and Schiano was there the same amount of time that Lovie was. Why does it feel like Schiano was there so much longer?

Because he destroyed an an otherwise pretty solid football team and then got fired.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

It was the only way to get rid of the stench of Schiano. Also the MRSA. Had to burn the whole loving thing down.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
We can all agree this collar bullshit was the worst, right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chilichimp posted:

Ugh yeah the Saints were doing that poo poo too and it looks dumb.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

Because he destroyed an an otherwise pretty solid football team and then got fired.

I want to believe everything bad that's happened to the Bucs is on Schiano but you do know Raheem Morris, whose idea of practice was playing Madden in the locker room, was there before him right? He was 17-31.

Bucs haven't had a solid football team since Gruden was there and even at the end of his tenure it was in decline.

Chilichimp posted:

This is the first time I've ever seen this as anything other than spikes around the collar. I only just realized it looks like he's wearing a polo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

I want to believe this but you do know Raheem Morris, whose idea of practice was playing Madden in the locker room, was there before him right? He was 17-31.

Bucs haven't had a solid football team since Gruden was there and even at the end of his tenure it was in decline.

I mean, the 2010 season looked good on paper, right?

Josh Freeman regressed a little and then Raheem got the boot, but SHIANO THO?!?!?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Chilichimp posted:

Yes

Joey Freshwater posted:

I want to believe everything bad that's happened to the Bucs is on Schiano but you do know Raheem Morris, whose idea of practice was playing Madden in the locker room, was there before him right? He was 17-31.

I had high hopes for Morris.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Whatever, it's been a long and shite road, but if nothing else, it's brought the Koetter/Smith experience to Tampa, and those guys are actually good coaches despite the lovely clock management troubles.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

I had high hopes for Morris.

I did too, despite his coaching practices and complete lack of experience I really liked the guy a lot. He seems like he'd be a good dude to hang out and play Madden with wait poo poo

Chilichimp posted:

Whatever, it's been a long and shite road, but if nothing else, it's brought the Koetter/Smith experience to Tampa, and those guys are actually good coaches despite the lovely clock management troubles.

I really like Koetter and Smith. It's interesting how they switched roles in coming to Tampa but for now it seems like it's working well and they work well together.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

gently caress yes, just read something saying they're going to Black/White with old school helmet (red).

*does a jig* LOOKIN' SHARP BOYZ

Wait, what? Really? They are bringing back the red helmets??? Link your source!

Got me feelin' like

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

By the end of Raheem Morris' coaching era, all they did at practice was play COD, and the reason he wasn't fired was because there weren't enough people on staff to keep the lights on.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

weird Asian candy posted:

Wait, what? Really? They are bringing back the red helmets??? Link your source!

Got me feelin' like

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/strai...d7-7347611e39ce

quote:

Jeremy from Newnan, GA

I miss the all-black unis. Is there any possibility that we will ever see that uniform in the near future? I think it would be a great idea to have a blackout in Mercedes-Benz Stadium, especially during our division-rival games.

Matt: Jeremy, you and the thousands of other Falcons fans who have been asking me questions about the uniforms and jersey colors since the first day I started Straight from the ’Beek FINALLY have your answer: The Black is Back! The Falcons are going to don the all-black jerseys reminiscent of the 1990’s era Falcons uniforms and white pants this Sunday against the visiting Bills (and now I have MC Hammer’s “2 Legit 2 Quit” video with Deion Sanders and Andre Rison playing in my head). With the all-black jerseys, white pants and the old-school Falcons helmet logo returning Sunday, fans are encouraged to wear all-black to the game. Oh, wait. There’s more. I’ve been asked so many times about a uniform schedule and the Color Rush game … well, no more wondering: We’ve now got a 2017 Falcons Uniform Schedule page set up. Check it out. Y’all ready for a blackout Sunday?!?

oh, it's just the old-school helmet logo...

I guess the helmets are still gonna be black *roll eyes*

Some day, you'll get this right, Falcons front office. Some day.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/strai...d7-7347611e39ce

oh, it's just the old-school helmet logo...

The black on black is still a push in the right direction. The red helmets really make it pop though.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

The news was they are wearing their throwbacks twice this year, including this Sunday against the Bills :effort:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chilichimp posted:

quote:

In 2013, the league, based on the advice of its Head, Neck and Spine Committee and Player Safety Advisory Panel, passed a rule that prohibited teams from using more than one helmet in a given season. Those committees found that a broken-in helmet was far safer than one fresh out of the box.

For a number of teams, the new rule eliminated the option of wearing throwback uniforms, as their current helmets would not match their throwback uniforms.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/eagles-throwbacks-kelly-green-nfl-helmet-rule-patriots-rams

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I still don't get how a used smashed to poo poo helmet is better than a new one.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

wandler20 posted:

I still don't get how a used smashed to poo poo helmet is better than a new one.

I don't get it either, but I'm sure there is a certain amount of testing that goes into the helmet? I dunno, it is still weird. Or how hard would it be to maintain two helmets? I mean come on.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Also wouldn't that mean that helmets at the beginning of the season are significantly less safe than they are at the end?

Also not to beat a dead horse but this article low-key confirms that Jerry Richardson doesn't let his players protest:

http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article175417071.html

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

wandler20 posted:

It may have been utter bullshit trotted out by the NFL.

quote:

UW: I was talking to an NFL spokesman, and he didn't say anything about that. He said that when you switch out a helmet, it takes time to break in the new one, and that can cause safety issues if it isn't broken in well enough. Is that true?

EG: It was true 10 years ago, maybe even five years ago. But helmet technology now is much better. There's really no break-in process for about 90 percent of the helmets, at least in my opinion.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9694560/no-break-process-new-nfl-helmets

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Then make the helmet they wear all year red. I don't need any loving excuses from the front office about safety.

Do the right thing and make red helmets/black jersey/white pants be the year-round uniform.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Then make the helmet they wear all year red. I don't need any loving excuses from the front office about safety.

Do the right thing and make red helmets/black jersey/white pants be the year-round uniform.

I nominate you, Chilichimp, as tribute to lead us to this promised land

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I, too, want my professional football team to unabashedly rip off their uniforms from the local college team.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

In fairness, I honestly don't know who came up with this style first.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

I, too, want my professional football team to unabashedly rip off their uniforms from the local college team.

Red Helmet, Black Jersey, White Pants is the original Falcons uniform from 1966... which is why that is our throwback uniform.

Also, that dawgs jersey look like poo poo, hth. Stupid-rear end red collar has ruined an otherwise good look.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

Red Helmet, Black Jersey, White Pants is the original Falcons uniform from 1966... which is why that is our throwback uniform.

Also, that dawgs jersey look like poo poo, hth. Stupid-rear end red collar has ruined an otherwise good look.

I wanna say those were just random one-off alternates, with the normal black jerseys being alternates altogether. From what I remember the red collar wasn't that big.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I am aware that the Falcons have been ripping off UGA uniforms from the very very beginning.

quote:

The Falcons original uniforms featured red helmets, black jerseys, white pants, and striped black socks.

But there was a kick. Atlantans over at the Georgia Institute of Technology were angry an Atlanta-based team was donning University of Georgia colors. Georgia actually wore black jerseys way back in the day, and also wore white pants nearly identical to the Falcons during the start of the Dooley era (the Techies had a point). And, the Falcons road jerseys had black numbers, just like those pesky Dawgs. So, what did the Falcons do?

They wore two thin, almost unnoticeable gold stripes on their helmets from 1966-1969. . .Speaking of irony, the Falcons would not only trash the subtle gold helmet stripes in 1970, but they would look more like Georgia the following season.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/553045-observing-the-falcons-uniform-history
http://amarillo.com/blog-post/mark-haslett/2012-11-29/nfl-uni-blog-atlanta-falcons

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

idgaf who they rip off the red helmets with the old logo, black uni and white pants are the bomb and should be rocked at any and all times.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

just lol if your team has changed its uniform enough to have throwbacks

(please update the Panthers uniform jerry you geriatric gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

UGA hasn't worn a black top regularly since like the drat 30's or something. Their schtick is red and has been for a long-rear end time.

They still do black alternates like once/year, and every few years have the black-out game or w/e, but I don't fuckin' care. Red Helmet, Black Jersey, White pants is bangin' and the dawgs do not rock that look currently.

• Locked thread