Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao thunderbolt 3 is supposed to be the savior of display cables but macs still can't support more than one display on one in 20-loving-17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

a friend of mine is using a dell tb dock with her new MacBook. it works great except for networking. one cable to rule them all, eh?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the dell tb docks do not have a great reputation, but I have one of their usb-c docks and it works fine.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

the dell tb docks do not have a great reputation, but I have one of their usb-c docks and it works fine.

I have that same dock and it'll randomly decide to not register mouse clicks and keyboard commands. on my windows latitude business laptop for business

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yeah but if it has eg two hdmi ports, only one of them will actually work. apparently this is entirely a software problem, too

outstanding

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

I have that same dock and it'll randomly decide to not register mouse clicks and keyboard commands. on my windows latitude business laptop for business

i sometimes have problems w/ that when first connecting where it doesn't immediately recognize the usb devices, but i haven't had it disconnect during use.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

yeah but if it has eg two hdmi ports, only one of them will actually work. apparently this is entirely a software problem, too

outstanding

works for me. using internal 4K display and 2 external 4K displays.

quote:

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
Up to two displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output
Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
VGA, HDMI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
if you see a fan, they blew it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Management posted:

works for me. using internal 4K display and 2 external 4K displays.

no, i mean over one tb3 jack. no mst hub support. almost every tb3 dock with multiple video outputs says it only supports windows. so if i want to plug in all 3 external monitors and also charge the laptop i have... 0 ports left over

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

no, i mean over one tb3 jack. no mst hub support. almost every tb3 dock with multiple video outputs says it only supports windows. so if i want to plug in all 3 external monitors and also charge the laptop i have... 0 ports left over

you don't need a separate charger if you're connected to a tb3 monitor.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

you don't need a separate charger if you're connected to a tb3 monitor.

lmao you really think we have any of those

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

so my login issues were because weed mountain update messed up the ad binding despite it claiming it wasn't broken and things started working again with a re-bind. even better news was domain enrollment seems to work properly with the computer object getting placed in the computers container where you have permission to do it instead of wherever it was trying to place it before that failed and forced you to pre-stage the computer object in AD

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i installed high sierra and it went fine stop being pussies

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
back your poo poo up

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I back up to ~teh clod~

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I just installed High Sierra and ALL MY FILES ARE GONE and I'm set up as a new user!!Q qq

nah just kidding, it's working fine

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

back your poo poo up

dont back anything up its all fake news from big storage companies. they want you to buy hard drives to keep data you already have?? what a waste

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i got a lil' :420: scare when i first rebooted and updated itunes and tried to do a backup before restarting

did a restart and things have been fine since

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
i haven't updated and it has been an effortlessly easy process.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
tbh i don't really need to do backups where most of what i use the mba for work is in ~the clowd~ but seems responsible

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

i got a lil' :420: scare when i first rebooted and updated itunes and tried to do a backup before restarting

did a restart and things have been fine since

every time itunes let's me know that there's a new version out i just give a little chuckle and wonder how much worse have they made it and there's no way i'm going to find out

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've already paid for crashplan so I'm backing up to that even though it's going away soonish and it's taking for loving ever. I don't know what they did but they clearly don't give a poo poo about my data.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i back up my photos separately but i guess the local copies are the only thing that are worth doing a whole backup of

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Management posted:

I've already paid for crashplan so I'm backing up to that even though it's going away soonish and it's taking for loving ever. I don't know what they did but they clearly don't give a poo poo about my data.

Probably shoveling their cold storage in to glacier as fast as possible so its in some way recoverable if people decide they need to upgrade to Business whatever and overloading the disk arrays in the process

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

scroll all the way to the right, hit more, then edit and turn off everything you don't want

Thanks! now I can’t send my friends American Airlines stickers

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

did safari 11 remove webgl? the settings for it are gone and I hope let hell they removed that massive stupid liability instead of just forcing it on and removing the option to disable/prompt

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ios 11.0.1 is out I didn't bother readying the release bots just clicked update

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I actually find the fake Bluetooth disconnect from the control panel in ios11 to be useful. easier to hit that instead of pause when you're doing to power down your BT headphones and don't want the sound to flip back to device speakers

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

You know how in safari iOS you can long press a url for a context menu to open in a new tab and other stuff?

that’s really messed up now in iOS 11 and I’m not too fond of it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kenny Logins posted:

I actually find the fake Bluetooth disconnect from the control panel in ios11 to be useful. easier to hit that instead of pause when you're doing to power down your BT headphones and don't want the sound to flip back to device speakers

yeah the more I've thought about this idea the more I've liked it. most of the time I use the control panel to disconnect wifi/bluetooth its because i'm trying to drop from one specific connection, not disable the chip entirely.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah the more I've thought about this idea the more I've liked it. most of the time I use the control panel to disconnect wifi/bluetooth its because i'm trying to drop from one specific connection, not disable the chip entirely.
it's handy when your phone is being clingy to a really weak WiFi source and you just want to lte that poo poo

toggling "off" BT in control panel is basically like yanking the audio cord in days of yore

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah for me i always use it to drop off delta's wifi after touchdown because even on the ground it doesn't provide any internet access once you're under 10k feet. then i always forget to turn it back on once i'm at the office / hotel and oh woops turns out i was using lte for the past two days

fits my needs

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah for me i always use it to drop off delta's wifi after touchdown because even on the ground it doesn't provide any internet access once you're under 10k feet. then i always forget to turn it back on once i'm at the office / hotel and oh woops turns out i was using lte for the past two days

fits my needs

ive gotten used to deleting the gogowifi ssid when the captain tells the cabin crew to prepare for landing, so this change suits my needs.

say what you will about lovely discovery of 3D Touch, i got really used to using 3D Touch left edge of screen to switch apps and it sucks that is gone and replaced by nothing

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
3d buttz

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

creationist believer posted:

ive gotten used to deleting the gogowifi ssid when the captain tells the cabin crew to prepare for landing, so this change suits my needs.

say what you will about lovely discovery of 3D Touch, i got really used to using 3D Touch left edge of screen to switch apps and it sucks that is gone and replaced by nothing

it's coming back, at least

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

here's the write up on this https://www.synack.com/2017/09/08/high-sierras-secure-kernel-extension-loading-is-broken/

tldr: it's a new security feature that's not very good but also not a huge deal provided you don't install weird apps from internet forums

an exploit for this has been in metasploit for years

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

looks like i'm getting back my 6S today with screen repaired and battery replaced for free. the turnaround on their service is loving nuts, it was like 36 hours ago i was on hold trying to plead my case

also i went with a tempered glass protector for the 8 and although i have no illusions about "9h" hardness the feel of the glass is way better than the old plastic kind i used before. worth the 5$

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

looks like i'm getting back my 6S today with screen repaired and battery replaced for free. the turnaround on their service is loving nuts, it was like 36 hours ago i was on hold trying to plead my case

also i went with a tempered glass protector for the 8 and although i have no illusions about "9h" hardness the feel of the glass is way better than the old plastic kind i used before. worth the 5$

can you link the protector? never heard of what i presume to be a glass screen sticker

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

can you link the protector? never heard of what i presume to be a glass screen sticker
this is the s6 one but they're all basically the same and same price

https://www.amazon.ca/Protector-JETech-Premium-Tempered-Samsung/dp/B00V5WQL82

it comes with 2 screens hence why I say $5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
fyi: if you break your phone/watch/ipad and have AppleCare+ you can call them up and say the magic words "I want an express service replacement" they'll overnight you a new device for the same cost as you getting it fixed, and you just send back the old one when you get it.

• Locked thread