Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Montalvo posted:

I'm going to fire up Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time. Is there anything I should know before going in?

Turn as much of the HUD off as you're comfortable with. Icon spew undercuts the game's beauty and immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Best to just get used to regular stick movement. Just give it a bit of time, it's easy to switch: I used to play inverted but got tired of always having to go into options and invert axis. Took like an hour of getting accustomed, never looked back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

acksplode posted:

Turn as much of the HUD off as you're comfortable with. Icon spew undercuts the game's beauty and immersion.

Horizon works best when you set the HUD to Dynamic as it will only display stuff like quest text and waypoints when they're relevant.

This is personal preference also but I think Normal is probably a little too easy if you're familiar with Tomb Raidery controls, Hard or Very Hard are better balanced difficulties.

Status effects are really important, don't just sit there plinking away with arrows or you'll become ineffective super fast.

The ropecaster doesn't look like much but it's the most OP weapon in the game, stick it full of handling mods.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fame Douglas posted:

Best to just get used to regular stick movement. Just give it a bit of time, it's easy to switch: I used to play inverted but got tired of always having to go into options and invert axis. Took like an hour of getting accustomed, never looked back.

Every game I've needed y-inversion for has had it, so I don't think there's a need to switch.

Inverted x would be a different story.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 26, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holding the fire button down longer doesn't increase damage, just accuracy.

This needs to be emphasized, I was having a hell of a time with the graboid "boss" fight until I figured it out and just let it rip on him

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yo, if you missed out on the Humble Nordic THQ Bundle, you got another chance to get it.

Not_Log posted:

Humble THQ/Nordic Playstation Encore

Each tier is a complete bundle and I assume one key?
Everything is PS4 except where marked.

$1

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
Red Faction
Super Dungeon Bros
Deponia
ArcaniA: The Complete Tale

$8

Red Faction
Super Dungeon Bros
Deponia
Battle Worlds: Kronos
Destroy All Humans!
Legend of Kay Anniversary + (PS3)
Destroy All Humans 2!

$15

Red Faction
Super Dungeon Bros
Deponia
Battle Worlds: Kronos
Destroy All Humans!
Legend of Kay Anniversary + (PS3)
Destroy All Humans 2!
MX vs ATV Supercross (PS3)
Darksiders (PS3)
Darksiders II (PS3)
MX vs ATV Supercross Encore
Darksider II Deathfinitive Edition
Darksiders Warmastered

Tiers are limited too. The $15 tier has less than 7k keys.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yo, if you missed out on the Humble Nordic THQ Bundle, you got another chance to get it.

I hate that I can't redeem them on my EU account.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Eve Valkyrie Warzone just Eve Valkyrie but you don't need VR to play it?
Yeah, but Eve Valkyrie is bad don't play it

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nice!

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Phobophilia posted:

Am I completely poo poo out of luck? Will I be locked out of 1st person shooters like that, or Dishonored 2, etc?

Welcome, my brother. I knew there were others like you out there somewhere. I regret to inform you that Titanfall 2 and pretty much all bethesda games like Dishonored, Doom and Wolfentime are completely without true inversion and expect you to settle for half. But what's worse, there are 3rd person games that lack this important option.

Shadow of Mordor (no invert x)
Rise of The Tomb Raider (no invert x)
Fortnite (you guessed it)
Edit: Also stay away from The Division, Ghost Recon and Mad Max

I've encountered like 3 first person games that let me invert the x axis.

Destiny
Borderlands
Resident Evil 7
Edit: Overwatch too

You can follow #invertx on twitter where you'll find a chicken nugget posting screen shots of option screens and yelling at developers (yes I am that nugget)

The best thing you can really do is stay informed and be careful what you buy. There is hope though, when Horizon first shipped it lacked invert x but they eventually realized their mistake and added it about a month later.

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 26, 2017

boz
Oct 16, 2005

It's so good, won my second match with three kills.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is there any chance that the Pro will get a price cut this holiday season? I ask because I still have an OG matte finish PS4 but I recently purchased a 4K HDTV. And if I do get a Pro, what should I do with my OG PS4? Sell, Trade, or keep it?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

[quote="SamuraiPaul" post=""476790813"]

You can follow #invertx on twitter where you'll find a chicken nugget posting screen shots of option screens and yelling at developers (yes I am that nugget)

[/quote]

Haha, oh my god

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

spasticColon posted:

Is there any chance that the Pro will get a price cut this holiday season? I ask because I still have an OG matte finish PS4 but I recently purchased a 4K HDTV. And if I do get a Pro, what should I do with my OG PS4? Sell, Trade, or keep it?

Gamestop occasionally does tradein bonus deals that make it very worth it to upgrade trade-in through them. It just ended recently though so you have to wait to go that route.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Today is the first time I've heard about people playing with inverted X axis.

I understand inverted Y because a lot of people started with flight games. Not that I complain, just surprised that is actually a thing.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Do you know anyone who wants or needs one? I kept mine and gave it to my wife. She primarily games on PC, but wanted to play P5 and HZD when I was playing other stuff. If my wife hadn't wanted it, I probably would have traded it in on a day GameStop was having a bonus.

The Pro was $369.99 on Newegg the other day, too. Follow Wario64 for those discounts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SamuraiPaul posted:

Welcome, my brother. I knew there were others like you out there somewhere. I regret to inform you that Titanfall 2 and pretty much all bethesda games like Dishonored, Doom and Wolfentime are completely without true inversion and expect you to settle for half.

Is there some kind of real world example that matches x-inversion conceptually for you? I use y-inversion because most of the time game controls intuitively seem to me like Forward and Back rather than Up and Down and I can imagine a joystick acting like a neck or the camera controlling like a plane.

But I don't get x-inversion.

P.S. I love the accidental "Wolfentime". Makes me think of something like the Power Rangers or Ben Grimm. "It's Wolfin' Time!"

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 26, 2017

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Lobok posted:

Is there some kind of real world example that matches x-inversion conceptually for you? I use y-inversion because most of the time game controls intuitively seem to me like Forward and Back rather than Up and Down and if I have to explain to somebody they can imagine a joystick acting like a neck or the camera controlling like a plane.

But I don't get x-inversion.

P.S. I love the accidental "Wolfentime". Makes me think of something like the Power Rangers or Ben Grimm. "It's Wolfin' Time!"

Wolfentime was intentional, it was a joke similar to when I said I "yelled" at developers on twitter (when the worst I've done is called Square "you butts")

Anyway there is a real world example for inverting x and y. it's called a tripod.

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 26, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SamuraiPaul posted:

Wolfentime was intentional, it was a joke similar to when I said I "yelled" at developers on twitter (when the worst I've done is called Square "you butts"

Anyway there is a real world example for inverting x and y. it's called a tripod.

I don't have a game in front of me so I'm honestly getting mixed up trying to imagine it, but in a third-person game, doesn't y-inversion by itself already give you tripod controls? Do you use only one of x- and y-inversion or both combined?

Edit: n/m, you only talked about FPS games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lobok posted:

Is there some kind of real world example that matches x-inversion conceptually for you?

If there were literally a stick poking out of the back of your head that someone was manipulating to control your view, it would be inverted in both X and Y (push it left to swivel your gaze right with your neck as the pivot).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, don't mind me. I'm playing Just Cause 3 these days, which has a third-person view, first-person sniping, and third-person flight and I was trying to imagine x-inversion being used in all scenarios but I missed SamuraiPaul clearly referencing only FPS games where tripod/mounted gun controls make perfect sense.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Are there any hidden gems in any of those tiers? I kinda wanna play Red Faction for the nostalgia but if there are some games in the higher tiers worth playing I'll get them too.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I thought my wife was a freak when she asked me if she could invert the x axis. She's not a gamer and that was her first question when I introduced her to a shooter.
Good to know she's not the only one.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Lobok posted:

Yeah, don't mind me. I'm playing Just Cause 3 these days, which has a third-person view, first-person sniping, and third-person flight and I was trying to imagine x-inversion being used in all scenarios but I missed SamuraiPaul clearly referencing only FPS games where tripod/mounted gun controls make perfect sense.

You can invert the x axis in Just Cause 3 along with the y. however it completely fucks up the helicopter flight controls. my tripod analogy was for both first and third person shooters. for example I played Nioh and Metal Gear Solid V with first person aim and third person view inverted on both axis'.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

the panacea posted:

I thought my wife was a freak when she asked me if she could invert the x axis. She's not a gamer and that was her first question when I introduced her to a shooter.
Good to know she's not the only one.

Divorce her (clearly don't do that!, I got so much poo poo playing inverted y on Halo I had learn the other way)

ReverendDre fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 26, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Soooo, this Battle Royale mode on this game I can't remember the name of all the sudden (Fartnite). It's janky and all that. Not sure I love it. But as a dirty console pleb, it gives me a taste of what makes PUBG so special.

[edit] Also I kinda hate it. I land, other people land. I'm dead because someone has a shotgun and I just loving got my feet on the ground, so... love/hate, let's say...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 26, 2017

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
The control issue winding me up right now is that Drive Club won't let me map gear shifts to the left stick (fwd / back). Just let us map things wherever, devs.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
My PS4's disc eject bug has evolved and now it turns my PS4 on AND ejects the disc! :haw:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it is learning. kill it before it gains full sentience

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Feenix posted:

Soooo, this Battle Royale mode on this game I can't remember the name of all the sudden (Fartnite). It's janky and all that. Not sure I love it. But as a dirty console pleb, it gives me a taste of what makes PUBG so special.

[edit] Also I kinda hate it. I land, other people land. I'm dead because someone has a shotgun and I just loving got my feet on the ground, so... love/hate, let's say...

That has been the majority of my PUBG experience, so you might have an easier time coping when that lands on console.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Next it's going to power on, eject your disk and automatically start Knack.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i can see the email to sony support now. "you'll never believe how my ps4 taught itself to power on and buy knack"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mark Cerny is a genius, after all

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Montalvo posted:

My PS4's disc eject bug has evolved and now it turns my PS4 on AND ejects the disc! :haw:

I had the same problem start up exactly after my warranty expired. Have you tried standing it up?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dont teach it to stand what is wrong with you people

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Awesome! posted:

i can see the email to sony support now. "you'll never believe how my ps4 taught itself to power on and buy knack"

sounds like a clickbait title

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Awesome! posted:

dont teach it to stand what is wrong with you people

I'm sorry I facilitated the evolution of Skynet but I really wanted to finish the Witcher 3

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He goes to buy Bloodborne...and you won't believe what happens next.

knack

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Awesome! posted:

sony support was very understanding that one time my dog bought a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Video Nasty posted:

That has been the majority of my PUBG experience, so you might have an easier time coping when that lands on console.

I get the kind of hardcore strategy involved with being killed within 5 seconds of touching disown. I guess what makes it suck is how slow and lovely it is getting into the next game. Like, nearly 5 min of loading and some skydiving and then, oop, time to start the loading all over.