Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
It's nice that she did all that, but someone with a history of coke use and stabbing people should still not get to become a surgeon FFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

pookel posted:

It's nice that she did all that, but someone with a history of coke use and stabbing people should still not get to become a surgeon FFS.

Are you under the impression that doctors don't use cocaine?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Good to see the british courts taking a stand against domestic violence:

Oxford student who stabbed boyfriend gets suspended sentence

"Aw, I know you almost killed your boyfriend, but you didn't mean it! You don't deserve anything but the bare minimum of punishment! Your precious feelings are the most important thing here, clearly."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

What do you mean there's a difference between getting coked up and stabbing someone vs operating on someone with a scalpel?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

A young well to do white woman had substance abuse/addiction become mitigating factors in her sentencing. I can't help but feel a poor black male would have that count as an aggravating factor at sentencing time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a crime like that, she should be doing at least 10 years.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
The crime amounts to attacking some guy she'd slept with using bread knife while high on some substances. After stabbing the guy she tried to harm herself but he stopped her. The sentencing would have been completely different had she tried to outright kill someone by stabbing them to death as some people's posts here seem to imply.

Randaconda posted:

"Aw, I know you almost killed your boyfriend, but you didn't mean it! You don't deserve anything but the bare minimum of punishment! Your precious feelings are the most important thing here, clearly."

She didn't almost kill him he just required a few stitches on his fingers and his thigh afterwards.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Varkk posted:

A young well to do white woman had substance abuse/addiction become mitigating factors in her sentencing. I can't help but feel a poor black male would have that count as an aggravating factor at sentencing time.

You can make statements like this about the wider justice system in the UK if you want, but it's irrelevant when it comes to judging an individual case where a judge, correctly in my view, considers mitigating factors when making their final judgement.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Varkk posted:

Money does get you a better lawyer, at least.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She got off because she's a pretty white girl with money. A shame.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
From what I'm seeing and hearing, the judgement doesn't sound terrible, and is probably reasonable in context, but that doesn't also mean that the justice systems in most countries are hosed up and biased and that played a big role here. Both things can be true at the same time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pick posted:

Furthermore, Dr. Anna Stubbefield's daughter came to the courtroom to protest her mother's innocence while wearing a Rick and Morty t-shirt featuring "Tiny Rick"

I thought this was a really funny joke. loving hell when I scrolled down I longed for death

e: Like originally this post was gonna be "this is a really good joke, Pick"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

duz posted:

Are you under the impression that doctors don't use cocaine?

No in fact that's the problem with letting someone with that history have access to prescription drugs + a high-stress job where loving up can get people killed.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, it's obvious human life means very little to her.

Also, there's like one lab in the US that's allowed to make cocaine for medical use. Mainly for eye surgery, I believe.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Doctors are the most sociopathic group of people around so it's fine.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pick posted:

Doctors are the most sociopathic group of people around so it's fine.

You have issues with doctors, but also, you're almost certainly right.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pastry of the Year posted:

You have issues with doctors, but also, you're almost certainly right.

I think a lot of people who want to be doctors are noble and kind, and the indefensibly abusive medical system in the USA either corrupts them or drives them to suicide.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm pretty sure King Leopold's Ghost was mentioned in this thread before, but it just got recommended to me by a Congolese refugee client of mine. I only just started reading it, but it's pretty heavy. I knew a little bit of what happened, but holy poo poo was it worse than I could have imagined.

Yea, I read that book. Leopold is really one of history's greatest monsters, nothing short of an evil greedy arsehole.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Randaconda posted:

Also, there's like one lab in the US that's allowed to make cocaine for medical use. Mainly for eye surgery, I believe.

Sinus surgery! My husband and I both had it. Brought back the late 80s for me.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Randaconda posted:

No joke but its usually rhinoplasty and oral surgery. They just pack it up there as a numbing agent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Madkal posted:

Yea, I read that book. Leopold is really one of history's greatest monsters, nothing short of an evil greedy arsehole.

Even his contemporaries who thought colonialism was swell were horrified by Leopold's behavior, as this cartoon illustrates:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

pookel posted:

No in fact that's the problem with letting someone with that history have access to prescription drugs + a high-stress job where loving up can get people killed.

It's all good until she gets mad at a patient and severs their spine.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Randaconda posted:

There's a test for Horner's Syndrome that uses cocaine eye drops. I used to work at an ophthalmologist office that did a weekly satellite clinic in rural Missouri and the techs had to load up everything they would need for the whole day and take it with them. One day here was a suspected Horner's Syndrome patient so they had to take the cocaine drops with them, but the drops had to be refrigerated so someone put a big note on the exit door: DON'T FORGET THE COCAINE

Anyway, I don't think cocaine is used in testing for Horner's Syndrome anymore mostly because it's hard to get.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There's a test for Horner's Syndrome that uses cocaine eye drops. I used to work at an ophthalmologist office that did a weekly satellite clinic in rural Missouri and the techs had to load up everything they would need for the whole day and take it with them. One day here was a suspected Horner's Syndrome patient so they had to take the cocaine drops with them, but the drops had to be refrigerated so someone put a big note on the exit door: DON'T FORGET THE COCAINE

Anyway, I don't think cocaine is used in testing for Horner's Syndrome anymore mostly because it's hard to get.

Pffft, I'll give you Tony's number.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
She's in the UK anyway, but since when do addicts limit themselves to one drug? Pretty sure giving someone with a history of substance abuse access to heavy-duty painkillers is still risky even if their previous drug of choice was cocaine and the current options are morphine, ketamine and synthetic heroin (fun fact, synthetic heroin is used in the spinal injection for c-sections in the UK).

Also, cocaine can be used in the US for dental surgery as a local anesthetic, per my former Marine friend who once noticed it was on the list of possible medical supplies that Navy dentists could requisition.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

pookel posted:

She's in the UK anyway, but since when do addicts limit themselves to one drug? Pretty sure giving someone with a history of substance abuse access to heavy-duty painkillers is still risky even if their previous drug of choice was cocaine and the current options are morphine, ketamine and synthetic heroin (fun fact, synthetic heroin is used in the spinal injection for c-sections in the UK).

Also, cocaine can be used in the US for dental surgery as a local anesthetic, per my former Marine friend who once noticed it was on the list of possible medical supplies that Navy dentists could requisition.

Not necessarily. A lot of people find what they like and stick to it. I used to be a coke fiend and I never abused painkillers, first because opiates make me super queasy, but second because I hate the kind of dopey high you get on them. Not to defend the stabby person, but drug habits are more complex than grabbing anything that will induce an altered state of consciousness.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Xibanya posted:

Not necessarily. A lot of people find what they like and stick to it. I used to be a coke fiend and I never abused painkillers, first because opiates make me super queasy, but second because I hate the kind of dopey high you get on them. Not to defend the stabby person, but drug habits are more complex than grabbing anything that will induce an altered state of consciousness.

I don't know because I was always too much of a whiny bitch baby to try drugs (other than caffeine), but I thought that the class of drugs you gravitated toward depended on what it was you were trying to compensate for. Like, if you are exhausted from working 18 hour shifts with 4 hours of sleep between them, cocaine is going to look much more appealing than hydrocodone. If you have chronic pain, you are probably going to stick to pain killers and maybe weed. If you get to the stage that you don't care what drugs you are taking, you probably aren't holding down a job, either.

Edit: if you want to puke and have terrifying visions, you take ayahuasca.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

It's like booze. People have preferences and they tend to stick with it. I'm a vodka lady, but will drink (in descending order) rum, --------------------------------------------------------------------------------everything else....and then scotch/whiskey.

I'm guessing that people that like the drugs are pretty similar in that respect.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Captain Monkey posted:

No joke but its usually rhinoplasty and oral surgery. They just pack it up there as a numbing agent.

I had sinus surgery and a septoplasty years ago. During the follow up, the surgeon told me about using cocaine as a numbing agent. This caused me a bit of concern as I was working for a defense contractor and had a security clearance. I pictured a random drug test and coming up positive for cocaine and the hoops I was going to have to jump through to explain it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MightyJoe36 posted:

I had sinus surgery and a septoplasty years ago. During the follow up, the surgeon told me about using cocaine as a numbing agent. This caused me a bit of concern as I was working for a defense contractor and had a security clearance. I pictured a random drug test and coming up positive for cocaine and the hoops I was going to have to jump through to explain it.

"Before I pee in this cup, here's my written prescription for cocaine."

Do defense contractors not ask if you're taking prescription medication before drug testing?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah standard for any testing is to ask about any medication and get documentation for it. At our work you would still fail the screening test and are stood down(on full pay) while the official results come back.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

pookel posted:

She's in the UK anyway, but since when do addicts limit themselves to one drug? Pretty sure giving someone with a history of substance abuse access to heavy-duty painkillers is still risky

1. You don’t know many drug users, do you?

2. I guess you don’t believe rehabilitation is possible either for criminals or addicts. If you did, you’d applaud her going through rehab and therapy and believe she has a chance at being a good doctor. loving shame on you.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

It's like booze. People have preferences and they tend to stick with it. I'm a vodka lady, but will drink (in descending order) rum, --------------------------------------------------------------------------------everything else....and then scotch/whiskey.

I'm guessing that people that like the drugs are pretty similar in that respect.

noooooooot so much. I mean yeah there are degenerates like me who've tried and enjoy most stuff (with a hard no policy for heroin/meth/other destroy your life poo poo) but "drugs" are too different in effect to be interchangeable like types of booze. you may not like whiskey, but when you drink it you get drunk. if I get home from a night out and want to wind down and there's no weed, I'm not gonna be asking "okay, anyone got some coke? No? LSD? cmon guys I need a drug"

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

She's in the UK anyway, but since when do addicts limit themselves to one drug?

:laffo: Are you serious? Okay, D.A.R.E. officer pookel.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

pookel posted:

She's in the UK anyway, but since when do addicts limit themselves to one drug? Pretty sure giving someone with a history of substance abuse access to heavy-duty painkillers is still risky even if their previous drug of choice was cocaine and the current options are morphine, ketamine and synthetic heroin

Haha you don't know a thing about drugs or users of drugs. Like seriously, do you think potheads are just gonna go on a cocaine binge if they run out of weed? Do you think coke head stockmarket guys are gonna suddenly start injecting heroin if they can't get their fix? This is a really dumb take. She's getting her life together. Get off your high horse, especially with as stupid as you look with that post.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fruit Soup Riot posted:

:laffo: Are you serious? Okay, D.A.R.E. officer pookel.

Gateway drugs!!!! They are all gateway drugs!!!!! One day you are doing coke next day you are huffing krokodil out of some Russian prostitutes butthole.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
also hilariously naive about drugs posters do you watch television or movies or read or generally experience the world??????

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Tbh some people do just want anything mind-altering, like if there's ketamine instead of coke available they're just like OK, guess it's gonna be that kind of night instead. Also some people like benzos and opiates so they can sleep after a night of uppers. At the very least if you have a serious habit you probably have friends who'd want whatever kind of drug you've got access to.

Definitely not agreeing that you shouldn't be allowed to be a doctor if you've Done A Drug, but it's not completely mental to worry about a coke addict having access to painkillers. On the other hand for doctors and surgeons it's probably easier to just buy whatever you want than steal from work, it's more likely to be nurses who swipe stuff because they get paid poo poo

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
*shakes thread* my nigga have u tried LSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Besesoth posted:

*shakes thread* my nigga have u tried LSD