Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

The part where his pure, innocent gf was helping him grip his pen so he could work himself harder to death in the hospital was touching

That's what has me interested in reading it. I feel like it'd be a really candid look at what it's like to be a succesful weekly manga author/artist/duo even if it's presented in a really positive way. Or is that shown to be hosed as it is?

Death Note chat: Interestingly when Near mentioned working with Light he says he believes Mello to be responsible for the theft of the Death Note and kidnappings. However he says he doesn't have a photo of Mello even though he showed us one in the previous episode. I wonder if he already suspects Light of being Kira or its just a precaution or something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, all the bullshit with their awful non-relationship is always portrayed as being beautiful and pure. that his partner started dating a girl he got along with and then they eventually got married is never deliberately used to contrast how dumb the idea of an artificial long-distance relationship is.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
all the industry stuff in bakuman is legitimately interesting. my favorite parts are seeing the manga ideas they come up with in a show-within-a-show kinda way. theres a bit of apologia for the publishing and editorial side of the industry, but thats to be expected

the love story between the main character and his gf is just a bit insipid, thats all

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That relationship stuff sounds quite bad but if it's a fairly small part of it I think I'll give it a go because the other stuff sounds interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sometimes it is the main focus, sometimes it is completely ignored. and yeah, the parts about manga are pretty good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

amigolupus posted:

I think the worst part is how at the end of the series when misogynistic internet assholes were slutshaming Miho for the crime of being in a relationship, they use their ridiculous relationship as the main reason to get everyone to back off. It's presented as this pure love, so that somehow makes it okay for a female VA to get in a relationship. Bakuman was fun, but it was also pretty hosed up.

I was reading this manga about this dude who cross-dresses and joins AKB48, and it basically played the whole "idols dating (or even being seen alone with) a man is a betrayal of all their fans" thing totally straight. Like, the protagonist's response is "mm yes, this is reasonable and it is very honorable for them to give this great consideration to their fans." Like it would show these crazy fans all outraged at this idol who was seen with a dude (in a non-romantic situation even) and the situation was resolved by the idol apologizing profusely and the general tone was that this was a reasonable thing for them to do.

It's really surreal, to be honest. Like, just putting yourself in the mind of someone who would think this sort of thing is reasonable is upsetting.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Really the whole idol industry is surreal.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched episode 30 of Death Note which I guess is the last one I ever watched because people started rioting outside Near's house. Really excited to see the conclusion in the next few days!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The closest analogue to the idol industry in America is Disney teen pop stars

We're not quite as weird about it but honestly its politics are pretty similar

Disney is also responsible for anime

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 26, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Tarezax posted:

The closest analogue to the idol industry in America is Disney teen pop stars

We're not quite as weird about it but honestly its politics are pretty similar

Disney is also responsible for anime

I think early on people were super weird in the initial years when they set out to do their own thing and not just be a Disney brand (although starring in stuff like Spring Break is can be seen as overcompensating, but well....)

Time works its magic pretty well and now we can at least see celebs like Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez as women who are doing their own thing as opposed to, "hey, washed up teen pop star."

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Let's be honest here, who even buys all this idol poo poo besides the weird dudes that don't want them to date. They kinda put themselves into a corner here by catering to the weirdos.

Also don't most idols get paid really low salaries? Why do they even do it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
being famous is really appealing to some people

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nerdz posted:

Let's be honest here, who even buys all this idol poo poo besides the weird dudes that don't want them to date. They kinda put themselves into a corner here by catering to the weirdos.

Also don't most idols get paid really low salaries? Why do they even do it?

Groups like AKB48 actually have considerably high mainstream popularity as far as I'm aware, though I'm not sure how much of their revenue comes from "normal" sources rather than otaku buying 30 copies of a CD to get a handshake ticket.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
every time I see a notification for a new chapter of fire punch, I just kind of sigh and go "I guesssssssss". I don't even know why I'm bothering. it's creepier and worse than it's ever been.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

:aaaaa:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Punkin Spunkin posted:

every time I see a notification for a new chapter of fire punch, I just kind of sigh and go "I guesssssssss". I don't even know why I'm bothering. it's creepier and worse than it's ever been.
please don't read garbage or subject others to it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

It had such a good premise too. I dropped it way early, that zany woman was annoying as hell and completely broke the pace of the story.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

never thought I'd see you say this considering you've read some series I wouldn't even sniff but it's a fair point, I'm just gonna drop this garbage. I blame you guys since I got it ITT

love those freakish Chi no Wadachi faces. I'm not sure I liked Mari as much as Flower of Evil, but both of their series are kinda imperfect. I like how creepy and slow this is though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel so bad for the kid in that. Like, since he's still a kid and it's his mom he doesn't really have any reasonable recourse. I'm going to be quite surprised if his love interest doesn't get murdered or something.

I'm kinda wondering where the story can go, though. Like, we get that his mom is creepy, but it's not clear where things can go other than continuing to show his mom being all crazy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Groups like AKB48 actually have considerably high mainstream popularity as far as I'm aware, though I'm not sure how much of their revenue comes from "normal" sources rather than otaku buying 30 copies of a CD to get a handshake ticket.

It's pretty much wrecked the state of the Japanese music charts because all of the top selling acts are idol groups so all other forms of music are distantly trailing the sales charts since every new idol group sees minimum 100k sales from a few thousand dedicated nerd fans.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Punkin Spunkin posted:

never thought I'd see you say this considering you've read some series I wouldn't even sniff but it's a fair point, I'm just gonna drop this garbage. I blame you guys since I got it ITT
I mean I could have called you on throwing stones in glass houses but didn't, guess I should have if you're gonna be a poo poo about it

and what's this hateboner about bad series you seem to have with me, like point out series I've recommended that built this image of me you seem to have because I'm genuinely curious, there's some I've recommended in the past that then went on to completely, utterly poo poo the bed but other than that I don't really think there's any genuinely bad series that I tell folks to read

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean I could have called you on throwing stones in glass houses but didn't, guess I should have if you're gonna be a poo poo about it

and what's this hateboner about bad series you seem to have with me, like point out series I've recommended that built this image of me you seem to have because I'm genuinely curious, there's some I've recommended in the past that then went on to completely, utterly poo poo the bed but other than that I don't really think there's any genuinely bad series that I tell folks to read
It's cool dude. Not bad series, just creepy ones. People here seem to have a different tolerance for poo poo like sexualizing underage girls (like sorry but if that happens even a TINY bit I'm out personally), so it's not just you. You've just read a lot of series with poo poo that would've made me drop it chapter 1.
Somebody has to do it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like what was that one h.s. series that everyone here loves where it's about like...a superpowered indestructible girl and later turns into a straight up battle manga? I'm good. Don't really want a series that has pantyshots from children. That's just me though, respect! We all have different lines.
Y'all can call out say, jiro Matsumoto, but generally you can tell which series are the creepy ones he made Cuz Japan, and under that sorta principle you'd have to ditch The Devil & Me cuz the same guy does Prison H.S. Unfortunately a lot of mangaka do weird poo poo on the side. It's just what you choose to consume. Like, I can't read dowman anymore and that's fine. Guess I'm missing out.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 28, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What series have I recommended that sexualize children? That's kind of a serious claim and if you're going to push that I'd like some specifics. If it's something like I'm In Mari, well, when I recommended that, at the time it was about figuring out the mystery of the MC being stuck in Mari's body, and hadn't yet gone down the rabbit hole of crazy that it did. Masturbation Master Kurosawa has sexualization but the entire point of that series, and IIM, were about people with serious issues. Like I'm looking through recommendations I've made and those are the worst examples I've found, are you sure you're not mistaking me for someone else?

edit:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like what was that one h.s. series that everyone here loves where it's about like...a superpowered indestructible girl and later turns into a straight up battle manga? I'm good. Don't really want a series that has pantyshots from children. That's just me though, respect! We all have different lines.
Y'all can call out say, jiro Matsumoto, but generally you can tell which series are the creepy ones he made Cuz Japan, and under that sorta principle you'd have to ditch The Devil & Me cuz the same guy does Prison H.S. Unfortunately a lot of mangaka do weird poo poo on the side. It's just what you choose to consume. Like, I can't read dowman anymore and that's fine. Guess I'm missing out.
oh, you made a second post. Are you saying Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is your litmus test for "sexualization of children" because if so that's...I think Dragon Ball has more sexualization than that.

You sound like you're a Lurdiak alt.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 28, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel like going back and doing the post history research is too much work so lemme just say: okay you've definitely never gotten into anime/manga series where underage girls are sexualized. Not like that's...97% of manga lol. You specifically left an impression on me what can I say..
Miss the part where I was recommending Fire Punch, incidentally. You just came off as kinda snippy and well, I remember some of the poo poo atdrw is totally fine consuming.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I feel like going back and doing the post history research is too much work so lemme just say: okay you've definitely never gotten into anime/manga series where underage girls are sexualized. Not like that's...97% of manga lol. You specifically left an impression on me what can I say..
Miss the part where I was recommending Fire Punch, incidentally. You just came off as kinda snippy and well, I remember some of the poo poo atdrw is totally fine consuming.
Given the propensity for people, especially this forum, to go "you like anime which means you're a pedophile"(like 4 people have gotten banned in the last few months for making that specific accusation), please don't make blanket assumptions or accusations towards folks on here about sexualization of children, especially when you're not even sure of the grounds on which you're making that claim. I loving loathe the amount of this media that goes towards placating the worst, darkest corners of anime fans, for every Yona of the Dawn, there's a dozen Kancolles. For every Dungeon Meshi, there's a hundred stepsister romance series.

Like, my recommendation thread I made was specifically to break that really dumb stereotype for people outside of this subforum, that there's more to the media form than just high school harems, even if there's a loving LOT of those.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 28, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have no stake in this conversation either way but you're way overreacting dude

Anyway

Nate RFB posted:

Ancient Magus Bride 40

You have only yourselves to blame, Ruth/Elias. Ruth especially, you should've known better :colbert:

I'm really appreciating how Chise is acting for herself, even if it's probably more for Stella's sake than her own. I still am kinda worried about what I mentioned wrt this series earlier in the thread (Chise and Elias heading toward being severely codependent) but for now at least it's good to see that it's not just on a straight line in that direction.

Also a lot of angry nerds ruffled up about how she should be grateful to Elias for saving her life and I guess to them that means he owns her life now? It's been amusing seeing the response to the chapter from the more emotional portions of the fanbase, both male and female.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnonSpore posted:

I have no stake in this conversation either way but you're way overreacting dude
then why even remark on it? and I've had multiple people go after me for literally exactly what I said to the point of getting banned over it, so I'm less willing to just "brush it off" when someone is calling me a creeper if not worse completely unfounded.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Because you and him are duking it out in this thread duh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fair :v:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Nice meltdowns...

I've been reading Zero: Man of Creation and it's pretty ridiculous and fun. It's about a guy who can replicate objects perfectly, so perfectly they can't be detected as counterfeits. It has a real globetrotting feel to it and Zero is comically rich and talented - the Tony stark of art recreationists.

Not a great manga, but definitely an unusual premise.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Fire Punch still interests me more than a lot of manga because it doesn't seem like there's any clear direction and watching the author fumble along is entertaining. If he actually makes it stand up as a completed work in the end I'll be very surprised.

Bakuman is fun because you get into all the rivalry between the authors and interesting stuff about how the industry works and concepts are fleshed out, but then you remember that it's a field where people are always working themselves to death or exhaustion with little time for life, when it's so unnecessary. Even the monthly manga artists do it by putting so much more detail into their work. It's a strange place, Japan.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EmmyOk posted:

There's a few points that sound like really heavy cursing but not gently caress lol. I like the animation but the metal isn't as good as "KURUGUURUGU"

AnimeLyrics for Death Note OP2 posted:

HEY HEY! Ningen SUCKER!! Aa ningen... ningen FUCKER!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yona of the dawn and kancolle are both good

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've been reading Ancient Magus' Bride recently and I have been liking it quite a bit.

Somehow watching the anime it's not nearly as enjoyable. I don't know why. The anime is missing something that I cannot put my finger on, compared to how fun the manga is. Anyone else feel this way?

Also, the way Elias is drawn when he's sort of chibi-fied reminds me a LOT of the mini Rak Wrathraiser from Tower of God.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

yona of the dawn and kancolle are both good
What makes kancolle good, please elucidate

in terms of what makes it a good product, rather than why you like it, I mean. I'm all for enjoying garbage, but that's different from something being of actual good quality.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Kancolle is not good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sorry but it's actually me who is the arbiter of acceptability about here, and my hot take is that people can think that what they like is good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm all for enjoying garbage, but that's different from something being of actual good quality.

Not necessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K-on is a good seinen and yui is the best