Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DoktorLoken posted:

I had a friend of a friend on FB give me a thinly veiled threat about UCMJ last night...

"Are you currently serving SGT SO AND SO?" "Article 88 blah blah"

I'm guessing he looked me up in global after seeing the Army on my FB work history; joke's on you, I'm IRR and UCMJ doesn't apply to reservists in a non-duty status. Not to mention Article 88 only applies to commissioned officers. Probably some koolaid drinking lifer toolbag who incorrectly quotes regs all the time.

I hope article 88 is to do with punching Nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

I know you're making a throwaway joke and probably totally understand what I'm about to say but it pisses me off when people act like the 3/5ths compromise was a bad thing. I mean yes it's definitely not woke to consider people not full persons but in the context of "these people are literally enslaved and have no rights, should we count them towards the population of their state so that the government responsible for the continuation of their enslavement receives more power?" then I think it's pretty loving obvious that it was objectively in their interests to be counted less or preferably not at all.

lmao

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41398193

Seven people were arrested in Egypt after pictures of them holding up a rainbow flag at a Mashrou' Leila concert went viral.

Gonna make their US shows over the next couple of weeks interesting. The last time they toured in the US it was right after the Miami club shooting.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Like all those guys who got punished under Obama? Oh wait.

A lot of people got away with poo poo but I saw a couple get nailed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

my kinda ape posted:

I know you're making a throwaway joke and probably totally understand what I'm about to say but it pisses me off when people act like the 3/5ths compromise was a bad thing.

There is literally no situation where saying this is a valid opinion.

Like "Bill Cosby only raped 75 women, it is not like he raped 100" levels of invalid.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That is itself an extremely bad comparison

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

His point is that it limited the power of slave owning states, rather than giving them a 1:1 count for slaves. In other words, paradoxically, the less that slaves counted toward the population of a state (and therefore their number of seats in Congress), the less power slave states had.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

I know you're making a throwaway joke and probably totally understand what I'm about to say but it pisses me off when people act like the 3/5ths compromise was a bad thing. I mean yes it's definitely not woke to consider people not full persons but in the context of "these people are literally enslaved and have no rights, should we count them towards the population of their state so that the government responsible for the continuation of their enslavement receives more power?" then I think it's pretty loving obvious that it was objectively in their interests to be counted less or preferably not at all.

Hmmm yes a better solution below

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

holy crap, didn't see this one coming, Saudi is allowing women to drive, finally

https://twitter.com/aleeharissi/status/912753444691349504

Their insurance rates are going to be hosed.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Two Finger posted:

It warms my cold dead heart to see, of all people, a fuckin' Kiwi is proselytizing in the name of Saint Sherman.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

It warms my cold dead heart to see, of all people, a fuckin' Kiwi is proselytizing in the name of Saint Sherman.

Sherman owns gently caress the haters

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Two Finger posted:

Sherman owns gently caress the haters

I'm from Atlanta and say burn 'em all.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee is retiring and will not run for re-election next year.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/912769070088511488

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

goddamn

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

There is literally no situation where saying this is a valid opinion.

Like "Bill Cosby only raped 75 women, it is not like he raped 100" levels of invalid.

Alright, I'll explain it for you then.

Slaves are property. They have to rights to vote whatsoever. The only way they will be freed from slavery as a whole is if slavery is outlawed. This can happen via state law or federal law. The states in which they are enslaved are run primarily by slave owners, so there's no chance in hell they're going to decide to outlaw slavery on the state level.

We're making a constitution to form a federal government and we're going to assign each state representation (which equals power) according to their population. Obviously all of the free people who are going to live under this government are going to be represented, and of course they would naturally want to be fully represented.

But what are you going to do about all these people who are slaves and have no right to vote? They're human so technically they're part of the population, but they will under no circumstances be allowed to vote. Are you going to A) count them all as a full person which will give a ton of power to the slave states that can only be used by the portion of the population allowed to vote, which is slave owners. This means that slave states are going to have significantly more voting power per actual voter than free states(this is what the slave states wanted in real life) Or B) not count them as people at all which will make the free and slave state voters be evenly proportioned to their populations? (this is what the free states wanted in real life)

Which, as a person who wants to see slavery abolished, do you pick?

Two Finger posted:

This is the correct choice but we have to form a government first.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

my kinda ape posted:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tweets are expanding to 280 characters.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

shyduck posted:

Tweets are expanding to 280 characters.

this is both the best and worst news in politics

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

Dude's a healthcare company executive lol

Honestly expected him to be a GOP senator.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

Honestly expected him to be a GOP senator.

whats the difference

(i don't know which way the health industry swings in politics so this may be an inaccurate joke)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

whats the difference

(i don't know which way the health industry swings in politics so this may be an inaccurate joke)

Senators are dumb enough to want to do the work and have the profile of someone in a political office. CEOs just throw money at their employees that want to do the work and have the profile of someone in a political office.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Two Finger posted:

I hope article 88 is to do with punching Nazis

Nice page snipe.

Unfortunately, the UCMJ article 88 isn't about punching Nazis. It's about throwing commissioned officers in jail when they call the President a Nazi.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Sonic breached. 5mil cards and transactions.

Krebs to feast this eve.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ceiling fan posted:

Nice page snipe.

Unfortunately, the UCMJ article 88 isn't about punching Nazis. It's about throwing commissioned officers in jail when they call the President a Nazi.

However it only counts if it's not used as a term of endearment or camaraderie, e.g. "Good news, brother, the president's a nazi too!"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The Acting Administrator of the DEA is stepping down

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ceiling fan posted:

Nice page snipe.

Haha holy poo poo

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Immanentized posted:

Sonic breached. 5mil cards and transactions.

Krebs to feast this eve.

source?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/912791399619284992

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
One of the few times I'm glad I went to Arby's instead

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Barf

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Prop Wash posted:

That is itself an extremely bad comparison

It's more like Cosby thinks he should be able to rape 100 women, other people think he should rape nobody, and we reach a compromise where he gets to rape 60 because we want to be fair.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's more like Cosby thinks he should be able to rape 100 women, other people think he should rape nobody, and we reach a compromise where he gets to rape 60 because we want to be fair.

No it's not, and the reason was already posted. It limited the power of the slave states.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Why in the gently caress do fast-food places store credit card numbers? Why does anyone?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Godholio posted:

No it's not, and the reason was already posted. It limited the power of the slave states.

Right, exactly. Cosby (the South) wants to rape (get representation for slaves), reasonable people (the North) say he shouldn't be raping at all (no representation for slaves), and the compromise is that he gets to rape some (slaves get partial representation).

The absurdity of the position is that the South wanted representation for their property in the first place. Don't forget that the option wasn't just full representation and 3/5ths, the other side of the argument was no representation at all.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

All of your data is freely available on the dark web for all to use.

Eat Arby's.

@nihilist_arbys

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird cooch posted:

Why in the gently caress do fast-food places store credit card numbers? Why does anyone?

Attackers usually compromise the point of sale systems themselves. If the card is swiped, the number, expiration date, CVV2, and account holder name are all readable in plaintext before being encrypted and sent to the bank for authorization. Think of it like a keylogger on your computer.

If a chip is used, this information is encrypted between the card and the PoS, but mag strip systems are still widely in use at more than half of all US retailers.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Right, exactly. Cosby (the South) wants to rape (get representation for slaves), reasonable people (the North) say he shouldn't be raping at all (no representation for slaves), and the compromise is that he gets to rape some (slaves get partial representation).

The absurdity of the position is that the South wanted representation for their property in the first place. Don't forget that the option wasn't just full representation and 3/5ths, the other side of the argument was no representation at all.

This analogy is taking what was an interesting thought experiment in a stupid direction.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

lightpole posted:

This analogy is taking what was an interesting thought experiment in a stupid direction.

Yeah, the short of it is that was a nonsensical (though basically politically necessary) compromise that validated a disgusting institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Knowledge is knowing what the 3/5ths compromise was for and how it was a true compromise on several abhorrent things that tried to help.

Wisdom is saying 'it was bad' and leaving it alone.

• Locked thread