Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

BisterdDave posted:

So I'm about 20 hours in, and I am loving everything about Breath of the Wild. I was thinking about getting the season pass, are most people who got it satisfied with DLC 1 so far? Has there been any rumors or news about DLC 2?

the main thing in the first pack is end game content. it's really cool and fun, but I'd say to go ahead and finish the game and then pick it up when you are starting to feel the lack of direction and it'll give you something else to work towards.

Also the map tracing thing is really cool after you've sunk like 60 hours into the game amd watch it for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Healbot posted:

Earlier 3D Zeldas would rarely reach the 20 fps treshold on N64.

Let's just say 30 fps a lot of the time is a big step up from that.

Most people won't notice much difference between 30 or 60fps unless they know to look for it. That said, I'm glad that 60hz TVs are still the norm and that 120hz TVs are a rarity because holy lol the insanity of people demanding consoles run games at 120fps would be some next level poo poo.

Kaubocks posted:

i stand with my good friend doctor tim whatley in saying that golf story for the nintendo switch will be game of the year two thousand and seventeen

Be grateful it comes out this year because it wouldn't have a chance in hell of being GOTY in 2018.

...shame I never got my survey after playing through the Octopath Traveller demo, though. :(

Modus Pwnens posted:

I want Stardew to come out the same day as Golf Story just to see this thread explode. :hehe:

Having it come out the same day, or one day before it, would be pretty drat funny.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 26, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LethalGeek posted:

Big titles are the same boring poo poo I played a dozen times already gimme weird indy stuff and/or Splatoon cause it kinda was the indy title.

Honestly if BotW had been OoT 4.0 I'd have chucked it in the trash hard enough to put a hole in my floor.

This is why I love Nintendo games most. They aren't perfect but most of their sequels just have a completely different feel while the usual AAA game is just "This Game Again but with Better Graphics 4".

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
[quote="“Stan Taylor”" post="“476794032”"]
Also the map tracing thing is really cool after you’ve sunk like 60 hours into the game amd watch it for the first time.
[/quote]
It'd be useful from the start really, so it's not really a waste to get the DLC early even if you won't get to the other content for a while.

On the other hand you might lose a bit of the lost/unguided exploring aspect, which is part of the appeal of the game. Depends if that might be frustrating one way or the other I guess.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

This is why I love Nintendo games most. They aren't perfect but most of their sequels just have a completely different feel while the usual AAA game is just "This Game Again but with Better Graphics 4".

It was funny when someone in this thread thought the Switch would be DOA because Ubisoft or whoever said they had no plans to bring their generic yearly rehash games to it

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Anyone have Lego Worlds patch notes. I already see they updated the logo but what else?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Online Play and optimisations, apparently.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm not sure I totally agree with that. Some of their franchises feel quite stale. I'm mostly thinking of Animal Crossing and Pokemon (Sun/Moon did a bit to mix things up, but not enough), and before BOTW, Zelda. I'm hopeful for Switch versions of both that will reevaluate those series as BOTW did with Zelda.

But even their most iterative sequels still have a charm and a polish to them that shows a uniquely high level of care.

E: I also like their willingness to constantly try out new IPs.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 26, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

KingSlime posted:

Yep especially as sony takes note of the popularity of the switch

I'd buy it, PS4 line up is stronger than switch line up

I'd own both portables with much gusto

Haha good luck getting an x86 console onto a portable form factor.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Evil Fluffy posted:

Most people won't notice much difference between 30 or 60fps unless they know to look for it. That said, I'm glad that 60hz TVs are still the norm and that 120hz TVs are a rarity because holy lol the insanity of people demanding consoles run games at 120fps would be some next level poo poo.

You've gotta have a newer TV for HDMI to do 120 Hz anyway. I have a 120 Hz Sony TV from 2014 but it will only do 60 Hz over HDMI, which is a shame because I wanted to play Deus Ex:HR in 3D. It works but only at 30 FPS.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah the closest thing might be some terminal a la PS Vita

but who knows tech is C R A Z Y, maybe this hypothetical portable would be even weaker than the regular PS4 models

I'm not an expert on computer architecture differences but the switch is pretty dang impressive for what it is

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ometeotl posted:

The new Sony PSP3, with an Intel Atom processor! It can... uh...

*Sony rep slides off stage*

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ometeotl posted:

Just as well, Sony's Andrew House just told Bloomberg at TGS today that they're not planning any kind of response to Switch and are just going to work on mobile gaming instead because of the larger user base on phones.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

lol yeah. It's crazy that on top of all the other impressive things about this console that was obviously rushed to market to cover for the Wii U flopping, it also prepares Nintendo for the future by jumping to ARM well ahead of their competition.

Policenaut posted:

Just as well, Sony's Andrew House just told Bloomberg at TGS today that they're not planning any kind of response to Switch and are just going to work on mobile gaming instead because of the larger user base on phones.
Smart, but I would've enjoyed watching Nintendo kick the poo poo out of another Sony handheld.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Stardew Thursday?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frankston posted:

Stardew Thursday?

Nope. Golf and Picross Thursday.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

acksplode posted:

Smart, but I would've enjoyed watching Nintendo kick the poo poo out of another Sony handheld.

What? Why? What a weird thing for an adult to express

Competition is cool and good

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

What? Why? What a weird thing for an adult to express

Competition is cool and good

I'm not saying competition is bad? I'm saying it would've been fun to watch Sony release yet another premium handheld that gets torn to shreds by a plastic toy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I guess we all get our kicks somehow?

I guarantee you it would be even funner to have two awesome portables with great line ups to choose from! Portable p5 or bloodborne anyone?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

I guarantee you it would be even funner to have two awesome portables with great line ups to choose from! Portable p5 or bloodborne anyone?

If they make a portable p5 it'll be on the switch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Vita was DOA and Nintedo is the only company with any sort of consistent success in the handheld market.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Sure, but I have a hard time placing myself in the fantasy world where Sony can release a handheld that runs Bloodborne but isn't burdened by the awful tradeoffs that'd be required to make that work. I would've loved to play Vice City on the go back in 2005, but the idea of a handheld gaming system with a spinning disc drive and a big hi-res screen was a joke due to the battery technology available at that time, and it was fun to watch it flop when matched against the weird cheap mutant-looking DS. It's fun to watch bad ideas fail, especially when it markets itself as premium and high-end against a design that's simpler and more humble.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Vita was DOA and Nintedo is the only company with any sort of consistent success in the handheld market.

I don't know about doa but yeah it was frustrating to see sony squander that potential

Cuz let's face it the Vita feels more premium than anything Nintendo has ever released, including the switch, and the switch doing good showcases how people were craving a nicer high end portable

Also why would atlus release p5 on switch? Sony doesn't have an exclusivity deal with them?

I know 3ds got persona q but that's a spin off so I figure they can be more lax

p5 on switch would own so drat hard though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

KingSlime posted:

I don't know about doa but yeah it was frustrating to see sony squander that potential

Cuz let's face it the Vita feels more premium than anything Nintendo has ever released, including the switch, and the switch doing good showcases how people were craving a nicer high end portable

Also why would atlus release p5 on switch? Sony doesn't have an exclusivity deal with them?

I know 3ds got persona q but that's a spin off so I figure they can be more lax

p5 on switch would own so drat hard though

Remove your enter key from your keyboard

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

the switch doing good showcases how people were craving a nicer high end portable

lol no it doesn't, the Switch is not a high-end mobile device in 2017. It means people like a $300 price point for their handheld gaming system. My phone is twice as expensive and it's a dang Android.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Most people can't tell when they're watching 4:3 SD content stretched out to 16:9, so what "most people" notice isn't really a good argument. Most people are idiots.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

acksplode posted:

lol no it doesn't, the Switch is not a high-end mobile device in 2017. It means people like a $300 price point for their handheld gaming system. My phone is twice as expensive and it's a dang Android.

A 300 dollar price point is higher end than anything nintendo has ever released though?

I don't mean high end compared to your android, I mean high end compared to what is traditionally seen in the portable gaming market (where cheap is the name of the game since the game boy days), also the Vita may have flopped but didn't the psp do alright for itself?

It's certainly a beloved machine in the homebrew scene at any rate

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

A 300 dollar price point is higher end than anything nintendo has ever released though?

It is, and they had to justify it by saying that it doubles as a powerful home console. No one buys the Switch because of its beefy hardware or nice build quality. It has a plastic screen for gently caress sake.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Compared to the 3ds though it's a massive jump, even with that lovely plastic screen

Maybe most people didn't buy it for it's beefier hardware (in relation to Nintendo portables) but I sure as hell did

Fully realized portable Zelda is stunning god drat

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Does golf story drop at 12 est or pst?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I am hoping they release the pro dock with stronger gpu/cpu etc. in the near future. I play docked like 90% of the time anyway

PRO DOCK BABY

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

GPD Win! :v:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
GPD Win's Law

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

[quote="“XyrlocShammypants”" post="“476799720”"]
I am hoping they release the pro dock with stronger gpu/cpu etc. in the near future. I play docked like 90% of the time anyway

PRO DOCK BABY
[/quote]

Quick Reddit thread search indicates that the USB-C connector doesn't have the bandwidth due to no Thunderbolt. It's a nice idea, though.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

KingSlime posted:

I don't mean high end compared to your android, I mean high end compared to what is traditionally seen in the portable gaming market (where cheap is the name of the game since the game boy days), also the Vita may have flopped but didn't the psp do alright for itself?

Ya, PSP was not a flop or failure. It sold very well (especially in Japan). Vita had tons of potential but Sony just didn't do well pushing it and their short sightedness in using proprietary memory screwed them in the long haul. The 3G was a decent idea, but I think you could only DL games with it, not actually do multiplayer. But that was more a factor of the times.

I like both the PSP and Vita. I think they have a better form factor than the DS/3DS, and better hardware (especially screens). However, Sony dropped the ball on first party titles and getting more AAA support. That said, I enjoy the DS and 3DS and probably split time pretty evenly between those era Sony and Nintendo handhelds (though a lot of my handheld gaming is split with the GBA... and the Switch obviously).

Honestly, with Uncharted and God of War wrapping up, I am not sure what I'd want out of a new Sony handheld other than remote play and indies. I'd definitely want something with full sized analog sticks for FPS games and whatnot.

Maybe if they put a X2 in one they can get a lot of 3rd party ports over from the Switch and compete with the extra power. But apparently they have no interest (they didn't have interest the day after the Vita released.. so what do you expect).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

Unless you're an idiot like me who updated his.

[Edit: oh you're talking about the PSP, not Vita]

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Square-Enix's Spelunker Party (NOT SPELUNKY) is coming to the US on PC and... only Switch? Well that's good because the Switch version is somehow mechanically the best one on consoles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVICu0BnhFo

October 19th for $20 USD, free Switch demo coming on the 7th.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

PRO DOCK BABY

Yeah, before launch I was really hyped for the Switch as a portable but the rocky nature of the Joycons with the weight distribution that this thread talked about earlier topped with it feeling cumbersome for me to use properly kept my Switch in its dock almost permanently. It's so weird, I hold the thing comfortably and push up on the left stick and it always goes up and to the left a little, so I just play docked with Pro controller now.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Switch docked is the non pro way to play.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Apparently that Stardew game you guys like got officially approved today and a release date will be coming soon.

https://isstardewvalleyoutonnintendoswitchyet.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/912770131188731906?s=03

• Locked thread