Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No, barkeepersfriend it to your heart's content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I thought barkeeper's friend was only for really tough cleaning jobs. I bought a can of it along with my stainless steel stuff a year ago and I've yet to use it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I doubt it will erode your pan to any noticeable degree in your lifetime. There are some people online who use it daily on bath fixtures.

You will find yourself getting annoyed with using it more often than once a month however

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah, its enough of a pain in the rear end that I basically only go through with it as part of the greater home cleaning experience. I have my pans hanging so if I'm having company I'll make them presentable.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
So, the OP mentions the Good Grips flexible turner as a non-stick friendly spatula, and I found one on sale recently.

But compared to my prior one, it's a piece of crap!

The Dreamfarm Chopula, stupid name notwithstanding, is thinner, more flexible, more sturdy, more heat and scratch resistant, and better shaped, at the same price point.

So as much of a kitchen scrub as I am, I can't recommend it enough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'll buy it and test it out

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Argyle posted:

Is it a bad idea to use Barkeeper's Friend on my tri-ply every single time I use it?

I get that this question has been answered but I am worried... what exactly would cause you to use BKF every time you use your pans? That sounds like bad technique. Your pans should usually be fine after cooking in them unless you messed up somehow or used the wrong pan for the job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So this is how my range works. Single coil on the left side, dual coil on the right side.

Moved my sausage/marina over to this burner to simmer while I started my noodles.

I thought I had it set to single burner low (7 o'clock) but really it was pointing to 1 o'clock (dual death burner high)

Slid my dutch oven over to that burner. Put my noodle water on the other burner, set it to high. Went in the other room and started to setup my new wifi router. 10-15 minutes later, I smell burning. Kitchen is full of smoke. gently caress.

So now I need to buy another enameled dutch oven and I really hate that stove. I've caught myself doing that before but didn't catch it fast enough this time. :argh:

I hate double-ender (:dong:) dials. They should put a light or something on the active end of the dial. Right now there's just a small bit of white paint. I think I'm going to get some orange vinyl sticker or something.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 26, 2017

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Taima posted:

I get that this question has been answered but I am worried... what exactly would cause you to use BKF every time you use your pans? That sounds like bad technique. Your pans should usually be fine after cooking in them unless you messed up somehow or used the wrong pan for the job.

They certainly don't need it, but I just like my pans looking factory-fresh. It's the first brand new set of cookware I've ever purchased in my life, so I'm being a little obsessive about their appearance. I'll get over it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Argyle posted:

They certainly don't need it, but I just like my pans looking factory-fresh. It's the first brand new set of cookware I've ever purchased in my life, so I'm being a little obsessive about their appearance. I'll get over it.

Grats on the cookware! That makes sense if you're talking about the outside of the pans. I remember doing the same thing the first time I got an All Clad set. I hate the process of using BKF so that ended pretty quick, YMMV.

But just to be super clear: the full inside of the pan should be more or less spotless/ factory fresh after cooking- whether that's via a pan sauce cleaning the fond out, or a nip of wine or water at the end of the session to boil the bits off and maybe use the rough side of a sponge.

Then you just wipe it with a thin layer of oil and it's prepped for the next meal.

If you do find yourself in a situation where the pan cannot be cleaned on the inside via easy tactics, the next step should be wondering if you used the correct pan.

But again, if you're referring to the outside of the pan, cosmetically, that's a whole other thing and good on you if you're willing to maintain the shine.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

So this is how my range works. Single coil on the left side, dual coil on the right side.

Moved my sausage/marina over to this burner to simmer while I started my noodles.

I thought I had it set to single burner low (7 o'clock) but really it was pointing to 1 o'clock (dual death burner high)

Slid my dutch oven over to that burner. Put my noodle water on the other burner, set it to high. Went in the other room and started to setup my new wifi router. 10-15 minutes later, I smell burning. Kitchen is full of smoke. gently caress.

So now I need to buy another enameled dutch oven and I really hate that stove. I've caught myself doing that before but didn't catch it fast enough this time. :argh:

I hate double-ender (:dong:) dials. They should put a light or something on the active end of the dial. Right now there's just a small bit of white paint. I think I'm going to get some orange vinyl sticker or something.

Stick a powerful magnet adjacent to the ends of the double burner band. Tape a toothpick to the knob, sticking out past the outer diameter of the knob. Now you have a machine guard in place that you have to consciously disengage to use the double burner. Plus the knob would be asymmetric so you'd know which end is the business end.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend me a slow cooker? My current one boils everything to hell even on low, and recipes that worked fine in my old one (which is now gone) come out overcooked in this one.

Edit: I know low/high on a slow cooker is how fast it gets to its final temperature, I'm just trying to emphasize that this thing gets too hot too fast

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like my Instant Pot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

DoubleDonut posted:

Can anyone recommend me a slow cooker? My current one boils everything to hell even on low, and recipes that worked fine in my old one (which is now gone) come out overcooked in this one.

Edit: I know low/high on a slow cooker is how fast it gets to its final temperature, I'm just trying to emphasize that this thing gets too hot too fast

Is your current one a Rival Crock Pot

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

Is your current one a Rival Crock Pot

No, it's a Hamilton Beach.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Subjunctive posted:

I like my Instant Pot.

Yeah I could never go back to a crock pot.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DoubleDonut posted:

No, it's a Hamilton Beach.

I have a 'crock pot' it works pretty well. All the fuss has me considering an instant pot but eh, where would I put it?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Murgos posted:

I have a 'crock pot' it works pretty well. All the fuss has me considering an instant pot but eh, where would I put it?

Where your crock pot used to be.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

Where your crock pot used to be.

Yeah, I gave my old crock pot to my sister as soon as I got an instant pot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I thought I was going to replace my crock pot with an instant pot, but it turns out instant pots have way smaller interiors. No good if you like making bigger stuff like pork shoulders.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Get a bigger instant pot and put it where your instant pot used to be

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Looking at the anova circulator, are the 100 extra Watts of the WiFi version make it significantly better? Is the WiFi itself that useful vs Bluetooth?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The wifi is more useful (mainly so that you can control it remotely) but I personally don't use either the bluetooth or wifi functions.

I haven't used the wifi one in a 4.75 gallon cambro yet, but I imagine the 100 extra watts will be useful there. The 4.75G cambro stuffed full of meat is juuuust at the edge of what the 800 watt cooker can handle. When I made 72 hour short ribs I noticed the temperature at the far corners was 2 degrees below the target temp of 136°F, so once a day I would rotate the ribs. I am assuming that the 900 watt version will be able to maintain that temperature more evenly across the whole tub. Or maybe not! I dunno, maybe the limiting factor is the circulator power. Maybe it's losing heat through the sides faster than it can circulate the heat to the far corners. Haven't done the tests. Maybe I need to put a cambro inside a cambro to insulate it better instead.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 27, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Anne Whateley posted:

I thought I was going to replace my crock pot with an instant pot, but it turns out instant pots have way smaller interiors. No good if you like making bigger stuff like pork shoulders.

Hmmm, I make pork shoulders all the time in my Instant Pot. Did you buy the 3qt by mistake or something?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

wormil posted:

Hmmm, I make pork shoulders all the time in my Instant Pot. Did you buy the 3qt by mistake or something?

Lot of variance even between the butt and picnic let alone whole shoulders

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've never seen a crock pot big enough for an actual whole shoulder. Is this a repurposed bathtub?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My crock pot is 5 quarts, but it's oblong, which is super helpful for big cuts of meat. My instant pot is the Lux60, which is allegedly 6 quarts. Even allowing for different shapes, I don't believe the instant pot holds more, I'm gonna have to test it with water. I do know that at least under pressure, the instant pot can't be filled near the rim, which I definitely do with the crock pot.

The pork shoulder I buy is sold as "whole pork shoulder" and it's about twice the size of what they label "half pork shoulder," but I'm sure it's not like an entire pig's leg.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Pork shoulders around here are sold as "pork shoulder roast", a series of pieces of meat tied with string. Have I been getting the wrong kind?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Mine is bone-in, skin-on, and needs long, low, slow cooking. One huge lump of dark meat, no twine involved, and nothing like a pork loin roast -- how's yours compared to loin?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

rgocs posted:

Pork shoulders around here are sold as "pork shoulder roast", a series of pieces of meat tied with string. Have I been getting the wrong kind?

A pork shoulder here is sold in 10-20# chunks, single piece, no string, fat cap still on. Bone-in or boneless.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anne Whateley posted:

I do know that at least under pressure, the instant pot can't be filled near the rim, which I definitely do with the crock pot.

Do you keep your crock pot under pressure?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sometimes when part of the pork shoulder is pressing against the lid, but I know it'll shrink while cooking, I'll put heavy cans on the lid to make sure it's a good seal until it shrinks. That counts right

(I obv don't cook under pressure in the crock pot, but in the instant pot, even when not under pressure I don't think you can fill it that high)

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

Mine is bone-in, skin-on, and needs long, low, slow cooking. One huge lump of dark meat, no twine involved, and nothing like a pork loin roast -- how's yours compared to loin?
Definitely not loin. There's a lot of dark meat, but there's also a lot of silverskin subsectioning the meat. Now I'm trying to remember if it is actually made up of multiple pieces of meat or if it's just folded onto itself and then tied up. I'll take a photo next time I get one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I buy butts or picnics, never a whole shoulder. I'm surprised you could fit one in a crock pot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ya'll... I mostly make soups and stews in my crock. I'd love to ditch it for an Instant Pot for all my needs... can I do soups (or can I do them...better?!) in an I.P.?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 29, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What I buy looks more or less like this: https://recipesorreservations.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/picnic-shoulder-details.jpg?w=630 (imgur doesn't let you upload from mobile anymore?)

The whole thing can be bigger or smaller, the arm part can be longer or shorter, but this general idea. It yields about two 7-cup tupperwares full of pulled pork.

e: and I definitely don't put anything in the crock pot with it. Seasonings and a little water for the bottom, but nothing with volume.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 28, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-E785S264-Anodized-Nonstick-Dishwasher/dp/B0170TFNXM

So I picked up these pans a few weeks ago and I love em but they don’t come w lids and I can’t seem to find one to fit both. Just a set for 10” and 12” pans. Any ideas?

Also, I was thinking about treating myself to a new 12” down the road and was thinking of cast iron. Any recommendations?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

The wifi is more useful (mainly so that you can control it remotely) but I personally don't use either the bluetooth or wifi functions.

I haven't used the wifi one in a 4.75 gallon cambro yet, but I imagine the 100 extra watts will be useful there. The 4.75G cambro stuffed full of meat is juuuust at the edge of what the 800 watt cooker can handle. When I made 72 hour short ribs I noticed the temperature at the far corners was 2 degrees below the target temp of 136°F, so once a day I would rotate the ribs. I am assuming that the 900 watt version will be able to maintain that temperature more evenly across the whole tub. Or maybe not! I dunno, maybe the limiting factor is the circulator power. Maybe it's losing heat through the sides faster than it can circulate the heat to the far corners. Haven't done the tests. Maybe I need to put a cambro inside a cambro to insulate it better instead.
Pulled the trigger on it. Nice deal on the Canadian Anova site, $70 CAD off ($199 -> $139 CAD) the Bluetooth/800 Watt model and $90 CAD off ($259 -> $169 CAD) the WiFi/900 Watt one.

Edit: $112 and $136 in USD.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Which one did you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Which one did you get
WiFi/900 watt one. Figured the $30 CAD difference wasn't worth me agonizing over which one to get. And from what you say the extra watts may come in handy when cooking big batches of food for freezing, which is one of the things I want to do.

Edit: I also looked at the Joule and saw 1100 watts, and... they don't ship to Canada, so that was easy.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 28, 2017