Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have a credit card that has a $500 limit. I use that for my purchases, and my savings/checking stay completely separate from that because jesus gently caress there are so many data breaches flying around it's just god drat pointless trying to secure yourself from them. Get a card with a low limit, use that, when it inevitably gets compromised shrug your shoulders and tell the credit card company to figure it the gently caress out, it's their money not yours. At this point anyone using credit/debit combo cards linked to their actual personal accounts is basically living on borrowed time waiting to get cleaned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

That Works posted:

Knowledge is knowing what the 3/5ths compromise was for and how it was a true compromise on several abhorrent things that tried to help.

Wisdom is saying 'it was bad' and leaving it alone.

My whole point in bringing it up originally was that 95% of the time anyone mentions it they think it was bad for the wrong reason. I regret starting all this!! I will drop it now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I have a credit card that has a $500 limit. I use that for my purchases, and my savings/checking stay completely separate from that because jesus gently caress there are so many data breaches flying around it's just god drat pointless trying to secure yourself from them. Get a card with a low limit, use that, when it inevitably gets compromised shrug your shoulders and tell the credit card company to figure it the gently caress out, it's their money not yours. At this point anyone using credit/debit combo cards linked to their actual personal accounts is basically living on borrowed time waiting to get cleaned out.

It's not like a credit card with a high limit is any harder to deal with if it gets compromised. Companies are so used to dealing with fraud it literally just takes a short phone call going "wasn't me" to resolve.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Personal liability for a credit card with a $500 limit is the same as for one with a $50,000 limit. (It's zero by law)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I know the goony response is typically "don't gently caress with debt" but imo the actual best way to go is to 1) have multiple credit cards so you still have a line of credit in case one gets hosed, 2) use credit cards for everything you possible can and 3) don't ever, ever loving use a debit card anywhere. Credit is vastly safer than dealing with cash or debit.

Credit cards are disposable. Finding out that there was a breach means absolutely nothing to the consumer besides a bit of rear end-pain setting up automatic payments again.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights/status/912500099174957056

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I know the goony response is typically "don't gently caress with debt" but imo the actual best way to go is to 1) have multiple credit cards so you still have a line of credit in case one gets hosed, 2) use credit cards for everything you possible can and 3) don't ever, ever loving use a debit card anywhere. Credit is vastly safer than dealing with cash or debit.

Credit cards are disposable. Finding out that there was a breach means absolutely nothing to the consumer besides a bit of rear end-pain setting up automatic payments again.

Basically this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The real danger is some rear end in a top hat has accounts or liens in your name you don't even know about. Not the inconvenience of canceling credit cards.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

The real danger is some rear end in a top hat has accounts or liens in your name you don't even know about. Not the inconvenience of canceling credit cards.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing people can do with access to your SSN and other PII, which typically isn't associated with a credit card breach. We're all boned on that anyway, thanks to Equifax and OPM.

Is Equifax even offering legit credit monitoring? I can't remember if that was a real thing or a scam. I'm still riding on my free service from the OPM.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

my kinda ape posted:

My whole point in bringing it up originally was that 95% of the time anyone mentions it they think it was bad for the wrong reason. I regret starting all this!! I will drop it now.

No biggie, I understood where you were coming from

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, that's the kind of thing people can do with access to your SSN and other PII, which typically isn't associated with a credit card breach. We're all boned on that anyway, thanks to Equifax and OPM.

Is Equifax even offering legit credit monitoring? I can't remember if that was a real thing or a scam. I'm still riding on my free service from the OPM.

So, everyone is effectively being lied to by the bureaus and other places that've been breached.

here it is in plain English

MONITORING DOES NOT DO poo poo

You want a freeze. Bureaus HATE freezes, they'll lie, cheat, and dissemble to prevent you from doing it. Get a freeze. They'll try to give you a "lock", which no one really knows in terms of cause, effect, and benefit.
Get a freeze at all four bureaus.
Turn on Two factor Auth with any and all financial accounts.
Start a relationship with your main financial institutions (have a banker that knows you, go to the branch, do stuff in person).

Monitoring brings the bureaus more money and effectively rewards them for loving up. Do you own, check your poo poo. Sign up for daily digests of your transactions. Check your retirement accounts weekly. Keep a handle on your business.
There's really no justification for someone other than yourself monitoring your accounts. Set up a program, you might even catch yourself saving some money that way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The OPM monitoring service has a handy report putting all your open accounts on one page. It's good for that one portion of account safety and that's all it really needs to do. Checking on all your bank and investment accounts is a pretty good routine to have though. I know an enlisted guy who literally never checked his accounts and just "assumed" he had money available for whatever he wanted.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When my identity got stolen I got buzzed by my monitoring agency that work gives me (InfoArmor) and then Credit Karma about six hours later.

Now I've got a 7-year total freeze on all my reports, nobody can do anything on my credit report without my express permission. WHY ISN'T THIS THE DEFAULT THING.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

The OPM monitoring service has a handy report putting all your open accounts on one page. Not sure why that wouldn't suffice for the "monitoring" portion of credit safety :shrug:

It's because your relying on another entity to collate and return the information to you, you are also giving them the right to request access to those accounts. They were breached once, they likely have APT stuff sitting in some long forgotten network backend. DIY gives you at least 1 more layer of assurance and let's you tailor the program to what you're worried about.

Another risk factor in relying on the OPM is that they probably went out to a Cred Bureau to get those reports, or are otherwise relying on a third party themselves to get that info. You want to reduce exposure and likelihood of occurrence, saves time and money in the long run

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Vasudus posted:

When my identity got stolen I got buzzed by my monitoring agency that work gives me (InfoArmor) and then Credit Karma about six hours later.

Now I've got a 7-year total freeze on all my reports, nobody can do anything on my credit report without my express permission. WHY ISN'T THIS THE DEFAULT THING.

It's cheaper this way. Although saying that, I bet you could make a fortune running the infrastructure to do it properly, so gently caress knows. Lazyness.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/912805320623235072

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think I'm going to freeze my credit tomorrow.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Bureaus make like, a dollar per inquiry per account or something. If you account is frozen, they can't run those. They actively work against issuing freezes because it would murder their core business. Additionally if you, Joe Consumer ask for a freeze without representation or immediate cause, they try to charge you to make up for their lost revenue.

It's a bullshit industry that has next to no regulation and flies completely under the radar in polite society. There is no opt-in procedure and you need to work very very hard to get out.

There is no reality, currently, where these places don't make money. Infrastructure costs are their only real expense as they're in a completely symbiotic relationship with any entity that handles credit or loans.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you could do a semi-effort post about a credit freeze or drop a link on a how-to I'd be all for that. Sounds like a good idea to do at least.

Of course :capitalism: when people are put in a situation where they have to fight like hell to lock their own financial information and actually know/direct what happens to it because gently caress credit agencies. I hope this Equifax hack puts them in a spot light and they get a mile long pile of dicks shoved right up their rear end.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
http://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Edit; because my employer is probably brute force decrypting my shitposts, I issue this disclaimer saying that I'm providing advice as a private individual and not as an officer or associatr of my employer or in my capacity as a member of a financial institution.

E2: also also the summit has devolved into most everyone drinking heavily and forming a deathpool for the next shoe to drop.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 27, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That Works posted:

Knowledge is knowing what the 3/5ths compromise was for and how it was a true compromise on several abhorrent things that tried to help.

Wisdom is saying 'it was bad' and leaving it alone.

...but, no? The second is ignorance that happens to land on the right answer. It shouldn't have to come up in conversation, but civics died in the 70s so all we get in schools are that there are three branches of gov't and the Redcoats were bad.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if you freeze your credit report just keep in mind that for anything to happen with your credit report (like applying for a loan) you have to temporarily unfreeze it (which you can do for a certain amount of time or for a specific entity).

i don't know what the process is to unfreeze it or how long it takes, but it is probably something to take into consideration.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/st...ber%3D4%23pti34

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

if you freeze your credit report just keep in mind that for anything to happen with your credit report (like applying for a loan) you have to temporarily unfreeze it (which you can do for a certain amount of time or for a specific entity).

i don't know what the process is to unfreeze it or how long it takes, but it is probably something to take into consideration.

Should be handled in the article I posted, but the important thing is to never, never go for a "lock"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

loving :lol:

I never want to hear any of these schmucks whine about safe spaces or snowflakes again.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
how does a credit freeze impact a potential employer's ability to pull my credit report? because that's going to happen for me in the next few months, i just have no idea of when.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

...but, no? The second is ignorance that happens to land on the right answer. It shouldn't have to come up in conversation, but civics died in the 70s so all we get in schools are that there are three branches of gov't and the Redcoats were bad.

Given that the context it came up in was a joke...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Immanentized posted:

http://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

Edit; because my employer is probably brute force decrypting my shitposts, I issue this disclaimer saying that I'm providing advice as a private individual and not as an officer or associatr of my employer or in my capacity as a member of a financial institution.

E2: also also the summit has devolved into most everyone drinking heavily and forming a deathpool for the next shoe to drop.

My question about all this has to do with having bad credit... You can't improve your credit rating if you freeze it, can you?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

RFC2324 posted:

My question about all this has to do with having bad credit... You can't improve your credit rating if you freeze it, can you?

your credit score and your credit report are two different things

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

how does a credit freeze impact a potential employer's ability to pull my credit report? because that's going to happen for me in the next few months, i just have no idea of when.

Give em a heads up and work with them to determine a temporary lift so they can do their thing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Handsome Ralph posted:

loving :lol:

I never want to hear any of these schmucks whine about safe spaces or snowflakes again.

these are the same people who screamed for years about political correctness and being able to 'tell it like it is' when Trump was elected. now they're one incident away from stroking out.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

these are the same people who screamed for years about political correctness and being able to 'tell it like it is' when Trump was elected. now they're one incident away from stroking out.

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S09E15/1074239.jpg?b64lines=IFlPVSBESUROJ1QgSEFWRSBUTyBURUxMIElUIAogTElLRSBJVCBJUywgTUFSR0Uu

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Immanentized posted:

I didn't know you worked for the Republican National Committee. :v:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yo gently caress facebook and fuckersperg forever

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Doubleposting, but Roy Moore, known Commandment-fetishist and everything-hater, is projected to win the Alabama Senate race.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/...e=Homepage&_r=0

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yo gently caress facebook and fuckersperg forever

What'd he do now?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LMAO yes. The GOP has begun tearing itself apart.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ceiling fan posted:

Nice page snipe.

Unfortunately, the UCMJ article 88 isn't about punching Nazis. It's about throwing commissioned officers in jail when they call the President a Nazi.

Interestingly, the one Art. 88 conviction I can think of was an LT who got it for holding a poster that said, "Let's Have More Than A Choice Between Petty Ignorant Fascists In 1968" with "End Johnson's Fascist Aggression In Vietnam" on the back side.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

psydude posted:

LMAO yes. The GOP has begun tearing itself apart.
:getin:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Two Finger posted:

Hmmm yes a better solution below

Idk why that reminds me of this but welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That Works posted:

Given that the context it came up in was a joke...

:downs:

• Locked thread