Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, FY19 would be in the middle of 2018.

Also, there is no reasonable scenario where Democrats take the Senate in 2018.

FY19 Starts October 1st 2018. Assume that nothing will be done until mid Nov due to the 2018 election. No clue how the Senate would be able to pass a budget and then pass budget reconciliation during the lame duck session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

That's even stupider. What sane person thinks trying to pass a bill with ~20% approval right before elections is a good idea?

Re: the Senate I am holding out hope for taking out Dirty Dean Heller + Jeff Flake + Lamar Alexander/Ted Cruz/Roy Moore.

they don't, but they think that pairing it with 2018 tax cuts is even dumber and they can't admit that it's dead

if they just quietly put the instructions in the budget with the hope they'll pass it in the lame duck they can try to avoid it happening right before the election

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

karthun posted:

FY19 Starts October 1st 2018. Assume that nothing will be done until mid Nov due to the 2018 election. No clue how the Senate would be able to pass a budget and then pass budget reconciliation during the lame duck session.

by having lost the house in the election and everyone told to get in line for the last best chance to repeal obamacare before the door shuts closed forever

also, not to put too fine a point on it, but waiting till the 2019 budget maximizes the chance mccain dies before the bill comes up and i assure you mark meadows is thinking about that

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 26, 2017

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

What are the chances of Schumer-Pelosi pulling another fast one on McConnell (after Trump's done fuming and the door finally slams shut on reconciliation) and directly approaching Trump with the outline of a Murray-Alexander Deal as something they can pass and he can "call whatever he wants"?

It would give Trump a chance to steal control of the GOP away from McConnell, give him good ratings and a chance to declare victory over Obamacare. Democrats, meanwhile, can sacrifice copper plans, state flexibility and a few other things in order to cement the law with Republican fingerprints. The congressional GOP leadership may oppose any deal, but Trump seems to like being given chances to assert control over his party.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grammarchist posted:

What are the chances of Schumer-Pelosi pulling another fast one on McConnell (after Trump's done fuming and the door finally slams shut on reconciliation) and directly approaching Trump with the outline of a Murray-Alexander Deal as something they can pass and he can "call whatever he wants"?

It would give Trump a chance to steal control of the GOP away from McConnell, give him good ratings and a chance to declare victory over Obamacare. Democrats, meanwhile, can sacrifice copper plans, state flexibility and a few other things in order to cement the law with Republican fingerprints. The congressional GOP leadership may oppose any deal, but Trump seems to like being given chances to assert control over his party.

They don't have time before the plan pricing is finalized to pass it anymore (also Sept 30th). So the impetus to get it done now that was giving some motivation to Republicans is gone.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

evilweasel posted:

They don't have time before the plan pricing is finalized to pass it anymore (also Sept 30th). So the impetus to get it done now that was giving some motivation to Republicans is gone.

It's also unclear (despite the hyperventilation of the usual suspects) if there was ever a there there with Murray/Alexander. After the fact remarks from Ernst and the WSJ indicate that Dems were unwilling to offer meaningful concessions in return for stability.

What this means moving forward will be interesting. Dems appear to be banking on the polling that indicates the GOP will shoulder the blame for any Obamacare hiccups or premium spikes. Even the GOP estsblishment appears more concerned by primary challenges over strengthening Obamacare than electoral punishment for (passively) sabatoging it.

Bipartisan reforms absolutely exist if the political will is there. But they're deeply unsexy and my guess is that the GOPe is correct that any action taken will be messaged as supporting Obamacare in the primaries without providing a meaningful impact in the general.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

It's also unclear (despite the hyperventilation of the usual suspects) if there was ever a there there with Murray/Alexander. After the fact remarks from Ernst and the WSJ indicate that Dems were unwilling to offer meaningful concessions in return for stability.

they were lying, because they needed to justify torpedoing the talks, and democrats have made public the concessions they were willing to make

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

It's finally official

https://twitter.com/ap_politics/status/912740800110448640

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's a shame that Hamilton has joined Harry Potter as a symbol of ineffective centrism, because that "you don't have the votes A HA HA HA" riff feels very apropro right now

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's a shame that Hamilton has joined Harry Potter as a symbol of ineffective centrism, because that "you don't have the votes A HA HA HA" riff feels very apropro right now

Not going to lie I looped this several times last night just because it is very apropos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb6F6kIqlxw

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

importing drugs is not about lower manufacturing costs abroad, it's about taking advantage of price controls in those countries

the problem is, it's trivial for companies to effectively block it by restricting the amount of that drug they send to the country

They could do that and then lose the national patent that prevents domestic producers from manufacturing their own.

I think India straight up ignores patents for a lot of medications.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

:byewhore:

But yeah, this isn't officially dead until the Democrats take back the House.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

its worth pointing out that if strange loses, as expected today, then that's one less reliable vote mcconnell has

moore will make paul look sane and already said he'd never vote for c-g because its not full repeal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

its worth pointing out that if strange loses, as expected today, then that's one less reliable vote mcconnell has

moore will make paul look sane and already said he'd never vote for c-g because its not full repeal

Moore is about as likely to go full Preston Brooks as he is to cast a vote, the man is certifiable

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There is a greater than zero chance that Moore will literally challenge McConnell to pistols at dawn.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

evilweasel posted:

they were lying, because they needed to justify torpedoing the talks, and democrats have made public the concessions they were willing to make

I spent my weekend mostly offline. Is there anything more than the Schumer spox and resulting theorycrafting? If not, being willing to discuss copper plans and loosened definitions isn't the same as discussing them in a way that's meaningful to the GOP. Limited rollouts of those ideas would lead to the sorts of reactions Ernst gave at her Town Hall while still being actual offers.

CSR solidification is a policy win (and primary-messaging loss) for most of the GOP. Even by their standards, it seems odd to lie if they got Dems to commit to major concessions in return for a policy that the bulk of the caucus actually wants... in service of a bill that Ernst was calling doomed at her Town Hall.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There is a greater than zero chance that Moore will literally challenge McConnell to pistols at dawn.

Is there any chance Moore loses in the general? I mean, it's Alabama, so I'm assuming no, but I haven't heard anything about the Democratic challenger.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah, Dems got someone they think has as good a chance as a non-republican can have. It's incredibly unlikely, but no longer impossible, that the seat could be flipped in an upset under the right conditions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Is there any chance Moore loses in the general? I mean, it's Alabama, so I'm assuming no, but I haven't heard anything about the Democratic challenger.

Moore got kicked off the supreme court and then voted back on and kicked off again for the same reason. Barring unprecedented democratic midterm turnout, Moore will probably win if he wins the primary.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Democrats think there's a chance, that he'll be such a loving nutjob that business republicans could possibly be swayed to vote for the Dem. Basically, that he would be Todd Akin Jr.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Moore got kicked off the supreme court and then voted back on and kicked off again for the same reason. Barring unprecedented democratic midterm turnout, Moore will probably win if he wins the primary.

The key word though is "probably" which is less definitive than it should be given this is an election in Alabama.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Doug Jones is the guy in that race, and he's running on a surprisingly good, broadly social democrat platform - green energy, livable wage, improving the k-12 education, that sort of thing. Putting aside whether there's a chance of winning Alabama on the merits of the state itself, I'm still somewhat worried if he'll receive the necessary funding from the national democratic organizations, and Perez fills me with the opposite of confidence in that regard. Beyond the fact it's a senate seat in play, Moore becoming a part of the senate feels like one of those watershed moments that should be avoided at all costs.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

There was a poll that showed Democrat Doug Jones as vaguely competitive. That's mostly a factor of the Democrats mostly rallying around him and the GOP still being divided. It's a special election in a time where Democrats are more energized than normal, so there's a very small chance if Jones carries himself well and Moore runs afoul of a mattering of some sort.

I'm skeptical that this "mattering" exists, but historians assure me it roamed free across the land in the pre-Trump era. A Democrat taking Alabama would be crazy enough for 2017 though, admittedly.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2017/09/democrat_doug_jones_in_close_s.html

Grammarchist fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 26, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Office Pig posted:

Doug Jones is the guy in that race, and he's running on a surprisingly good, broadly social democrat platform - green energy, livable wage, improving the k-12 education, that sort of thing. Putting aside whether there's a chance of winning Alabama on the merits of the state itself, I'm still somewhat worried if he'll receive the necessary funding from the national democratic organizations, and Perez fills me with the opposite of confidence in that regard. Beyond the fact it's a senate seat in play, Moore becoming a part of the senate feels like one of those watershed moments that should be avoided at all costs.

Everything I've read has basically supported that he will get funding if Moore wins and not if Strange wins. The DNC thinks it would be a waste of money challenging Strange, but there's a path to winning if it's Moore.

That said, they have to spend carefully because they have 25 Senate seats up in 2018, a lot in red states.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

That's even stupider. What sane person thinks trying to pass a bill with ~20% approval right before elections is a good idea?

Re: the Senate I am holding out hope for taking out Dirty Dean Heller + Jeff Flake + Lamar AlexanderBob Corker/Ted Cruz/Roy Moore.

Well drat. Today's my lucky day.

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/912765879150170112

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

McConnell's officially pulled the plug. Eat poo poo, Randian fuckboys!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

McConnell's officially pulled the plug. Eat poo poo, Randian fuckboys!

Well technically it was a Randian fuckboy who helped kill the bill.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/912776406731575296

:psyduck:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ehh. sounds like santorum talking out his rear end. she probably said if it wasn't terrible loving poo poo. and asscumshit forgot that part.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Who the hell is Santorum working for right now? He's been out of government for over a decade yet somehow he's managed to insert himself into this poo poo as if he's never left.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
She was just being polite. Santorum worked heavily on GCHJ (even before AHCA passed the House) and sees it as his little baby. He's been stumping hard for it behind the scenes.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Graham: "I do declare we're gonna have us a vote and if it fails then so be it!" :tipshat:

McConnell: "What health care proposal?" :shrug:

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. sounds like santorum talking out his rear end. she probably said if it wasn't terrible loving poo poo. and asscumshit forgot that part.

I really don't see Murkowski or Collins coming around to any GOP plan that carves out either preexisting conditions OR places any kinds of limits on women's health / obgyn access / contraceptive access.

I mean most people don't necessarily think about it, but it's pretty astounding that because of the ACA a woman in America went from having to scrounge up a couple thousand dollars every 3 years to get a Nexplanon implant to being able to just call her ob/gyn, schedule it, write down the insurance information, getting the little rod stuck in her arm, and walk out...without spending a penny.

Business Republicans should *love* women's access to conception at no cost because if there's one thing businesses hate it's pregnant employees, which is hosed up, but it's the way things are right now.

I think Murkowski and Collins are both smart enough to see how critical that is to the women, they've got the backing of some moderate country club business Republicans on the topic to keep their campaign funding, and that's enough to lock in two votes.

Simultaneously without cutting women's health access the frothing-at-the-mouth Republicans won't vote for it.

-----

Separately

I'm really hoping the DNCC stays ON MESSAGE and points out have the pre-existing conditions being moved to the states is actually a VERY big deal. Republicans keep saying that the pre-existing conditions would have been covered because every state would have done so. If so...why change the law? Just leave that bit in.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crashrat posted:

I'm really hoping the DNCC stays ON MESSAGE and points out have the pre-existing conditions being moved to the states is actually a VERY big deal. Republicans keep saying that the pre-existing conditions would have been covered because every state would have done so. If so...why change the law? Just leave that bit in.

I think it's more important to make people realize that if they elect shitlords to their state government, guess what might happen, and use it as a cudgel to retake governorships and state legislatures.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Murkowski has voted against every single version of BCRA. I'd guess that she said that she was open to the possibility of doing something on healthcare in 2018 and Rick Santorum heard what it was advantageous for him to hear.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crashrat posted:

Bernie owned Graham and Cassidy hard on this at the debate. They were all "why these Democrats make it sound like your governor is just scheming to hike premiums on people with preexisting conditions, a governor would never do that, why here in South Carolina we take care of each other" and Bernie pointed out their states were happy to give sick people the finger before ACA.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Be joyful they failed, but angry they tried. And stay angry...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Thank god. Giving away things Republicans want in exchange for something Republicans also want would be insane.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

The Democrats think there's a chance, that he'll be such a loving nutjob that business republicans could possibly be swayed to vote for the Dem. Basically, that he would be Todd Akin Jr.

The concept of a Republican politician losing an election because of the stupid things he said seems so old-fashioned nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The Phlegmatist posted:

She was just being polite. Santorum worked heavily on GCHJ (even before AHCA passed the House) and sees it as his little baby. He's been stumping hard for it behind the scenes.

so did he take it home last night to sleep with it?