Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Communist Zombie posted:

On economic growth a UBI would allow growth to happen since the US is currently in a demand pit due to low wages, so increasing spending power would naturally lift the economy out of it. As UBI is unconditional it would be a force for higher wages since it both forms another floor for wages with minimum wage and it makes unemployment less unappealing / more bearable and so takes some power away from employers.
Why not just do away with minimum wage altogether?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You're a moron.

Turn on your monitor, my dude.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Majorian posted:

100% serious question: How old are you?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

Can we get a word filter for this moronic retort? It's the internet equivalent of I'm rubber and you're glue.

Edit: Leon and I are on the same page.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Condiv posted:

actually right, but go ahead and believe that the trump era is super peaceful (oh what's that, an uptick in violence?)

You've given a cite for the other two. Could you give a cite for this one as well?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can we get a word filter for this moronic retort? It's the internet equivalent of I'm rubber and you're glue.

Yes we need more intelligent retorts to the argument of "you're a moron." Thank you for pointing this out, Loam.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

And how do those sources actually prove the point you were flailing to make? Please be explicit.

Condiv posted:

5 years ago it wasn't this bad

yeah, things weren't great, but we didn't have nazi uprisings all over the place quite yet

and those sources do show that 5 years ago, in 2012, things weren't as bad as they are now, and that 2012 was actually a low point for certain kinds of violence

if you want me to prove that violence in total was less in 2012 than in 2017, well you're asking me to do a full on study to prove my point while happily claiming you're right without having provided a shred of evidence

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm going to humor you for just a second and pretend that your histrionic moralizing about your completely sheltered subjective opinion can be swayed with evidence and post this one thing but that's all you get

https://youtu.be/n5DZF7YvwwM

correct me if i'm wrong, but this video doesn't address violence at all?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Reflections85 posted:

You've given a cite for the other two. Could you give a cite for this one as well?

i did:

https://www.earlywarningproject.org/risk_assessments

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

and those sources do show that 5 years ago, in 2012, things weren't as bad as they are now, and that 2012 was actually a low point for certain kinds of violence

if you want me to prove that violence in total was less in 2012 than in 2017, well you're asking me to do a full on study to prove my point while happily claiming you're right without having provided a shred of evidence

You're the one that made the claim in the first place. For gently caress's sake. And yes, the key word is 'certain' and does nothing to address the concept of well-being globally.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 27, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It seemed like a worthy retort to cutting wit like

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You're a moron.

Also Condiv's wrong, but your weird grudge against him is, well, weird.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Condiv posted:

you made a statement and then scrambled to cherry pick data to support it

it's really obvious and i forgive you for the inevitable apology you owe the to idea of intellectualism and rigorous thought

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

None of the data you posted has information beyond 2014. How can you use this to make a conclusion about 2017 , for which you have no data.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

It seemed like a worthy retort to cutting wit like

I'm sure it seemed worthy to you, that's why I laughed and pointed out how juvenile it was. Pointing out that you are a moron wasn't an attempt at wit. Just an affirmation of the evidence provided.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Thank you! I must have missed it. My apologies.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm sure it seemed worthy to you, that's why I laughed and pointed out how juvenile it was. Pointing out that you are a moron wasn't an attempt at wit. Just an affirmation of the evidence provided.

I mean, I'd be happy to be wrong - do you believe that neoliberalism made Trump inevitable?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Me, an adult: you're a moron. You idiot. You sniveling backwater hippy mouthbreather.

You, a juvenile child: turn your monitor on, my man

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Condiv posted:

The original argument didn't address violence specifically either, it was about general quality of life

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

None of the data you posted has information beyond 2014. How can you use this to make a conclusion about 2017 , for which you have no data.

the early warning graph i posted actually runs to 2016.

when are you gonna start posting sources?

Boon posted:

You're the one that made the claim in the first place. For gently caress's sake. And yes, the key word is 'certain' and does nothing to address the concept of well-being globally.

well-being globally wasn't what was being discussed?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

I mean, I'd be happy to be wrong - do you believe that neoliberalism made Trump inevitable?

What does this have to do with the original reason I called you a moron?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

sit on my Facebook posted:

The original argument didn't address violence specifically either, it was about general quality of life

i was specifically attacking the idea that things were less violent now, and people dogpiled me for it

i think it should be obvious what my argument was from the very beginning considering i posted about jews being threatened with being gassed by nazis, but apparently it wasn't?

here was my post:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What does this have to do with the original reason I called you a moron?

It was the post you responded to, so...literally everything, I guess?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

i was specifically attacking the idea that things were less violent now, and people dogpiled me for it

i think it should be obvious what my argument was from the very beginning considering i posted about jews being threatened with being gassed by nazis, but apparently it wasn't?

You appeared to be arguing agaisnt Obama's premise of the world being the best it's ever been by citing a specific violence stat that doesn't disprove what Obama said.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

It was the post you responded to, so...literally everything, I guess?

I called you a moron for interjecting an unrelated argument that had nothing to do with the discussion.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You appeared to be arguing agaisnt Obama's premise of the world being the best it's ever been by citing a specific violence stat that doesn't disprove what Obama said.

i didn't set out to disprove every single thing obama's said, so i'm not particularly concerned that I didn't disprove that people are healthier now than ever, or that people are wealthier now than ever. i disagreed with the idea that things are less violent now than ever from the very start (especially considering how much potential violence is on the horizon)

i don't know why you guys were thinking i was trying to disprove every single thing obama was saying, but i wasn't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I called you a moron for interjecting an unrelated argument that had nothing to do with the discussion.

Hmmm...

shrike82 posted:

Man those neolibs really have done a number on humanity over the past 5 years huh

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The peak point of world progress brought to you by Barack Obama and centrists. I'm glad you were able to come to the light condiv.

Yeah, talking about neoliberalism was totally unrelated.

Keep on melting down there, big guy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

2008 was demonstrably a better year to argue in favor of lol holy poo poo

you made an appeal to your own emotion and backpedaled to find data, and did so poorly

http://economicsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/GPI-2016-Report_2.pdf

page 22

edit: also compare this to all of human history and the deviations over the last decade are almost within a margin of error

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

Hmmm...

Yeah, talking about neoliberalism was totally unrelated.

Keep on melting down there, big guy.

Wow. So you took a post making fun of condiv and his sourced refuting of his basic worldview and decided it was a good way to prove he was right?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

I said nothing of the sort and you know it.

One year before a sarin attack with 600+ killed or hospitalized.

quote:

Eyewitnesses say they saw barrel bombs being dropped by helicopters. That probably means it was the government, I agree. But to use that as evidence that the agreement to get Syria to join the CWC was all for nothing is simply not accurate. Syria's ability to use WMDs against its own civilians has been decimated. What's more, while use of chlorine as a weapon is illegal under the CWC, the possession of chlorine is not. Clearly Assad is in violation of the CWC, but you can't exactly claim this as a failing of the agreement.

All evidence suggests that the OPCW teams have done their due diligence under extremely difficult and dangerous circumstances on the ground. I don't see any reason to believe that they were as credulous or incompetent as you're portraying them. Yes, Assad kept some facilities secret. Everybody knew he would probably try to do so. The inspectors found them. You're making it seem like someone else stumbled onto them, or that Assad just shouted, "Hah! Gotcha! I have an undeclared facility over there!"

Plus, keep in mind, the only reason why these inspectors can function in Syria in the first place is because the Obama Administration got Syria to join the CWC. The fact that there's further probing is a good thing; it means the inspection and enforcement mechanisms are working, in spite of the fact that Damascus has behaved deceptively and in bad faith.

Working like a loving champ, let me tell you. I'm not sure why you would doubt you'd said something like this given all you ever did on the subject was recite PR nonsense for Obama.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767734&userid=153362

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Wow, I honestly didn't expect Condiv to quadruple down on his dumb post.
You know, you can just say 'I was wrong' and then everyone stops caring, right?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Wow, I honestly didn't expect Condiv to quadruple down on his dumb post.
You know, you can just say 'I was wrong' and then everyone stops caring, right?

ahahahaha i reiterate, he congratulated me on my courage the last time i did just this in the dems are bad thread

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Because I feel like you're misallocating blame and by doing so, making future decisions based on bad information. She absolutely could have done things differently and those things absolutely could have swung the election. A good example of this is all the people who smugly go "She lost to DONALD TRUMP!" are making the exact same mistake she did, assuming that how lovely the republican candidate is actually an important factor. She ran too much on pointing out how poo poo he was and not enough on boosting her own turnout.

So Hillary Clinton didn't lose because she had a bad strategy, no no, see she just had a bad strategy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

One year before a sarin attack with 600+ killed or hospitalized.

Mmmm yes, clearly that proves that Assad having fewer chemical weapons is not a good thing.:rolleye:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Wow. So you took a post making fun of condiv and his sourced refuting of his basic worldview and decided it was a good way to prove he was right?

Nope, I actually said he was wrong:

Majorian posted:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Mmmm yes, clearly that proves that Assad having fewer chemical weapons is not a good thing.:rolleye:

Lol you're almost as dishonest as thug lessons.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Lol you're almost as dishonest as thug lessons.

Hey, you're the one who's been insisting that OPCW's efforts were for nothing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

skylined! posted:

2008 was demonstrably a better year to argue in favor of lol holy poo poo

you made an appeal to your own emotion and backpedaled to find data, and did so poorly

http://economicsandpeace.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/GPI-2016-Report_2.pdf

page 22

edit: also compare this to all of human history and the deviations over the last decade are almost within a margin of error

i was wrong about 2012 according to this study, but not wrong about now being the least violent time in history (or near history)...

i mean, i'm not a historian nor do i study world conflict for a living so i'm glad i was right in the general thrust of my argument (well, i'm glad in a sense)

and tbh, i would never have argued that a portion of the bush years was one of the most peaceful periods....

skylined! posted:

ahahahaha i reiterate, he congratulated me on my courage the last time i did just this in the dems are bad thread

i also complemented heck yes loam and peachfart in that thread too

Condiv fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 27, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Hey, you're the one who's been insisting that OPCW's efforts were for nothing.

The OPCW's hands were tied all along, because the regime and Russia never made the agreement with the intention of actually allowing Assad's CW capability to be undermined. That was extremely clear right from the get go. The OPCW themselves said as much several times, so don't sit there and act like you're defending their honor when what you're actually defending is a lovely political deal with the devil that gave nothing to the people of Syria, or to establish that using WMD's on your own people won't be tolerated by the international community. You supported a toothless deal that did nothing to stop Khan Sheikoun, or any other CW attack in Syria past or present, from happening. Just own it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

The OPCW's hands were tied all along, because the regime and Russia never made the agreement with the intention of actually allowing Assad's CW capability to be undermined.

OPCW seized and destroyed 1,300 metric tons of banned material. It may not have completely eliminated Assad's ability to use WMDs, but it seriously limited the scope of his capabilities, and undoubtedly saved hundreds if not thousands of lives that would have otherwise been lost. Acting like that's nothing is just ridiculous.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

The OPCW's hands were tied all along, because the regime and Russia never made the agreement with the intention of actually allowing Assad's CW capability to be undermined. That was extremely clear right from the get go. The OPCW themselves said as much several times, so don't sit there and act like you're defending their honor when what you're actually defending is a lovely political deal with the devil that gave nothing to the people of Syria, or to establish that using WMD's on your own people won't be tolerated by the international community. You supported a toothless deal that did nothing to stop Khan Sheikoun, or any other CW attack in Syria past or present, from happening. Just own it.

I'm sorry about your priapism, if only Obama had murdered enough Arabs to allow you to finally ejaculate, hey better luck these next 4 years

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Condiv posted:

i was wrong about 2012 according to this study, but not wrong about now being the least violent time in history (or near history)...

i mean, i'm not a historian nor do i study world conflict for a living so i'm glad i was right in the general thrust of my argument (well, in a sense)

i also complemented heck yes loam and peachfart in that thread too

we are living in the most peaceful time in human history. this is not debatable in the face of any reasonable evidence. a 2-3% shift in the last decade in either direction does not compare at all to the shifts measured in tens and hundreds over the last few centuries. the deviation is not meaningful if your goal is to disprove obamas statement. it is pure pedantry for the sake of attacking the man and it the statement. it is pungently obvious.

if you want to argue that this could all change rapidly with who is currently leading the world, ya sure we are on a precipice. but that's not the direction you took, is it?

you are missing the point re: me laughing at you - it is condescending, not admirable, and suggests an inability to self reflect, to compliment someone on their ability to admit an error in and admit their error, and then not be willing to do it yourself.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

skylined! posted:

we are living in the most peaceful time in human history. this is not debatable in the face of any reasonable evidence. a 2-3% shift in the last decade in either direction does not compare at all to the shifts measured in tens and hundreds over the last few centuries.

if you want to argue that this could all change rapidly with who is currently leading the world, ya sure we are on a precipice. but that's not what is going on here, is it?

i wasn't arguing this though? i dunno why you guys keep trying to expand my argument well beyond its scope (other than you desperately want to claim i'm wrong)

quote:

you are missing the point re: me laughing at you - it is condescending, not admirable, and suggests an inability to self reflect, to compliment someone on their ability to admit an error in and admit their error, and then not be willing to do it yourself.

well i mean you just proved me right better than i could myself, so thanks for that. I also admitted I was wrong wrt 2012.

as for me complimenting you being condescension, that's just silly. that would mean i can't compliment people for traits i lack, even if i think they are good traits

• Locked thread