Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

poo poo got too real for me way too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Switch docked is the non pro way to play.

I have had my Switch since June and no joke I have played docked for maybe 30 seconds max. I docked it just to see how it worked, went "huh, neat" and have never played docked since. Mine sits in the dock every night to charge but that's it

What I'm saying is handheld supremacy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I'm saying is handheld supremacy.

I've had mine since launch and I've docked it exactly one time. Freedom for my console.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I played Zelda mostly docked, but now I play almost exclusively in handheld mode.

I think the games look better that way too.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I play mine about 70% handheld.

I'm in hotels travelling like 13-15 days a month so I'm hanging out for some awesome little travel dock so I can play on the hotel tvs. I cbf lugging my full dock around or buying a second full-sized one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I prefer docked but I've been traveling a lot this year so I've mostly played handheld. It loving owns that I'm even able to do that.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

My hands cramp in portable mode. Not so much in docked mode.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

iajanus posted:

I play mine about 70% handheld.

I'm in hotels travelling like 13-15 days a month so I'm hanging out for some awesome little travel dock so I can play on the hotel tvs. I cbf lugging my full dock around or buying a second full-sized one.

https://www.amazon.com/C-Force-Mult...itch+force+dock

Supposedly this works?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Reading the comments didn't fill me with enthusiasm, although thanks for the idea. I'll keep watching out.

In the meantime, I'll just keep playing awesome games in handheld mode in bed and be a-ok :D

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
New lego worlds update improves performance at the expense of like 70% of the viewable world. It’s absolute rear end and I might have to call Nintendo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

yeh brah :hfive:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

iajanus posted:

Reading the comments didn't fill me with enthusiasm, although thanks for the idea. I'll keep watching out.

In the meantime, I'll just keep playing awesome games in handheld mode in bed and be a-ok :D
Well here’s another one:
https://www.amazon.com/FastSnail-Adapter-Nintendo-Samsung-Converter/dp/B074MYLP9C/

Or wait for the Nyko one that comes with power adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Portable-Docking-Kit-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B071X7C1B4/

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

I never look at play stats but the one I would actually like to see a game keep track of is dock play time vs handheld play time

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I try to play docked occasionally so that my Switch can hang out with my PS4 and feel powerful and confident. Sometimes a Switch just needs to be a big screen big boy.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Every poll shows most people play mainly or exclusively docked. Sure it's like 56% mainly docked to 44% mainly portable but whatever.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Every poll shows most people play mainly or exclusively docked. Sure it's like 56% mainly docked to 44% mainly portable but whatever.
Who the gently caress even are these people

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Who the gently caress even are these people

They are people who want to play Nintendo titles. I'll be honest with you, if Nintendo released two editions: one portable like we have now AND a traditional more powerful and non-portable edition I would for sure get the non-portable version. Portability is nice but I want nintendo titles and dem graphics/full editions

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I play the bigger mainline games mostly docked (except Mario Kart which is more 50/50) and indies mostly portable.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

They are people who want to play Nintendo titles. I'll be honest with you, if Nintendo released two editions: one portable like we have now AND a traditional more powerful and non-portable edition I would for sure get the non-portable version. Portability is nice but I want nintendo titles and dem graphics/full editions (i.e. no more watered down FIFA and Doom)

If they'd released two versions I would go out on a limb and say that Nintendo would basically have written their own death sentences. The big selling point that immediately got everyone interested was the flexibility of the system, and having two versions would immediately cause problems with that. If there was a significant difference in the power or architecture of the versions you would also force more work on the developers to decide what they'd tailor games to, and you'd start opening up problems with games having massive differences in their performance in handheld mode.

Forcing everything into one device has been a masterstroke (evidenced by the insane popularity) and Nintendo would want to be very careful not to splinter their own success with something like a super-powered dock that just encourages bad development practices. Nintendo has shown in the past that they're more than happy to compete on their own battlefields, and if you want full editions there's no reason you wouldn't just buy a PS4 or XBONE (which is effectively what you're doing if you buy a theoretical "home-tethered super-Switch").

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I have to admit though, it's becoming a pet peeve of mine reading the reddit forum and other places and seeing people reply with "but portable!" to any issue that emerges.

"The game is downgraded to <30fps and <720p" BUT PORTABLE
"The game has 45 second load times and the draw distance is 20% of PS4" BUT PORTABLE
"The game calls you a oval office every time you play portable and then the Switch releases urine onto your lap from a small hidden compartment" BUT PORTABLE

Portability is cool and good but drat if there aren't a lot of sacrifices there. If I didn't have a PC I probably would care a lot more though, I usually play PC way more than Switch anyway

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

I have to admit though, it's becoming a pet peeve of mine reading the reddit forum and other places and seeing people reply with "but portable!" to any issue that emerges.

"The game has 45 second load times and the draw distance is 20% of PS4" BUT PORTABLE
"The game calls you a oval office every time you play portable and then the Switch releases urine onto your lap from a small hidden compartment" BUT PORTABLE

Portability is cool and good but drat if there aren't a lot of sacrifices there. If I didn't have a PC I probably would care a lot more though, I usually play PC way more than Switch anyway

Nice meltdown

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nah I am just saying that part of the reason the Switch is successful is because people have smartphones and PCs so ubiquitously. A shitload of people have multiple consoles too. Any sacrifices you make are less pronounced when you get "dem graphikz" or pretty much all titles elsewhere already

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's just cool to me to even see games like Doom and Wolfenstein get releases since I don't have any other consoles or a good enough PC. If I did, I'd definitely get them on that but it's cool to just be able to play them at all. Portability is a nice bonus.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Playing Zelda and Sonic Mania and Mario Kart portable is good.

Playing Splatoon portable is suicide.

Some games are just better docked

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alan_Shore posted:

I'd got to S+ in all 3 ranked modes just playing portably.:smug:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's just cool to me to even see games like Doom and Wolfenstein get releases since I don't have any other consoles or a good enough PC. If I did, I'd definitely get them on that but it's cool to just be able to play them at all. Portability is a nice bonus.

For sure, I am most excited about long trips I take where previously I felt the need to lug around a computer with a discrete graphics card to play games. This is going to basically be my much more ideal travel gaming "PC"

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

They are people who want to play Nintendo titles. I'll be honest with you, if Nintendo released two editions: one portable like we have now AND a traditional more powerful and non-portable edition I would for sure get the non-portable version. Portability is nice but I want nintendo titles and dem graphics/full editions

Nintendo is probably never making a traditional strong console again, and honestly they'd be dumb to directly compete against sony like that

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

I just want to play Doom on the toilet, the way John Romero intended.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Zelder posted:

Nintendo is probably never making a traditional strong console again, and honestly they'd be dumb to directly compete against sony like that

As long as it gets upgrades like the ds or cell phones do, maybe a more powerful version at the beginning of 2019 then I am all about this strategy my good brother

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Zelder posted:

Exactly. They showed with the Wii that by not buying into the Sony/Microsoft escalation race they could carve out a massive niche for themselves. Ignoring their failings with the WiiU, they've succeeded again with the Switch of ignoring the arms race of the home console war and giving people a device that's actually useful in different ways. I travel a ridiculous amount and my XBONE, PS4 and PC get a very limited amount of playtime between them as at home I only have limited playing time amongst my normal life. When I'm travelling, though, I can play in the Uber, lounge, flight, and hotel. I've put in at least 8 hours of Rabbids so far this week that I literally couldn't have dreamed of normally. And when I get home, a lot of the time I just pop my Switch in the dock and keep playing as it's so easy.

If Nintendo had released a standard home console in March they'd be dead right now. Simple as that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I pretty much always play portable, even in my own home. It's just more convenient for me and feels nicer, plus my tv isn't very good.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

Why couldn't they have just put Zelda-like controls in Splatoon? Aiming in that game is so easy and intuitive, I can pick Bokoblins off on horseback consistently, but in Splatoon handheld the camera is never where I want it to be.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

I play docked most of the time, but portable is neat, too. Traveled earlier this year and it was nice being able to play Zelda on the go.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

I actually prefer Mario Kart docked, my thumb cramps up from constantly holding down the a button. While I do enjoy Splatoon docked, the internet at my house sucks. So I'm basically forced to play portable unless I wanna risk serious lag or disconnects. It's pretty cool laying on the couch playing games, tiny screen in my face.

TBH the Switch is perfect for my scenario, relatively small games and portable. I have garbage tier internet that's included in the cost of my rent. Having a PS4, Xbone, or even a PC for gaming is basically out of the question for me unless I wanna wait literal days to download a game, nevermind playing online.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Cubivore_ posted:

I play docked most of the time, but portable is neat, too. Traveled earlier this year and it was nice being able to play Zelda on the go.

I've got a trip to the US planned for the end of the year and am looking forward to a long flight playing whatever the go-to awesome switch game at the time is

Presumably some sort of golf game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

iajanus posted:

I've got a trip to the US planned for the end of the year and am looking forward to a long flight playing whatever the go-to awesome switch game at the time is

Presumably some sort of golf game.

If you have Breath of the Wild you're in luck!

At least one of the shrines has you try to drive/chip a ball across water and in to a hole. It sucked. I gave up on it when I loaded a save and realized it reset the shrine but I was still out all the weapons I'd busted trying to aim the stupid ball.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you have Breath of the Wild you're in luck!

At least one of the shrines has you try to drive/chip a ball across water and in to a hole. It sucked. I gave up on it when I loaded a save and realized it reset the shrine but I was still out all the weapons I'd busted trying to aim the stupid ball.

I remember that shrine! gently caress that shrine!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

[quote="“Evil Fluffy”" post="“476804688”"]
If you have Breath of the Wild you’re in luck!

At least one of the shrines has you try to drive/chip a ball across water and in to a hole. It sucked. I gave up on it when I loaded a save and realized it reset the shrine but I was still out all the weapons I’d busted trying to aim the stupid ball.
[/quote]

Is that the shrine where you can literally pick up the ball and put it in the holes cause you can put ice under the ball?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha I slammed it into the hole first try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

[quote="“Al Borland Corp.”" post="“476805496”"]
Haha I slammed it into the hole first try
[/quote]

Phrasing.

• Locked thread