Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Nothing beats crushing an army of starving peasant rebels with a rapidly assembled full-on late game stack consisting entirely of mercs. The fact that it costs enough money to have solved all of the rebels' problems is just sort of icing on the cake.
No amount of money is enough to solve the problems of most rebels, unless it's delivered between the eyes. But if they are starving we can shoot cakes at them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The more I think about it the more I could see the Feudal Theocracy abilities being abused by people and then changed later.

TorakFade posted:

You can already detach a type of unit by clicking it in the top army bar (or hotkeys.. with army selected you press C to detach artillery, it is my most used hotkey to send all the cannons from multiple stacks into a siege)

Or am I reading you wrong and you meant something else?
:vince: I just cant read hotkeys apparently.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The more I think about it the more I could see the Feudal Theocracy abilities being abused by people and then changed later.
Come on. No one would ever do that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

Yeah, you know, you're right. What was I thinking.

In other news, I just realized how incredibly useful Influence Nation is on subjects who you need to build trust with. If you are richer than god its easy to just Influence all of your subjects to help build trust. My colonial nation that owns all of Brazil and has conquered into Peru and Argentina on its own has -8.0% Liberty Desire because of trust (70 trust), which is great because that is the difference between being above or below 50% right now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Dang, I was gonna try to finally get the Taberastan achievement when this comes out, but a historical Persia game starting as that OPM sounds like it could be great fun.

edit: I am thinking of suggesting:

Do. I've said it a bunch of times but the Paradox devs, especially on the EU4 dev team, really do read it. It's not a guarantee anything'll come of it, but my suggestion got added in literally a week and I'm not the only one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Do. I've said it a bunch of times but the Paradox devs, especially on the EU4 dev team, really do read it. It's not a guarantee anything'll come of it, but my suggestion got added in literally a week and I'm not the only one.
Alright I will have to get off of my lazy rear end and post it then, minus the split units out idea since its already in the game but I just found out about it :gonk:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't suppose anyone here would know anything about why they seem to have made most of the Iranian provinces bordering the Persian Gulf into Arabic culture? I know that there is and was significant Arabic influence there but nothing I've ever read has suggested that they were ever a majority. Is this one of those times where urban culture is being used as a proxy for the whole province (see: big chunks of the Prussian-cultured baltic) while still being a minority overall?

E:

I should say, specifically outside of Khuzestan

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 27, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
It's more or less accurate, but irrelevent since the Iranian coast is nothing but blasted besalted hellwastes outside of khuzestan. Also home to most of the Afroiranian population.

e: If you wanna get finnicky there's a stretch between Khuzestan and Jask that should be Persian to represent Bushehr which is like, the one historically Persian port that exists. Although I think even Bushehr came to be dominated by an Arab aristocracy.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 27, 2017

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:v:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Having never formed Ireland or seen it form, I didn't realize the color for it was so... unflattering.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Leinster is the true colour

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bloody Pom posted:

Having never formed Ireland or seen it form, I didn't realize the color for it was so... unflattering.
It's literally the color of potato blight.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Those Theocracy ideas will survive exactly one patch.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Tahirovic posted:

I don't see why. It's literally limited to an OPM who'll end up smashing into the ottomans sooner rather than later if it even gets off the ground.

e: Actually new Oman gets it too. But they're also an OPM in a garbage tier province and completely surrounded by the bigger nastier Hormuz.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 27, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Like the Russian or Ming bonuses?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

From a few pages back...

skasion posted:

There's actually an existing event chain in the game to model the Ottoman conquest of Egypt! It's hilariously poo poo though. If Venice, Mamluks, and Persia all exist between 1500 and 1520, none of them is allied to the Ottomans or in a coalition, the Ottomans own Constantinople, Athens, and Smederevo, and the Ottomans have a negative opinion of Persia, an event chain begins which can potentially lead to Venice, Mamluks, and Persia forming a coalition against the Ottomans. If and only if this happens, Ottomans get a claim on every Mamluk province. I have never seen the whole chain fire in 1300+ hours.

Detheros posted:

I must play The Ottomans weird then because I've triggered that coalition event 4 times. :v:

It keeps happening. (I have a 10 year truce with the Mamluks)

Detheros fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 27, 2017

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Poil posted:

Totally. Never. :allears:

(I stumbled on this earlier tonight)

Edit: Apparently this was one of the changes in Hotfix 1.12.1
Fixed an exploit where you could give away the provinces of your war allies even if they were not occupied (you should only be able to give away your own unoccupied provinces)

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 27, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was well on my way toward the For Odin achievement when I absent-mindedly converted to Christianity earlier today. Oops

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
On my last Auld Alliance run I formed GB, not tried it since then. Don't get why things like that are excluded anyway. Same with the Norway/Sweden achievements, starting as them should be good enough.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is that the AI?!?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Stupid newbie question: I'm Castile. Why are my armies losing men each month even though I'm not at war? I have 0 manpower, and my armies lose a couple hundred men each month. They have little skulls and what looks like a pile of leather bags or something next to them in the Army HUD. It's really cutting into my momentum for turning Aragon into my new vacation resort.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Peas and Rice posted:

Stupid newbie question: I'm Castile. Why are my armies losing men each month even though I'm not at war? I have 0 manpower, and my armies lose a couple hundred men each month. They have little skulls and what looks like a pile of leather bags or something next to them in the Army HUD. It's really cutting into my momentum for turning Aragon into my new vacation resort.

Having too many units in one province causes you to lose men to attrition. You can check the supply limit for each province by clicking on it. Hovering over a province with your army selected will also show you the supply compared to your army.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Peas and Rice posted:

They are suffering attrition because you have got too many men in one province.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Army#Supply_and_attrition

tl;dr the province screen will list the supply limit for that province, if you have more thousands of men than that limit in the province some people will die every month until there are fewer. As you might expect the limit is lower in provinces with harsh terrain or climate. Technology increases will eventually raise it considerably. Solution: don't stack up all your regiments into one big army, split them up across two or more provinces when you're not using them for active campaigning.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

skasion posted:

They are suffering attrition because you have got too many men in one province.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Army#Supply_and_attrition

tl;dr the province screen will list the supply limit for that province, if you have more thousands of men than that limit in the province some people will die every month until there are fewer. As you might expect the limit is lower in provinces with harsh terrain or climate. Technology increases will eventually raise it considerably. Solution: don't stack up all your regiments into one big army, split them up across two or more provinces when you're not using them for active campaigning.

Ahh, that's it then. 31,000 dudes were all hanging out together in the southern Iberian deserts. Probably not a great idea. Thank you!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

Ahh, that's it then. 31,000 dudes were all hanging out together in the southern Iberian deserts. Probably not a great idea. Thank you!

Stop dying cowards!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
One other stupid newbie question: what's the best way to convert Granada from Sunni to Catholic? It says that development levels there means my missionaries will never be effective. Do I need to develop the province more before they'll work?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

One other stupid newbie question: what's the best way to convert Granada from Sunni to Catholic? It says that development levels there means my missionaries will never be effective. Do I need to develop the province more before they'll work?

No, more develop means it's harder to convert. There's an advisor you can recruit that increase your conversion rate, the religious national ideas can also do this, and there are some decisions you can take that will help but these may only open up later.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's not specifically the development preventing conversion, it's that your nation's missionary strength (which you can see in the religion screen) is being reduced by the development + being sunni + maybe some other stuff to the point that the missionary strength is less than 0.00%

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Castile gets plenty of missionary strength without Religious ideas. They get +2% from their national ideas, and various decisions will give them additional bonuses over the course of the game. So just hang in there and put up with having some heathen provinces until you get the missionary bonuses necessary to convert those provinces. Hiring an inquisitor advisor might get you there sooner.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you hover over the conversion rate in the religious tab it'll show you a breakdown of all the reasons. Your missionary strength (especially as a Catholic) will gradually build up over the course of the game via decisions that become available, but the general short term way to convert a tricky province is by hiring the inquisitor advisor; with one there are generally very few provinces that'll still be unconvertable.

It's worth mentioning though that for those particular provinces, there's an event that'll trigger before too long that'll convert them for free for you if you pick one of the choices. That's a very unique kind of event though, only a handful of places in the world have that, so you normally can't rely on something like that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

As a heads up, you can get a discounted Inquisitor advisor from your Clergy Estate (if you have that DLC).
If you have a different DLC (I cannot remember which), you can set an Edict that gives you +1% Missionary Strength in the state that the provinces in question are the wrong religion.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Is that the AI?!?

Nah, just an attempt at Master of India that I scratched because gently caress fighting Ming in 1788.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

As a heads up, you can get a discounted Inquisitor advisor from your Clergy Estate (if you have that DLC).
If you have a different DLC (I cannot remember which), you can set an Edict that gives you +1% Missionary Strength in the state that the provinces in question are the wrong religion.

Estate DLC is Cossacks, Edict DLC is Mandate of Heaven.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Question: How many units does a conquistador need with him for the Seven Cities/Fountain of Youth quests about? And is Australia/New Zealand part of that now that they're technically colonial areas?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shouldn't need more than 3 units if you keep your morale high. If you skimp on maintenance then 5 is really safe

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

BeAuMaN posted:

And is Australia/New Zealand part of that now that they're technically colonial areas

no, only north/south america, or areas of random map.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The lack of the nobility estate in the English monarchy is really killing me. I've become way too dependent on that free 40 tradition general.

On the plus side, I've consolidated the centres of trade in Netherlands/Brabant by like 1480 so I can eat all that English channel money. It only cost me a huge HRE coalition.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
My heir died. How do I kill my queen so I can get a younger consort and make a new heir?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Peas and Rice posted:

My heir died. How do I kill my queen so I can get a younger consort and make a new heir?

I don't think your ruler/consort's age actually matters for heir chance at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Then how do I get my king and queen back in the bedroom? Because right now I've got a big red warning that England and France are going to duke it out to see who I end up underneath in a personal union.

• Locked thread