Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

catlord posted:

A really stupid question popped into my head and now I can't get it out. Does catnip affect Tamaraneans?
They're not catpeople so probably not.

TenCentFang posted:

Batman feels emasculated when the JLA solves his problems and no one wants to make him feel bad.
The Supes QuickFix was actually bad given the social order was properly hosed. He could have used advanced Kryponian supercontracting and SuperBuilt a bunch of libraries orphanages and hospitals and the ganglords would made hell on earth to get control of them.

Plus the whole written off by the USA thing.

Basically Puerto Rico is an intricate NML LARP now.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FilthyImp posted:

They're not catpeople so probably not.

Are you sure? Everything I've seen (I haven't read Teen Titans myself though) says that Tamaraneans evolved from some kind of feline or feline-like species.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

FilthyImp posted:

The Supes QuickFix was actually bad given the social order was properly hosed. He could have used advanced Kryponian supercontracting and SuperBuilt a bunch of libraries orphanages and hospitals and the ganglords would made hell on earth to get control of them.

You're right, I forgot ganglords are always trying to get their evil hands on orphanages and hospitals.

catlord posted:

Are you sure? Everything I've seen (I haven't read Teen Titans myself though) says that Tamaraneans evolved from some kind of feline or feline-like species.

I just assumed you were asking because your name was catlord and it was some kind of furry thing.

On an unrelated note, if anyone wants to hire someone to fact check your furry fanfiction, I am absolutely the girl for the job.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Comixology is doing a sale right now. You can get the first five issues of EVERY series of Rebirth for 1 USD each. So, 5 USD per series. Great way to try out the entirety of Rebirth and choose which series to follow.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I am five pages into Teen Titans and I want to punch Damian Wayne in the face. He looks like he's going to be an awful character who brings down this series. I hope I am proved wrong.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I haven't read it but Damian is a tough character to get right. It's way too easy to make him an intolerable little poo poo, rather than an endearing little poo poo.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zoro posted:

I am five pages into Teen Titans and I want to punch Damian Wayne in the face. He looks like he's going to be an awful character who brings down this series. I hope I am proved wrong.

I only read the first couple issues, and he was peak rear end in a top hat. Any Damian story where he meets new people tends to involve him being a condescending little jerk, him being called out, and then them becoming friends. He's Batman as a tween/teen, and he's really quite wonderful. Check out Batman & Son or Morrison's Batman and Robin.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zoro posted:

It's a bad comic with a terrible Damian Wayne.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

TenCentFang posted:

I just assumed you were asking because your name was catlord and it was some kind of furry thing.

gently caress it, when I get paid I'm changing my username.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

It's a bad comic with a terrible Damian Wayne.

On the other hand it isnt.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought the recent story with Aqualad was pretty good. I quite enjoyed his interactions with Black Manta...like, it's basically what we were promised way back when the character first appeared in Brightest Day (holy poo poo lol) and then just never came about until now.

I can absolutely understand someone dropping it over Damian's depiction. Though honestly I think even that hasn't been too bad outside of the disastrous Deathstroke crossover.

The biggest issue of the series, frankly, is that it still hasn't established, even a little bit, why any of these other characters give any sort of poo poo what Damian thinks at all about literally anything, and yet most of the plots keep happening because they do inexplicably give those shits, and so there's this constant cloud of "Wait, why is this happening?" throughout every single issue of the series.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Tell me one reason I should read new Superman number 2. The Chinese Superman. Because I read Issue Number 1 and I really see no reason to continue. The guy seems like an arrogant prick and he's a bully, I know he was only a bully because his mom died but that's doesn't excuse lovely behavior and Superman is better than that. Yes, I know that isn't Superman but he wears the name.

Also, is Lana Lang Superwoman or Batwoman worth my time? Also, how is Jaime Reyes as the Blue Beetle in rebirth?

Because frankly the only thing I'm really liking so far as Superman, but I haven't gotten around to Batman and Wonder Woman yet and I did like them in Trinity so I do expect them to be good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zoro posted:

Tell me one reason I should read new Superman number 2. The Chinese Superman. Because I read Issue Number 1 and I really see no reason to continue. The guy seems like an arrogant prick and he's a bully, I know he was only a bully because his mom died but that's doesn't excuse lovely behavior and Superman is better than that. Yes, I know that isn't Superman but he wears the name.

Also, is Lana Lang Superwoman or Batwoman worth my time? Also, how is Jaime Reyes as the Blue Beetle in rebirth?

Because frankly the only thing I'm really liking so far as Superman, but I haven't gotten around to Batman and Wonder Woman yet and I did like them in Trinity so I do expect them to be good.

The plot is literally about how he becomes worthy of the name.

Like for good or ill it's "what if Flash Thompson became Spider-Man?" but follows the idea that Flash Thompson could eventually become someone who justifies that name.

It actually does have things to say about the Superman name and what it means and the protagonist starting as a poo poo is... well, the closest comparison is actually Superboy post-Death of Superman who is actually a pretty similar character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think a lot of people had that same reaction to the first issue, but the character develops a lot really quickly once he's entrenched in a setting where he can't be the bully anymore. I guess just trust that the book isn't actually about a douchey bully who gets to be called Superman without earning it, but more about a dopey kid who really grows into the role.

Also, the supporting characters are bloody fantastic.

Zoro posted:

Also, how is Jaime Reyes as the Blue Beetle in rebirth?
I found Giffen's writing really, really, really loving obnoxious in the first couple issues that I read, and cannot in good faith recommend it to anyone else. Which is a drat shame.

Though if anyone has kept up with the series, I'd be really interested to know if it has improved since then.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 26, 2017

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

ImpAtom posted:

The plot is literally about how he becomes worthy of the name.

Like for good or ill it's "what if Flash Thompson became Spider-Man?" but follows the idea that Flash Thompson could eventually become someone who justifies that name.

It actually does have things to say about the Superman name and what it means and the protagonist starting as a poo poo is... well, the closest comparison is actually Superboy post-Death of Superman who is actually a pretty similar character.

All right then, I already bought them because I was stupid and kind of bought things without reading the first one for some reason. So I'll give it a chance. I was just going to chalk it up as a waste, but you've made me interested to see where it goes.

I actually really like stories where bad people turn good and redeem themselves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zoro posted:

All right then, I already bought them because I was stupid and kind of bought things without reading the first one for some reason. So I'll give it a chance. I was just going to chalk it up as a waste, but you've made me interested to see where it goes.

I actually really like stories where bad people turn good and redeem themselves.

Yeah, for what it is worth I was super turned off by the first issue and it wasn't until people here praised it that I got back into it. I ended up liking it more than I expected. It's not my favorite Superman book ever or anything but for a good period it was the Superman book I was enjoying the most of the ones being currently published. As mentioned the supporting cast really helps sell it once they get into things. It works better once he has more people to play off of.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teen Titans was good until the Deathstroke crossover and I really liked Damian in that series until that point where everything, including logic and storytelling basics, went out the window.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Once I realized the Journey To The West thing New Super-Man was going for is when I started getting into it

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Get Green Arrow and Detective Comics, new guy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Damian's depiction in Teen Titans feels purely like what somebody imagines him to be like based on a wikipedia bio.

But that wasn't the reason I dropped it. I dropped it because I didn't like how the rest of the characters were characterized and used. Beast Boy exists solely as a target to be mocked by everybody else, Raven exists solely to be a love interest for Wally after two interactions, and I can't thing of a single thing Starfire has done other than just be there. I'm glad I dropped it before Lazarus Contract, especially now that it seems like it can't go six issues without being thrown into another crossover. I also hate Pham's art, it's beyond ugly.

These are fully my fanboy nitpicks though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

X-O posted:

Teen Titans was good until the Deathstroke crossover and I really liked Damian in that series until that point where everything, including logic and storytelling basics, went out the window.

I also did not agree with how Priest defended his decisions in that arc. He also revealed he does not like Dick Greyson, and has not read any of Wally's stories or Damian's recent stories. Which made him a horrible fit to write a crossover in which he made changes to the status quo.

I also feel like there needs to be less crossovers in DC Comics. I feel they need to get a status quo going before they start shaking them up with things like Crossovers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Get Green Arrow and Detective Comics, new guy.

Yeah, after the last few issues of Superman have stumbled so bad I'd say these are the two most consistently good DC books since Rebirth. Green Arrow being the best.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tom King's Batman is a real rollercoaster but overall I'd call it a very good run of Batmanning. There's some crap that doesn't land but the highs are extremely high.

just like me

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Zoro posted:

Don't bother with Superwoman. It wasn't great but it was a decent read for the first arc, then Superman Reborn happened and the fallout from that (i.e. retconning away the only reason Lana ever had powers) just completely hosed it up and I don't think it's ever recovered.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC promo on the new Wonder Woman with Robinson interview and more art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbHuBtyY2LM

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Out of the Rebirth titles, I feel like I can definitely recommend:

All-Star Batman, Batman, Blue Beetle, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, New Super-Man, Super Sons, Superman, and Trinity.

A lot of people dropped off on Blue Beetle, but I feel like story has built up to something that's worth checking out.

This is also not part of Rebirth, but I would recommend that Raven mini-series Marv Wolfman put out last year. The art is great, and it does a lot to give Raven a decent supporting cast outside of the Titans*. I am a bit biased though because Raven's just one of my favorite characters.

*Which of course Percy is ignoring :argh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
New Super-man is the story of an rear end in a top hat given the powers of the worlds greatest man, except he then promptly loses all those powers and is forced to reckon with not knowing what the gently caress. He is, ultimately deep down, a good person, screening that heart beneath a jerk with a side of jerk persona that bullies and humiliates people. As the series goes on, Kong Keenan learns what it truly means to BE Superman, the burden of the S, and the willingness to do what's right at the cost of ones self.

Add in a healthy dose of Chinese aesthetic and belief systems that make my mouth water and you get New-Superman. It also makes good use of its new characters, brings back some fitting older ones, and I cannot wait for the next issue.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Also Abnett's Aquaman became a fantastic read once Sejic and Khouri stepped in.

The new storyline has a genuinely interesting plot that does some really cool underwater stuff and fleshes out Atlantis a lot more and the art is gorgeous.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

TwoPair posted:

Don't bother with Superwoman. It wasn't great but it was a decent read for the first arc, then Superman Reborn happened and the fallout from that (i.e. retconning away the only reason Lana ever had powers) just completely hosed it up and I don't think it's ever recovered.

Counterpoint: Superwoman is actually readable and has important things to say about womanhood, relationships, and comic books. On the other hand, it was ratfucked from the start by the Superman Reborn waiting in the pipeline since Rebirth was kicked off, so understand that while from an editorial standpoint it was just a vehicle to kill off New 52 Lois, it doesn't shoulder that lying down and aspires to be more.

That's not to say the title doesn't have major problems. It feels like there are whole issues on a cutting room floor somewhere, what with abrupt time jumps between issues (one moment Superwoman decides to go back to Smallville, the next issue she's a Kryptonite monster fighting Supergirl, and then the issue after that they're hanging out at the DEO so quickly even Kara is like WTF), or plot threads like Atomic Skull or the Irons family drama being woven in incongruously. It's like the author was allotted so little room to tell their story, they left it to the reader to piece everything together from context in an extreme case of show, don't tell. It is literally the red-headed stepchild of the Superman family of books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Did either Superwoman or New Super-Man ever address Superman Reborn at all, since the story basically completely voided the event that created both heroes?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

X-O posted:

Did either Superwoman or New Super-Man ever address Superman Reborn at all, since the story basically completely voided the event that created both heroes?

Yes, but not in any really satisfying way. The death of Superbro never happened, and Lana has always been the world's only Superwoman who maybe got their powers from red Kryptonite but maybe didn't?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Superwoman dealt with the retconning (edit: in a dream sequence while she was in a coma or something, but it was very much making a deal of her saying goodbye to her and dead Clark's old status quo.)

Then the original writer quit.
He certainly didn't hear the plans for Reborn during the initial issues. I saw a piece of art on his Twitter the other day and he's obviously still sore about it.

I feel like NSM can get off pretty cleanly since they were collecting Superman's energy before he died anyhow.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 27, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TenCentFang posted:

You're right, I forgot ganglords are always trying to get their evil hands on orphanages and hospitals.
Lol yeah, why would folks locked in a territorial land war fight over a place with a bunch of medicine, living space and technology.

catlord posted:

Actually i'm wrong and they're all feline-descended.
But DC's never made Korry look like she had an orange pelt or anything so I took cat people to be a little too Animu.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
well someone fucks an anthropomorphized pet cat in Doom Patrol so Tamaranians being descended from alien cats instead of alien simians is whatever

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Autism Sneaks posted:

That's not to say the title doesn't have major problems. It feels like there are whole issues on a cutting room floor somewhere, what with abrupt time jumps between issues (one moment Superwoman decides to go back to Smallville, the next issue she's a Kryptonite monster fighting Supergirl, and then the issue after that they're hanging out at the DEO so quickly even Kara is like WTF), or plot threads like Atomic Skull or the Irons family drama being woven in incongruously. It's like the author was allotted so little room to tell their story, they left it to the reader to piece everything together from context in an extreme case of show, don't tell. It is literally the red-headed stepchild of the Superman family of books.

Yes, even without the whole mess that Reborn caused, I always felt like I was on the back foot with Superwoman because it assumed you knew so much about what are fairly obscure little pockets of DC lore.

That said, I do love the design of Lana as Superwoman.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

FilthyImp posted:

Lol yeah, why would folks locked in a territorial land war fight over a place with a bunch of medicine, living space and technology.

I'm sorry, that wasn't actual sarcasm. I was joking because I thought you were talking about just the supertech.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 27, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Oz Effect Pt2 was pretty darn good. Ryan Sook interiors certainly help.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TenCentFang posted:

I'm sorry, that wasn't actual sarcasm. I was joking because I thought you were talking about just the supertech.

He who controls the cyberorphans controls new gotham!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I bought the stupid Evil Cyborg Batman comic just so I could get more of the Bat-faced Death Machine on the cover, and of course it doesn't actually appear in the issue itself :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought Oz Effect Pt2 was pretty darn good. Ryan Sook interiors certainly help.

Oz Effect was certainly helped by not looking like total poo poo, though the difference between it and this week's Detective Comics is night and day. Man, Tim Drake has poo poo luck when it comes to possible futures.