Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You can stop right after that if you wanted to. And its the last time the game rewards you for following the G-route.

Killing the last boss and reaching the level cap should have been the point of no return. Imagine the reaction some players would have if they tried to reset, only to find afterwards that they were still max LV with all the monsters gone, and the only thing to do was go get the ending. Also would fit in with the theme of Chara usurping the player's control, like trying to say Do Not during the ending.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Megalovania is still the best song, which seems like such a weird reward when it's at the very end of a genocide run.

Hearing Megalovania in context was a really cathartic moment. All the frustration of a year and half of evading spoilers came pouring out at once while I was learning the last boss's patterns. Megalovania was one of the only musical spoilers I allowed since I already knew it from Homestuck, but god the whole game's soundtrack was worth the price of admission alone.

Despite the above, my favorite song in the game is Bergentrückung + ASGORE. It's not as fancy as the other endboss songs, but something about hooks right into my brain and doesn't let go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Double Punctuation posted:

Just edit the save file. Nobody really gives a poo poo if you do.

I don't know what this means

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Double Punctuation posted:

I like Undertale, but from what I've heard, Prey handles the themes they were going for with more subtlety and without the savegame/time travel/4th Wall shenanigans.

There's also Spec Ops: The Line, which also doesn't have that stuff but is a lot more blatant with its message. And I do mean "a lot".

They're all good games with something to say about game narratives and player choice, but I like how each one kind of plays off of the criticisms of the other and shows that there's just no pleasing everyone all the time:

-People complained that Spec Ops didn't give you the option to have the player character leave instead of following the mission. Prey lets you leave and people complained that it spoiled the "real" ending. Undertale makes you go out of your way to get the "real" ending and people complained because they hit the first ending and quit thinking that the game was over.

-People complained that Undertale's story was dumb because it wanted you to care about its characters and act like they were real people. Spec Ops and Prey are both games where the story you are playing through is explicitly not real and then people complained that that made it so that nothing really mattered in the end.

-People complained that Prey's ending sucked because you could figure out what the final reveal would be early on if you paid attention and that the ending came without a lot of fanfare or explanation. Spec Ops and Undertale both built up towards big reveals and went out of their way to have big explanatory infodumps at the end then people complained that they were dumb and that they didn't respect their intelligence enough.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

guess i gotta get around to prey before one of you ends up spoiling it for me

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Prey had some hints to early-mid game reveals, but did it have much hinting to the final one aside from the voiceover when you try to escape in Alex's shuttle?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

They're all good games with something to say about game narratives and player choice, but I like how each one kind of plays off of the criticisms of the other and shows that there's just no pleasing everyone all the time:

-People complained that Spec Ops didn't give you the option to have the player character leave instead of following the mission. Prey lets you leave and people complained that it spoiled the "real" ending. Undertale makes you go out of your way to get the "real" ending and people complained because they hit the first ending and quit thinking that the game was over.

-People complained that Undertale's story was dumb because it wanted you to care about its characters and act like they were real people. Spec Ops and Prey are both games where the story you are playing through is explicitly not real and then people complained that that made it so that nothing really mattered in the end.

-People complained that Prey's ending sucked because you could figure out what the final reveal would be early on if you paid attention and that the ending came without a lot of fanfare or explanation. Spec Ops and Undertale both built up towards big reveals and went out of their way to have big explanatory infodumps at the end then people complained that they were dumb and that they didn't respect their intelligence enough.

Every one of these bowls of porridge suck!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

yook posted:

Prey had some hints to early-mid game reveals, but did it have much hinting to the final one aside from the voiceover when you try to escape in Alex's shuttle?

There were some logs (in Psychotronics, I believe) that mentioned a hypothesis of Morgan's regarding the Typhon's lack of mirror neurons, and a proposed "reversal" of the neuromod process, where instead of implanting Typhon cells into humans to give humans powers, they implant human mirror neurons into Typhons to make them less omnicidal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

yook posted:

I kind of figured it out because January constantly kept saying lines like "I never expected YOU to be so empathetic" or otherwise exclaiming about how she was a robot but you acted so amazingly human! so after they got to the point where logs were talking about how neuromods were just shoving alien DNA into people I figured the game's main character was the reverse. I didn't call the entire simulation thing though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Worth noting that I have 4 CDs of video game music in my car for my 10 hour car rides that I have to take every few months (along side normie music).

3 of them are Crypt of the Necrodancer soundtracks (the three main characters) and the last one is Undertale. drat that is some fine music.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Megalovania is still the best song, which seems like such a weird reward when it's at the very end of a genocide run.

The original version is better.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

packetmantis posted:

I like this verion; https://open.spotify.com/track/68Bgwaeb3mM8lrYPWReUex

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsDrWAXHTno

The youtube link has the kind of awkward video, but that dude has some serious skills.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Frush posted:

I like this verion; https://open.spotify.com/track/68Bgwaeb3mM8lrYPWReUex

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsDrWAXHTno

The youtube link has the kind of awkward video, but that dude has some serious skills.

Any excuse to link Nihilist, a cover of Megalovania, from the DETERMINATION Red Album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8ikdbG7HQY&t=2025s

A bunch of really excellent metal-y covers of Undertale tracks. I particularly like Electric Balboa, their cover of Dummy!, which starts at 10:12, because I've never heard a song be carried by grinding bass in that particular way.

E: My god, that video's a sea of annotations now. Sorry about that.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Sep 26, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
i think you'll fund this is the best megalovania

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

packetmantis posted:

Best one is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQBqSt15Vi0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

yook posted:

If you look at the medical scans they have hanging up in the lab studying the simulation they are very clearly not human. Also the entrance/exit to the neuromod testing sim is the only place in the station that has a decontamination lock.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

If you look at the medical scans they have hanging up in the lab studying the simulation they are very clearly not human. Also the entrance/exit to the neuromod testing sim is the only place in the station that has a decontamination lock.

There are other decontamination locks in the game but they're broken.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
While it's not exactly BioEnchanted levels of revisting old games I'm currently playing through Skyrim again after not touching it for a few years (Thank god for quality of life mods). One little thing I really appreciate is how if you go to a shop and buy things they actually disappear from the physical store and get entered into your inventory.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

In addition to the items mentioned in Psychotronics about the implanting of mirror neurons, the simulation is also hinted at if you get into Calvino's cabin in Crew Quarters. Despite having an eidetic memory (described by Morgan in HIS quarters), he's having the onset of Alzheimers, which is being helped by a personalized looking glass-level technology interfacing directly with the brain. There's even a test-stand of it in his quarters.

The game is pretty much the little things since it goes out of it's way to show you stuff was really there all along. Like how late(r) in the game You can find logs referencing hidden caches of a smuggling ring. But if you know where they are beforehand, they're always there ready to give you basically free neuromods and equipment early. Or even a disgruntled crew member floating in space is always there. Normally you have to activate his tracking bracelet about 3/4 of the way through the game, but if you know where he is you can find him and get his sweet loot REALLY early.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
My favorite lesser crew member story was the alcoholic who fell into the eel tanks and drowned, because of the understated horror of being a cannibal-by-proxy for the entire game. Which now that I think about it ties in nicely with the reveal that Neuromods are manufactured by infecting convicts and then killing and recycling them. Heck, just the way that everybody on the staff always conspicuously refers to them as "Volunteers" whether due to the banality of evil or them trying to compartmentalize the evil of what they're doing is so good.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
The QoL improvements in Steamworld Dig are great!

Having the water regen by just being on the surface saves so much time. Actual water alchoves regenning you don't run out anymore aswell!
Plus the sticky bomb shooter you get early instantly gets rid of my gripes of the first game.

Coupled with the nice artstyle, the bigger new town, music and character designs, this may end up being my GoTM.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
One of my favourite parts of Metal Gear Rising is a bit in the game where one of the boss characters tries to break you down mentally by doing the whole "you are a monstrous killer who has murdered thousands of human beings you are no different than I" thing.

At which point your character agrees with him and fully dehumanises himself to face to bloodshed: gaining more potent attacks as he embraces the fact that he's a master at killing people.

The look on the other guys face as he realises what he's unleashed is priceless.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like that subversion but I've always wanted a protagonist to respond "what the gently caress are you on about? We're nothing alike ya clown"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

I like that subversion but I've always wanted a protagonist to respond "what the gently caress are you on about? We're nothing alike ya clown"

:allears: Alpha Protocol, the fight against Marburg in the museum if you've got him to hate you enough. I love that so very much.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

:allears: Alpha Protocol, the fight against Marburg in the museum if you've got him to hate you enough. I love that so very much.

Nice!

It's always so bad "yes I have enslaved endless galaxies and used the sun as a toilet poisoning all of humanity but don't you feel hatred for me in your heart, Bravion Goldenheart? We're not so different..."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The speech even accomodates maximum dickhead Mike. :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or Hitman: Blood Money. "We're practically brothers! You can't do this!" "I can do whatever I'm paid to."

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

One of my favorite little things in MGR is midway through the Armstrong fight when Raiden delivers this line: "I said my sword was a tool of justice. Not used in anger. Not used for vengeance. But now... Now I'm not so sure. And besides, this isn't my sword." because he's literally using someone else's sword at the time

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kit Walker posted:

One of my favorite little things in MGR is midway through the Armstrong fight when Raiden delivers this line: "I said my sword was a tool of justice. Not used in anger. Not used for vengeance. But now... Now I'm not so sure. And besides, this isn't my sword." because he's literally using someone else's sword at the time

Uh, is there some other meaning you thought that was referring to?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ariong posted:

Uh, is there some other meaning you thought that was referring to?

I'm clarifying for whoever hasn't played it. My favorite little thing is the quote

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh. Well, I liked that a lot too. It was incredibly cheesy of course, but it fit right in. Metal Gear Rising is a game that makes no apologies or excuses for how ridiculous it is.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Left hand rule!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the relationships between heroes and villains I'd love for there to the a situation where you doing some kind of sidequest, face it's final villain, have him question why you hate him for doing his job and have the character just respond "Hate you? I have no horse in this race, your not effecting me in any way..." "Then why did you fight your way through my entire compound?" "Because you're kind of a twat, and it's starting to effect people that I like."

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

EmmyOk posted:

Not the protagonist, but the scene in Advance Wars: Days of Ruin where your second-in-command Lin catches up to the scumbag commander Greyfield who you had just defeated and who had previously killed Lin's (and your) captain is 10/10 with this.

Here's the whole scene which I quickly put together, portraits courtesy of Seraphroy's LP. Spoiler warning for the 2008 DS game obviously:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=149133

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Sep 28, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

The old Orson Welles ploy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
MGR is such a good game and there's no reason you haven't played it

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have my gripes about Samus Returns but the Aeion abilities do feel like a good addition to a 31-year-old formula. You have the Scan Pulse which permanently reveals a large section of the map you're in the center off, as well showing you what blocks are breakable. This negates the old habit of just firing at every wall in hope of finding secrets. There's the Lightning-Armor which lets you absorb damage for an edge in boss fights as well as factoring into puzzles. The Phase Drift lets you slow time around you like Dio's The World which for once let's you run over those annoying vanishing blocks and you can use it puzzles not designed for it.

The version of Shine-sparking is piss-easy this time since you just have to find the right position and press a button, a huge change from Zero Mission's frame-perfect fuckery. Really the game is the opposite of most Metroids, it's the hardest the finish but the easiest to 100%.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Calaveron posted:

MGR is such a good game and there's no reason you haven't played it

Here's the singular reason I have not:

I

SUCK

AT

IT

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Then play on easy and practice parrying for a while, it's such a fun weird game and it has the best shouty butt rock soundtrack I've ever heard.

Like, yeah, it's hard to say I'm any good at it, but Chip Cheezum's LP showed me enough of the ropes to muddle through to the amazing Platinum-via-Platinum finale.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Jerry Cotton posted:

Here's the singular reason I have not:

I

SUCK

AT

IT

:same: I got to a point and could not get any further because random button mashing and stick pushing was no longer adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I love MGR for having an easy to access combo list and names for all of your moves.

And also for being so much easier to comprehend than Bayonetta. And just easier in general. No damage floors or enemies showing up that hurt you if you come into contact with them, as far as I can remember.