Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The backlit screens on the lite and the DSi are leagues better though, and the stylus on the original DS is tiny and awful.

If you just want to play DS games in the best manner, I'd get a DS Lite for a smaller form factor and a DSiXL for a larger one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My only gripe with the DS Lite is that it uses a power connector that nothing else uses. Why did they have to change it so many times?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
See, this is why I have gameboys that use AA batteries.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Black borders are what I'm trying to avoid. And stretching.

DSi XL is the best for DS games, IMO. The resolution/scaling on the 3DS XL either means you are only using a portion of the screen or it is stretched.

The DSi XL has the matched sized screens and the microphone is located in the hinge which makes it easier to play with games like Spirit Tracks that requires you to blow into the mic (playing these on a 3DS or 2DS where the microphone is to the side or on the bottom is a pain in the rear end, while you can look straight at the screens on the DSi XL).

I rarely touch my DSlite anymore since the screens are so small (and I'd rather use a GBA for GBA games).

If you get a DSi XL, bronze is the best. Looks like it should be carried in a leather case and played at board meetings. Hands down my favorite looking DS/3DS system (including my Majora's Mask N3DSXL)

edit: they also use 3DS chargers, so if you have a 3DS/2DS already, that adds convenience over the earlier DS's.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 26, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Hard disagree on the color choice though. DSi bronze looks like it's 80s beige, which has appeal to me on some electronics but not a DSi. :toot: But that's all opinion!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

See, this is why I have gameboys that use AA batteries.
But my parents won't give me anymore. They say I have to go sit next to a power outlet instead. This isn't really portable mom, you're ruining my life!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Caitlin posted:

Hard disagree on the color choice though. DSi bronze looks like it's 80s beige, which has appeal to me on some electronics but not a DSi. :toot: But that's all opinion!

Haha, no worries. Ya, it does look like something that Patrick Bateman would play while listening to Huey Lewis with his feet on the desk, but I like it. Looks crisp and the colors offset well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

In cars, they call that color "champagne".

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
nvm

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 27, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Look at this beauty... crisp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If you slapped a Texas Instruments logo on it, it would look totally natural.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Needs more woodgrain

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Cubivore_ posted:

I wish. No, Just the console. Bought the game elsewhere for $300

:stare: I bought Radiant Silvergun many years ago for an inflated price (which I admit was a mistake), but 300 for a single game is just absurd.

Are you aware that you can use that AR+ cart to play CDRs and thus save yourself a lot of money? Look into Pseudo Saturn.

Saturn is a cool system though. Be sure to get some of the many arcade ports, they were second-to-none back then (except DonPachi, that port sucks).

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

GutBomb posted:

Needs more woodgrain

(I'll probably get one of these things and see if I can turn it into a Retropie or something)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

Look at this beauty... crisp

I have one in that color, and it really is pretty much perfect.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

TheMadMilkman posted:

Thirded, but I hardly use mine anymore. Funny how you get through the part of a system's library that holds any of your interest when you've had it for 13 years.

The stylus is an oddly good match for the black New 3DS XL, though, so it still sees a fair bit of use, especially when I was chasing the Picross.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheMadMilkman posted:

I had one in that color but in the end being able to play GBA titles without relying on the Supercard DSTWO's emulator was more important to me, so I went back to my DS Lite with EZ Flash IV to load GBA games from the slot 1 card and sold the dsi xl.

TVs Ian posted:

(I'll probably get one of these things and see if I can turn it into a Retropie or something)

Depending on who you believe about it, it'll either be a low power x86-64 system or a high end Android system, so you'll be able to do a lot more than RetroPie with it. Whether it'll be worth the easily like $100-$150 extra cost on top of what a similar system would cost though, that's really up to you.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

glad my bronze brethren (and sistren) showed up.

fishmech posted:

Depending on who you believe about it, it'll either be a low power x86-64 system or a high end Android system, so you'll be able to do a lot more than RetroPie with it. Whether it'll be worth the easily like $100-$150 extra cost on top of what a similar system would cost though, that's really up to you.

AMD processor and radeon graphics and supposed to be close to a "mid-range" PC, but runs Linux. So I am guessing close to an Alienware Alpha R2 (I hope not original Alpha specs at this point, but I have a feeling it will be since that is close to the base PS4/XB1 specs... a little better even). So its basically a Steam machine but a custom linux instead of SteamOS... depending on the graphics, it may be an interesting console PC. Ha, if it is X86 just install Windows and the Alpha front end so you can control everything from the controller.

I do like the look of the early design images... but thats probably about it. And them pushing its ability for various streaming services and web browsing makes me thing it may not even be as powerful as they say it is.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 27, 2017

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Ofecks posted:

:stare: I bought Radiant Silvergun many years ago for an inflated price (which I admit was a mistake), but 300 for a single game is just absurd.

I used to agree, but now I think that you're allowed at least one big exorbitant nerdy purchase in life. Maybe Cubivore is a huge Magic Knight Rayearth fan.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I'm really happy I bought Magic Knights Rayearth at release.

e : and that's saying something considering I had to buy an entire Saturn with it so I could play it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought a switch to play BOTW and Mario kart 8, both games I already owned on Wii U, so I feel you on that front :10bux:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mill Village posted:

drat, and I thought $150 was too much. It's really jumped up since I last checked.

Yup.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Didn't it have three different versions and they each had a 1000 disc print run, all distributed in a chicken coop in western Pennsylvania?

Because yup.

I managed to snag mine in the late 90s for $20 new, and occasionally kick around the idea of selling my copy because holy gently caress. Copies on Ebay seemed to be climbing even higher last year, including one that sold for $500. I listed mine at $600 on the off chance somebody hated money and wanted to give me some. It was the second cheapest complete copy on there for all of a week, and then a bunch popped up around $300-$350 and the dream was dead so I let the listing expire.

Mine is technically still up for grabs if anyone wants to give me, oh, what the hell let's just say $650 now. :shepspends:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FireMrshlBill posted:

glad my bronze brethren (and sistren) showed up.

AMD processor and radeon graphics and supposed to be close to a "mid-range" PC, but runs Linux. So I am guessing close to an Alienware Alpha R2 (I hope not original Alpha specs at this point, but I have a feeling it will be since that is close to the base PS4/XB1 specs... a little better even). So its basically a Steam machine but a custom linux instead of SteamOS... depending on the graphics, it may be an interesting console PC. Ha, if it is X86 just install Windows and the Alpha front end so you can control everything from the controller.

I do like the look of the early design images... but thats probably about it. And them pushing its ability for various streaming services and web browsing makes me thing it may not even be as powerful as they say it is.

Yeah it kind of sounds like they're going to recycle orginal Xbone class hardware and you could just get a new one of those for I think $200 now and a used one for like $100-$150. But like I said in the past they'd implied it was going to be like another ARM SoC.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Ofecks posted:

Are you aware that you can use that AR+ cart to play CDRs and thus save yourself a lot of money? Look into Pseudo Saturn.

Saturn is a cool system though. Be sure to get some of the many arcade ports, they were second-to-none back then (except DonPachi, that port sucks).

I don't spend too much on gaming so I decided to treat myself for once. If I regret it later I can always resell it and get my money back.

The only other game I'll probably get is Dark Savior. Everything else I'll burn on disc.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
DSi XL boy chiming in. It's a wonderful system and the hardware feels better built and more solid than the 3DS imo.
Also the screens were very consistent from what I remember. DS lite had lots of bottom screens with the white balance set to yellow. Can't speak for the non XL DSi though.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Cubivore_ posted:

I don't spend too much on gaming so I decided to treat myself for once. If I regret it later I can always resell it and get my money back.

I suspect this idea is driving a lot of the retro bubble. Unless you scuff up that Keio Flying Squadron disc or dunk your Hagane cartridge in acid, you usually have the option of eBaying rarities for what you paid...or more.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So how hard is it to softmod and replace the hard-drive on the old fat Xbox? I got a old Xbox today along with Splinter Cell and gone ahead and ordered a USB adapter for the XBox controller, but anyone else has experience with this method and also replacing the hard-drive?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If your replacement hard drive is IDE you should be all systems go but ensure you follow all instructions exactly because poo poo gets very weird, like you'll probably have to unplug the DVD drive and have your replacement drive as a slave so the stock drive can be cloned to it, and expect to have some fun with jumpers on the drives.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

So how hard is it to softmod and replace the hard-drive on the old fat Xbox? I got a old Xbox today along with Splinter Cell and gone ahead and ordered a USB adapter for the XBox controller, but anyone else has experience with this method and also replacing the hard-drive?

Check the drive compatibility list (you need drives that can lock reliably) and have the y cable power connectors to simplify some steps, and it's easy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rirse posted:

Haven't done it since high school but poo poo's easy

They made things a bit trickier with the 360 because it was so crazy rampant on OG xboxes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a good hard-drive to use on Amazon?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

Is there a good hard-drive to use on Amazon?

Most of the good ones (lockable, reliable, 320 GB or more) are on there.

You might instead order a SATA to ide convertor with lock support and get laptop drives in, or even m2/msata to ide converter with locking and a spare m2 ssd if you have some about.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Most of the good ones (lockable, reliable, 320 GB or more) are on there.

You might instead order a SATA to ide convertor with lock support and get laptop drives in, or even m2/msata to ide converter with locking and a spare m2 ssd if you have some about.

I do have a lot of extra SATA hard-drives. I was about to order the same PATA hard-drive I used on my PS2 with great success, but all the Amazon reviews with XBox in the text are negative.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Rirse posted:

I do have a lot of extra SATA hard-drives. I was about to order the same PATA hard-drive I used on my PS2 with great success, but all the Amazon reviews with XBox in the text are negative.

I recently ordered a ps2 network adaptor out of boredom. Do you mind linking that hdd in case none of the ancient ones I have lying around work?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

Yeah ps2 didn't care about IDE lock support, most computers didn't either. But the Xbox relies on it unless it's hard modchip installed to bypass those checks.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

moller posted:

I recently ordered a ps2 network adaptor out of boredom. Do you mind linking that hdd in case none of the ancient ones I have lying around work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YJ2UPA

It comes around to 232 GB in the end and pretty much had enough room to put all the JRPGs, niche and exclusive PS2 games on it. Dunno what the solution to put files onto it if your PC doesn't have a PATA hard-drive plug, which I had a older PC that had them for installing.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Quiet Feet posted:

Yup.

Because yup.

I managed to snag mine in the late 90s for $20 new, and occasionally kick around the idea of selling my copy because holy gently caress. Copies on Ebay seemed to be climbing even higher last year, including one that sold for $500. I listed mine at $600 on the off chance somebody hated money and wanted to give me some. It was the second cheapest complete copy on there for all of a week, and then a bunch popped up around $300-$350 and the dream was dead so I let the listing expire.

Mine is technically still up for grabs if anyone wants to give me, oh, what the hell let's just say $650 now. :shepspends:

Nice! Even adjusted for inflation, that would still be a great return if you had to sell it.

That said...is Magic Knight Rayearth even a good game?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Nice! Even adjusted for inflation, that would still be a great return if you had to sell it.

That said...is Magic Knight Rayearth even a good game?

Eh. It's the kind of thing that would be an obscure decent game if it wasn't for the price tag. But paying that much for "okay" rather than "transcendent" just feels wrong.

Also, Quiet Feet should have waited for a better discount like I did. :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I never bothered playing Rayearth because everybody always complained about it being really short but it's probably the ideal length for me nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

Eh. It's the kind of thing that would be an obscure decent game if it wasn't for the price tag. But paying that much for "okay" rather than "transcendent" just feels wrong.

Also, Quiet Feet should have waited for a better discount like I did. :v:

Sounds about like what I would expect, being an anime/manga license and all. I could see how it would be hot poo poo to otaku gamers in the mid to late 1990s, when anime was more obscure in the US and releases often meant settling for Viz VHS stuff or finding hookups for fansubs.

• Locked thread