Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Sounds interesting then. Coming from BF PC versions, everyone always tried to make guns have vertical recoil instead of side to side jumping because is easier to control. Just unlocked the madsen LMG and well, both feel like nerf weapons, I see LMG's do poo poo damage. Adjusting from BF4 will take some time I guess.

Edit: I'll just sperg some on Symthic and see how weapons behave and see what should I try since this game has a weird "spend credits" unlock system instead of naturally unlocking stuff.

Next patch will significantly buff LMGs. They're basically going to take 1 to 2 fewer bullets to kill, which will make them viable. The Madsen feels good to use but the magazine blocking a huge part of the screen is rather annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Live At Five! posted:

Next patch will significantly buff LMGs. They're basically going to take 1 to 2 fewer bullets to kill, which will make them viable. The Madsen feels good to use but the magazine blocking a huge part of the screen is rather annoying.

Frankly this should have been the case initially, like, you do pay a serious visibility penalty given how unwieldy the graphics are, which is by design, but like you don't get any benefit that offsets it.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Leave it to :dice: to set a game in WWI and have SMGs rule while LMGs are inaccurate and low damage.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Lmgs are more accurate than smgs, they just gain accuracy as you fire.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

lol if they buff LMGs I might not play anything else but support, the MG 15 n.A. and Benet Mercie are monstrous already and I routinely murder entire squads with them.

Tried out the Lewis today so I could work towards unlocking some of the new guns, it sucks up close but prone at a distance it can mulch people. Usually they just jump around trying to figure out where the stream of bullets is coming from - you can even pick off snipers with it if they panic.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

lol if they buff LMGs I might not play anything else but support, the MG 15 n.A. and Benet Mercie are monstrous already and I routinely murder entire squads with them.

Tried out the Lewis today so I could work towards unlocking some of the new guns, it sucks up close but prone at a distance it can mulch people. Usually they just jump around trying to figure out where the stream of bullets is coming from - you can even pick off snipers with it if they panic.

a shame they nerfed explosives, the frag crossbow was my best weapon as support

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm just tired of explosives getting nerfed, like direct hits with mortars don't kill you, what the gently caress.

E: Oh neat crossbow grenades are equally as useless. Glad they added a bunch of unlocks that require explosives. I suppose I can assume dynamite and AT grenades are just as poo poo too.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 24, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I still get a ton of kills with the crossbow, too. Not as many as I used to, but chucking a gas grenade into a building full of dudes and then double-launching crossbow nades in it usually gets me a multikill. It's resource-heavy but that's what ammo pouches are for I guess.

Mortars are total poo poo now, though, yeah.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I consider dynamite not sticking to vehicles to be a nerf. Jihad Quad 4 Life.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Passive measures are just boring in addition to being bad. And yeah it is palpably different how poo poo the AT gun's blast radius and margin for error is now versus at launch or even pre-TSNP. It still rules but goddamn am I tired of explosives getting the short end of the stick. It's just like LMGs. Lol at a game about WWI featuring explosives that feel like farts. I know we gotta make some allowances for balance of infantry play but dang!

Also new platoon name, it's us, the Grimsby Chums of the Pals Battalion lol thanks wiki

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Oh man I just unlocked the Mosin and it feels really good.

Also the Mars Automatic pistol is incredible and I can't believe I waited so long to test it out. Even though some of these tasks to unlock new guns are a bit tedious, I'm playing with a lot of stuff I've never really used before, and some of it is way better than I expected.

Except the 1903 Experimental, that thing is poo poo. Kinda want to run it + Kolibri for the most humiliating kills possible.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

1903 Experimental is good, you just need to pull the trigger ten times. It has no recoil and shoots super fast just spam the trigger.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Holy poo poo the perino is a silly laser of a gun that never overheats.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

e.pilot posted:

Holy poo poo the perino is a silly laser of a gun that never overheats.

It's also a comically oversized cartoon which is amazing to see show up in best squad screenshots

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I don't think I would have ever gotten the two LMG aircraft kills without it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Guillermus posted:

Sounds interesting then. Coming from BF PC versions, everyone always tried to make guns have vertical recoil instead of side to side jumping because is easier to control. Just unlocked the madsen LMG and well, both feel like nerf weapons, I see LMG's do poo poo damage. Adjusting from BF4 will take some time I guess.

Edit: I'll just sperg some on Symthic and see how weapons behave and see what should I try since this game has a weird "spend credits" unlock system instead of naturally unlocking stuff.

Buy the Benet Mercie storm, slap on AA sights, treat it like an assault rifle. I've been branching onto other LMGs a fair bit, but this is still the most versatile gun in the game for my money. Tap fire to murder dudes at range, can win a close range face-off against SMGs if you are lucky, it's a properly solid and useful gun in any circumstances.

I am looking forward to the LMG buff though, trying to use the Lewis gun for the unlock assignment was hellish, still feels so utterly poo poo. Speaking as a Brit, that's the most iconic WW1 gun I can think of, but it just feels like it's firing table tennis balls with elastic bands, I struggle to win engagements at any distance with it. I'd love this to become a gun I could actually use, DICE pls

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh yes, the Benet mercie feels way better. I think the main problem is that the damage model is weird because I leave A LOT of guys with like 9hp left very often even when I have the upper hand because both the lewis and the madsen are bad. My point is that the basic medic weapon feels fine but proning with these two LMGs leave me cold when I miss so many shots because they either spread too much on short bursts or just shots don't connect at all at like 30-40m. I'm looking forward on trying the BAR since I've always had a soft spot for it in WWII games (it owned in CoD1 and MoHAA).

How are shotguns on this? In BC2 shotguns were amazing. In BF3 you had the slug SPAS-12 wich was drat nice and on BF4 they were often bad because of the random pellet spread (I ended using the slug saiga a lot).

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Buy the Benet Mercie storm, slap on AA sights, treat it like an assault rifle. I've been branching onto other LMGs a fair bit, but this is still the most versatile gun in the game for my money. Tap fire to murder dudes at range, can win a close range face-off against SMGs if you are lucky, it's a properly solid and useful gun in any circumstances.

I am looking forward to the LMG buff though, trying to use the Lewis gun for the unlock assignment was hellish, still feels so utterly poo poo. Speaking as a Brit, that's the most iconic WW1 gun I can think of, but it just feels like it's firing table tennis balls with elastic bands, I struggle to win engagements at any distance with it. I'd love this to become a gun I could actually use, DICE pls

Seconding the Mercie, solid general purpose gun plus its the weirdest looking LMG which is a big plus

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
If you have a long range secondary (AT gun wheee) then shotguns rule, the 10-A Hunter is drat near hellbeagle OP. Also they're fun and gratuitous and infuriating. If you don't like the ranged gunplay they're perfectly viable, but also will benefit from deeper knowledge of the maps so you can move to engage safely.

E also the Bowel Movement is my fave LMG yeah

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If you like the Benet wait until you unlock the Chauchat :discourse:

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Madsen low weight is currently my best gun with 14 service stars. Kills slightly less fast as the BAR but has 10 more bullets and regains accuracy much faster. It's a great run and gun type of weapon while still being able to be used to medium and even long ranges with the bipod.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

e.pilot posted:

If you like the Benet wait until you unlock the Chauchat :discourse:

Too slow, not nuff bullets man. Has its place but the BM is just more flexible.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Also new platoon name, it's us, the Grimsby Chums of the Pals Battalion lol thanks wiki

Near the beginning of the war the British thought it'd be a good for morale and recruiting to put everyone from the same town together. The stopped doing it when the realized all the young men from a town being killed in one day was having the opposite effect.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Applied to your Platoon, the more I join, the easier to find goons to play with!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Too slow, not nuff bullets man. Has its place but the BM is just more flexible.
:agreed:

The Benet Mercie is my most used gun and I really wanted to like the Chauchat, but it just didn't click for me.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I just unlocked the Chauchat today and man it really rips at short-ish engagement distances where some of the other LMGs struggle a bit. The recoil is a bit heavy, but if you aim low you can just let it walk up into people's heads.

Went 25-5 with it on one of the smaller Russian maps in Domination, but that might just be because people are still figuring out the maps. I do wish it had just a few more rounds, but it actually reloads pretty quickly. Feels very assault rifle-ish, which is what I liked about the Benet Mercie, too.

Also man I'm not looking forward to shooting down 2 planes.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

Managed to shoot down two planes in one round last night on monte grappa. The trick is to go after planes that have already been damaged or are currently being shot at by AA or other planes. I found the mg15 suppressive the best, since it has a massive magazine and doesn't really need the bipod when being used as AA.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Are some of the assignments glitched? I spam health all day and can't unlock the 'heal 10 different squad members' assignment. And throw down supply crates constantly and still can't get the 100 resupplies in a round assignment.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just some highlights from the weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hawIL4f7Gc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWq42hWCo3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBawfiUNIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt8y-tBPuP8

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

red19fire posted:

Are some of the assignments glitched? I spam health all day and can't unlock the 'heal 10 different squad members' assignment. And throw down supply crates constantly and still can't get the 100 resupplies in a round assignment.

The "heal ten dif squad mates' requires ten unique team mates in one round, meaning you have to switch squads a few times ingame. It's a kinda dumb requirement i just did the other 5 for that assignment.

The resupply 100 dudes one isn't bugged, i did it myself iirc on the new russian map Tsaryityan or whatever it called. With the pouch AND ammo box on both gadget slots you can knock it out easy like 10 mins into a round.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Finally done with the Lewis (did the 50 kill with the supressive version) and god, it's awful, no matter you hold down the trigger and see hitmarkers. Way too many people get hit 4-5 times and still survive the thing.

At least I'm free to use the Benet and try the chauchat. The MG15 looks decent so I'll keep tring new stuff. I really should switch a bit classes so I unlock stuff for the others but giving ammo has been a drug for me since Bad Company 1.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Did dice break bayonet charges? More often than not my charges just glance off and don't do anything or just kind of stop and do nothing. I've seen it happen to dudes charging me too.

Like this:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/epilot5280/video/37088754

Also needing to get 15 kills with HE trip mines but nerfing them to only do 72 damage can suck a giant dick.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Apparently I'm in rare company :madmax:

Also from earlier tonight:

https://i.imgur.com/XVYOVJ1.gifv

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 27, 2017

red19fire
May 26, 2010

e.pilot posted:

Did dice break bayonet charges? More often than not my charges just glance off and don't do anything or just kind of stop and do nothing. I've seen it happen to dudes charging me too.

Like this:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/epilot5280/video/37088754

Also needing to get 15 kills with HE trip mines but nerfing them to only do 72 damage can suck a giant dick.

you have to shoot people with a pistol right before they walk into it, it sucks. or just pray someone wounded walks into it. it blows because they were 99 damage at launch, and claymores in bf4 are 100. I don't think the dudes in ww1 designed those bombs to wound (for the most part).

I spent all night and finally got the 10 squad heals thing unlocked. god drat what a slog. Oh what's this? the next level is 10,000 total healing points? :suicide:

Also i found a nazi with a backwards swastika and made fun of him on the mic until he quit the server. gently caress nazis.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 27, 2017

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I mean if it got them into range you get an assist counts as kill I'd be slightly less annoyed.

My friend and I are just going to spend a few games on opposite teams grinding the harder ones to get, because these new unlocks are just arbitrarily tedious

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Appart from support (I unlocked almost everything there), what are good (class level 1 or 2) starter weapons for the other three classes?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Guillermus posted:

Appart from support (I unlocked almost everything there), what are good (class level 1 or 2) starter weapons for the other three classes?

All the medic guns are kinda good tbh, but the Mondragon was most people's first upgrade at launch. I just had to swap back for it for an unlock assignment and I had forgotten just how good it was.

I struggled with most assault guns. The M10 Hunter is the best shotgun, and the Automatico trench/storm is great for hip firing but you gotta be right up close. You can tap fire the Automatico to get some decent ranged shots though. If you have Premium get the Ribeyrolles as it's basically Hellriegel good in the right situation.

Scout is my jam, but I'm into ironsights and bayonet charges. I adore the Gewehr 95 INFANTRY as it has no sweet spot and it fires fast enough that you can land a second shot on target before they scurry into cover. The G98 is better once you get used to it, but you have to adjust for the bolt cycling throwing off your aim for the second shot (which at the right range, you won't need because it hits like a truck). The G95 will always be my goto though, I have 7 service stars on that baby. Ask someone else about scopes because gently caress scopes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Guillermus posted:

assault mp18 is p great

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks you both for the advice. Going to work on unlocking everything because I'm a sperg, like in BF4 PC I did the 500 kill for every main weapon.

I forgot something about battlefield. It is how easy is to be on top of the scoreboard just by dropping health and ammo because 90% (and I'm being generous) of pubbies are retards that only go for kills. Now that I'm getting used to the guns and combat feel I'm having a blast and sometimes it feels awesome when you advance slowly with all the team pushing at the same time. BC2, BF3 and 4 pushed the "squad" feel while this is more of a massive infantry game. It helps a lot having less vehicles overall and maps being big enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Galacia is one of the worst maps I've ever played for a Battlefield series. A giant flat map with a bunch of towers, spawns for Artillery Trucks preferentially... it's like DICE took all the worst poo poo about battlefield and encouraged it for one map. I also don't understand the point of having an armored train behemoth on the map when it can only help one Conquest point, an Airship maybe would have made more sense. Just really stupid all around.