Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
[quote="“Proteus Jones”" post="“476805322”"]
Yep. As soon as I said “works fine for me” it went and proved me wrong and I can’t get it to work right again. I may have hallucinated the entire thing.
[/quote]

I just measured something and it was very off. Also I measured the same thing again and it was different than before, still wrong, and in "chained" models I tried to measure upwards at a right angle it moved my first line drastically.

Just sayin'. I know this ain't supposed to be surgical accuracy but when do you trust it and when do you give it the side-eye? You know? So you can basically never trust it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Case PSA:

Don't buy this case for your iPhone 8. It's loving garbage.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07565585S/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

Double PSA: don't bother ponying up for anything Lifeproof either. I snagged one for half off and still felt like I overpaid by 40 dollars. Garbage stuff for too many reasons I care to list, and I'm easy to please.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why are you buying phones that are like 5mm thick and then putting them in house brick cases?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Laserface posted:

Why are you buying phones that are like 5mm thick and then putting them in house brick cases?

People have kids, people drop their poo poo a lot, people punt their phone across the street every once in a while by accident. Not everyone is after the slim appeal anyways

just a couple reasons :shrug:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think my favourite thing about the iPhone is being able to buy a first party case that actually fits perfectly

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

does low power mode actually throttle the CPU? I guess what I'm asking is if my phone is on silent/DND and brightness is already turned down is it going to do anything?

eames
May 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

does low power mode actually throttle the CPU? I guess what I'm asking is if my phone is on silent/DND and brightness is already turned down is it going to do anything?

Yes it does some magic like CPU frequency throttling. In the case of more recent iPhone CPUs it probably disables the high performance cores. It also disables background refreshes, minimizes cell data usage, etc.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can confirm that 11.0.1 doesn't seem to fix the headphone problems. Worried that I may have dodgy hardware so I might just have to make some free time to check out the Apple Store. :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Is anyone's screenshot editing pop up not appearing any more? I don't even get the standard screen flash after a screenshot now. 6s+, iOS11.0.01

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Just tried it on the new update. Got the popup like on the original release. iPhone 6S.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

aarstar posted:

Just tried it on the new update. Got the popup like on the original release. iPhone 6S.

Do you have an accessibility shortcut set for triple click of home button by any chance?

E: hmm just turned that off, no difference

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Why, if asking Siri something on my AirPods, does the phone screen wake up even if the phone is in my pocket?

Also for calls. What the gently caress?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why, if asking Siri something on my AirPods, does the phone screen wake up even if the phone is in my pocket?

Also for calls. What the gently caress?

Silly code, that's life!

Screen wakes with the Siri interface when using CarPlay too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Feenix posted:

Yeah MeasureKit is pure trash.

It really is garbage. It told me a yardstick is 28 inches long. If it was 1-2 inches off sure, but 8 is pretty bad.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Apparently my speaker problem is because I didn't update to iOS 11. Which I can't do because an app I rely on doesn't work with it yet.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've been having a problem for a while with videos on iCloud Photo Library. I know that the video only gets downloaded onto the device on playback if it's not still store on the phone from recording time, but after moving to a new phone whenever I try to play a old video, the spinner will either just spin forever and not play the video, or spin for about 30 seconds, disappear and then the video still doesn't play anyway.

Is there a simple fix for this? Same happened on my old phone where the videos were recorded but had since dropped out from storage.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

Protocol7 posted:

It really is garbage. It told me a yardstick is 28 inches long. If it was 1-2 inches off sure, but 8 is pretty bad.

I found this to come in pretty handy

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GoldfishStew posted:

:vince:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Laserface posted:

Because I shatter screens several times a year and that gets expensive. With a case it happens less often. These things are really not built for abuse.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

GoldfishStew posted:

what do you accomplish in lying to a doll?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Haha. I got MeasureKit after seeing the recommendation here the first time and was wondering what I was missing since everything I measured was inaccurate. I haven't used it enough to figure this out but does it tend to measure up or down? There are things that would be useful to get higher than accurate readings - asking for a friend.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

rio posted:

Haha. I got MeasureKit after seeing the recommendation here the first time and was wondering what I was missing since everything I measured was inaccurate. I haven't used it enough to figure this out but does it tend to measure up or down? There are things that would be useful to get higher than accurate readings - asking for a friend.

In your case I imagine it won't detect anything worth measuring.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Evis posted:

Because I shatter screens several times a year and that gets expensive. With a case it happens less often. These things are really not built for abuse.

Have you considered not keeping your palms coated with astroglide?

I can't even fathom shattering a screen several times a year. I've done it once in the 10 years I've owned an iPhone.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I really like the iOS 11 feature that by disabling WiFi in control Center the phone almost instantly crashes and has to be hard reset.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

[quote="“Evis”" post="“476819661”"]
[/quote]

Don't blame the device for 100% user error. I'm super clumsy and I've never even had a noticeable scratch on an iPhone. The most protective case I've ever had was a clear Spigen.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ratjaculation posted:

I really like the iOS 11 feature that by disabling WiFi in control Center the phone almost instantly crashes and has to be hard reset.

Yeah, that hasn't happened to me.

My favorite feature though, I can't share to iMessage anymore. It's just not in my share-to list. It's insanely annoying.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

I do this on a daily basis and it has happened all of 0 times to me

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

Hmm works fine for me and I do that often.

ddogflex posted:

My favorite feature though, I can't share to iMessage anymore. It's just not in my share-to list. It's insanely annoying.

So if you go to photos, and hit share, there is no messages? What shows in the list when you tap the "More" button?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Don't blame the device for 100% user error. I'm super clumsy and I've never even had a noticeable scratch on an iPhone. The most protective case I've ever had was a clear Spigen.

How in the world did you read that from what he said? "Phone doesn't handle abuse well" = he knows he's abusing it, and a case makes it better able to stand up to the abuse.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ddogflex posted:

Yeah this is driving me loving nuts.

The Dave posted:

Hmm works fine for me and I do that often.

So if you go to photos, and hit share, there is no messages? What shows in the list when you tap the "More" button?

Literally everything but Messages. It's not even listed in More.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's still three for me too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RVProfootballer posted:

How in the world did you read that from what he said? "Phone doesn't handle abuse well" = he knows he's abusing it, and a case makes it better able to stand up to the abuse.

My point was that I too abuse my phone by most standards and it holds up incredibly well. Apple products are very sturdy. I just can't imagine what you have to do to physically destroy a device in a protective case multiple times a year.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Messages share option is also still there for me.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Copying a link using share sheet and pasting into messages pastes the link twice. Go to safari or App Store, do share, copy, then paste in messages. So annoying.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Copying a link using share sheet and pasting into messages pastes the link twice. Go to safari or App Store, do share, copy, then paste in messages. So annoying.

Shows up once for me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That Messages Share problem sounds kind of familiar. Maybe check to see if you’re signed in to both FaceTime and Messages with your appleid? (I may be confusing this with how to get Messages sent to your phone number on your iPad).

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Kilometers Davis posted:

The hardware just isn't built to handle much abuse. User error is going to happen and they just don't design for enough of it. Cases bring that up to an acceptable level for me. I should probably be using a BlackBerry or something but having access to the iOS App Store is nice.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

[quote="“Kilometers Davis”" post="“476828307”"]
My point was that I too abuse my phone by most standards and it holds up incredibly well. Apple products are very sturdy. I just can’t imagine what you have to do to physically destroy a device in a protective case multiple times a year.
[/quote]

I mean if it's not in a case I inevitably shatter the screen from drops or whatever, not that that happens with a big case on it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If you wanna use a case and or screen protector then do so. If you don't want to, then don't.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Exactly.