Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

MANime in the sheets posted:

I can't stand it. Switching back and forth between chats is incredibly slow, and having multiple threaded conversations is driving me up the wall. So much scrolling.

Same. We've tried to standardize on it and it just feels like a haphazard platform bested by just about everything in class. But o365 integration means it's a hard sell to managwkwnt to do anything else.

So we end up with a fracturing of communication between projects (who use project resources for whatever they want) and Teams ends up as a weird half used thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I don't see this going over well tbh. The #1 thing people in my organization use SfB for is to conduct interviews with potential hires (external contacts with consumer skype)
That being said I don't think anyone has successfully been able to do that because they never add the interviewee's Skype a day in advance like they're supposed to.

I wonder if Teams is even going to have the ability to contact external contacts let alone Skype users.

Of the 5? different "collaboration" things I use Skype remains hands down the worst one. Lets see: Skype, WebEx, GoToMeeting, Amazon Chime, Zoom. All on the same computer, same connection, skype just chokes. I'm even running Windows 10. Oh you want to screen share? Hope you enjoy your whole computer running at 5 fps, audio dropouts, and other artifacts.

I can't wait.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
I've only been at my current new job for about a month. Just had a recruiter I worked with reach out to me about a job offer that matches my skill set ridiculously well, at about $20k more per year and it's 95% remote (quarterly trip to HQ). What are all your thoughts on being apprehensive on job hopping? It's sad that after only a month here I feel like I already know it's not a great fit long term (slow as hell, getting pidgenholed into a specific technology), but I feel like if I don't at least give it a go for a year I haven't really tried...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Of the 5? different "collaboration" things I use Skype remains hands down the worst one. Lets see: Skype, WebEx, GoToMeeting, Amazon Chime, Zoom. All on the same computer, same connection, skype just chokes. I'm even running Windows 10. Oh you want to screen share? Hope you enjoy your whole computer running at 5 fps, audio dropouts, and other artifacts.

I can't wait.

I have literally none of these problems, and we use Skype all of the time. Are you on prem, or 365?

Also, Teams threaded chat is the worst thing about teams. Otherwise, it's.. fine. Not great, just fine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TheFace posted:

I've only been at my current new job for about a month. Just had a recruiter I worked with reach out to me about a job offer that matches my skill set ridiculously well, at about $20k more per year and it's 95% remote (quarterly trip to HQ). What are all your thoughts on being apprehensive on job hopping? It's sad that after only a month here I feel like I already know it's not a great fit long term (slow as hell, getting pidgenholed into a specific technology), but I feel like if I don't at least give it a go for a year I haven't really tried...

At one month, if you get this new job you don't even need to put your current job on your resume. Just pretend it never happened.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheFace posted:

Its too big a jump to ignore on its own. The rest just makes the decision easier.

If you don't look into it you would probably regret it.

The Fool posted:

At one month, if you get this new job you don't even need to put your current job on your resume. Just pretend it never happened.

At worst you put the start and end dates wrong on your resume and feign ignorance if someone digs up the details. "Oh yeah, I took a two week break in there between switching jobs, sorry." Nobody will know about the company you only stayed a month at.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 26, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

Its too big a jump to ignore on its own. The rest just makes the decision easier.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Fool posted:

I have literally none of these problems, and we use Skype all of the time. Are you on prem, or 365?

Also, Teams threaded chat is the worst thing about teams. Otherwise, it's.. fine. Not great, just fine.

I don't know what to tell you. It's Microsoft at its finest. Here's the thing: It doesn't matter if I'm on prem or 365, it's a pile of poo poo. WebEx is second, but it works so long as you don't spend too much money with Cisco and try to add 7 figures worth of video conferencing stuff.

The Fool posted:

+1, take the raise, be frank with your employer.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/912395167654727681

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

At worst you put the start and end dates wrong on your resume and feign ignorance if someone digs up the details. "Oh yeah, I took a two week break in there between switching jobs, sorry." Nobody will know about the company you only stayed a month at.

H110Hawk posted:

+1, take the raise, be frank with your employer.

Both of these

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TheFace posted:

Go for it. Really, as long as you don't have a history of job hopping, who gives a poo poo. Fudge a week or two on your resume and be done with it. "Yeah company X is giving me a significantly higher offer that also suits my needs and is a better culture fit for me."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I think it's easier to bounce at 1 month than like 6 months. If you include it on your resume at all, you just explain the company wasn't a good fit. That's not unusual.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Ooh, ooh, do Azure Storage Accounts next

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's like Microsoft took the satirical diagram of their org chart with every business unit pointing a gun at each other one and decided to use that as the blueprint for their products.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

It's like Microsoft took the satirical diagram of their org chart with every business unit pointing a gun at each other one and decided to use that as the blueprint for their products.

I like this one

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I was expecting comedy, and outside of the fact that Yammer remains a thing nothing about this was funny. I want those 5 minutes back. :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How many Office 365 products now have a feature where employees can write their own blogs? I think SharePoint has two, and Yammer is sort of that as well. For a feature that nobody wants or uses.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm sure with Microsoft's track record of merging different products together, Teams will end up being a lightweight and effective product. Especially as the groups stuff is derived from SharePoint, well known for its performance at scale.

It's poo poo at the moment, but it's not launched either so…

Even this infographic for Teams is larger than mIRC.

Edit: so if you can delete Groups (which deletes everything associated with it) then what happens when someone puts in a FOIA request? I'm assuming you can run an eDiscovery or it archives the groups/sharepoint sites/whatever?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 26, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah:

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2015/12/09/office-365-groups-now-supports-ediscovery-litigation-hold-dynamic-membership-and-more/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/skypehybridguy/2017/07/19/ediscovery-and-content-search-in-microsoft-teams/

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sickening posted:

What he said. As a recruiter I couldn't care less about a gap shorter than a month or two. Even after a few months you could still explain it away as a good career move. As it stands now just omit from you resume/LinkedIn.

Go!

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
I told the recruiter to pull the trigger on giving the company my info, we'll see where it goes from there. I figured I was getting worked up for no reason at this point as I haven't even talked to them yet to see if they'd be a better fit for me.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I started the job I am at now back around mid March and only ever took a half a day of PTO, so I am basically going to take every Friday off that isn't already a holiday for the rest of the year.

We have summer Fridays work from home so it cut down on commute but that ended earlier this month. Now I'lll have 3 day weekends and then a break between Christmas and New Years I don't even have to use vacation days for. Pretty chill.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Teams at least doesn't crash every hour life S4B. Too bad the first iteration is ugly.

That said, do you we know what caused the Equifax hack yet?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Does anyone here deal with Macs? There's been some nervous lead-up towards their forced conversion to APFS in 10.13 and people anticipated that image deployment might become difficult or impossible.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's covered in

https://www.jamf.com/blog/whats-next-with-apfs-weve-got-answers/

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Have y'all seen this guys posts? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811789&userid=105896

It's awesome. I hope our recruiting gets this kind of email.

E: fixed link

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 27, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

jaegerx posted:

Have y'all seen this guys posts? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811789&perpage=40

One of 3 people on my ignore list, congrats to him

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

One of 3 people on my ignore list, congrats to him

I'm not? I'm hurt

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Last year when I first started this job, one of my first tasks was to put together a list of computers that were 3 years or older so we could budget for replacements.

It took me nearly a week to gather all of the information, format it in excel and provide a good estimate.

This year, I just copied the info out of PDQ Inventory, looked up the current price of our standard laptop and I'm done.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

jaegerx posted:

Have y'all seen this guys posts? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811789&perpage=40

"Big nipples, big life" really would be a solid thread title choice nearly anywhere.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

"Big nipples, big life" really would be a solid thread title choice nearly anywhere.

Yes bigly

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

gently caress it pasted wrong in awful app. Ugh lemme find it.

E: my bad. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811789&userid=105896

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 27, 2017

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh it's the "Dear Contracts," guy!!!

I really really hope those are real.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The Fool posted:

Ive had very few problems with SFB, mainly having trouble clearing notifications of missed messages, I couldn't figure out how to get group chat notifications, and it seems to make my laptop to take FOREVER to boot. But Teams can take upwards of 2 seconds to switch between chats, and I sometimes think about doing violence to whoever came up with threaded chats.

FWIW, as far as I know both our Teams and SFB instances are hosted by MS, though I won't be 100% sure until the first outage.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

EVIL Gibson posted:

Give me this resource on how to deploy virtual environments for both 2.7 and 3.0 on the same box that is not someone's blog.

virtualenv py2 -p /usr/local/bin/python

source py2/bin/activate

There's python 2

virtualenv py3 -p /usr/local/bin/python3

source py3/bin/activate

There's python 3.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

1000101 posted:

virtualenv py2 -p /usr/local/bin/python

source py2/bin/activate

There's python 2

virtualenv py3 -p /usr/local/bin/python3

source py3/bin/activate

There's python 3.

Thanks, I only have experience using multiple versions of python using conda, but I was hoping someone would step up with virtual envs since I knew it couldn't be more difficult. (plus I was too drat lazy to spend the 5 minutes to find the information)

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tab8715 posted:

Anyone at Ignite next week?

I'm here and my feet are ready to fall off, this place is massive. Not sure how much walking I've done since my fitbit won't sync but between that and the stupid heat crossing over to the expo hall I'm shot. Thank goodness for the vendor dinners and booth people fawning all over me,trying to sell me poo poo.

You guys going to Universal Thursday night?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

tomapot posted:

I'm here and my feet are ready to fall off, this place is massive. Not sure how much walking I've done since my fitbit won't sync but between that and the stupid heat crossing over to the expo hall I'm shot. Thank goodness for the vendor dinners and booth people fawning all over me,trying to sell me poo poo.

You guys going to Universal Thursday night?

Did you complete your buzzword bingo yet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like this one

I think the Apple one's about six years out of date, considering the red dot is dead now :rip:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And that's when the entire organisation unraveled.